Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

a.lo posted:

Afterwards, Reggie hands off the Swtich to Jimmy and does some minor "adjustments" to the portable device before giving it to him.

Control of the game had to be changed from the pro controller to the joycons, so Reggie was probably tapping a UI thing to do that.

When you pop the system in or out of the dock, that may or may not mean you're switching controllers, so the system is probably going to pause and prompt you to select one whenever you do it. It could be as quick as pressing A on the controller you want to use, which is the button Reggie seems to be pressing.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Quest For Glory II posted:

what would the point of faking it be when the final devkits just went out, lol
The real Switch is on the soundstage where they filmed the moon landing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

lol

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
That wasn't the real Switch, it was just a prop. First Trump and now the Switch, Fallon is in league with the illuminati.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

I've seen this one play out before.

1. Blame software piracy for the need to include invasive DRM into your game.
2. After software pirates release a version of your game without any DRM blame software piracy for low sales numbers.

I've seen that one play out for over a decade like I'm Bill Murray from Groundhog Day.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Nolgthorn posted:

2. After software pirates release a version of your game without any DRM blame software piracy for low sales numbers.

I've seen that one play out for over a decade like I'm Bill Murray from Groundhog Day.

Well, what can they do? It's a damned-if-they-do-damned-if-they-don't kind of situation. The only way they can hope to combat that is go with the well proven freemium model that everyone pretty much loathes but evolved because of pirates.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

It sort of seems like there have been tons of financially successful offline games that don't require an always on internet connection. This is a mobile game, so there is a very strong incentive for people to figure out how to get the pirated version which will work without an internet connection.

I mean yeah I'd have to figure out how to root my phone but then I could play "Run" on my next train trip.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Every mobile game I've played has some form of online component that freaks out if you're not

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You think I'm gonna let a noob in my house to begin with? We treat Nintendo with respect here.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nolgthorn posted:

Maybe people should stop pirating software?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Wow, this is revolutionary, if only someone had thought of this before now

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

They'd use a reduction of software piracy as justification for DRM

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Even on free mobile games, a lot of them require you to be online so you don't just turn off ads by hitting airplane mode.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Mario just wants to run free, man.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Mario just wants to run free, man.

Actually Mario just wants to run $10

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Nolgthorn posted:

Took the words right out of my mouth... keyboard... whatever. Wherever you took them from, spot-on and thank you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Maybe you should stop being such a sanctimonious twat? Given that pretty much everyone in the world who isn't a millionaire+ has watched their spending power and financial security drop steadily for decades while huge corporations like Nintendo make appalling amounts of money, I can't feel sorry for them... just like I couldn't feel sorry for Ubisoft when they put that same kind of DRM in Assassin's Creed. It only pissed people off and Skid Row still hacked it within a few weeks. Nintendo is going to make piles of cash on this, asinine DRM or no, because it's Mario and it's on a platform that appeals to casual gamers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Fuckin' casuals

With their jobs

And ability to pay for things

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
~games are cheaper than they've ever been and if you don't pay for the things you like the people who make them can no longer afford to make the things you like~

That said DRM is often bad and dumb

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
When people complain about buying power I always assumed they were talking about cars and property and medical care. But the idea that people out there can't afford Mario Run.. I just... we need to do something.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oooohhhhh those corporations and their money

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Nice, piracy chat, good poo poo so far.

Very quick reminder that the Wii and DS were insanely easy to pirate, with some of the more popular games reaching the hundreds of thousands in raw downloads.

Whether or not that took away from a potential sale or not isn't the point but if I were Nintendo I'd be insanely conservative with protecting all my games from potential piracy too. They did well with the 3DS and firmware updates.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are well established working DRM schemes. Steam being the best that I've experienced. You have your account with licenses for games attached to it. If the game is multiplatform, you get access to it on other platforms. Nintendo is so obsessed with always making money on every aspect of a video game experience that it sucks for consumers. I would much prefer no carts or discs. Let me sign into my Nintendo account and digitally buy games that stay attached to my account. Let me play those games if they ever get released as backwards compatible or some sort of Virtual Console on a later system.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Louisgod posted:

Nice, piracy chat, good poo poo so far.

Very quick reminder that the Wii and DS were insanely easy to pirate, with some of the more popular games reaching the hundreds of thousands in raw downloads.

Whether or not that took away from a potential sale or not isn't the point but if I were Nintendo I'd be insanely conservative with protecting all my games from potential piracy too. They did well with the 3DS and firmware updates.

Maybe you should stop being such a sanctimonious twat?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I haven't pirated a game in so long I kind of forgot it was even a thing. Games are cheaper than ever, get a job.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

elf help book posted:

Maybe you should stop being such a sanctimonious twat?

