Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Scrooge and monterray jack for mvci

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
mario maker underwhelm

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

I'm C1

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
D3 sings its siren song to me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

C2

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5hDW6RsPc

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

d4 all the way

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There were some pretty great Disney games for the NES, SNES, and Genesis/MegaDrive.

Darkwing Duck, DuckTales (both of those by Capcom iirc), two Rescue Rangers games, The Lion King, Aladdin, uh probably more i forget

There's that one with Mickey and Donald for the Genesis i think i remember that being good.

There's a Toy Story game for SNES by Traveler's Tails and Psygnosis that looks like a technological marvel but it sucks

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 11, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Castle and World of Illusion were both pretty great and Quackshot was decent too, probably one of the earliest games I played at that gated progress behind having certain items.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Goof Troop was pretty good

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

gently caress i forgot about Goof Troop. That game kicked rear end. Also by Capcom.

Has there ever been another game even like that? It was so fun.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Shinji Mikami worked on Aladdin and Goof Troop, both of which rule

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So how's the FFXV chocobo music?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

So how's the FFXV chocobo music?

I want to know if they went back to basing/naming the themes after certain musical genres or was that entirely Uematsu's gimmick that went with him?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel the Genesis Aladdin ruined Disney games. Like despite being a Sega fanboy, I had to concede that I thought the Capcom SNES version was more fun but the everyone only really paid attention to the much prettier Genesis one because it was much prettier. after that Disney dumped Capcom and went to Virgin for much less fun games that were often full of utter bullshit but were much smoother animated and eventually just started making games in house

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Palpek posted:

So is The Last Guardian good or not?

I'm having much fewer issues with Trico than videos led me to believe. Once you get used to the fact that Trico's size makes it take a long time to do anything and get a feel for when he's in a receptive idle state commands get more reliable, I don't think I've spent more than 30 seconds trying to get him to do something. And it's full of really clever, consistently inventive touches. I only just now, most of the way through, discovered that you can kill guards by pulling their helmets off when they're knocked to the ground. My favorite puzzle solution so far has been commanding Trico to dive into a pool so I can use the wave he generates to rise to a ledge that's just out of reach.

There's still a ton of jank, though. The framerate plummets whenever a lot of action is happening. The camera can get stuck in corners and behind walls in ways everyone else has figured out how to prevent now. Things are turned over to the physics simulation that probably shouldn't be; it's annoying when the boy fails to step over a piece of debris because one of his feet landed wrong and slid off or how boxes rotate when you push them off-center and force you to reorient. And there's no reason for the long limping animation after a bad fall, it's a stupid penalty considering how often it's the game's own fault you missed a jump.

It's an old-school sort of game that rewards patience and persistence and won't give you anything for free, so yeah, it's very much like training an animal in real life.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 11, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Volcott posted:

Has anyone played Body Harvest in, like, the last decade? Does it hold up at all?

Like most n64 shooters that are unorthodox by today's standards, the controls never feel good and the world feels very empty.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Capcom made so many awesome Disney games for about 8 years. It's hard to believe a company that used to regularly spin gold out of cash-in licensed games can barely get a halfway decent in-house game out nowadays.

Mak0rz posted:

Has there ever been another game even like that? It was so fun.

Yeah, it's called the Resident Evil series.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, it's called the Resident Evil series.

Yes but pretend i asked it and wanted a serious, not-joke response

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Resi 1 actually runs on the Goof Troop engine

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mak0rz posted:

Yes but pretend i asked it and wanted a serious, not-joke response

I wasn't joking, the design philosophy of Goof Troop is very close to Resident evil, with room-based challenges that consist of avoiding enemies and solving puzzles, and lots of backtracking once you get keys.

I guess the closest I can think of that doesn't have a totally different atmosphere is the Eggerland series, but it's not all that similar, and despite constantly featuring two characters on the cover, has never been co-op to my knowledge.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

Resi 1 actually runs on the Goof Troop engine

I heard this before and it sounds ridiculous. Is there any confirmed truth behind it?

