Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's too bad they hosed things up by having view screens, because the radio only space submarine vibe would have been cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
They didn't want to make that kind of sacrifice because it would severely impair their ability to tell TNG-like stories, which I guess is a big reason why both Enterprise and Voyager suck weren't that great. They set up some interesting premises but don't commit to them because DS9 "proved" that straying too far from the TNG formula was bad for ratings.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
And yet, DS9 had nearly twice as many seasons as Enterprise. Truly, the wisdom of executives is boundless.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, showing a huge DS9 style all out total war at the birth of the federation vs the romcoms but never actually encountering any of them in the flesh would be interesting to see. It could also easily be hand-waved away by them just sending in remans as disposable shock troops in situations where troops are needed. Although I guess the mystery of who the romulans are would be totally ruined for the audience since everyone knows who they are and what they look like.
Actually this sets up a great drama conclusion when you finally see a romulan and oh gently caress it's just a Vulcan with more brow definition, OH gently caress EXPLAIN THAT poo poo, T'POL

Then they have to cover it up so the new Vulcan government or whatever doesn't fall. How topical!

Alternately, Rom shock troops are all Breen'd up death commandos.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Although I guess the mystery of who the romulans are would be totally ruined for the audience since everyone knows who they are and what they look like.

Just make the klingons look even more different in Enterprise with no explanation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

VanSandman posted:

The Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order should've just blown up the wormhole instead of some half-assed attempt to kill the Dominion. Hell, after they hosed up the Federation should've blown up the wormhole.
Eh, the attempt would have caused them a lot more problems considering there's no way they could have even attempted it without the Federation finding out. Which would probably cause a war by itself.

Sisko would never have let the Federation try and nuke it, he would have gone rogue to stop them due to the Prophets I'm sure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WickedHate posted:

It's too bad they hosed things up by having view screens, because the radio only space submarine vibe would have been cool.

There's a level of stupidity the audience won't accept, and having them not have the advanced super-technology for video screens in the 22nd century is one of them.

Having the Romulans refuse to use video would've worked, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also the way that cloaking devices make ships invisible to the naked eye, as if that's something anyone in space would care about.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

There's a level of stupidity the audience won't accept, and having them not have the advanced super-technology for video screens in the 22nd century is one of them.

Have the romulans use a cool-as-gently caress obvious CGI avatar.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Pakled posted:

Yeah watching TOS as someone who grew up on TNG was a trip. The religion, the portrayals of women that I'm sure were progressive in their day but are horribly sexist by modern standards, and weird canon stuff like Klingons not being obsessed with honor or McCoy offhandedly mentioning that Vulcan was conquered by Earth.

So in order: TOS was horribly sexist, even for the era, TOS Klingons own, and the conquest line is pretty ambiguous, but definitely weird.

twistedmentat posted:

And TOS early on was so inconstant i'd not use anything from it as canon unless its verified again. At one point Kirk mentions he serves the United Space Prob Agency.

It's mentioned several times, actually. Usually they just refer to it as "UESPA" though. Also, neither Star Fleet nor the Federation are ever really spelled out in TOS. The Fed seems more like a space UN than the integrated country it will be later and Star Fleet seems like it's a strictly human/Earth organization throughout. Most of that stuff didn't become clear until the movies.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In TOS they call it "the Star Fleet" a lot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

UESPA even has a callous or two in Enterprise.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, if you were watching reruns in 1968 and frantically trying to kludge together a continuity (like all those poor bastards who thought "stardates" mattered), you'd have every reason to think that the Enterprise was an "Earth ship" working for the "United Earth Space Probe Agency" as part of a "Star Fleet" of other Earth ships (with Spock as the one alien member) that sometimes worked with a UN-like "United Federation of Planets."

Basically everything we think we know about the Star Trek setting is one big retcon.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, if you were watching reruns in 1968 and frantically trying to kludge together a continuity (like all those poor bastards who thought "stardates" mattered), you'd have every reason to think that the Enterprise was an "Earth ship" working for the "United Earth Space Probe Agency" as part of a "Star Fleet" of other Earth ships (with Spock as the one alien member) that sometimes worked with a UN-like "United Federation of Planets."

Basically everything we think we know about the Star Trek setting is one big retcon.

