Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Huh!

I was not expecting that answer, but that explains another reference/game tidbit elsewhere on the internet.

though admittedly, its for an aerospace equivalent asset, not a tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

does anyone else strip out most of their head armor? headshots are pretty rare so I feel safe cutting that down to like 6 or so.

Unless I have ammo stored there, I run 0 to 2 head armor. If I do have ammo i have 8. Head armor is useless 95 percent of the time.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If you're going to run head armor it should be either 6 so an IS AC20 isn't instantly lethal or 16 so double gauss isn't. Everything else is fluff.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/807022039802384384

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/807022233847640064

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/807022376487485440

They really shoulda made this clearer but it does give each variant some out-of-box usability and makes them unique

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

aniviron posted:

If you're going to run head armor it should be either 6 so an IS AC20 isn't instantly lethal or 16 so double gauss isn't. Everything else is fluff.

My logic is this: Arty splash damage is the bigger concern imo. Enough to survive a couple of hits and not risk the ammo being cooked off is all I really need. Otherwise 1 or 2 is enough to discourage headhunting by people paying attention to the paper doll. On lights it doesn't matter, roll with 0 on that poo poo.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

They changed artillery so it no longer does head damage.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I will usually headshot people if given the opportunity. People are really unusual about stripping excessive mounts of armor from their heads and legs.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Commoners posted:

I will usually headshot people if given the opportunity. People are really unusual about stripping excessive mounts of armor from their heads and legs.

we really should shoot legs more often tbh

whenever we do it in scouting mode it results in a lot of dead robots right quick

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Pattonesque posted:

we really should shoot legs more often tbh

whenever we do it in scouting mode it results in a lot of dead robots right quick

Isn't it old wisdom that legs are the best targets because they can take damage from all sides, negating twists?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Commoners posted:

It's more you're unusual in targetting those. Not that that isn't sensible, obviously

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sard posted:

Isn't it old wisdom that legs are the best targets because they can take damage from all sides, negating twists?

Legs in scouting in particular can set your team up to win pretty easily, because most people run brawling builds in scouting. It's extremely rare for people to be running things like ppcs or lasers larger than mediums. I've won multiple games as an lpl locust by just shooting stormcrow swarms in the legs and they can do nothing due to the fact that they're boating streaks or srms.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Commoners posted:

Legs in scouting in particular can set your team up to win pretty easily, because most people run brawling builds in scouting. It's extremely rare for people to be running things like ppcs or lasers larger than mediums. I've won multiple games as an lpl locust by just shooting stormcrow swarms in the legs and they can do nothing due to the fact that they're boating streaks or srms.

the LPL Locust and LPL Spider both own in scouting for this reason. a team of four on Polar Highlands is like invincible if they're up against mediums

also:

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/807021644833124352
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/807021833828478976
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/807022509467914240
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/807022644310593537

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Ah, he reports to russ and paul, thus the heart of the problem still beats.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Cyrano4747

How utterly incompetent was that pubbie Timberwolf jfc that was awful.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
After like a million years I decide to download MWO again.

Ohh they added a tutorial. Seems decent enough, should have had one from the start but hey.

Immediately get kicked out of the tutorial for maintenance.

Great start.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Gaghskull posted:

You can make a SRM42 Cyclops that owns even harder. Record so far is 2100 damage with it. Then a locust found me and I was powerless to stop him.

I've never understood this, ever since HSR poo poo got fixed I've found SRMs one of the most reliable light killing weapons, especially locusts, way more effective than trying to wave lasers across them.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 10, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Ash Rose posted:

I've never understood this, ever since HSR poo poo got fixed I've found SRMs one of the most reliable light killing weapons, especially locusts, way more effective than trying to wave lasers across them.

He's bad at aiming and/or has bad internet, maybe.

Edit: new patch notes up. C gauss rifle 100% explosion lol

https://mwomercs.com/news/2016/12/1678-patch-notes-1490-13dec2016

Srm heat nerfs RIP

Artificer fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 10, 2016

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

7c Nickel posted:

After like a million years I decide to download MWO again.