Lurdiak posted:

I wasn't joking, the design philosophy of Goof Troop is very close to Resident evil, with room-based challenges that consist of avoiding enemies and solving puzzles, and lots of backtracking once you get keys.

I guess the closest I can think of that doesn't have a totally different atmosphere is the Eggerland series, but it's not all that similar, and despite constantly featuring two characters on the cover, has never been co-op to my knowledge.

I mean yeah if you want to be super reductionist about it I guess Resident Evil and Goof Troop are the same, but you can also say Zelda and Metroid are the same by that logic.

Eggerland/Lolo is the only one I can think of too, shame it isn't co-op though. Actually now that I think about it there's also co-op Lode Runner game for XBLA that my buddy and I played to death that was pretty good.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Alright Shantae 1/2 all finished, easy 100% too in less than 6 hours. Definitely the best game in the series IMO. Can't see the achievements yet since the game still isn't technically out, I wonder what else would even be left to do.

So the unlockable mode is Hero mode which is pretty underwhelming, it's much like the 'speedrun' mode of Pirate's Curse, but they only give you a few of your old abilities so you can't actually sequence break a lot of stuff you would think you could, so still backtracking central even if it's slightly reduced. Looking forward to see what they do with the Risky mode anyway, kind of a shame they didn't hit the stretch goal for the other characters.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Isn't Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajim very similar to Goof Troop? I have never played it but I've heard it talked about and kinda want to check it out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I just did business with a gamestop for the first time in a while and it was bad.

i get an email out of no where that i have 2x 5 dollar coupons that can only be used in store. Apparently and without warning they started a new policy this month that every 15 days all your reward points are liquidated into 5 dollar coupons that expire within 15 days. You can log in to change it to not do this, but I haven't logged in there in a long rear end time and had forgotten i had any points at all.

so now i got 10 free dollars but i have to use them separately, they can't be combined, and after like 10 minutes of used bin diving i find 2 games I want, Ninja Gaidan razors edge and sonic generations and doing the math in my head i should get out of there for around 10 bucks after tax and coupons.

Well the prices on both games were wrong when scanned into the register so now they want 22 bucks for 2 old rear end games after a 10 dollar discount and the clerk kept trying to put both coupons on the same transaction which didn't work at all cause they were single use. then a manager wanders by and starts yelling at the clerk that i should get a 3rd game free because of a promotion which takes even longer cause the computer won't take my coupons with that deal.

somehow i walked out of there with call of juarez bound in blood, and ninja gaiden 3re for full price and a free copy of sonic generations (which they wanted 19.99 for originally) and all it took was like an hour of sweating in my coat in their hot store listening to kids complain to their parents.

my receipt is inscrutable and like 4 feet long with all the weird poo poo they did on it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mak0rz posted:

I mean yeah if you want to be super reductionist about it I guess Resident Evil and Goof Troop are the same, but you can also say Zelda and Metroid are the same by that logic.

don't mind, if i do :twisted:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Alright Shantae 1/2 all finished, easy 100% too in less than 6 hours. Definitely the best game in the series IMO. Can't see the achievements yet since the game still isn't technically out, I wonder what else would even be left to do.

So the unlockable mode is Hero mode which is pretty underwhelming, it's much like the 'speedrun' mode of Pirate's Curse, but they only give you a few of your old abilities so you can't actually sequence break a lot of stuff you would think you could, so still backtracking central even if it's slightly reduced. Looking forward to see what they do with the Risky mode anyway, kind of a shame they didn't hit the stretch goal for the other characters.

I seem to recall them hitting Sky's after the fact (somehow) so there's that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think they did hit the goals for the other costumes and characters, in the extended funding period after the kickstarter ended.

I'm hoping the other costumes give her at least one new ability. I've always felt like if she could do one more movement or attack thing or if non-pike ball magic wasn't useless then the games would be way better.

