Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean that's illegal to wear to school right

if a kid gets suspended for biting a fish stick into a gun shape and saying "bang" surely that bag gets you expelled

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

spankmeister posted:

posting on the smonk page

Only registered members can see post attachments!

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm wondering if it would even be legal to sell a game where you mass murder non-zombie people of a certain race.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

lol @ this scrub who doesn't know that most (all?) american cars have a secret function to permanently disable the seatbelt warning chime

in europe such a feature is just plain illegal, but in :911: it's your goddamned right to not be annoyed by a nanny state beeper chime telling you you're about to commit suicide

here's the process for my ford

what the gently caress

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qkkl posted:

I'm wondering if it would even be legal to sell a game where you mass murder non-zombie people of a certain race.

far cry 2?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

qkkl posted:

One of the Call of Duty games had you magdump into a crowd of people at an airport.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

far cry 2?

just cause 1 and 2

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bill NYSE posted:

One of the Call of Duty games had you magdump into a crowd of people at an airport.

it's funny how this was reported, because you could pass the mission without shooting at all, but plenty of people went ahead and did it anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pardot posted:

what the gently caress

american-market cars also deploy their airbags more rapidly and with greater force than european- or japanese-market models. this is because in other countries, the airbags are considered secondary restraint systems that work in concert with the seatbelts. in america, regulations say that the car must be able to protect its occupant even if they choose not to wear their seatbelt, so the airbags must inflate faster and harder to keep a potentially unbelted occupant in place during a collision event. this increases injuries caused by airbag activation, which further feeds into the concept that airbags (and seatbelts) "take more lives than they save", perpetuating the cycle

:patriot:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's funny how this was reported, because you could pass the mission without shooting at all, but plenty of people went ahead and did it anyway
or you could skip the mission anyway, it has no impact other than to go "you, the gamer, are one sick gently caress. wow."

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

anthonypants posted:

or you could skip the mission anyway, it has no impact other than to go "you, the gamer, are one sick gently caress. wow."

i think they patched that in

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Almost every shootman game is about murdering one race/nation of people.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

murder games used to draw from a pool of the few universally acceptable murder targets: aliens, robots, nazis or demons

then we got zombie games and it was like, okay, there's some hidden racism here but i guess on the surface level it's not that objectionable

then terrorists became the enemy du jour and like, uh oh, they're all brown and speak arabic, umm

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sagebrush posted:

murder games used to draw from a pool of the few universally acceptable murder targets: aliens, robots, nazis or demons

then we got zombie games and it was like, okay, there's some hidden racism here but i guess on the surface level it's not that objectionable

then terrorists became the enemy du jour and like, uh oh, they're all brown and speak arabic, umm

The new badguy in everything are South Africans now, so it's fine because gently caress those assholes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The new badguy in everything are South Africans now, so it's fine because gently caress those assholes.

south african pmc guys in particular, if mgs5 and uncharted 4 are accurate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who is it ok to hate?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

so, nazis

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bulgakov posted:

the era of people producing weird trash straight to VHS is a unique moment in history that will die along with neighboring trash in world landfills

good dog

wheel of the worst is the best

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

zombies aren't racist, they're just played out.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

i think they patched that in
if they did it was a day-one patch because it was literally there at launch

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

zombies aren't racist, they're just played out.

in any sort of self defense or firearms context, "zombies" are universally understood to be black people

let's not rehash this entire discussion again but it is the term that republicans use instead, print on targets, etc that's "P.C. enough for those drat libs, they wont ever get it anyway"

but when the zombie apocolypse comes, (civil war or w/e), they're prepared to fight off the 'zombies'

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

anthonypants posted:

if they did it was a day-one patch because it was literally there at launch

they added it in testing, I misremembered

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I shot as many people as I possibly could in the call of duty airport. it was fun

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

they added it in testing, I misremembered
i don't remember if there was a warning before the level loaded but i do remember that when you started a new game it asked you if you would be ok with sensitive subjects or something but didn't explicitly say, like, "you're gonna murder some civilians who won't fight back is that cool y/n"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

in any sort of self defense or firearms context, "zombies" are universally understood to be black people

let's not rehash this entire discussion again but it is the term that republicans use instead, print on targets, etc that's "P.C. enough for those drat libs, they wont ever get it anyway"

but when the zombie apocolypse comes, (civil war or w/e), they're prepared to fight off the 'zombies'

this is literally news to me. ive honestly never even heard this before

wow

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

echinopsis posted:

who is it ok to hate?

white american men

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm kinda sad zombies are so popular. I really like all the old zombie movies, it was great stuff to watch with your friends late at night. now everything is zombies and people are making real zombie guns and poo poo and it's just totally ruined for me

yo i just want to say that zombie pub crawls are the dumbest thing on earth

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

tsk, all of you skipping numbers; this should have been a foregone conclusion

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

this is literally news to me. ive honestly never even heard this before

wow

welcome to america

anthonypants posted:

i don't remember if there was a warning before the level loaded but i do remember that when you started a new game it asked you if you would be ok with sensitive subjects or something but didn't explicitly say, like, "you're gonna murder some civilians who won't fight back is that cool y/n"

i played like half of that game and iirc it does tell you right before the level in question that it may be offensive, and that you can skip it without penalty if you want. it doesn't tell you that if you do play it, you still don't actually have to shoot anyone.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Trashing the movement tech is certainly short-sighted, even if its benefits aren't obvious. This is a computer learning by itself how to interact with a physical world by experimentation. Imagine having this poo poo on a machine sent on mars and one of its parts gently caress up: it can learn how to cope by using whatever that's still working. The examples shown might not have had factors where parts were to be considered more sensitive, but the base is there. Their mistake wasn't them skimping on the possibilities, it was showing it to the angry old art man and expecting him to understand the ramifications of this technology.

As for using it in videogames: it might look bad to use straight up, but it can complement good-looking simulation systems to make it more flexible. Make your shootyman look good running around on the ground, and use this stuff to modify what's already there to make your shootyman also look good while dealing with stairs, slopes or whatever exotic situation.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 11, 2016

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I shot as many people as I possibly could in the call of duty airport. it was fun

i was with some friends and we were all stoned as gently caress when he hit this level. i knew what was coming so i milked it by quoting columbine & kaczynski & poo poo like that before executing people. friends were left very uncomfortable so mission accomplished

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's ok. i mean a zombie wouldn't know to not use its head to walk? hehehe imagine the same thing but with an anime school girl. ole man would have creamed his pants. fuckin sick mother fucker

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so this thread has now had page 69, page 219 and page 420

are there any other pages worth having? maybe page 666?? start fresh so we can get back to 69

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

i was with some friends and we were all stoned as gently caress when he hit this level. i knew what was coming so i milked it by quoting columbine & kaczynski & poo poo like that before executing people. friends were left very uncomfortable so mission accomplished

why do you know a bunch of unabomber & school shooter quotes

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

why do you know a bunch of unabomber & school shooter quotes

what, you don't?

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

they're taught in schools today,

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

lol @ this scrub who doesn't know that most (all?) american cars have a secret function to permanently disable the seatbelt warning chime

in europe such a feature is just plain illegal, but in :911: it's your goddamned right to not be annoyed by a nanny state beeper chime telling you you're about to commit suicide

i really love how obscure all these steps are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

The only cars i've driven that keep beeping at you were american.

• Locked thread