Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

but like seriously I dont care about games like Akibas Trip, I might even play it at some point, it doesn't pretend to be something it's not (okay I probably wont buy or play it just being real here)

akiba's trip is pretty funny, but that's mostly on XSEED and the gameplay is lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

funfact: XSEED got the developers to add stripping illustrations for the male bosses

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

With Shantae, it doesn't bug me because it's thematic as she has a definite belly dancer vibe, and that's a real thing that I've seen a ton of times since it's my part of the culture I came from. With boob ninjas, it's always felt weird since ninjas and assassins aren't famous for their sex appeal except Matahari, who was a belly dancer.

I still play the boob ninja games though.

I don't think it would be as glaring if it were in fact just Shantae who they jiggled up but it's pretty much every female character in the game. Hell, the main villain wears even less than Shantae and they even make the Zombie girl all bouncy. Then there's the part in Pirate's Curse where they put every character into a tiny Egyptian bikini. I mean it's not the end of the world but after awhile it just gets distracting and gives the game a quality that doesn't really mesh with every other part of it.

It is also by no means the worst offender. I mean I've been playing Blazblue lately and it's funny how in that series every new entry has a character that outdoes the breast size of the last game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Macaluso posted:

How does the platforming feel in the new Shantae? I don't mean level design wise, just like the general feel of her controls and her jumping and attacking and stuff. I made a post earlier about how much I love Ori's platforming in that way and wanted to know how Shantae is? Well and also I guess also how the level design is. I'm not expecting Tropical Freeze levels here but still. Wayforward's remake of Ducktales was really really good

edit: I think what I liked about Ori so much was that it felt fast. I love Shovel Knight to death but I will admit it feels a little slow, Ducktales too. Where does Shantae fall in that
I'd call 1/2 Genie Hero's controls "responsive to almost a fault", it's all very sharp and snappy moving around but I definitely have to be careful to not be too twitchy. I've had a couple of spots of trouble trying to time some very specific jumps because even the slightest bit of movement was causing me to drop when I didn't want to. In general though it feels very good! I do wish Shantae jumped a bit higher, there's been a few sections where I've had to transform into the monkey for literally one random platform and that's kind of a drag for the 1-2 seconds it takes to do the transformation when you're only in that form for the jump alone. In terms of speed it's probably somewhere in the middle between Ori and Shovel Knight, though I'm not sure I'd be able to notice much of a difference.

I've been revisiting levels a lot to see if any new powers are unlocking new sections and surprisingly that has been rather slow going, it seems like I'll take a step forward and two steps back. Like you get the crab transformation to go underwater, but then every underwater section in the first world also requires one or two other upgrades.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also it's weird as hell to me that we're getting an Akiba's Strip sequel that is apparently a pretty straight forward wannabe Persona with no stripping people's clothes involved what so ever.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I'd call 1/2 Genie Hero's controls "responsive to almost a fault", it's all very sharp and snappy moving around but I definitely have to be careful to not be too twitchy. I've had a couple of spots of trouble trying to time some very specific jumps because even the slightest bit of movement was causing me to drop when I didn't want to. In general though it feels very good! I do wish Shantae jumped a bit higher, there's been a few sections where I've had to transform into the monkey for literally one random platform and that's kind of a drag for the 1-2 seconds it takes to do the transformation when you're only in that form for the jump alone. In terms of speed it's probably somewhere in the middle between Ori and Shovel Knight, though I'm not sure I'd be able to notice much of a difference.

I've been revisiting levels a lot to see if any new powers are unlocking new sections and surprisingly that has been rather slow going, it seems like I'll take a step forward and two steps back. Like you get the crab transformation to go underwater, but then every underwater section in the first world also requires one or two other upgrades.

This is pretty accurate to my experience with the game. Very snappy is a good way to describe it, and led to my only real complaint with the game control-wise, which was that jumping between moving rings was trickier than it maybe should have been because a slight twitch would mean missing. Until getting basically the space jump I'd often just run around in monkey form for the better jumping, and I think it was slightly faster as well.

The exploration I didn't really have a problem with once I got a better feel for the one or two big maps per world. I think I still couldn't find one of the heart containers at the end, though.

