Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

If it was "anything with a current border" I would absolutely play Frontier.

Just wait two years, because after Frontier goes the way of Tiny Leaders, that's the next thing people are going to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Jy5xx7JBQ

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Voyager I posted:

You can build a solid Modern Elves deck for like $100-200, which is also the price of most competitive standard decks, with the added upside that you can use the deck forever and all the expensive cards are cards that will likely hold their value if you later decide to trade them in for something else as opposed to cards that are going to go from $20 to $1 as soon as they rotate.

I will look into a decent modern deck in a year or so when a majority of my collection rotates, it is still an incredibly hard format to learn when you have an insane amount of sets of cards to learn. I think my best bet is going to be building UW spirits for modern, I've opened up a lot of the good spirits from SOI and EMN and I think I could turn them into a good budget UW Spirits deck next year. I have no plans to stop playing standard, it is more popular than modern in my area and I enjoy playing it a lot and it's easy to learn. I can bring a $60 deck to FNM like my RG energy deck and compete and enjoy playing. I want to play more modern but I feel bad going to a shop to play and having to read off every card to figure out what it does when I play against anyone not using a meta deck though. I can definitely see why modern is more popular for long time veteran players, keeping the value of your collection is great.

Do you have a list for a solid modern elves deck that could compete? I have opened a ton of standard staples in my packs of KLD and EMN and could prolly trade for a lot of the cards I need. Or do you think building the spirits deck would be a better idea for a less than $150 budget modern deck?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TwistedNails posted:

Do you have a list for a solid modern elves deck that could compete? I have opened a ton of standard staples in my packs of KLD and EMN and could prolly trade for a lot of the cards I need. Or do you think building the spirits deck would be a better idea for a less than $150 budget modern deck?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-85-45-tix-modern-beatdown-elves

This whole Budget Modern series is pretty good if you have time to peruse them all. There's even UW Spirits for you too.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

keeblerdrow posted:

I've played Frontier quite a bit and it's fine for just having some fun with cards that would otherwise rot. I've got a GW Devotion deck that can actually close games thanks to Felidar Sovereign. It actually runs better with Cryptolith Rites than it ever did with Nykthos. It's missing Courser, but those just became Selfless Spirits, anyway.

I'm confused - does Frontier include Theros block or not?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheMaestroso posted:

Some people want it to contain M14 -> Present.

In reality, it would be Origins -> Present.

Edit: Errr...holo whatever cards. You get the point.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 12, 2016

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

TheMaestroso posted:

The only devotion mechanic that deck ever had was 3 copies of Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. Frontier is M15 and forward. It confuses you while you're deck building. Cause you can use Rabble Master, and Hornet Queen, and all these goodies you remember rotating out with Theros, but none of Theros itself.

I guess you could just call the deck GW Whisperwood Elemental Hell now, if you wanted to.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Part of frontier is all the cards are from the sets where the holo stamp to protect against the evil counterfeiting.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

C-Euro posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-85-45-tix-modern-beatdown-elves

This whole Budget Modern series is pretty good if you have time to peruse them all. There's even UW Spirits for you too.

I love that site, I was thinking of doing a similar list to the UW Spirits deck he had but with a few changes. Most of those budget decks don't look very good but the elves and UW Spirits look like they'd upgrade very well. Thanks

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I'd play a format that was just holo-sticker cards. Commander 2014/2015/2016, Conspiracy 1 and 2, Modern Masters 2015, Eternal Masters? Sounds like fun with lots of bans. Plus that's one more format where we can ban Sensei's Divining Top!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TwistedNails posted:

I love that site, I was thinking of doing a similar list to the UW Spirits deck he had but with a few changes. Most of those budget decks don't look very good but the elves and UW Spirits look like they'd upgrade very well. Thanks

They'd probably be good at the FNM level. Also I really want to build that non-budget version of Enchantress, and I already have everything for the BW Rally deck as soon as Modern Dredge eats a ban and people stop packing so much GY hate.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
The possibility storm deck is fun as hell when you switch in serum visions and gitaxian probes and a better mana base

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Did standard showdown yesterday with the UW Panharmonicon deck, went 2-1 and got 2 of the showdown packs. opened a emrakul.

guess its all downhill from here huh

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What do you think Yahheni's Expertise is going to land at price wise? Card seems pretty good.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Hellsau posted:

I'd play a format that was just holo-sticker cards. Commander 2014/2015/2016, Conspiracy 1 and 2, Modern Masters 2015, Eternal Masters? Sounds like fun with lots of bans. Plus that's one more format where we can ban Sensei's Divining Top!

