Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Sometimes coaches are good at lower levels of competition and bad at higher levels of competition. Look at Nick Saban's NFL coaching career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scionix posted:

lol @ the florida fans panicking that the guy that had a losing record at Texas with a historically bad big 12 is going to run them out of Florida

watch out he might re-hire shawn watson and gain seventy yards against you in a bowl game

He kicked our goddamn teeth out in the Sugar Bowl, he can coach fine. Perhaps Texas was the problem? Nahhhhhhh

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

LeeMajors posted:

Something like that. UF may end up with better classes overall due to facilities and 'SEC,' but Strong/Butch are objectively better recruiters than Mac.

One guy isn't a problem but if 3-4 lower tier school coaches are good recruiters that can steal 1 guy per cycle, and then Bama and whoever else are taking the elite guys in the top 10, it starts to become messy like the situation in Texas.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Lasagna Pilot posted:

One guy isn't a problem but if 3-4 lower tier school coaches are good recruiters that can steal 1 guy per cycle, and then Bama and whoever else are taking the elite guys in the top 10, it starts to become messy like the situation in Texas.

I'd have been more worried about Strong or Kiffin at Miami than I am Richt--but he is still an objectively better recruiter than Mac.

Kiffin flashing rings and banging coeds in Coral Gables while walling off Dade is going to be scary when Richt retires.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No sir, I don't want Lane at Miami. Unlike some other teams in Florida, FSU plays them every year, and we don't need them getting good again.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Walling off The State Of Miami is a little different now than it was back in a time where having a car phone was a sign of unimaginable riches.

Lane Kiffin isn't the dude that can swing that

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 11, 2016

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Walling off The State Of Miami is a little different now than it was back in a time where having a car phone was a sign of unimaginable riches.

Schnelly did it with a tweed jacket and a fuckin pipe.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

pillsburysoldier posted:

Yes, but the state of Miami doesn't refer to just Miami or even Dade. Also, is there any person out there that screams "I go to Fort Lauderdale to party" more than Lane Kiffin.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

C. Everett Koop posted:

So if I've got this right:

1: Jimbo
2: Richt
3: Strong
4: Butch
5: Mac
6: TBA pending incoming Lane Train

For the hell of it I went to see where the Florida schools' 2017 classes rank on Rivals

10. The U
18. FSU
24. UF
42. UCF
65. USF
88. FIU
91. FAU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

MourningView posted:

Urbz has as many national titles as Florida State does

Urbz reading this post.

I want to say this is from Meyer finding out Kiffin left for USC. Urbz is the best because he is a human with emotions and not a dead inside football robot like Saban.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 11, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lane Kiffin, known for his head coaching success

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Multiple time national championship winning coach: fatally flawed

Arguable worst coach in Texas history: actually very good

LeeMajors posted:

Recruiting back then was way different and it was easier to find super talented guys who weren't widely known outside of the state/area. Now loving everyone at least has a hudl page or whatever and there are multiple places obsessively following recruiting

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sab0921 posted:

I want to say this is from Meyer finding out Kiffin left for USC. Urbz is the best because he is a human with emotions and not a dead inside football robot like Saban.

God I loved this. And yes, that's exactly what it's from.

MourningView posted:

Multiple time national championship winning coach: fatally flawed

Arguable worst coach in Texas history: actually very good

Recruiting back then was way different and it was easier to find super talented guys who weren't widely known outside of the state/area. Now loving everyone at least has a hudl page or whatever and there are multiple places obsessively following recruiting

Strong is a great recruiter and did extremely well at Louisville. He will do well at USF, i'd wager.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're referring to me with the first part, but I don't think he's fatally flawed, but there were holes in his recruiting game at UF that are fair to discuss.

He's younger than Saban and if he keeps up his recruiting momentum and success long after Saban retires he may yet have a better legacy. Dude is fantastic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That urban gif is so great

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Strong had an incredible QB fall into his lap at Louisville because Miami was a mess, and it was the dying days of the Big East. He's fine for USF but the continued insistence that his failure at Texas was all or mostly Texas' fault is dumb. That's one of the easiest places in the country to coach and mean boosters didn't make him lose to Kansas or miss a bowl in the easiest Big XII in like a decade.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yeah recruiting isnt some regional thing anymore. Literally any HS kid trucking a bunch of people ends up on YouTube and is being seen by some coach 5 states away in 2 hours. Granted there were other factors that Schnellenberger capitalised on to build Miami but expecting some guy to just lock down a recruiting area any longer is not gonna happen.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol at the notion Texas is one of the easiest places the coach. I realize that as a fan of a team with bottom tier expectations from a coach that has been there since the Vietnam War you might not understand the pressure to succeed at a place like Texas.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
it is the biggest and most popular school in the state with arguably the most talent in the entire country, has more money than anyone else and has top of the line everything when it comes facilities. They should not be missing bowls and losing to loving Kansas. He didn't even do well enough there to have kept his job at my school with bottom tier expectations. Ferentz took over a way less talented team and had us back in a bowl in year 3 and in the top 10 in year four. All Strong had to do to keep his job was probably win like 8 games and the conference could not have possibly been set up better to do that. Instead he won 5

It's not easy in the sense that some of their fans expect a national title every year but he wasn't only falling short of that level. He was falling short of the expectation level at, like, Iowa State

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 12, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

Strong had an incredible QB fall into his lap at Louisville because Miami was a mess, and it was the dying days of the Big East. He's fine for USF but the continued insistence that his failure at Texas was all or mostly Texas' fault is dumb. That's one of the easiest places in the country to coach and mean boosters didn't make him lose to Kansas or miss a bowl in the easiest Big XII in like a decade.