Edit: I still wish Shantae had a Mega Man X dash, but I wish that of literally every platformer.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 11, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The stripping was kinda weird in Akiba's Trip even if it was part of the original design (and name) if only because I think the main appeal of fighting supernatural stuff in an even nuttier Akihabara is a cool idea in itself and didn't seem like it needed that stuff.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 11, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nate RFB posted:

chumbler posted:

This is pretty accurate to my experience with the game. Very snappy is a good way to describe it, and led to my only real complaint with the game control-wise, which was that jumping between moving rings was trickier than it maybe should have been because a slight twitch would mean missing. Until getting basically the space jump I'd often just run around in monkey form for the better jumping, and I think it was slightly faster as well.

The exploration I didn't really have a problem with once I got a better feel for the one or two big maps per world. I think I still couldn't find one of the heart containers at the end, though.

Edit: I still wish Shantae had a Mega Man X dash, but I wish that of literally every platformer.

Thanks gang! Looking forward to it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Put a shirt on, Quiet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

glam rock hamhock posted:

Also it's weird as hell to me that we're getting an Akiba's Strip sequel that is apparently a pretty straight forward wannabe Persona with no stripping people's clothes involved what so ever.

It's closer to a Tales rip off than Persona tbh

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

The stripping was kinda weird in Akiba's Trip even if it was part of the original design (and name) if only because I think the main appeal of fighting supernatural stuff in an even nuttier Akihabara is a cool idea in itself and didn't seem like it needed that stuff.

The stripping was honestly oddly fun. When you got a combo going and stripped everyone with Ninja like speed was the main part where it managed to be far better than it should have been (the other part was the translation had FAR more effort put into it than it really deserved)

Sakurazuka posted:

It's closer to a Tales rip off than Persona tbh

Ah, did not know that. Just saw a brief description and that's what I was going on. Still an unexpected turn though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Something got hosed up in Phantom Pain and I died in the helicopter exiting the mission and they want me to do the entire mission over now. :(

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I beat Shantae but now I have no idea where the last loving keys are in these two levels

ugh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it sounds like Gamepump's first title is going to be Lit by Wayforward which was a game they made for Wiiware, although we'll see how the port is.

something that's a little disappointing is that Nintendo apparently told Gamepump they weren't allowed to use NES emulation on Steam (which is yet again Nintendo bullying people for no reason and without any legal standing), so they're going to use MSX emulation instead. although they hinted they might license Konami games? so we might get Metal Gear MSX on Steam. how about maze of galius?? get on it dudes.

this is an opportunity for me to link Contra MSX which is a bizarre as gently caress port that has no scrolling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Maej5IvbqA

the MSX ports of games are pretty much worse than NES versions but it's still interesting gaming history to officially preserve and curate, imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbU1ODXTOKw

here's MSX castlevania which adds more exploration to the game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

something that's a little disappointing is that Nintendo apparently told Gamepump they weren't allowed to use NES emulation on Steam (which is yet again Nintendo bullying people for no reason and without any legal standing)

A thing that popped up in a GDC talk by the guy working on the Megaman Legacy Collection was that a lot of devs are scared shitless of just releasing games released solely on old Nintendo systems, so much so that the Megaman games on that collection aren't being emulated traditionally, and instead they're compiling a version of the game through the emulator (or something like that) and making a variant that amounts to the same thing just so it's not the case that they're selling emulated NES games. It's weird.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's OK just delete the games after 24 hours. They can't do anything then

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

Put a shirt on, Quiet.

quiet's xof uniform rules

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

Something got hosed up in Phantom Pain and I died in the helicopter exiting the mission and they want me to do the entire mission over now. :(

kept you waiting, huh ??

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

In Training posted:

It's the guy weeping in front of his petrified wife and when you tell him the spell to unpertrify her it turns him to stone and they both explode

IIRC in the ending they come back. But yeah that's hilariously hosed up when it happens and Shantae is just all "Uh......"

this is an opportunity for me to link Contra MSX which is a bizarre as gently caress port that has no scrolling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Maej5IvbqA

Hot drat that music owns. I mean, no surprise, Contra's music owns and Metal Gear 2's music owns, but I've never looked up the MSX Contra before.

Phantasium posted:

A thing that popped up in a GDC talk by the guy working on the Megaman Legacy Collection was that a lot of devs are scared shitless of just releasing games released solely on old Nintendo systems, so much so that the Megaman games on that collection aren't being emulated traditionally, and instead they're compiling a version of the game through the emulator (or something like that) and making a variant that amounts to the same thing just so it's not the case that they're selling emulated NES games. It's weird.

Here's a writeup, and here's the presentation itself. Frank/The Red Eye posts here from time to time. That talk was great. The MMLC had a couple of issues on different platforms that they missed and unfortunately their bid for the project did not include any allowance for post-release bug fixing, but they'll never make that mistake again and philosophically it was sound. I'm really looking forward to what the revived Digital Eclipse does next, there are all kinds of essentially lost games they could bring back and give that kind of treatment to.

