Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola

Pro Target posted:

ds2 is a game people literally cant form their own opininops about and they listen to TheAntiSJWGamer on youtube say 'it has linear levels' or 'the gameplay doesnt feel right' (feels just like demon souls forthe record) and other things that are present in dark souls 1, 3, des, etc. and they decide they dont like the game

no I completed it twice and didn't enjoy it because of reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urodov

Pro Target posted:

ds2 represents a committment to an aesthetic that even miyazaki couldnmt make, but the principled creators behind kings field 4 could (they also made 'dark souls 2') and it frightens people who want their so-called bleak games to not be THAT bleak

what do you mean by this

Pro Target

The world of dark souls 2 is constructed to evoke a sort of desolation. long winding paths to nowhere that terminate abruptly, a feeling of 'moving' a long ways (look at the cloth map vs the ingame world), a sort of meaningless sprawl outward from majula vs, say, das1 where you can sprint back to firelink from basically anywhere in the world save anor londo within like 5 minutes. The best way to play the game is getting the no-resting-at-bonfires achievement because it forces you to engage wit hthe world in that way, the fast travel was added as a concession to the Casual Fans of dark souls 1

Pro Target

Dark souls 1 affects the aesthetic of a desolate sprawling world but it doesnt follow through in translating that int othe game mechanics and level design in the way that the kings field games did, and dark souls 2 also does

Scaly Haylie

Here's my thesis: Dark Souls 2 is fine.

Moola

Lizard Wizard posted:

Here's my thesis: Dark Souls 2 is fine.

yeah it's fine

Piso Mojado

video games are serious business

Moola

Piso Mojado posted:

video games are serious business

what the hell is a video games?

Urodov

Pro Target posted:

The world of dark souls 2 is constructed to evoke a sort of desolation. long winding paths to nowhere that terminate abruptly, a feeling of 'moving' a long ways (look at the cloth map vs the ingame world), a sort of meaningless sprawl outward from majula vs, say, das1 where you can sprint back to firelink from basically anywhere in the world save anor londo within like 5 minutes. The best way to play the game is getting the no-resting-at-bonfires achievement because it forces you to engage wit hthe world in that way, the fast travel was added as a concession to the Casual Fans of dark souls 1

Pro Target posted:

Dark souls 1 affects the aesthetic of a desolate sprawling world but it doesnt follow through in translating that int othe game mechanics and level design in the way that the kings field games did, and dark souls 2 also does

ds 2 without the warping... that might serve the desolation you're talking about, but in the end, requiring such extensive retraversal would just be lovely game design. it's artifical and lame, sacrificing too much in the name of aesthetic, this hypothetical version of ds2.

i rather thought that the warping was what enabled them to have that kind of strung-out level design at all, and why they chose to tie leveling up to the herald and such.

Pro Target

'lovely game design' is what raph koster rear end 2008 bioshock loving fuckfaces said about dark souls and demon souls originally anyways

Pro Target

in the game design world as it existed when dark souls came out, it was considered 'bad' game design to have the player lose significant progress on death, to force them to navigate without a map, to have trial-and-error gameplay and long-response-time animations so youll forgive me if im a bit skeptical of so-caleld 'good design'

Moola
dark souls 2, more like dark souls poo

:evilbuddy:

Pro Target

and the reason you level up at the herald is because thats what demon souls did and the game is just copies demon souls level,-based design to an open-world format

Pro Target

The blizzard area in the ivory king dlc is the ultimate commitment to an aesthetic and I respect it more than anything else fromsoft has ever created except for shadow tower (which is that but an entire game)

Scaly Haylie

i'm the kind of guy who was delighted to see the pursuer again and again in ds2.

Moola
I have strong opinions on vid games

Urodov

hmm... i suppose it could be done well.... perhaps if it was different on the way back than on the way there or something

Pro Target

Moola posted:

I have strong opinions on vid games

youknow being unwilling to think about things isnt a positive trait right

Moola
I think you need to chill buddy

we all love games here

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete
id ont

Moola
what the h*ck?!?!

Historical Wizards

Munchables posted:

I think the first game I ever 100% completed was 1080° Avalanche for the gamecube, and the second (and possibly only other one) was Open Season for the Gameboy SP.

What were the first games you dudes 100 percented, or your favorite to 100, or just some fun games to 100?

I played through an entire game of Europa Universalis 3, does that count?

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

Historical Wizards

I don't think I've ever actually 100% cleared a game :(

Senior Management

Dark Souls II is still good and the DLC helps a lot. But seriously though the level design is the worst of of the souls games. It is much more linear and the world maps makes less logical and spatial sense in terms of flowing together in a believable spatial way. Still a good game.

:jerry:

Moola
Bloodborne is real good

Pro Target

Vynar posted:

Dark Souls II is still good and the DLC helps a lot. But seriously though the level design is the worst of of the souls games. It is much more linear and the world maps makes less logical and spatial sense in terms of flowing together in a believable spatial way. Still a good game.

why is it more 'believable' that there would be a Demon Hell Zone underneath a swamp underneath a castle? or a forest on top of the valley of drakes, or a sprawling catacomb city also next to the demon hell zone. the exact thing people cite that they like about dark souls level design is how curled in on itself it is, but its certaily not a believable place architectuarlly or geographically.

Pro Target

It feels like a castlevania map, not an actual space

Pro Target

bloodborne is the best one both aesthetically and gameplay wise, the geography fits the aesthetic so much better than any of the souls games and theres a revelatory character to your exploration of the game that mirrors the development of the plot. the DLC is even more impressive because the geography maps directly to the passage of time (well, backwards) in a way that doesnt feel cheesy or hacknyed or just bizarre (liek in world of warcrap)

Moola
Titanfall 2 is real god drat good

shootin them robits with my big robit!

Plebian Parasite

Munchables posted:

I think the first game I ever 100% completed was 1080° Avalanche for the gamecube, and the second (and possibly only other one) was Open Season for the Gameboy SP.

What were the first games you dudes 100 percented, or your favorite to 100, or just some fun games to 100?

Banjo Kazooie is baby's first 100%, and it was my first 100% as a baby.

I also got real close on Yoshi's Island but that mother is a beast.

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete

Munchables posted:

My dad and I got 100% in A Link to the Past when I was 2. First game I got 100% in on my own was probably Mega Man X2.

Scaly Haylie

I recently downloaded Tap My Katamari for my phone. It's a decent idler game, and having an app that plays Lonely Rolling Star has significantly improved my life.

Shaquin
Tyranny is real good if you can stomach being a hardass

Scaly Haylie

average byob poster: *clicks on mean dialog option, faints*

MrWillsauce

dark soul;s poo is right!

Moola

Lizard Wizard posted:

average byob poster: *clicks on mean dialog option, faints*

Historical Wizards

Byob what is your dream game, or a game you wished existed?

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm really bad at ffxv combat, I just can't keep track of anything. fun tho

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Historical Wizards posted:

Byob what is your dream game, or a game you wished existed?

devil may cry 5, directed by hideki kamiya

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro Target

a first eprson dungeon crawler written and directed by shigesato itoi