Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

"Nina" posted:

but the game is just confusing

Fixes that for everything post chapter 8 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just got to Chapter 14. Pretty bold to recast Keanu Reeves as Noctis.

It was the correct choice.

Speaking of Ignis, does his element grenade not level up or is it a bug that it's pegged at level 1 for me?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Don't do the locked Costlemark dungeon. I was really enjoying my post game experience, even the 100 floor slog that is Steyliff Grove, but this is stupid. I don't really want to play this game anymore, or ever again really.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The headlights quest is the last of the Cindy Regalia upgrade quests right? Aside from the postgame one. The dungeon it's in is really annoying and a bit too high level for me right now so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything else.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 11, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Legs Benedict posted:

Don't do the locked Costlemark dungeon. I was really enjoying my post game experience, even the 100 floor slog that is Steyliff Grove, but this is stupid. I don't really want to play this game anymore, or ever again really.

That's actually my next stop after I finish this weird cross between La-Mulana's Hell Temple and IWBTG. 100 floor slog made me want to die though.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That's actually my next stop after I finish this weird cross between La-Mulana's Hell Temple and IWBTG. 100 floor slog made me want to die though.

Don't do it. It's not fun, it's not rewarding, it's extremely bad. Please take my advice

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Haha, glad I'm not the only person who was thinking of la mulana all throughout Pitioss. I really enjoyed it though, a giant hours long hard platforming dungeon felt like a good modern day inclusion for 'random-rear end bizarre thing we threw in a final fantasy game, why not'

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

The headlights quest is the last of the Cindy Regalia upgrade quests right? Aside from the postgame one. The dungeon it's in is really annoying and a bit too high level for me right now so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything else.

Correct. And the miniboss and boss of Crestholm are bastards for an even or below-level party yes

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Noctis tries the Trump style of politics.

(Minor spoilers for Chapter 9)
https://i.imgur.com/ZUY6mav.jpg

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So calling back to the "Final Fantasy for Fans and First-Timers" line when you start the game. I think is rather apt. Most of concepts seen in the game have been used in previous games which I thought was neat, intentional or not.

Prompto being of MT origin akin to Vivi from FF9 being a manufactured black mage.

In Chapter 14 where Ardyn "wins" and the World of Ruin is a thing like Kefka's in FF6. That blew my mind when I got to that point and seeing it be called World of Ruin again made me giggle with delight. On that note, Ardyn is like Kefka in using the Empire for his own gain and manipulating those around him. Arena Galviano Colosseum too if you want to stretch that out though not 1:1 of course.

The final attack on Ardyn in the Crystal similar to Cloud and Sephiroth's final battle in the Lifestream in FF7.

The hunts are pretty much like FF12's.

The Astrals having more or less the same importance in the world's lore like the Eidolons and Aeons in FF9 and FF10 respectively.

Drawing magic from points like FF8.

There's probably more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

no leave Ignis behind! gently caress!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

All the daemons in Chapter 14 (except for the weak undead soldier guys) are kicking my rear end. Should I go back and do more sidequests to get stronger?

Also, how do I even access Umbra?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

All the daemons in Chapter 14 (except for the weak undead soldier guys) are kicking my rear end. Should I go back and do more sidequests to get stronger?

Also, how do I even access Umbra?

There are dorms in the underground areas.

That area is pretty much designed with the idea that you can run past everything. The actual bosses are actually weaker than the daemons.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So far, there's only two points where I saw they pulled a blatant "oh poo poo, we ran out of time, but we still have to use these assets and plot beats". And that's finding a reason to infiltrate the second base. It was clearly not to "avenge Jared", the most important old dude ever. And the utterly bizarre power plant sequence.

Actually, now that I think about it, I have a feeling the Vesperpool was supposed to be something more than a place to find boat parts, but I give them a pass because that was a cool-rear end dungeon.

I haven't finished yet, so there might be more instances like this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MMD3 posted:

Has anybody found out how to dye your chocobo black yet?

You can't :(

RatHat posted:

Noctis tries the Trump style of politics.

(Minor spoilers for Chapter 9)
https://i.imgur.com/ZUY6mav.jpg

This owns.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

MMD3 posted:

Has anybody found out how to dye your chocobo black yet?

Hit it with a lightning spell.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's no real gold color for Chocobos either :(

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My next quest takes is departing from Cape Caem. Is it trivial to get back to the first continent or should I hang around and do the sidequests I wanna do for now?

Also my party's level 38, so I'm wondering if I should grind up some or not. The last boss fight would have crushed me if not for the guest party member.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Soul Glo posted:

My next quest takes is departing from Cape Caem. Is it trivial to get back to the first continent or should I hang around and do the sidequests I wanna do for now?

Also my party's level 38, so I'm wondering if I should grind up some or not. The last boss fight would have crushed me if not for the guest party member.

Yes you can go back whenever you want, don't worry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

It is incredibly easy to return to the previous areas, you gain the ability to do it from any inn.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thanks, I'm gonna do some hunts first anyway since buying up weapons from that dungeon shop depleted my Gil pretty hard.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Wow, that leviathan fight. This is how it feels to be an anime.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ImpAtom posted:

Except the game specifically says that the gods dying was having an impact on the environment and Gladio treated it like a significant issue, not a time out.

