Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PirateBob posted:

This is a film as good, if not superior to The Empire Strikes Back which was too male oriented and macho heavy. This film brings more balance to the franchise with another delightful female heroine who proves that the ladies are every bit as tough as the men - if not more so.

This engaging and exciting film will have men around the world showing new respect for the capabilities of the female gender.

The visual aspects: stunning imagery make this episode the prettiest since Empire Strikes Back - no mean feat considering how beautiful Empire looks. A film as elegant and admirable as its protagonist, for sure.

Thank goodness that women have a high profile in the Star Wars franchise nowadays - I am looking forward to seeing many more female imperial officers and stormtroopers in future episodes.

either source your quotes or get out you creep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Force Awakens does have some good visuals, but I do think the location work suffers a bit- the planet of rivers is an interesting visual from space, but on the ground it's a little generic. I did like that Starkiller Base had a snowy alpine forest, though, that's something we hadn't seen in the movies before and it was cool.

That said this also feels like a change in how movies like this are made and shot- backgrounds simply aren't emphasized as much anymore. In old movies, if you spent a lot on a big location you want to show it off! Lots of big wide panning shots to take in all the buildings and the cast of thousands, and of course matte paintings require you keep the camera in place. The motion control that Star Wars innovated made effects shots a little less locked off, but they still used mattes and such, and in the prequels, even with the freedom of CG backgrounds, the camera still takes the time to gently swoop over the exotic alien locales and show you how weird they are. Here's a planet where everyone lives in giant pits in the ground! Here's a water planet! Etc.

(On top of this, I think that because of the more "political" subject matter of the prequels vs. the OT, Lucas looked for reference to historical epics, Biblical movies, etc. There's a lot of De Mille and D. W. Griffith in the vistas of Coruscant and the big pod race and so on. Williams' score even quotes a bit of Miklos Rosza in the latter.)

Modern movies just don't focus on backgrounds much, you sometimes get the "beauty shots" introducing fantastic worlds, but the action is all very clearly foregrounded and the background is always rushing by. This is partly the aforementioned freedom of digital composition, and also I think action scenes have gotten a little less tactical and more expressionistic- there isn't the Hitchcockian emphasis on knowing where everyone is at all times, it's more "you FEEL the hit as the protagonist is knocked halfway across the countryside."

And people did complain about the prequels taking too much time up with pageantry and showing ships landing and taking off and so on, so there's been more an emphasis on efficiency.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Phi230 posted:

either source your quotes or get out you creep

Um that's my review. Show a bit more respect for female posters please.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phi230 posted:

No this isn't an SMG vendetta I'm just pouring out my opinions on the subject since all I've done so far is shitpost I might as well explain my position.

Back to the shitposting then?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Phi230 posted:

we would avoid all these problems if weirdos like SMG/Cnut/you didn't deify star wars but here we are

But the part where idiots start shitposting because they're upset other people thought about the film is the best part.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hbomberguy posted:

But the part where idiots start shitposting because they're upset other people thought about the film is the best part.

lol you call me insecure but i post one sentence and its like kicking the hornets nest with all you usual suspects

accept that the prequels are bad into your heart and soul and drop the narcissistic rage

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You're pretty bad at talking about movies.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I didn't call you insecure. That's your own thing to work through.

In the meantime, would you like to talk about Star War?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i abstain from star war talk until we actually talk about good star wars, ie rogue one

until then the cycle must continue

Bongo Bill posted:

You're pretty bad at talking about movies.

i can talk about good movies all day baby its just a shame none of you want to

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

i abstain from star war talk until we actually talk about good star wars, ie rogue one

I haven't seen it yet. Not out until Friday.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I haven't seen it yet. Not out until Friday.

same

im gonna put down some cash that Cnut and SMG hate it though

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

ok. i super hyped for movie, but I still wish a non-white woman was playing Jyn. I'm just not that impressed by Felicity Jones, but I'll give her a chance. Really happy that there's a lot men of color in the cast, tho.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

ok. i super hyped for movie, but I still wish a non-white woman was playing Jyn. Really glad that there's a lot men of color in the cast, tho

its a shame that riz is in a supporting role and from what i've seen won't have much of a presence

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

OK I get what you guys were meaning about Phi. Jeez, that's some 4chan level shitposting you got there.

I went to the midnight release for TFA but deep down knew I was never going to this one. I'll be interesting to see what people cosplay as.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

confirmed: thread retards just don't like star wars

see:

doesn't like Rey, Han Solo, TFA or the OT in general. Just wants the prequels again

I like Rey just fine. I like Han Solo. I like TFA. I like the OT. I like the prequels. I like Star Wars.