If I ever hear anybody in real life actually say sanctimonious I will turn around and walk away because that person is likely terrible to be around

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

Nintendo is so obsessed with always making money on every aspect of a video game experience that it sucks for consumers.

What do you mean by that? Wii U is the only console you don't have to pay for online, right? So you buy the console, and then you buy the game, and then you can play the game on the console forever with no extra fess.

That seems completely reasonable to me.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TheScott2K posted:

I haven't pirated a game in so long I kind of forgot it was even a thing. Games are cheaper than ever, get a job.
Yeah I used to pirate ages ago but now it's easier to just wait for sales. Unfortunately that also counts as a failure to publishers so I don't know what the answer is.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Guy Goodbody posted:

What do you mean by that? Wii U is the only console you don't have to pay for online, right? So you buy the console, and then you buy the game, and then you can play the game on the console forever with no extra fess.

Not to mention Super Mario Run is a one-time payment, not a F2P game with microtransactions. If they desperately wanted money they would have gone the latter route.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

FPzero posted:

Not to mention Super Mario Run is a one-time payment, not a F2P game with microtransactions. If they desperately wanted money they would have gone the latter route.

I think it has day-one DLC. though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Every mobile game I've played has some form of online component that freaks out if you're not

Same. It makes sense in preserving the integrity of the game if there's any kind of interaction with other players so everything isn't just hacked to poo poo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm in the fortune position to have a decent 9-to-5, but with Amazon Prime offering 20% off of any physical release, it's a no brainer.

I'm hoping that eShop v3.0 is way better than the Wii U/3DS variant, but I can't really complain too much about it's current incarnation.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I pirated stuff when I didn't have money buy stuff I wanted and now that I'm an adult with a job I don't. I bet most people who pirate are the same way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rexroom posted:

I think it has day-one DLC. though.

No dlc. It's just a free download with four levels as a demo, with the full game unlock a one time transaction inside the game. That lets them get around family sharing. If it were buying it in the app store then everyone on your family account would have access to it, but they did it in a way where each individual account would have to unlock.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I had a weird dream last night that the new mario game was going to have selfies like wind waker had but you had to use the waluigi amiibo to enable them and it was just waluigi taking selfies over your screenshots

I wish that was an actual feature now

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

This would cause complete stagnation in console development and the advancement of games. Competition is good in consumer electronics.

You mean like how we had vhs and so DVD's never existed?

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

JustJeff88 posted:

Maybe you should stop being such a sanctimonious twat? Given that pretty much everyone in the world who isn't a millionaire+ has watched their spending power and financial security drop steadily for decades while huge corporations like Nintendo make appalling amounts of money, I can't feel sorry for them... just like I couldn't feel sorry for Ubisoft when they put that same kind of DRM in Assassin's Creed. It only pissed people off and Skid Row still hacked it within a few weeks. Nintendo is going to make piles of cash on this, asinine DRM or no, because it's Mario and it's on a platform that appeals to casual gamers.

I'm not sure if a mobile game is the place you should be taking your stance. First world problems so easy you complain about DRM on video games because you don't always have an internet connection.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

FirstAidKite posted:

I had a weird dream last night that the new mario game was going to have selfies like wind waker had but you had to use the waluigi amiibo to enable them and it was just waluigi taking selfies over your screenshots

I wish that was an actual feature now

That'd be awesome.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

You shouldn't have stolen the design docs for the port of Dead Rising 4

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Louisgod posted:

They did well with the 3DS and firmware updates.

Except they didn't, and pirating on the 3DS is so simple and you can download straight from Nintendo's content delivery servers for free now. Nintendo's retarded.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't online free on PS4 too? Or is PS+ necessary now?

Nintendo tends to squash fan projects that get too popular or even books and poo poo that are love-letters to their series. They also get a cut of the money people on YouTube make who do LPs with their games. I believe they also flag videos that paint their stuff in a bad light on YouTube so Google will take them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Guy Goodbody posted:

They make consoles that are underpowered in order to produce them at a profit. You have to buy games you previously purchased digitally to play them on a new system. They lock off parts of games that you can only access by purchasing an amiibo and scanning it. When Microsoft spends money to bring a game to backwards compatibility, all I have to do is download it if I've previously purchased it or put the disc in. I don't have to pay them a dollar or whatever to unlock it to play on my Xbone. I won't get into the amiibo because I don't really get it but if they let me carry over a collection of their old games over any new consoles they make, they would win a lot of good will. Buy this new Nintendo console and it already has a bunch of your old NES/SNES/N64 games on it when you log in.

• Locked thread