If you're talking about Shiva, it's not the fact that she died, it's her corpse still hanging around that wrecks the desert and turns it into a tundra. Apparently without the spirit to pilot it all that power just leaks out all over everywhere.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So I did a fight and Aranea showed up to help, and she was on fire.

Like I mean there was fire on her. She had the "on fire" status activated.

Christ, lady.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What's the point of these channels? Killed a boss but didn't find any loot!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Boy it's fun when the AI decides to stand there and do nothing in the Arena. Is the quality of the AI linked to level or something? Or is it just RNG?

Also lol at the max bet being 9999 but the top prize costing 3.6 million.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is it feasible to screw yourself stat-wise if you don't have the Increase X stat by number of levels/5 time number of level per level up? Because I cannot believe how easy it is to gain levels in this game. Every time I take a nap I gain at least one and a half levels.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

Boy it's fun when the AI decides to stand there and do nothing in the Arena. Is the quality of the AI linked to level or something? Or is it just RNG?

Also lol at the max bet being 9999 but the top prize costing 3.6 million.

yeah uh welcome to a modern final fantasy postgame

it's almost impossible to lose your entire stake because of how high the odds multipliers are but you can easily go ten rounds in a row without winning one because of dumb luck and unusual matchups (the combination of ai rng and the variety of matchup permutations mean that basically all bets are off in some of the 3 and 4 for alls)

i wanted the car color kit or whatever but quit when I lost from like 320k down to 260k

Calaveron posted:

Is it feasible to screw yourself stat-wise if you don't have the Increase X stat by number of levels/5 time number of level per level up? Because I cannot believe how easy it is to gain levels in this game. Every time I take a nap I gain at least one and a half levels.

I'm almost positive those are retroactive

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Those are retroactive.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
As a bonus, isn't the top prize from arena literally useless once you get the flying car in postgame?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

As a bonus, isn't the top prize from arena literally useless once you get the flying car in postgame?

To be fair it's pretty much useless even before that.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I mean, you can't get the supercharger until the last quest in the open world half of the game, after you already have every fast travel point

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair it's pretty much useless even before that.

Totally agree, the only reason you'd want it is that another prize replaces it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Ohhhh man the Impervious node is awesome once you get the timing down on getting hit :allears:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well this game clicks just well enough to reward the videogame progress dopamine feedback loop but goddamn are those AP costs dumb.

The funniest one to me is how both mutually exclusive versions, with one being better than the other, upgrades to magic are not only in different trees but cost the same amount and are at very shallow depth in said trees making the weaker one a flat out trap option you should never ever take until the very last thing in the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Nina posted:

Based on how they keep saying the Empire has killed them and Leviathan is seen destroying stuff again is it safe to assume you having the summons is not canon?

The way I interpret it is that being gods, they exist on more than one level of existence, and even if you kill their physical body, they're not actually dead per se, and you can either summon their power, or they will eventually just reincarnate themselves.

Also after thinking about it, this pantheon is giving me severe Greco-Roman vibes, being essentially assholes who gently caress people over because eh why not

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Finally beat the game and I kinda loved it despite how horrible some parts of it were (I'm looking at you, chapter 13). It really redeemed itself at the end for me.

I still can't really wrap my head around a couple of things though, and I saw it come up in the previous page, but what's the deal with The Six? The party makes a deal about how the death of the Astrals is ruining the world, and it seems like the Empire actually did kill Titan even though that scene didn't convey that at all? Noctis seems to have no trouble summoning them despite them being dead, too? It's pretty weird, but I feel like I'm missing something.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

CrashScreen posted:

I still can't really wrap my head around a couple of things though, and I saw it come up in the previous page, but what's the deal with The Six? The party makes a deal about how the death of the Astrals is ruining the world, and it seems like the Empire actually did kill Titan even though that scene didn't convey that at all? Noctis seems to have no trouble summoning them despite them being dead, too? It's pretty weird, but I feel like I'm missing something.

I think they didn't actually kill any of them, you just absorbed them so their "shells" just fell lifeless. The empire saw a big corpse and assumed dead but nope they were inside of you all along~

RatHat posted:

It just seems like janky AI. Honestly the arena is boring as all hell and feels completely arbitrary and tacked on.

Also Altissia might be the worst city I've ever tried to navigate in a game. I'm kind of glad there's no reason to do anything there because 20 hours of having to take bullshit little boats all over the place and sometimes multiple ones would make me quit this game forever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So what does the Carbuncle summon actually do? Just heal you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm doing one of the base infiltrations and it says to follow this guy. So I do and Ignis is all "don't fall too far behind" so I go to keep up and the guy immediately turns around and yells "WHO GOES THERE". I try again, this time waiting longer, he still does it. Now I'm annoyed so I decide to test it. Even if the guy isn't on the screen, if the event hasn't triggered and you pass a certain point, he will yell "WHO GOES THERE" and the mission fails. Even the camera which zooms to him just shows a wall because he can't physically see me, but he knows. He just knows.

• Locked thread