Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's exactly where I am. I love when Jem'hadar at the end of the gauntlet is all "I cannot defeat him, only kill him" when fighting Worf. Also, using the uniform change to show a time frame for when Bashir was replaced purely visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Powered Descent posted:

Hey, it worked last time...

Looking at them, Quark and Neelix both have weird/ugly textures and patterns, but Quark's outfits all have a nice cut that make him look good, despite the crazy patterns- he's almost always got high-waist one-color trousers, a shirt that matches his coat, a big collar like a suit-coat, and usually a long tail in the back or at least some kind of taper from the shoulders to the waist, which makes the clothes look like someone actually tailored them to help make Quark look good. So the cut of the clothes works. The patterns are unusual, but the colors are well coordinated. All of those outfits have one or two main colors and then the others are balanced around them. These outfits are unusual, but they all look like things people would actually wear. Flashy, showy people, like Las Vegas performers, maybe, but that fits Quark.

As for Neelix...

What is this weird vest thing he's wearing? Why does the part where it zips/buttons have these giant tabs? This doesn't look like anything anyone would wear unless forced to. And then the colors are medium reddish brown and light brown, with a bunch of random washed out shapes on the vest/pants. These colors don't pop the way Quark's do, and the outfit ends up being a muddy lump. It's not flattering and it doesn't tell us anything about the character, except that he's really boring.

Same cut, different colors, still a giant lump of mud. The undergarment would be better if it had less going on, but it's got some crazy pattern on it, and since you see so little of it, it just turns into a haze around his neck and hands. I don't know who picked the pattern for the outer garment but I hope they're color blind.

Different cut, still weird. What are those rib things thrown randomly around his jacket? They don't compliment his shape, they don't serve any purpose on the coat, they're just there! And then the pattern is...better than the others, but still just a little too uncoordinated to pull off space-plaid.

And then there's this monstrosity of a chef's uniform. I can only guess that this is a result of whatever the hell was going on in the 90s.

So basically, they both use unsual fabrics, but Quark has well coordinated colors and clothes cut to fit his body, Neelix has terrible colors and patterns and his clothes make absolutely no sense.

Part of the problem, I think, is that Neelix's species has yellow on the sides of their heads, so between that, the spots, and the high receding hair, they look like they've got some terrible form of jaundice, and I think that just makes it that much harder to find patterns and colors that work with him. Quark was just brown and bald in a wobbly way, so that's not too hard.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually like it when in scify fashion is awful or strange or weird, specially if it's aliens. I'm sure if an alien saw how humans dress they'd think it was crazy and insane and made absolutely no sense stylistically. poo poo humans wore just a generation ago can look hilarious and "what the gently caress were they thinking?!" to us right now, 300+ years in the future aliens, go nuts guys. I'm sure to his awful terrible species nelix's outfits make sense and follow their rules of style and colour, which just goes to drive home the fact that so many races in the Delta Quadrant really needed to be wiped out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That apron and hat are definitely 90s as gently caress.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Looking at them, Quark and Neelix both have weird/ugly textures and patterns, but Quark's outfits all have a nice cut that make him look good, despite the crazy patterns- he's almost always got high-waist one-color trousers, a shirt that matches his coat, a big collar like a suit-coat, and usually a long tail in the back or at least some kind of taper from the shoulders to the waist, which makes the clothes look like someone actually tailored them to help make Quark look good. So the cut of the clothes works. The patterns are unusual, but the colors are well coordinated. All of those outfits have one or two main colors and then the others are balanced around them. These outfits are unusual, but they all look like things people would actually wear. Flashy, showy people, like Las Vegas performers, maybe, but that fits Quark.

You would probably love Fashion It So, a blog where they critique the outfits in TNG episodes. At least I find it entertaining, and I don't even know a drat thing about fashion.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
So Star Trek lets a lot of its actors take turns directing.

RICK BERMAN posted:

Jonathan started this ball rolling, and all of sudden other people started making the request. My feeling was that this was a gift and not something that, as far as actors are concerned, that I owed them. There were some actors during the course of the four series who were not necessarily perfectly behaved in terms of being prepared, being on time, not giving grief to various people that they were working with on the set. I had no interest in giving those people the gift of a directing assignment, but there were others like Gates [McFadden], LeVar [Burton], and Michael Dorn who did direct.

