Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Giant Isopod posted:

If you just want the monstrous aspect instead of hard hitting big dues, the night stalkers list is basically all monsterous creatures.

Yup, Night Stalkers has lots of monstery regular-sized troops. They also have some Large Infantry (Butchers) and Large Cavalry (Fiends) that can be used as core, and then five Monsters to pick from plus a War Engine.

e. Oh yeah, one more thing!

When you're multibasing, you can stretch your actual models a bit. You need 50%+1 of the called-for models per base, but that means with Large infantry/cavalry, you can plop two on an appropriate base and you've got a Regiment, or four on the right sized-base and call it a Horde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Leperflesh posted:

All of the armies require one regiment or horde per monster.
Yeah, I understood that.
I was just wondering if there are armies that regularly field as many monsters as they possibly can within the limits the game sets, or if that's generally a trap choice and you should take at most a single monster.

Forces of Nature and Nightstalkers look like good options. I should end up with a good foundation for FoN anyway by buying Neritica stuff, but if I find good miniatures to use for Nightstalkers I'll take a look at lists for them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well like I said I haven't really played... ok, at all, but what I hear everywhere is that this game does not have much in the way of trap choices. That doesn't mean you can just totally ignore compositional advantages, I mean, it's probably a pretty bad idea to field an army with absolutely no ranged attacks for example. But I think given you're forced to have some troops in order to have a monster, you should be able to max out your monster options and still have a viable army.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
So what are some good nightstalker model options? I'm going to use the strigori vampire from the terrorgeist kit as the night haunter living legend dude, and some reaper bones for the banshee, reuse my wights from the undead army for the wight like things... but I have no idea what to use for troops. I have tyranid models out the butt, but I can't see them really working. Maybe some parts for conversations?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Salamanders are a good choice if you want to pair one to one monsters to regiments. There are a bunch of monster options and most are cheap.

The one thing I'd say though is that if you wanted a monster themed army, there's nothing to really stop you from sticking monsters on regiment or horde bases and fielding a legal army in that sense. Obviously you'd be breaking the 50%+1 rule, but I personally wouldn't care so long as the monsters looked good.

What I mean is, you could take an elf army and pick a regiment of archers, but instead of modeling 11-20 archers, you would just stick a hydra on the 100x80 base. Obviously you'd tell your opponent that it plays as archers. I doubt a tournament would allow it without your monster choices being incredibly obvious, but for casual play it would be perfectly fine.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
There are some really powerful units like ogre shooters and breath weapons/lightning bolt in general.

Kingdoms of men lack anything particularly powerful and are kinda slow for what they are. Nothing in the KoM list is particularly scary.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Panzeh posted:

There are some really powerful units like ogre shooters and breath weapons/lightning bolt in general.

Kingdoms of men lack anything particularly powerful and are kinda slow for what they are. Nothing in the KoM list is particularly scary.

Horde of Arquebusiers with either +1 Ra or +12" paired with a Bane Chanting Wizard is pretty drat devastating.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

So I've been wanting a unit of abyssal half-breeds for my abyssal dwarf army and I'm in the market for ten of either the half-breeds or orc gore riders*. If you happen to have either of those I'd be down for doing a trade. Unpainted and unassembled would be preferable, but I've done more than my fair share of ebay rescues that it doesn't really bother me so long as they're in good condition.

* I'd actually prefer these because I've converted so much of the AD army at this point that I may as well go full-hog with it.
I don't have anything like that, only a ton of dwarves and undead. Anyway, I'm in Denmark so posting anything anywhere is almost as expensive as buying things from new. It's really killed the trading around here.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Atlas Hugged posted:

Horde of Arquebusiers with either +1 Ra or +12" paired with a Bane Chanting Wizard is pretty drat devastating.

Ogre shooters are faster, better in melee, have more range, better defense, and brutal for 5 points more. In terms of premier shooters, it's generally going to be the ogre shooters, then elven archers(very good platform for buffs, bane-chant and piercing upgrades go very well with the 4+ elite bows), then probably the dirt cheap goblin archers.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ogres are only 15/17 on nerve though compared to 20/22 for Arquebusiers, so in a world of piercing (2) counterbattery they're a little easier to remove from the board - once you get in range of course, which is the tricky part, unless you're using 48" war engines.

Elves have the same +4 DE and 21/23 nerve, the pointy eared fiends, but lack any native piercing.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 10, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

NTRabbit posted:

Ogres are only 15/17 on nerve though compared to 20/22 for Arquebusiers, so in a world of piercing (2) counterbattery they're a little easier to remove from the board - once you get in range of course, which is the tricky part, unless you're using 48" war engines.

Elves have the same +4 DE and 21/23 nerve, the pointy eared fiends, but lack any native piercing.