This sounds like Vulcanian logic.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

VanSandman posted:

The Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order should've just blown up the wormhole instead of some half-assed attempt to kill the Dominion. Hell, after they hosed up the Federation should've blown up the wormhole.

This comes up actually, they try to destroy the wormhole with a science beam but sabatoge reverses the polarity to where it can't be destroyed anymore.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Do the psychic aliens from the first episode that live in the wormhole and don't understand time or space ever come up again? Or is that just entirely a plot device representing Sisko getting over himself?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

dont even fink about it posted:

Do the psychic aliens from the first episode that live in the wormhole and don't understand time or space ever come up again? Or is that just entirely a plot device representing Sisko getting over himself?

You what mate

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Yes, yes they do. Quite often in fact.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

8one6 posted:

Well, DS9 would have still been the largest (and only I think) space port for Bajor but without the drama/excitement/adventure the wormhole brings it would just end up being the mostly boring office job style posting Starfleet expected it to be. I seriously doubt Bajor would have moved to become a member of the Federation. Starfleet would have run DS9 for maybe 5 years before being asked to leave.

Which is what they all expected it to be when they got there. That must have been some duff assignment for Dax.

"Here's your new posting. Nominally it's a science officer posting, but you'll actually be doing traffic control and docking procedures for the next seven years."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ikasuhito posted:

Yes, yes they do. Quite often in fact.

Oh right, derr. I'm going to go to bed now.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

socialsecurity posted:

This comes up actually, they try to destroy the wormhole with a science beam but sabatoge reverses the polarity to where it can't be destroyed anymore.

Yeah the Federation tries it right before the invasion.

That Bajoran terrorist who tried to blow up the wormhole in season 1 or 2 could've saved billions of lives.

There could have been interesting stories if the Klingons, Romulans, and Cardassians and everyone else were empire-building in the Delta Quadrant kind of like the great African land grab and the Dominion response was because the foreigners were building an empire in their back yard, but since they didn't have the series plotted out that far in advance, it never happened.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 11, 2016

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Who signed off on the character design for Neelix? He's an ugly little rat man with the worst fashion sense in the galaxy, did they want the audience to be constantly repulsed when he was on screen?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Just saw some fuckin' Remans on Enterprise. Nice that they at least tried to respect the amazing world-building that went on in Nemesis.

Cojawfee posted:

"Looks like you met these guys 'B4' you were supposed to. :smugdog:" - Crewman Daniels

Sigh. Prequels are the worst.

Pwnstar posted:

Who signed off on the character design for Neelix? He's an ugly little rat man with the worst fashion sense in the galaxy, did they want the audience to be constantly repulsed when he was on screen?

A thousand times this. His fashion sense is like all those weird space napkins/blankets/fabric they always use on Trek.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
How does Janeway burn a replicated pot roast and why is she serving it to Chakotay, a vegetarian?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

Also the way that cloaking devices make ships invisible to the naked eye, as if that's something anyone in space would care about.

Hmm yes *scribbes on focus group clipboard* in addition to phase pistols and hull plating we must bring it even closer to TNG...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

In TOS they call it "the Star Fleet" a lot.

The Army, The Navy, The Air Force, The Coast Guard

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pwnstar posted:

Hey, it worked last time...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's probably because of the fact that my last arc run of DS9 was ages ago, but why did the Federation keep going through the wormhole once they realized that it pointed into the territory of a dangerous murder faction? The minute you realize you're in someone else's turf and they don't want you there, you say "sorry, I didn't know", you turn around, and you lock the magical door behind you. That way, the Dominion is just a race way out there, you're way out here, and nobody is gonna have an issue with anyone.

Oh, and another DS9 question: was the Defiant mandated by the higher ups? I thought the draw of the series was that it was a central location rather than a ship, but half the episodes I remember are "We were tooling around in the Defiant and found this hosed up thing".

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 11, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Questions like that are answered in that Star Trek 50 book. Highly recommend

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

It's probably because of the fact that my last arc run of DS9 was ages ago, but why did the Federation keep going through the wormhole once they realized that it pointed into the territory of a dangerous murder faction? The minute you realize you're in someone else's turf and they don't want you there, you say "sorry, I didn't know", you turn around, and you lock the magical door behind you. That way, the Dominion is just a race way out there, you're way out here, and nobody is gonna have an issue with anyone.