Phi230 posted:

same

Why? I don't even hate TFA, and I suspect that Rogue One will be a better movie than that.

Why are you being so grumpy and weird?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

ok. i super hyped for movie, but I still wish a non-white woman was playing Jyn. I'm just not that impressed by Felicity Jones, but I'll give her a chance. Really happy that there's a lot men of color in the cast, tho.

also from what I understand there is a non-white lead woman in the han solo film so rejoice

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

I like Rey just fine. I like Han Solo. I like TFA. I like the OT. I like the prequels. I like Star Wars.

Why? I don't even hate TFA, and I suspect that Rogue One will be a better movie than that.

You said a good thing about the prequels which isn't allowed

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phi230 posted:

same

So your opinions of movies are more political than based on anything actually in the movie, since you've already decided that you like this movie and others hate it without seeing it. Interesting.

What will you do if they like Rogue One? Will you decide you hate it because it's a prequel?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cnut the Great posted:

u dont like TFA

TFA, by your own admission, is disturbingly similar to ANH

therefore by disliking TFA you dislike ANH

ipso facto

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Phi230 posted:

I have zero faith in Gareth Edwards to give us anything that isn't pretty looking pablum after Godzilla and Monsters, to be honest.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

I have zero faith in Gareth Edwards to give us anything that isn't pretty looking pablum after Godzilla and Monsters, to be honest.

But Gareth is great at making grandiosity which is what RO really needs

Basically look at the shot of Rogue One flying over the Ruined Jedi Statute, that's such a telltale Edwards shot.

Same with the Death Star on the horizon

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

also from what I understand there is a non-white lead woman in the han solo film so rejoice

nope. http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-spinoff-female-lead-1201916126/

quote:

Clarke will star opposite Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover, who play Solo and fellow smuggler Lando Calrissian, respectively.

“Selma” and “Creed” star Tessa Thompson, “Power Rangers” actress Naomi Scott, and Zoe Kravitz read for the female lead in October. Another group, which included Clarke, “Dope’s” Kiersey Clemons, fellow “Thrones” actress Jessica Henwick, and “Emerald City” star Adria Arjona tested in London. Clarke ultimately landed the role.

several women of color auditioned, but of course the white, British brunette woman got the part.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

So you're saying the imagery where Ren's face is half blue/red, and turns full red as the sky darkens, symbolizing his complete fall to the Dark Side, is stupid and bad because its not the prequels ok cool

notice how you criticize the OT and TFA but the prequels are untouchable, bias exposed

I like those shots. It's also all already been done in previous Star Wars films, as it's pretty basic visual symbolism, and isn't exactly something which elevates a decent movie (which TFA is) to a great one. It's just a positive aspect about the movie. This is what I honestly think, and so I will say it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

nope. http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-spinoff-female-lead-1201916126/

several women of color auditioned, but of course the white, British brunette woman got the part.

ugh

even Lupita Nyong'o got the CGI character treatment in TFA

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

So you're saying the imagery where Ren's face is half blue/red, and turns full red as the sky darkens, symbolizing his complete fall to the Dark Side, is stupid and bad because its not the prequels ok cool

notice how you criticize the OT and TFA but the prequels are untouchable, bias exposed

I like those shots. It's also all already been done in previous Star Wars films, as it's pretty basic visual symbolism, and isn't exactly something which elevates a decent movie (which TFA is) to a great one. It's just a positive aspect about the movie. This is what I honestly think, and so I will say it.

Phi230 posted:

But Gareth is great at making grandiosity which is what RO really needs

Basically look at the shot of Rogue One flying over the Ruined Jedi Statute, that's such a telltale Edwards shot.

Same with the Death Star on the horizon

Yes, those are good.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 11, 2016

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I thought Han had a black wife in the new comics, why isn't she in the movie? Along with Darth Vader's friend the archaeologist.

Also, yeah, Edwards is good for making grandiose shots, but if that's all you're basing your movie on (see: Godzilla 2014) it's not gonna be particularly memorable in the long run.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

I thought Han had a black wife in the new comics, why isn't she in the movie? Along with Darth Vader's friend the archaeologist.

Also, yeah, Edwards is good for making grandiose shots, but if that's all you're basing your movie on (see: Godzilla 2014) it's not gonna be particularly memorable in the long run.