Wow, adding sets that actually have fun cards in them to the format? We can't be having that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

What do you think Yahheni's Expertise is going to land at price wise? Card seems pretty good.

I would expect it to be the same as something like Languish was in standard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DangerDongs posted:

Well there's going to be 1 or 2 super-pushed mythics that will make up the 90% of the value of the set, so realistically? $3 max.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

dragon enthusiast posted:

Wow, adding sets that actually have fun cards in them to the format? We can't be having that.

We'd get to play counterspell again in that case right? I'm all in

Goddamnit wotc just let me play counterspell again it's been fifteen years

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

sit on my Facebook posted:

We'd get to play counterspell again in that case right? I'm all in

Goddamnit wotc just let me play counterspell again it's been fifteen years

You can have counterspell when red mages can have lightning bolt.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

You can have counterspell when red mages can have lightning bolt.

so

modern?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

so

modern?

I'd take a standard of Counterspell if Red also got Lightning Bolt is what I'm saying.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I'd take a standard of Counterspell if Red also got Lightning Bolt is what I'm saying.

what do the other 3 colours get in this hypothetical set?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Siege Rhino.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

what do the other 3 colours get in this hypothetical set?

tarmo, dark confidant and gently caress white

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Dark Ritual, Tireless Tracker, and best white one drop ever Thraben Inspector.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Turn 2 tokens and Stake Sisters look rad as hell.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Good news! In a hypothetical fun Frontier (aka "Funtier") where all cards from sets with the holo-sticker are legal, Lightning Bolt is available.

mandatory lesbian posted:

tarmo, dark confidant and gently caress white

White gets all the good cards from recent and newer sets to compensate. Or just keep Balance legal.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
When I say that Frontier should include all foil stamp sets, I mean it should also include everything printed since M15. So this will include all regular expansion sets since M15, reprint sets like Modern Masters and Eternal Masters, Conspiracy: Take the Crown, all Duel Decks from Speed vs. Cunning forward, all From the Vault sets from Annihilation forward, Duel Decks and Planechase anthologies, Commander 2014 forward, and all promotional cards released since the M15 card frame change.

Which means that Stoneforge Mystic and Jitte are Frontier-legal by this definition.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Star Man posted:

When I say that Frontier should include all foil stamp sets, I mean it should also include everything printed since M15. So this will include all regular expansion sets since M15, reprint sets like Modern Masters and Eternal Masters, Conspiracy: Take the Crown, all Duel Decks from Speed vs. Cunning forward, all From the Vault sets from Annihilation forward, Duel Decks and Planechase anthologies, Commander 2014 forward, and all promotional cards released since the M15 card frame change.

Which means that Stoneforge Mystic and Jitte are Frontier-legal by this definition.

Actually wait, Show and Tell and Sneak Attack and Emrakul and Griselbrand are legal then. Okay maybe this format needs a lot of bans.

This does sound like a lot of fun to screw around in, unlike actual Frontier which seems like garbage.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It would be like shocklands legacy except with older broken decks like oath, sneak and show, necro...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It would be like shocklands legacy except with older broken decks like oath, sneak and show, necro...

Except the shocklands haven't gotten a reprint in the last two years. Bring on the mayhem!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You also have force of will, so it's not like the format's going to be all combo all the time. It actually seems pretty interesting in general.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

It would also get played much less because by then it's mini-Legacy that depends on a lot of the hideously overpriced staples that Legacy already has

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ZeroCount posted:

It would also get played much less because by then it's mini-Legacy that depends on a lot of the hideously overpriced staples that Legacy already has

Jokes about Modern from 2011. Nice!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Star Man posted:

Except the shocklands haven't gotten a reprint in the last two years. Bring on the mayhem!

Oh gently caress you're right. So the mana base would be onslaught fetches finding o'duals and basics, with painlands and those lands from SoI along for the ride. Weird.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

Less than MSRP of a pack

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Star Man posted:

Technically, they were expeditions and do have the foil stamp.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

If Aether revolt has some kind of inventions gimmick going on, almost every rare will be < 5 bucks hopefully.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
From, apparently, a French community manager:

When ~ enters the battlefield, exile all artifacts that [your opponent?s?] control until ~ leaves the battlefield.

Apparently this uses the singular for opponent, but doesn't say "target" or "choose." So I'm not sure if it's all opponents or just one. Either way: seems not worth it, outside of EDH I guess.

Minority Deport fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's kind of funny that the card they choose to show off in french actually has a translation error.

I suspect this is the "narrow counter to a potential artifacts.dec" sideboard card, rather than something that's intended to see heavy play.

• Locked thread