And to be clear, scimitar is completely busted.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 11, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Isn't Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajim very similar to Goof Troop? I have never played it but I've heard it talked about and kinda want to check it out.

Oh poo poo I forgot about this game. Yeah it is!

oddium posted:

don't mind, if i do :twisted:

Yes yes I know this is a :can: that comes up at least once every thread. My point is yes, Zelda and Metroid are basically the same "find item, use item to explore, repeat" gameplay but if someone says "I want a game like Zelda" and you tell them to play Metroid then you are being disingenuous.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I read through an article on the making of the new Tom Clancy game on Polygon and it was pretty depressing! You play as one of those US Special Ops teams that go and kill people in foreign countries without any respect for international law, and it's kinda sad how that is a safe, uncontroversial premise that a big-budget game publisher will happily sign off on. It goes on about how the studio sent their whole art team to Bolivia for three weeks and they've created an amazing recreation of part of the country (eleven ecosystems! the biggest map ever! wow!) when it feels like it's just going to be this distorted facsimile of the country that looks accurate but is just an evil drug lords vs hero US soldiers playground.

I have been reading a lot about the interactions between real world violence and culture and media recently for a course I have been taking, so it's just sorta sad to see a piece of media do things like this because it has a real effect in how people understand the world. We need more peaceful games.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Which of these is the most choco-like?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Which of these is the most choco-like?

Top right IMO, although top left is a close 2nd.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This works out really well:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

This works out really well:

This new Enemy Skill materia has way too many abilities!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Yes yes I know this is a :can: that comes up at least once every thread. My point is yes, Zelda and Metroid are basically the same "find item, use item to explore, repeat" gameplay but if someone says "I want a game like Zelda" and you tell them to play Metroid then you are being disingenuous.
It's because they're different types of action, otherwise they are in the same category

now Zelda's going more towards RPG, while Metroid has gone more towards FPS (especially with Fed Force), while Castlevania went towards God of War

basically the terms Metroidvania or Zeltroid probably need to be renamed to something actually ongoing. Shantaequaria. Axiomknytt.

actually the upcoming Wonder Boy is the only old IP carrying the torch still. Wondermelee

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 11, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow. I never knew there was a Darkwing Duck NES game, but of course there would be. Apparently it's a good Megaman-alike, and the music is fuckin' rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7YQyDS3yg&hd=1

all those old Capcom Disney games were good,

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Adventures in the Magic Kingdom was really hard though. I think I almost broke my controller trying to beat Space Mountain.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Red Bones posted:

I read through an article on the making of the new Tom Clancy game on Polygon and it was pretty depressing! You play as one of those US Special Ops teams that go and kill people in foreign countries without any respect for international law, and it's kinda sad how that is a safe, uncontroversial premise that a big-budget game publisher will happily sign off on. It goes on about how the studio sent their whole art team to Bolivia for three weeks and they've created an amazing recreation of part of the country (eleven ecosystems! the biggest map ever! wow!) when it feels like it's just going to be this distorted facsimile of the country that looks accurate but is just an evil drug lords vs hero US soldiers playground.

I have been reading a lot about the interactions between real world violence and culture and media recently for a course I have been taking, so it's just sorta sad to see a piece of media do things like this because it has a real effect in how people understand the world. We need more peaceful games.

Bolded part tells you everything you need to know about how the story is going to go in the game

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's because they're different types of action, otherwise they are in the same category

now Zelda's going more towards RPG, while Metroid has gone more towards FPS (especially with Fed Force), while Castlevania went towards God of War

basically the terms Metroidvania or Zeltroid probably need to be renamed to something actually ongoing. Shantaequaria. Axiomknytt.

actually the upcoming Wonder Boy is the only old IP carrying the torch still. Wondermelee

bring back "doom clone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Bolded part tells you everything you need to know about how the story is going to go in the game

I mean it's hard to write good stories when you're dead

• Locked thread