His level is better than USF though. Dude should be at a mid level SEC or ACC school.

It could just be he can coach conventional defenses fine but can't defend the spread for poo poo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Pakled posted:

He didn't do well at Texas but he did really well at Louisville. I don't think Strong's a bad football coach, just perhaps Texas wasn't a good fit for him.

DIdnt he lose to Kansas and get shut out by Iowa State twice? Sure he was good at Louisville but he also a great QB during his best years. He could do well at USF and is set up to do so but it's not like he will outrecruit any of the top 3 Fl schools. Also, the American has probably been a harder conference than the Big 12 for the past two years. He isn't a bad coach but I don't think he is good enough to roll through the American every year.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 12, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

His level is better than USF though. Dude should be at a mid level SEC or ACC school.

It could just be he can coach conventional defenses fine but can't defend the spread for poo poo.

If he can't win 6 games at Texas I am not sure why you think he'd be more likely to do it at, like, NC State where that is significantly harder to do. This is like when you thought Purdue should hire Hoke

USF seems like a good place for him. He's recruited the area, it's a conference he's had success in (albeit when it wasn't as good as it's been lately) and he can build a big talent advantage there. I wouldn't give him a major job after Texas unless he kills it at USF for a long time, especially if it's a school where he won't be able to outrecruit his level of competition

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 12, 2016

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

Perhaps Texas was the problem?

Maybe. Maybe it was a bad fit for him.

The rest of the BigXII Kansas was definitely the problem, too. I would say he lacked a stellar QB like he had at Louisville, but his defense was also giving up big points to Cal, so I don't know that a good QB would've fixed things.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
thank goodness USF doesn't have to play regional powerhouses Iowa State and Kansas every year, as some coaches just do better at lower levels of competition. Also every time I hear "big 12 offenses just can't be defended" I want to choke someone. Weird how all the Texas athletes that end up at LSU, Florida, and Alabama magically learn how to loving play defense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Charlie Strong sucked at Texas and that's pretty squarely on him. He could end up being good at USF because sometimes things just work out that way, but he was garbage at Texas.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Two true statements:

1) Charlie Strong was very successful at Louisville (without Bridgewater, the amount of talent that he developed and put into the NFL is incredible)

2) Charlie Strong was very bad at Texas

Who knows what the actual reasons were for his regression as a coach, but Big East Louisville is comparable to USF now, so it makes sense that they give him a shot. I hope he is very successful there and I will be rooting for the Bulls.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Does anyone want bronco cause please take him

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

very disappointed that texas no longer has coaches named Smart and Strong, which is also the name of an 80s buddy cop movie that I've just written in my head

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ungratek posted:

this seems a little premature

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

It's weird how people are really really bending over backwards to defend strong. Those Texas teams were utter garbage.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LeeMajors posted:

Everyone knows that Schnelly is a loving man and Lane is a bitchmade coach who is less than half of his own father.

vyst posted:

Lol at the notion Texas is one of the easiest places the coach. I realize that as a fan of a team with bottom tier expectations from a coach that has been there since the Vietnam War you might not understand the pressure to succeed at a place like Texas.

Maybe not easiest to coach but if you cant pull out 9+ wins a year with those facilities / the built in recruitment additive of a historical program and being in the dead center of one of the best recruiting areas in the CFB world....

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Ungratek posted:

Can he be our DC?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
We really like Charlie Strong, ok? Not enough to want him to continue being our head coach in spite of indefensible results, but enough to regret that things turned out like this and hope things go well for him.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

How dare you be sensible

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Charlie Strong raped my mother and killed my father, but drat do I respect him. Real good guy.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

MourningView posted:

this seems a little premature

Probably but believing in UVA has been a fools errand for like a decade

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
gently caress charlie strong and his dumpster rear end coaching he can go and be nice with his loving 25 million dollars he fleeced from us for 3 years of garbage. suck my dick fuckmans

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ungratek posted:

Probably but believing in UVA has been a fools errand for like a decade

I mean yeah but they seemed a little better this year the couple times I watched. It was a pretty weird hire though

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

If he can't win 6 games at Texas I am not sure why you think he'd be more likely to do it at, like, NC State where that is significantly harder to do. This is like when you thought Purdue should hire Hoke

USF seems like a good place for him. He's recruited the area, it's a conference he's had success in (albeit when it wasn't as good as it's been lately) and he can build a big talent advantage there. I wouldn't give him a major job after Texas unless he kills it at USF for a long time, especially if it's a school where he won't be able to outrecruit his level of competition

He made Louisville competitive right away when their last coach, Kragthorpe, was dogshit. And he was holy poo poo good at Louisville, it wasn't all Bridgewater. Look at the players they developed on defense.

Based on Hoke's track record pre-Michigan he would have been a good hire! Purdue only started spending money this year, considering they were coming off the crappy hires of Danny Hope and Darrell Hazell, Hoke would be a noted upgrade on both.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Kansas beat Texas because they have a problem with interracial marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

Based on Hoke's track record pre-Michigan he would have been a good hire! Purdue only started spending money this year, considering they were coming off the crappy hires of Danny Hope and Darrell Hazell, Hoke would be a noted upgrade on both.

Hmm yes he was terrible at one of the easiest places in the conference to win, but he'd definitely be very good at one of the hardest.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 12, 2016

• Locked thread