Oh, and another DS9 question: was the Defiant mandated by the higher ups? I thought the draw of the series was that it was a central location rather than a ship, but half the episodes I remember are "We were tooling around in the Defiant and found this hosed up thing".

That it was a central location with no Trekking was one of the complaints too. It is both right and wrong.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^^ Oh, I know that, and rightfully so. I was just wondering if they were leaned on to make it actual Trek, or if they did it on their own.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Questions like that are answered in that Star Trek 50 book. Highly recommend

I'm about a hundred pages into the first Star Trek 50 book, which is why I asked now so I don't have to wait until way later. :colbert:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

I can't really put a finger on why, but I think Quark's outfits work in a way that Neelix's don't.

Like, he's supposed to be a sleazy slimeball. I'd totally buy that that's something a used starship salesman would wear.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MisterBibs posted:

The wormhole only led somewhat near Dominion space. Sisko and company only ran across the Dominion after exploring the Gamma Quadrant for, what, a couple of years?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Fister Roboto posted:

I can't really put a finger on why, but I think Quark's outfits work in a way that Neelix's don't.

Like, he's supposed to be a sleazy slimeball. I'd totally buy that that's something a used starship salesman would wear.

Most of Quark's outfits are either dark or one or two solid colors. Neelix wears a lot of pale and multicolor pastel poo poo, so you really notice how hideous they are. Plus, the Ferengi design is more...cohesive? Neelix looks like someone crammed three separate alien appliances onto one actor and then painted giant scans on his temples.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MisterBibs posted:

It wouldn't have mattered. A big trait of the changelings are that they're super paranoid and prone to "preemptive defense" because they think that anyone who isn't genetically engineered to be their worshipful slaves will try to attack them eventually. As long as the wormhole existed and was functional, the Dominion would have been a problem the Federation couldn't just avoid.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MisterBibs posted:

^^ Oh, I know that, and rightfully so. I was just wondering if they were leaned on to make it actual Trek, or if they did it on their own.

I'm about a hundred pages into the first Star Trek 50 book, which is why I asked now so I don't have to wait until way later. :colbert:
The Defiant and Worf's transfer to DS9 were both studio requirements when TNG ended. The showrunners didn't have any say in it.

Fortunately, they were both positive additions.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

That outfit looks way too drat warm to shoot in.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

VanSandman posted:

I can't remember which episode or what happened, but they do something to the wormhole on accident that makes it impossible to blow up.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

The Defiant and Worf's transfer to DS9 were both studio requirements when TNG ended. The showrunners didn't have any say in it.

Fortunately, they were both positive additions.

Worf was, but it sounds like the showrunners came up with the Defiant and had to get it approved.

IRA STEVEN BEHR posted:

You had these little piss-rear end ships going up against what we were saying were the greatest force of the Gamma Quadrant. We had to come up with a ship to combat them, and that’s when we talked to Michael Piller and Rick Berman and said, “We need to build a ship, to come up with something powerful and nasty, something with teeth to it, so it doesn’t seem ridiculous that this space station is the only thing between the Dominion and the Alpha Quadrant,” and that got us into the first couple of episodes.

RICK BERMAN posted:

For two years we were dying to somehow find a way to get the show to be a little less stationary, and the feeling was that if we could come up with a ship that was slightly bigger than a runabout shuttle, it would give us a little more freedom. On the other hand, it still is not the same thing as being on a starship. If you get on the Niña or the Pinta or the Santa María and go to find the new world, you’re an explorer. If you do it in such a way that you have to come back to Barcelona every weekend, it’s not the same thing.

IRA STEVEN BEHR posted:

Oh, man, getting Rick to agree to the Defiant … no ship was better named than the Defiant, because it was, like, “This is what we want to do and you have to give it to us.” “Well, it has to be small.” They didn’t want it to be a starship. We said, “Fine, but it will have a bridge and it’s going to have weapons. And it’s going to be a ship to defend the loving Alpha Quadrant from whatever comes through the wormhole or what goes through the wormhole.” That was a fight, but we stuck to our guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lowen SoDium posted:

I can't remember which episode or what happened, but they do something to the wormhole on accident that makes it impossible to blow up.

By Inferno's Light, I believe, because it was the fake Bashir that sabotaged the attempt to close the wormhole