Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcFRgJwE2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

chumbler posted:

Thinking some more on Shantae and one of the main issues (among several other minor ones) I have with the series as a whole, and this is a personal thing and not a universal statement on good or bad design, the transformations have never felt incorporated in a way that they feel like an additional power of the character. Instead they come off as more like a dungeon item in the weaker Zelda and Zelda style games. They're a thing you have to solve a specific puzzle and are basically never used outside of that, and having the seam of the dance for the transformation amplifies that. One of the strengths of Pirate's Curse is that it ditched that and actually gave Shantae herself more capabilities (which were for the most part still pretty much only used to solve specific puzzles, but still).

It's the kind of thing that there isn't really an easy fix for so I'm willing to accept it, but it leaves the feeling of always playing half a character.

The line between an upgrade feeling like it meaningfully increases your abilities as a player or just removes a very artificial obstacle is a very difficult one imo. There's a video about Nintendo's approach to game design that is sort of applicable here, in that a good player 'verb' is one that a player can solve multiple problems with (ie in Mario, jumping kills enemies, navigates platforms, breaks bricks and lets you stomp on buttons, etc). I think a good upgrade is one that solves multiple problems and is integrated into the regular minute-to-minute gameplay loops. Metroid giving you different beams/missiles that work differently in minute--to-minute gameplay as weapons but also serve to unlock different doors is a bunch better approach than, say, giving samus a fish food gun that is only used to persuade giant space fish blocking corridors to move, and nothing else. You can see this really clearly in pokemon too where there's a lot of HMs that serve to gate the game but within that pool of HMs there's ones you're okay with (fly and surf and maybe rock smash early on because it's a fighting move a lot of pokemon can learn) because they are useful/powerful moves in pokemon's minute-to-minute gameplay and they are keys to really big gates/provide meaningful new skills like "navigate all bodies of water" or "travelling between locations instantly" and then a ton of lovely HMs (dive, cut, defog, strength, etc) that serve to open really obvious gates but are also really useless moves.

Ultimately I think gating by some other method like sticking an NPC in front of a door, or giving players an actual key, or just designing the level a bit differently is better than feeling the need to give a player an ability in every dungeon or whatever and giving them a really artificial gate-unlocking skill as a result of that.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'm still disappointed with Twilight Princess giving us the Spinner, a tool that by all means should have been cool and fun, and then relegating it entirely to specific wall tracks and keyhole mechanisms. If you try to ride the Spinner anywhere else, you're not getting far.

Also the new Pokemon solved the lovely HM problem by removing HMs entirely.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

wizard on a water slide posted:

On PSX save space was tightly constrained by memory card blocks; a memory card had 15 blocks and iirc Final Fantasy games usually took 1-2 blocks per file, so sometimes you literally only had the space left on your card for one save unless you wanted to delete your saves from other games. Some games were loving huge, and would take like half a memory card by themselves.

My first exposure to Hexen was the PS1 version, and I always had to start from the beginning when playing it because a single save file took up the whole memory card. I took to cheating to see some of the later parts of the game as a result, which carried into when I found the .wad of the PC version since gently caress that game's level design.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm still disappointed with Twilight Princess giving us the Spinner, a tool that by all means should have been cool and fun, and then relegating it entirely to specific wall tracks and keyhole mechanisms. If you try to ride the Spinner anywhere else, you're not getting far.

Also the new Pokemon solved the lovely HM problem by removing HMs entirely.

The funny thing is it didn't remove them at all, it just separated them from your team's move list and made them feel better to use

Like, using a mudsdale to cross rocky terrain is about as contrived as cutting small bushes or climbing special walls when it crops up, but it doesn't matter because you get to ride a mudsdale

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

chumbler posted:

Thinking some more on Shantae and one of the main issues (among several other minor ones) I have with the series as a whole, and this is a personal thing and not a universal statement on good or bad design, the transformations have never felt incorporated in a way that they feel like an additional power of the character. Instead they come off as more like a dungeon item in the weaker Zelda and Zelda style games. They're a thing you have to solve a specific puzzle and are basically never used outside of that, and having the seam of the dance for the transformation amplifies that. One of the strengths of Pirate's Curse is that it ditched that and actually gave Shantae herself more capabilities (which were for the most part still pretty much only used to solve specific puzzles, but still).

It's the kind of thing that there isn't really an easy fix for so I'm willing to accept it, but it leaves the feeling of always playing half a character.

Agreed, Pirate's curse def did platforming 101 better in that regard. In the newest transformations don't feel bad/slow to use at least (despite there being like twelve) and I spend a far amount of time in monkey form platforming cuz it has a higher jump. Heh.

Shantae as a series has always been a little weird with upgrades, though. Most of the stuff you can buy in the shop is incredibly optional, you can easily go through the game without casting magic.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Looper posted:

The funny thing is it didn't remove them at all, it just separated them from your team's move list and made them feel better to use

Like, using a mudsdale to cross rocky terrain is about as contrived as cutting small bushes or climbing special walls when it crops up, but it doesn't matter because you get to ride a mudsdale

The bit with mudsdale is really silly because you don't even see any rocks until after you're given it on your pager, because the first rocks you find are behind a barricade that is removed by doing a trial. It's a gate behind a gate.

The other ride pokemon are all pretty good imo, but I'm not done with the game yet so maybe you get some worse ones. Tauros and sharpedo both remove arbitrary barriers (rocks) but the charge lets you move faster than riding anything else, so it's a dual purpose thing.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 10, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The best upgrades in Shantae are the damage ones that are so incremental that it still takes the same amount of hits to kill basic enemies when you have them all as when you didn't have any.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This is why Rush Jet was always cool, because flying was always useful, but Rush Marine and all of its ilk were bogus, because who wants something that only works in the only two water levels? I guess neither of them are explicitly used for gatekeeping, but Marine is virtual requirement for Gemini Man and Jet is (I think) required for some of the Doc Robot stages.