Piercing is a little bit easier to get access to in terms of buffs than accuracy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah true, every wizard type can take bane chant I think, whereas boosting accuracy can only be done with the 45 point brew of keen-eyeness, to one unit.

Which I do, because why wouldn't you? Especially since Ogres don't get access to bane chant, though it's not so bad considering everything bar the Goblins comes with at least piercing (1) to start with.

A horde of Ogre shooters with the brew is a fearsome unit, but it's also just one unit, and relying on one unit to carry the army is a recipe for disaster.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 10, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah true, every wizard type can take bane chant I think, whereas boosting accuracy can only be done with the 45 point brew of keen-eyeness, to one unit.

Which I do, because why wouldn't you? Especially since Ogres don't get access to bane chant, though it's not so bad considering everything bar the Goblins comes with at least piercing (1) to start with.

A horde of Ogre shooters with the brew is a fearsome unit, but it's also just one unit, and relying on one unit to carry the army is a recipe for disaster.

It is, but it's a pretty easy unit to use, 36" range means getting to shoot first a lot of the time, it isn't totally hosed in melee, there's a lot of good reasons to ally in just for that unit. Pierce 2 obviates the need for bane chant.

The real money shooting is the drat breath weapons/lightning bolts where you hit on 4s and can stand safely behind your own dudes, no problem. The range is short but there's no modifiers to hit.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My mage was nearly the MVP of my game today sniping the poo poo out of things from a forest with his lightning bolt. That poo poo is nasty.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Electric Hobo posted:

I don't have anything like that, only a ton of dwarves and undead. Anyway, I'm in Denmark so posting anything anywhere is almost as expensive as buying things from new. It's really killed the trading around here.

Dang, that sucks. If shipping wasn't so murderous I'd send the badgers your way anyway.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I've come up with a way to provide extra rules information to people who want it in Battlescribe. You just make a unit type called "Rules" and put zero-cost entries in that category that simply add rules entries to the printout. I think this is a decent way to go, but I am not sure how far to go with this kind of poo poo before considering it outright piracy.

Maybe army-specific commands, but I don't want to prevent people from buying the drat rulebook. Thoughts on this?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I'm just about done with my Dwarfs other than a few mortars and I'm already looking at my next KoW Army (if I can dodge Dropzone Commander long enough) - and I'm thinking of a Nightstalkers list. What are you guys using for your proxies in them?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

signalnoise posted:

I've come up with a way to provide extra rules information to people who want it in Battlescribe. You just make a unit type called "Rules" and put zero-cost entries in that category that simply add rules entries to the printout. I think this is a decent way to go, but I am not sure how far to go with this kind of poo poo before considering it outright piracy.

Maybe army-specific commands, but I don't want to prevent people from buying the drat rulebook. Thoughts on this?

I'm not really interested in the rules explicitly being included. I was more interested in organic ways to enforce or inform on composition limitations. For instance, you can add up to 5 extra Marionettes into a unit. This doesn't need to be listed anywhere because you've capped additional models to 5. I can click all I want and it won't go up past that. But for weapon upgrades, I can pick all three even though I'm actually limited to two. Maybe it should say "Weapon Upgrades (Max Two)" as the category name?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm not really interested in the rules explicitly being included. I was more interested in organic ways to enforce or inform on composition limitations. For instance, you can add up to 5 extra Marionettes into a unit. This doesn't need to be listed anywhere because you've capped additional models to 5. I can click all I want and it won't go up past that. But for weapon upgrades, I can pick all three even though I'm actually limited to two. Maybe it should say "Weapon Upgrades (Max Two)" as the category name?

That's what I ended up doing, yeah. I discovered that in a selection group, the name of the group doesn't get added to the printout, so it can be used instructively. :) :)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Deadzone question. Do shields block damage from fire? If you go by keywords, fire causes "potential damage" and shields can block "potential damage" but in my mind if you are on fire there's nothing a shield can do about that. It's not addressed in the FAQ that I can see.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

Dang, that sucks. If shipping wasn't so murderous I'd send the badgers your way anyway.

No worries, I'll get a pile of them from somewhere :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Deadzone question. Do shields block damage from fire? If you go by keywords, fire causes "potential damage" and shields can block "potential damage" but in my mind if you are on fire there's nothing a shield can do about that. It's not addressed in the FAQ that I can see.

Energy Shields are actually a good defense against fire specifically, as they block damage prior to armor, and It Burns! damage is AP1.

quote:

Energy shields are designed to absorb the energy of incoming attacks, whether this is from particle weapons or kinetic energy devices.

The way I see this working is that Energy Shields are skin-tight so to speak, rather than a bubble.