Ohh they added a tutorial. Seems decent enough, should have had one from the start but hey.

Immediately get kicked out of the tutorial for maintenance.

Great start.

Sucks that you got bad timing but do it anyway. Game gives you a buncha money for doing the tutorial and some stuff in it.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
For some reason, I am actually liking this game. Any chance I could get a unit invite? IGN is the same forum name.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Artificer posted:

Srm heat nerfs RIP

lol 100% explosion chance. like everything clan isn't automatically cased anyways.

Also, Mist Lynx getting a full quirk pass guys! 5 bucks says they still suck!

Also also, those mg buffs, omg. component hunting time. the archer is gonna be a god now.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Artificer posted:

Srm heat nerfs RIP

I ran out of ammo. There is no small laser when you SRM42, only more missiles.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I tried to read the patch notes, but attention is hard. Can someone tell me which parts affect me?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
SRM nerfs look like higher ghost heat, so just be careful when alpha-ing :)

also several mechs got their structure bonuses turned into armor bonuses -- the Victor gets +23 CT and +16 torso armor along with others.

which could make them decent agile brawlers again?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Gaghskull posted:

I ran out of ammo. There is no small laser when you SRM42, only more missiles.

Oh. Fair enough then.

I got the Missile Boat Jenner IIC right on time I guess. :saddowns:

I also own and have Mastered the Arctic Cheetah. Are any of the other Jenner IIC variants worth buying now? Seems like ballistics are out of the question for most lights anyways, the ACH can do lasers well, but a heavier light mech energy boat might make for more fun poking at medium range with MLAS or MPLs? Dunno if it is worth it though, since the Jenner IIC lacks ECM, and is bigger to boot, though it can go faster and have more heat sinks.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 10, 2016

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Baby-Wub Hellbringer

I ran this stupid build with goons tonight and it ended up being way more effective than it should have. I think people were ignoring it because of the SPLs and paying for it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Goast posted:

For some reason, I am actually liking this game. Any chance I could get a unit invite? IGN is the same forum name.

mumble.goonrathi.com password is mellon

it costs unit cbills to invite, have a lot of transient players probably wont get a unit invite unless ya stick around for a bit

really no big reason to be in a unit unless you are doing faction play. That may be a thing though next patch has numerous changes to cw

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Mist lynx may be decent if you run them right, but they're only going to be good if you're running set of 8s on them. The A is going to have a 25% energy cooldown for two energy slots which is pretty drat good for a clan mech, the C is going to have 20% cooldown and 10% heat reduction on two energy slots, and the prime is going to have 30% missile cooldown which can be pretty drat nasty if the locust S is anything to go by. The +20 armor on the arms is a huge thing for them, because the old ways of mist lynx murdering was to just blast their dumb little arms off and laugh at them.

The structure -> more armor buffs on the underperforming IS mechs (panther, urbie, wolfhound, vindicator, victor) is pretty cool. The UMR60 in particular is turning pretty drat nasty, since it is getting its structure quirk numbers boosted and turned into 20 CT armor and 14 armor everywhere else. Victor will still be bad because it is in the 80 tonner identity crisis hell zone, and its weapon slots and hard points aren't very good.

Trebs get some funny quirk boosts but for the most part are still going to be the same plainly average mech that they were.

The gauss rifle nerf is pretty cool, but it won't do too much to reduce the prevalence of the PPC/Gauss meta. Clan mechs are getting a modest nerf to their combat effectiveness tankiness because their rifles will now always explode and are sticking to 5 HP, their MGs are at 5hp now, and their heat sink hp is being reduced by 33%. All of those combined with MGs being much nastier mean that they're going to lose heat sinks insanely fast if they get their internals lit up by MGs. The pirates bane may be worth dumping ferro fibrous and running small lasers instead of SPLs with the ISSL range buff and machine gun buff incoming. I'll experiment with that.