TBH I liked Godzilla 2014, and I think its no coincidence that out of all my friends that went to see it, I was the one who liked it because I didn't see any trailers and didn't have any kind of expectation of Brian Cranston or that white soldier guy

It was pretty much a standard godzilla movie, but some of the shots really added to the mystique (?) of godzilla. specifically the shot where he stands up in the dust cloud, and its eerily silent, and the lightning highlights his silhouette out from the fog

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I mean I'll freely admit that I was mostly disappointed because it didn't meet my expectations. But for someone that's been a life-long Godzilla fan, I was really excited for Godzilla to get an actual big-budget treatment that wasn't the asinine Emmerich film. But it seems like Edwards and Co. didn't want to/know how to make an actual Godzilla reboot so they rebooted the equivalent of Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster instead.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I think that, like every other Star Wars prequel, Rogue One will be a Good Movie(tm).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

I mean I'll freely admit that I was mostly disappointed because it didn't meet my expectations. But for someone that's been a life-long Godzilla fan, I was really excited for Godzilla to get an actual big-budget treatment that wasn't the asinine Emmerich film. But it seems like Edwards and Co. didn't want to/know how to make an actual Godzilla reboot so they rebooted the equivalent of Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster instead.

What would've made it a better godzilla move? Honest question, I've only ever seen parts of Godzilla vs. Mothra

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The biggest problem I had with Godzilla 2014 was the constant 'you want to see Godzilla fight? Well not right now, loser, I'm going to make another jokey cut to something else!"

It makes me somewhat expect that the Death Star firing in Rogue One would be relegated to being on a screen in the background while people are talking.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Interesting looking shots is at least a step up from TFA. I mean, I enjoyed the movie, but there's not much exciting going on visually.

It's funny, for all the emphasis on ~*~location shooting~*~ being a throwback to the OT, everyone's favorite ESB has some of the least location shooting of any movie in the saga (in fact, I think only ROTS has less). Some exterior scenes on Hoth is it; other than that, Echo Base, Dagobah, and Cloud City are all sound stages and matte paintings. And that fact really helps establish ESB's particular look; not only does it give a lot more control over things look lighting and shot framing, but it also means you can create some really unique environments. Take Dagobah, for example; it's less an actual realistic swamp than it is the platonic ideal of a swamp, a dark, weird primeval space that wouldn't be achievable in the real world. Compare to the entirely real and entirely boring redwood forest of Endor in ROTJ, which just looks like everyone took a bus up to Northern California. Which is basically what they did.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Phi230 posted:

until then the cycle must continue

i can talk about good movies all day baby its just a shame none of you want to

U could just not post, but uh, assuming ur living the sad GBS style lifestyle where that's not an option condolences.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Phi230 posted:

What would've made it a better godzilla move? Honest question, I've only ever seen parts of Godzilla vs. Mothra

Basically there are two types of Godzilla movies - Godzilla solos and Versus movies. The Godzilla solo movies usually tend to focus on Godzilla as a character, or an idea (he's the manifestation of the horrors of nuclear war, he's a prism through which to view Cold War geopolitics, he represents the national anxieties of Japan, etc.), but the vast majority of Godzilla movies have been Versus movies, with a few hybrids, and the popular memory of Godzilla in the West leans pretty overwhelmingly towards "two guys in lizard costumes wrestle with each other." Which is fine; there have been plenty of good (and bad) examples of both types of movies, but the thing of it is that, in a movie where Godzilla fights other monsters, it's that much harder to define Godzilla as a character. That's what Godzilla 2014 failed to do in my opinion: all the dramatic tension and character motivations across the board focused on the MUTO monsters that Godzilla was fighting; Godzilla's role in the story is pretty much nothing but a deus ex machina to resolve the plot. Now, I understand why they did this: they want to turn this Godzilla movie into a franchise, which basically means he's gonna keep fighting other monsters, and to characterize Godzilla would necessitate him actually doing...something else besides showing up to get rid of our Monster of the Week. But the list of things Godzilla can do is pretty short (roar, fight monsters, fight army, destroy city), and while he did plenty of the first two in G14, having the movie dwell on Godzilla killing ARE TROOPS or deliberately causing a hundred 9/11s would make it pretty drat difficult to spin him into a superhero, which is pretty clearly what they think is the most marketable way to handle a Godzilla franchise.

tl;dr: I wanted a movie that was about Godzilla, which would probably have meant he would have to do stuff that would make him ill-suited to headline a superhero franchise, which is what the studio wants to do.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 11, 2016

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Why did they go to all that trouble of bringing in all those trees and fake snow, and drafting those enormous matte paintings for the pine forest in TFA and then decide to do absolutely nothing weird or interesting to it? It really could've used a bit of Avatar's sense of weirdness.

I guess what I'm asking is, is any set ever going to be better than the carbon freezing chamber?