I also love the giant pencil blocking your path in Earthbound that you have to get rid of via the Pencil Eraser for just embracing the sheer absurdity of Magic Key kind of blockades.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sad I missed the discourse about Metroidvanias but just wanna say everyone who hasn't played La Mulana yet absolutely should.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Andrast posted:

Do people really not rotate their saves when possible?

Ps1 Memcards were small and expensive

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zaggitz posted:

Sad I missed the discourse about Metroidvanias but just wanna say everyone who hasn't played La Mulana yet absolutely should.

They should play Toki Tori 2 and Wuppo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

This is why Rush Jet was always cool, because flying was always useful, but Rush Marine and all of its ilk were bogus, because who wants something that only works in the only two water levels? I guess neither of them are explicitly used for gatekeeping, but Marine is virtual requirement for Gemini Man and Jet is (I think) required for some of the Doc Robot stages.

I also love the giant pencil blocking your path in Earthbound that you have to get rid of via the Pencil Eraser for just embracing the sheer absurdity of Magic Key kind of blockades.

Rush Jet is invaluable because he lets you cheat past every invisible block sequence in the series

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

corn in the bible posted:

They should play Toki Tori 2 and Wuppo

Woah Wuppo seems dope, def gettin that once my pc is fixed.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Zaggitz posted:

La mulana is fantastic but could use a slight rework of some of the more obscure puzzles so it's actually feasible to solve 100% solo, at least for the main path. ESA using it for the postgame was a neat middle ground.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Klaus Kinski posted:

La mulana is fantastic but could use a slight rework of some of the more obscure puzzles so it's actually feasible to solve 100% solo, at least for the main path. ESA using it for the postgame was a neat middle ground.

LM devs have said they are aiming to have 2 be much less obtuse but still very challenging. If they nail it LM2 will easily be one of my favorite games ever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

Ps1 Memcards were small and expensive

The Gamecube's memory cards being so small that at launch sports titles required an entire card to save their career mode was the worst. Even Nintendo themselves had to just give away a memory card with Animal Crossing since one save took an entire card.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

The Gamecube's memory cards being so small that at launch sports titles required an entire card to save their career mode was the worst. Even Nintendo themselves had to just give away a memory card with Animal Crossing since one save took an entire card.

Gamecube memory cards were the first time offbrand was better than the real deal in my life. Iirc we had one that was twice the size of nintendos largest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My first of such experiences was a madcatz PS2 controller that had fans built into the grips so that your hands wouldn't get sweaty during extreme gaming™. I'm not a very sweaty guy so it didn't do much for me in that aspect but it did keep me cool!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Soul Grinder is clearly just Ghost Rider. :geno:

Also, wtf.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Perhaps Soul Grinder was an anime girl and then its face melted off, leaving only the skull

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the guy at Shadowverse company who made Soul Grinder, fighting hard to save us all from anime.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mega Man 8 Wily STage 1 is the worst levvel in mega man history.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

dude it's

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The level is unfun and its coupled with my least favorite MM boss to date. A double decker poo poo sandwich.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In Training posted:

Went to Google to find differing opinions but even before I could put anything in the search bar the words "It's true" just appeared.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wizard on a water slide posted:

There's a mentality not to that I think comes from certain things more than others - console gamers, ppl with siblings growing up, etc - because you think of save slots as places to save additional playthroughs or for others to save their game, not things to alternate between, and a lot of console RPGs would only have like 1-3 slots and in some cases not allow you to rotate.

On PSX save space was tightly constrained by memory card blocks; a memory card had 15 blocks and iirc Final Fantasy games usually took 1-2 blocks per file, so sometimes you literally only had the space left on your card for one save unless you wanted to delete your saves from other games. Some games were loving huge, and would take like half a memory card by themselves.

Didn't Madden games basically take up an ENTIRE memory card by themselves?

I used to rotate saves, then I got married.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sony should honestly give you a mode where you have far more control over Trico.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

:unsmigghh:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Also that statement, while true, only holds if we are speaking strictly Mega Man.

Because Mega Man X7 still exists and oof.

OOF

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is Let It Die any good?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Mr E posted:

Is Let It Die any good?

It's kind of good.worth trying since it's free. You'll like it more if you like rouge likes and Souls games, in that order.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished Dishonored 1, that was a really solid game. I kind of expected that it would just be like a FPS with some stealth sections and instead got something that feels exceptionally like a modern take on the Deus Ex/Thief games of the late 90s and early 2000s. That said I don't think I'm going to bother with the DLC, at least not yet. I'm not really invested in the story enough to know about Daud's deal and gameplay-wise I think I've gotten all I really need out of the main campaign.

Now to put Shantae through its paces :toot:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Went to a chinese buffet today. Had fun. Food was typical chinese buffet stuff but when we went up to pay, it turned out they were giving their customers wallscrolls so now we have a wallscroll hanging up of the great wall of china and a temple and some paper lanterns with a 2017 calendar underneath and the restaurant name and address underneath that.

Pretty neat! :) I am easily amused tho

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Even Nintendo is doing always-online DRM now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr E posted:

Is Let It Die any good?

Surprisingly so, yeah. It's kinda mindless but terrific fun.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

LionArcher posted:

God I can't believe I didn't download AM2R while I could. Ugh

Just do a google search for it, it's not that hard to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aw, birdcat, no.

• Locked thread