Speaking of emulation, WayForward, and Contra, kinda hosed up how the most recent release of the NES Contra was as a bonus on Contra 4. Wish we knew what the hang-up with that game is; Super C showing up on the Virtual Console and the NES Classic but no sign of the first game is bizarre.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 11, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I meant to sit down and try Pirate's Curse today but then Path of Exile snuck up on me. Stupid addictive Skinner boxes :arghfist::(

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

Just do a google search for it, it's not that hard to find.

Edit. I'm an idiot. Game is amazing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I meant to sit down and try Pirate's Curse today but then Path of Exile snuck up on me. Stupid addictive Skinner boxes :arghfist::(

free yourself of the infinite sphere grid

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dishonored 2's new character is so op for straight combat. You can pull dudes one by one and stab them out of the air and theres nothing they can do about it no matter how many. Glad i already beat the game honestly with corvo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Dishonored 2's new character is so op for straight combat. You can pull dudes one by one and stab them out of the air and theres nothing they can do about it no matter how many. Glad i already beat the game honestly with corvo.

If you actually go straight lethal both characters are basically unstoppable killing machines.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Has anyone played Body Harvest in, like, the last decade? Does it hold up at all?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPHuIyFebAM

CJacobs posted:

Perhaps Soul Grinder was an anime girl and then its face melted off, leaving only the skull
Skull structure doesn't match

FirstAidKite posted:

Do they seriously make the boobs 3d
It's just boobs and giant foreheads poppin out at ya

FirstAidKite posted:

For some reason it doesn't bother me with shantae but skullgirls strikes me as skeezy

I think it is at least in part because the skullgirls devs at first were all about how the game was going to oversexualize everybody and include men who were going to have jiggle physics too but then I guess that was just an excuse or something idk, for all I know that could just be a false quote. Dunno why skullgirls is where I start getting iffy about that poo poo
It's because Skullgirls is an all (well mostly) female fighting game, and the tradition of those, from Vanguard Princess to Arcana Heart, is, well, skeezy.

Like NITROPLUS BLASTERZ HEROINEZ INFINITE DUEL is somehow one of the less skeezy all female fighting games, and that's saying something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_UgATKBKuw

Shantae doesn't really make it's cheesecake fanservice really noticable until you play the 3D version. Then it's RIGHT IN YO FACE.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Skullgirls is still cool though. Cerebella is rad, and peacock is a fantastic idea for a character.

Also, big band, who is a cyborg made up of musical instruments.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Big Band is the best part of the game imo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

Like NITROPLUS BLASTERZ HEROINEZ INFINITE DUEL is somehow one of the less skeezy all female fighting games, and that's saying something..

This actually is not true, but only because story mode gets a little more graphic than I usually see these things get (though it's all done in text)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/webbedspace/status/807818489297670144

C4

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So is The Last Guardian good or not?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Palpek posted:

So is The Last Guardian good or not?

Trico is a stupid motherfucker that doesn't obey your commands, much like a real cat. It's debatable whether or not this is a good idea for a video game where getting Trico to do what you want is required to progress. And like this isn't bad design, Sony did nothing wrong with the AI for Trico, they intentionally wanted to mimmick animal behavior with humans and they did that perfectly, it's just kinda confusing as to whether or not this was a good idea or something that should have been done.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

One of the supers in Nitroplus is Sonico posing in like 5 different bikinis, its pretty cheesy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

One of the supers in Nitroplus is Sonico posing in like 5 different bikinis, its pretty cheesy.
I forgot what she looked like, googled her, and this is the 11th image that comes up. It is official art. Her very existence is fanservice, so her attacks being fanservicey comes as no surprise

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

C2

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow. I never knew there was a Darkwing Duck NES game, but of course there would be. Apparently it's a good Megaman-alike, and the music is fuckin' rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7YQyDS3yg&hd=1

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, it's no Duck Tales, but it's pretty solid.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shantae is cool plz dont slutshame my cool bae

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
boobs are Very Cool and I like them a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow. I never knew there was a Darkwing Duck NES game, but of course there would be. Apparently it's a good Megaman-alike, and the music is fuckin' rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7YQyDS3yg&hd=1

There are a lot of awesome Disney games from Capcom from that era apparently, because Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers is an awesome co op SMB2.

• Locked thread