And I guess what I'm saying is that the answer is obviously no.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Godzilla should be in a Star Wars movie IMO, but as a Yoda analogue.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Godzilla should be in a Star Wars movie IMO, but as a Yoda analogue.

Godzilla is the non-white female lead in the upcoming Han Solo prequel. The best scene is when she takes out the Falcon and pretends to talk on it as if it were a cell phone, momentarily confusing the giant General Stnoke (which is different from Snoke and so still really cool you guys), and Han Solo steps out, shoots Stnoke between the eyes, and shrugs and gives a lopsided grin.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jewmanji posted:

No he's saying the shot is composed to look like something ripped off DeviantArt.

Right; Abrams (in TFA) is consistently focussed on the concept of light rather than on making a well-lit scene. You can note his repeated emphasis on reflections in characters' eyes - which is not really a Star Wars 'thing', is it?

Can you recall, in any of the previous films, closeups of Luke's big, wet eyes that emphasize the phenomenology of looking and blah blah blah? Note how Abrams puts in this recurring sunlight imagery, characters looking up at the sun, etc. "Where there's light there's hope!" The 'light side' was never literalized this way before. The opposite was the case, in fact.

Luke's talk of a 'bright centre of the universe' was purely metaphorical.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

I think part of it was the location shooting too. Look at how many exteriors in the I-VI are themselves sets or CG and heavily stylized. Almost everything in Force Awakens is very flat compared to how the Death Star had huge towers and pits in it, the urban area they chase the shapeshifting assassin into in Attack of the Clones, etc. Plus I know it's a CG show so it's basically cheating but the Clone Wars show also made sure to always had this really heavy emphasis on vertical space, everything felt vast even if it didn't necessarily look "alien" and really helped a lot.

The strongest locations in Force Awakens for me were the star destroyer wrecks in the first third (both while Rey is spelunking and during the dogfight later) and the bridge where Han and Ren meet because they create that sort of hugeness around the characters again. Like when they're escaping Maz' club and a battle breaks out, we're on this dense forest swamp planet but somehow the entire fight takes place in this flat rocky area with some ruins of Maz' place instead. It just looks a bit half-assed. Max Von Sydow's camp or whatever also looked really bad like that. Dagobah was a set but it was so lavishly dense that it didn't matter that it was a set and it was built around giving the impression of hugeness, like the roots of those trees are huge. When Ren captures Rey shortly after they're in the woods and the lighting and everything kind of comes together again, you could look at those brief moments compared to other points in I-VI and know that that's Takodana and not Endor's moon or Dagobah.

So I don't really mind the ships and bases being bland on the inside because hey they look like Star Wars, but the exteriors kind of let me down.

I think this quote from Anthony Daniels about the philosophy behind TFA says it all:

Anthony Daniels posted:

“It became clear early on that with JJ we were getting back to the old-fashioned kind of film-making. We have walls. Actual sets! All right, so you might not have a view out of the window, but you have a window. Now, what else can I tell you?”

An actual view out a window? Pfah! We're far beyond such green screen-obsessed Lucasian indulgences as that.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Interesting looking shots is at least a step up from TFA. I mean, I enjoyed the movie, but there's not much exciting going on visually.

It's funny, for all the emphasis on ~*~location shooting~*~ being a throwback to the OT, everyone's favorite ESB has some of the least location shooting of any movie in the saga (in fact, I think only ROTS has less). Some exterior scenes on Hoth is it; other than that, Echo Base, Dagobah, and Cloud City are all sound stages and matte paintings. And that fact really helps establish ESB's particular look; not only does it give a lot more control over things look lighting and shot framing, but it also means you can create some really unique environments. Take Dagobah, for example; it's less an actual realistic swamp than it is the platonic ideal of a swamp, a dark, weird primeval space that wouldn't be achievable in the real world. Compare to the entirely real and entirely boring redwood forest of Endor in ROTJ, which just looks like everyone took a bus up to Northern California. Which is basically what they did.

It's worth noting that Cloud City was supposed to come across as a huge, open, expansive metropolis, to contrast against all the small, isolated, sparsely populated locations the heroes had previously visited, but the technology wasn't there for it, so it just ended up looking like a few claustrophobic hallways built on a sound stage somewhere. Then Lucas had the gall with the Special Editions to make it so you could actually see out the windows, oh no! Oh yeah, and he also added a tracking shot of a Cloud Car flying above a sprawling view of the city, and then had the gall to claim it was all originally supposed to be that way. Well, where's the evidence, George?

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished my 2016 catchup and watched Ex Machina, Blue Ruin, Green Room, Neon Demon, and John Wick

I have no purpose in life anymore, somebody recco me a movie to watch

• Locked thread