External double heat sinks are getting a pretty nice buff from 1.1 to 1.5 heat capacity increase, and IS are being brought up .01 dissipation to be in line with clan. Standard heat sinks are getting a .01 buff in heat dissipation. This makes standard heat sink boating a little bit better in regard to heat dissipation, but less good about their original advantage in giving you a fuckoff huge heat capacity advantage over singles.

Gonna knock an SRM off my archer and replace it with a streak 2 for spamming into people's faces to avoid the nasty ghost heat increase. Doing that may help a little with poking lights that I otherwise can't swat.

Mech collisions being smoothed out is cool and good, and if it works out I'm going to be nasty as gently caress in knife fights with my locusts.

Also lol what the gently caress, clan ACs are getting a "buff" to be brought in line with the UACs. They now have the same cooldown as their counterparts, but still take up one more crit slot that UACs. What a piece of poo poo garbage weapon.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 10, 2016

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It sure is neat of them to keep cramming these new game modes (Stock, 1v1) into Private Lobby only. Wouldn't want people actually playing them... :pgi:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

It sure is neat of them to keep cramming these new game modes (Stock, 1v1) into Private Lobby only. Wouldn't want people actually playing them... :pgi:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Gauss rifles had 5 health? I have never had one survive a hit after its section was opened up, no matter how minor. I am also surprised to learn that they had a chance to not explode.

Plek fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 10, 2016

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Plek posted:

Gauss rifles had 5 health? I have never had one survive a hit after its section was opened up, no matter how minor. I am also surprised to learn that they had a chance to not explode.

Normal slotted items have 10 health. Gauss rifles break super easy.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Plek posted:

That's one medium laser hit. So yeah made of glass. Beautiful, shiny and highly explosive glass.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Regarding the buffs to several mechs' toughness quirks:

As far as I know, the only difference between 10 points of armour and 10 points of structure is that you can lose equipment while the structure is being damaged. If a component is empty, there is no difference between armour and structure quirks.

So the Urbie R60, which was already super tough pre-patch because you could equip a STD180 and deadside with its +10 structure quirks, will not see any benefit from having the quirks moved to armour (although separately it's also getting 4 extra HP in the side torsos and 10 in the CT, so I'm definitely gonna see how loving indestructible it's now).

Whereas the other quirked light mechs, which run XL engines, will now be significantly more resilient to XL-checking, but not any tougher against CT destruction.

Is all of that correct?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rysithusiku posted:

Only ones you can't sell are (L) loyalty variants. But they came with their associated bays anyways so just think of them as free and ignore em if you dont like em.

Protip: If you really hate them, you can strip them from their parts and re-use/sell those.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Commoners posted:

Normal slotted items have 10 health. Gauss rifles break super easy.

Gauss also explode like ammo. That''s important to know. They will remove whatever component they are attached to when they go.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Faction play is now using quick play modes with respawn. That sounds interesting.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Whereas the other quirked light mechs, which run XL engines, will now be significantly more resilient to XL-checking, but not any tougher against CT destruction.

Is all of that correct?

Critical hits to open components have 15% of the damage done overflow to the internal structure's hp. An ac/10 doing a 3x crit will have 10 damage land on three components, and 15% of those 10-10-10 crits will become 4.5 damage to the internal structure. Having extra armor on your mechs will make it so that you don't get hit with that extra damage while also keeping your internal components alive and in the fight longer. It's why machine guns are completely ineffective against armor and just shred internals- A machine gun usually does one damage per second, but with that critical overflow it ends doubling to over two damage per second while also breaking everything in that section.

Just as a frame of reference, an ac/10 has a dps of 4. Having a pile of MGs doing 2 dps each is a huge amount of damage.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 10, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Wonder how the missile heat nerf will stack against the DHS buff. Hope this isn't a ppcgauss buff.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

If any thing it's a clan ERMLAS buff and the efficiency of laser vomit output will probably end up being more useful for clan players than the poke and peek style of ppc/gauss combos. There will be lots and lots of clan laserboats running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

By the way, if PGI doesn't understand the difference between "asynchronous" and "asymmetrical" that might explain why their game design is such a mess. :laugh:

• Locked thread