If you were to interpret the continuous effect as not an attack for the purposes of energy shields, you'd have to assume the same for things like falling or knockback damage, which is a pill I'm hesitant to swallow.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 11, 2016

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Random box results:
1 undead standard bearer
a bag of dungeon saga orcs & goblins + 1 loose angry green fellow
1 lone (and very warped) dungeon saga skeleton warrior
chest & barrel
1 ogre hero (Grokamok?)
bag of dwarf badger riders
sprue of men at arms
sprue of succubi
sprue of lower abyssals

The real winner here is the tiny demon familiars that come with the abyssals, those guys are adorable.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Here`s hoping for badgers - my red and white canuck dwarves need some localized mounts. Not sure how to paint that pattern on the back though.

Giant Isopod posted:

The real winner here is the tiny demon familiars that come with the abyssals, those guys are adorable.

Two of my D&D players called dibs on using them as familiars, which I consider good review.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Doing a bit of rough math shows that between the battle forces and what I've got from Deadzone, I should easily be able to put together 2000 point forces for Firefight. Does anyone have any idea what the standard game size for that is going to look like? Honestly, I think smaller is better and somewhere between 1250-1750 sounds about right to me just from looking at what I would be able to field in a 2000 point force (basically everything). Does anyone have thoughts yet on squad size? Does it make sense to always max out squads or are 5 man teams going to be totally fine?

The only thing I'm annoyed at is that you only get 2 Black Talons with the Asterian battle force, which isn't legal to field. Guess I have to wait until those go retail so I can flesh out the unit. It's basically the only thing I can't use. I guess they'll be fine for Deadzone in the time being.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pretty sure I've read that Firefight standard is probably going to be 1000-1500, and once you start hitting 2000 points the advice is to switch to Warpath.

I remember being angry about the Blacktalons not having enough in the box ages ago, but they assured me there would be

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 13, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm also digging the organization rules, which basically amount to "take what you want, but not too many big things". Should result in a lot of flexibility, but I think that directly leads to questions of balance.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
KoW has done a good job of it at least

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Kings of War has mostly done a good job of it. With the number of factions and units, balance is always going to be tough and it's tough to draw one to one comparisons between different units in different armies since in theory points are balanced internally. But at the same time, units that appear in multiple lists should not have the points in both lists.

For instance, Forest Shamblers cost the same in Elves and Forces of Nature. But it's cheap to get multiple units with Surge in FoN and Elves only have access to Tree Herders which are fairly expensive.

In theory Firefight can get around major balance problems through unit upgrades and unit model count. If 5+ Steel Warriors can take on 3+ Black Talons or stand up to 1 Strider, you don't need limitations on what kinds of units you can take. And restricting heavy tanks is really more a thematic limit since the goal was to get back to the scale of games in 3e 40k.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

A standard game of Firefight according to the rulebook is 1250.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

signalnoise posted:

A standard game of Firefight according to the rulebook is 1250.

I've been skimming and the only place I saw 1250 referenced was in the example army in the force building section. Earlier in the book they show a picture of a 1600 point army. I'm with that being the norm though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've been skimming and the only place I saw 1250 referenced was in the example army in the force building section. Earlier in the book they show a picture of a 1600 point army. I'm with that being the norm though.

Page 78, Recommended Games Sizes callout box on the bottom right of the page.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

signalnoise posted:

Page 78, Recommended Games Sizes callout box on the bottom right of the page.

This really changes my approach. I feel like I can just make the models I think are cool and pick and choose what I want for each game.

Now that I've got the final rules I'm feeling a lot better about Firefight.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Agreed, I really like the rules, just not the way they're written. I think I'll actually prefer Firefight to Deadzone. I like the idea of having little modules of dudes. Firefight reminds me a lot of that game The Last Remnant in how it works.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Have any of the UK backers got their Warpath/whatever pledge? I'm waiting on just the rulebook and bonuses, as I've already tonnes of Mantic stuff from going all in on Deadzone.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

In the last update they said they would be shipping to places farther away from Britain first and then moving closer to home, in an effort to sort of even out the release schedule.

As with all things related to Mantic's supply chain, I am sure this will gently caress up somehow. Either way I'm in Germany and haven't received anything yet.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

can anyone explain how factions work in kings of war to me?

I have a bunch of skeletons/demons/misc that I got from a crazy box that I want to turn into a Kings of war army.... can you mix factions?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You pick one faction as your core. At least 75% of your points must come from that faction. The other 25% can come from any faction with the same or neutral alignment. You cannot take living legends in the allied faction. You cannot cast spells between factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

awesome, so I can make a bunch of skeletons, with assorted undead/demon poo poo, and go from there. perfect.

Thinking of basing on undead army?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 14, 2016