Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Every time I see one of these I think about how pretty it is, but then I get worried about the electronics and how much of a bitch it would be to fix all the special little parts. But then I look at the exterior again...

Oh dear, there's one near me for 2 grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

As Nero Danced posted:

Every time I see one of these I think about how pretty it is, but then I get worried about the electronics and how much of a bitch it would be to fix all the special little parts. But then I look at the exterior again...

A friend of mine had one about ten years ago. Most of his life was spent resoldering or taking apart electronics of similar vintage to scavenge poo poo he needed.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Saw this guy in the valet parking arrivals at the spot that hosted the office holiday party the other night:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ether Frenzy posted:

Saw this guy in the valet parking arrivals at the spot that hosted the office holiday party the other night:

Like a Motherfucking BOSS.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

Unless you hate yourself or get off on fixing lovely coked out gm engineer wiring. DONT DONT DONT. Like the hot person at the party looks are only skin deep. The insides are crazy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

"Disneyland Imagineer, Bob Gurr test-driving an early prototype of his Autopia vehicle in 1955."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Neighbour of mine up the road daily's this.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Memento posted:

drat, he (or she) has style.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Memento posted:

Hell yuss

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

For Milwaukee goons: the new Zoo Interchange E->S ramp is pure sex. Can't wait till that's done (also, the added lane between National and Oklahoma is awesome too)

For everyone else, I present the ultimate Miata engine swap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

"Disneyland Imagineer, Bob Gurr test-driving an early prototype of his Autopia vehicle in 1955."

I always wanted to take one of the Six Flags Over Texas GT cars (or even the Antique Cars) off the track and just drive everywhere.

iospace posted:

For Milwaukee goons: the new Zoo Interchange E->S ramp is pure sex. Can't wait till that's done (also, the added lane between National and Oklahoma is awesome too)

For everyone else, I present the ultimate Miata engine swap:

Aw, c'mon, at least use the 670cc v-twin Predator.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtaQTS6HhzxFcGU_Q75dc88BCbuQZRA_W

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ofc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does Tesla give a coupon for vanity plates when you buy their car? Because I don't think I have seen a single one on the road that did NOT have something "clever" on their plates.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Doesnt have a 6bt running off coal dust supplied by a leaf blower

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alberta plates. Checks out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

xzzy posted:

Does Tesla give a coupon for vanity plates when you buy their car? Because I don't think I have seen a single one on the road that did NOT have something "clever" on their plates.

They're just regular cars where I am.

poo poo, one of the PDs has one as an undercover car. Split up next to it one day and was shocked as gently caress to see the screen showing cop poo poo, and a shotgun stowed next to the console.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
well it's half true

http://www.energy.alberta.ca/electricity/682.asp

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

This is the joke I assumed they were making, yeah?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This was in the Schadenfreude thread for some reason but clearly it belongs here:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
never lift

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I want to ride that bus.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

The timing of the blinker turning off lends the perfect air of normalcy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mobby_6kl posted:

This was in the Schadenfreude thread for some reason but clearly it belongs here:

I did that once going onto an on ramp with a FWD car. Somehow I got out of the slide perfectly aligned with the ramp. Once of those "OH gently caress" then "SWEET" moments that you could never do if you tried but don't want to try because it's your only car.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

Its like Audi TT drivers in Germany. You can only pick two letters so it seems they are by law required to pick TT.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

iospace posted:

I did that once going onto an on ramp with a FWD car. Somehow I got out of the slide perfectly aligned with the ramp. Once of those "OH gently caress" then "SWEET" moments that you could never do if you tried but don't want to try because it's your only car.

I did it round an on-ramp in PA a decade ago in a 1984 Chevy Citation. Like a good 80% of the ramp was a perfect drift... then slid across 2 lanes of highway and my rear end end gently tapped the median barrier.

Stopped and there was zero damage to that tonne of 80's iron, but the central median was busted to gently caress. No people or cars were harmed in the making of that drift (as unintentional as it was).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dpack_1 posted:

I did it round an on-ramp in PA a decade ago in a 1984 Chevy Citation. Like a good 80% of the ramp was a perfect drift... then slid across 2 lanes of highway and my rear end end gently tapped the median barrier.

Stopped and there was zero damage to that tonne of 80's iron, but the central median was busted to gently caress. No people or cars were harmed in the making of that drift (as unintentional as it was).

Your rear brakes probably locked up and turned your car into a Porsche 930 Turbo, because GM needed to save an extra $0.25 per car even if it meant dozens of people being killed. It was a big deal at the time and Reagan's NHTSA actually took GM to court over how terrible GM was at both making cars and covering up their terribleness at making cars, killing numerous people in the process.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...6-c4cef1d6d390/

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Shai-Hulud posted:

Its like Audi TT drivers in Germany. You can only pick two letters so it seems they are by law required to pick TT.

I live in Berlin, where plates follow the template B - [two letters] [number]. BMWs invariably get B - MW. Minis always have B - IG (cause get it)

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shai-Hulud posted:

And Porsche drivers always have to get 911 as the numbers after the two letters. If those are already taken, the internal model number is also acceptable.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I still to this day do not understand the point of these kind of plates or the windshield strip/giant back window banners that advertise the make of the vehicle.....there's badging on the vehicle that already does that for you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm extremely conflicted about where to post this, but I think I'm in the right place.

You guys would tell me if I was wrong, wouldn't you?

I mean, its a five speed turbo diesel. If it were AWD, it'd be peak AI.

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/10/02/10k-driver-bmw-turbodiesel5-speed-1986-vixen-21/

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can't even clarify why but vixens are AI as all hell.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MrYenko posted:

I'm extremely conflicted about where to post this, but I think I'm in the right place.

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/10/02/10k-driver-bmw-turbodiesel5-speed-1986-vixen-21/

The fact you even second-guessed yourself worries me slightly. Keep the faith, brother.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

MrYenko posted:

This thing is as cool as hell. Drivetrain regardless.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

wayfinder posted:

Minis always have B - IG (cause get it)

Doesn't quite work so well these days. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

The video is also a treat due to the soundtrack, a Russian version of Smells Like Teen Spirit. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XsgF8XaXLE

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

travisray2004 posted:

I still to this day do not understand the point of these kind of plates or the windshield strip/giant back window banners that advertise the make of the vehicle.....there's badging on the vehicle that already does that for you.

sometimes it's important that passing 747s know you drive a Nissan

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

MrYenko posted:

would

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

In that case, it was the correct response. If he'd have come off the throttle it probably would have whipped back the other way and spun out (don't ask me how I know.) Well done, bus driver guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Had a coworker in a previous job who daily drove one of these. He loved it.