Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've seen a Chevrolet 4.3 V6 (literally 3/4 of a 350 V8 for those unfamiliar) run with open exhaust ports.

For awhile.

It burnt a bunch of valves. (Unsurprisingly.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I refuse to believe that many running vehicles exist anywhere near Valentine.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

What about the vanifolds? If they're not the ones that interfere with the spark plugs while upside down one of the two might work there?

called it :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

The o2 sensor really works better when it reads only exhaust.

glad this means no steering fuckery at all is needed. SSS saves the day... and Raluek, I think, not sure if he was talking about the aftermarket headers or the factory parts.

Yeah I basically meant "try all the parts in all the orientations, including upside down and backwards, and one of them might clear."
And when I mentioned the truck Y-block exhaust configuration, I was talking about this:

Looks like Shrugs had the right idea, too.

Yay, I'm glad that things are progressing! Does the steering box clear in its factory position with the van manifold upside down and backwards? If so, that ownsssss

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

Yeah I basically meant "try all the parts in all the orientations, including upside down and backwards, and one of them might clear."
And when I mentioned the truck Y-block exhaust configuration, I was talking about this:

poo poo that would have worked great too. Good call on that, maybe they'll still have to use it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

poo poo that would have worked great too. Good call on that, maybe they'll still have to use it.

Well I mean those particular manifolds won't fit a SBC, but that orientation of shooting it out the top front and around the other side. It actually goes in the front of the pass side manifold, so they only need one exhaust system for the 6-cyl and V8 motors, but you could just run it parallel to the other pipe on that side and into a Y-pipe or whatever. I dunno how much of an exhaust system is even in play here.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
To anyonw posting exhaust solutions: shut up xoxoxoxo tia

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Ok but there is just one important thing you need to hear before I stop

kastein posted:

e: cast iron log manifolds I assume collide with something, but if one upside down on the driver side fits, maybe rock it... and feed it straight into a turbo

Otherwise, what does it still need? Cooling, brakes, lights, tires, DRIVE?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

Ok but there is just one important thing you need to hear before I stop

Otherwise, what does it still need? Cooling, brakes, lights, tires, DRIVE?

Exactly that yes

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Connect coolant hoses, brakes, tires, and figure how to route/fab the throttle cable.

So it's pretty much done!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iwentdoodie posted:

Open header means running just headers, not literally nothing.

also there's actual flame that comes out of the heads that the headers do the very important job of making sure doesn't set anything on fire

we've probably had enough fire for one thread as it stands, maybe if we get to 100 pages we can have another

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

also there's actual flame that comes out of the heads that the headers do the very important job of making sure doesn't set anything on fire

we've probably had enough fire for one thread as it stands, maybe if we get to 100 pages we can have another

You're on

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
What about the horn?

Surely there's a junked semi around with a pair that can be tucked under those bigass front fenders.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:justpost:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Fermented Tinal posted:

What about the horn?

Surely there's a junked semi around with a pair that can be tucked under those bigass front fenders.

Surprisingly the truck's horn works just fine.
I'm surprised a video hasn't been made around that fact.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

How much do you need brakes really?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

If its geared anything like my 56 IH with 6.16s in the back, not at all. Just let off the gas and it stops faster than the brakes ever could.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Braking is for cowards, rip a J-turn and burnout to slow down.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

shy boy from chess club posted:

If its geared anything like my 56 IH with 6.16s in the back, not at all. Just let off the gas and it stops faster than the brakes ever could.

I doubt the stock drum brakes do much anyway.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Deteriorata posted:

I doubt the stock drum brakes do much anyway.

Theyre fuckin huge, like 14 inches or something so they work pretty good, plus it maxes out at like 40mph anyway so dont need them all that much.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Everyone is loving weird. All this talk about going to Florida and then people are talking about braking a bunch. You don't get places by braking!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

19 o'clock posted:

Everyone is loving weird. All this talk about going to Florida and then people are talking about braking a bunch. You don't get places by braking!

If your brakes are good enough, you can just sit still while the Earth rotates beneath you. :colbert:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

shy boy from chess club posted:

Theyre fuckin huge, like 14 inches or something so they work pretty good, plus it maxes out at like 40mph anyway so dont need them all that much.

All jokes aside they're 17 inch drums

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
And the truck should do 55 just fine.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
But I

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Can't drive

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
FIFFFTTYY FIIIIIYIIIIVE

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, the math did say 95 was within the realm of possibility.

Alternative to braking: Get it up to that speed, drop into neutral, kill the engine, and coast on the momentum of 3+ tons all the way to Florida.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
lol. Physics are a bitch.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just ignore them problem solved

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!
Look the brakes can be assumed to work until proven otherwise ok

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Just ignore them problem solved

"For this problem, ignore friction" was a common statement in lower level physics courses. Surely that works in real life too?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

"For this problem, ignore friction" was a common statement in lower level physics courses. Surely that works in real life too?

Peugeot seemed to assume so when designing the brake bias valve under my last hatchback.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just fix the leaks the brakes will work good enough I doubt the bearings roll perfectly it will stop on its own plus the dented exhaust is a jake brake.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Snowing again. Keep pushing. The end times are nigh :black101:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Stay alive

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Is that... a truck-shaped void in the snow? :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No it's a dick shape in the snow duh

• Locked thread