On Deep Space Nine, a lot of people wanted to direct. And it kept going. Sometimes it was very hard because one of our finest actors, and I’m not going to say who, did a very mediocre job at directing and, in fact, there was more than one. There were maybe two or three actors over the course of the shows who didn’t do a great job of directing, and I had no interest in giving them a second assignment. Which was very hard, because these were people I was working with and dealing with on a daily basis.

I'm assuming at least he's including Garrett Wang as one of the lazy actors he wouldn't let direct, but who are the actors who did a poo poo job at it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I actually like it when in scify fashion is awful or strange or weird, specially if it's aliens. I'm sure if an alien saw how humans dress they'd think it was crazy and insane and made absolutely no sense stylistically. poo poo humans wore just a generation ago can look hilarious and "what the gently caress were they thinking?!" to us right now, 300+ years in the future aliens, go nuts guys. I'm sure to his awful terrible species nelix's outfits make sense and follow their rules of style and colour, which just goes to drive home the fact that so many races in the Delta Quadrant really needed to be wiped out.

I want a race that is scandalised that humans show their elbows.

And has dramatic elbow coverings with big drapes. It's not religious, they just have an elbow taboo.

They have no idea why Starfleet makes them wear pants, though, but whatevs.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 12, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MorgaineDax posted:

I'm assuming at least he's including Garrett Wang as one of the lazy actors he wouldn't let direct, but who are the actors who did a poo poo job at it?

Tim Russ directed precisely one episode, as did McFadden. Siddig and Picardo did two each.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

MorgaineDax posted:

So Star Trek lets a lot of its actors take turns directing.

Well, Tim Russ and Gates McFadden are the actors credited with directing only a single episode. Andrew Robinson did one episode of DS9, but he also got two episodes of Voyager.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What's the general opinion on Frakes as a director?

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

ya but it's really not "weird alien clothing" in Neelix's case, it's just ugly human clothing given to an alien. There is nothing "strange" about it, it just looks horrible and doesn't convey anything about its wearer (except maybe that Neelix was on drugs a lot of the time).
A better example of clothing that might be weird but still works is what the Romulans wear in modern Trek. It has a very distinct but unsual style (it gives off a pompous and authoritarian vibe that certainly fits the Romulans).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

WickedHate posted:

He's okay when the material is good.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

WickedHate posted:

From what I understand "Two takes" Frakes is reliable and workmanlike.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

WickedHate posted:

It wouldn't have mattered. A big trait of the changelings are that they're super paranoid and prone to "preemptive defense" because they think that anyone who isn't genetically engineered to be their worshipful slaves will try to attack them eventually. As long as the wormhole existed and was functional, the Dominion would have been a problem the Federation couldn't just avoid.

There was also the thing where the changelings like Odo and Laas were sent to scout out the rest of the galaxy for eventual take-over. All the wormhole did was speed up the Dominion's time-table when it came to the Alpha Quadrant.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

8one6 posted:

Which when you have to crank out 26 episodes a season counts for a lot.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

MorgaineDax posted:

Worf was, but it sounds like the showrunners came up with the Defiant and had to get it approved.

*In the Red Letter Media voice* Riiiiick Bermannnnnnnnn

Man, gently caress that guy. He's like a DM that's too married to the sourcebook's rules to let his players have fun. A lot of Trek people (not a lot of people here, but elsewhere) give him free passes for so much bullshit because they give him credit for keeping Trek alive. But I think a lot of people could have done it better, and in a lot of cases Trek survived inexplicably despite him (TNG films, VOY), or survived because he didn't get involved as much (DS9).

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm at the part in Star Trek 50: The Last 25 where they discuss the theme song to Enterprise.

Two things:

1. This to me is the perfect example of Rick Berman not really understanding why Star Trek was popular. He just thought he wanted a theme song? With a montage? That would be an improvement? It seems like apart from backing writers sometimes, Berman really is a complete loving idiot.

2. In college, this song came up on a YTMND that hit the top of the charts one day in 2007, less than a year after Steve Irwin's death. I will forever associate Star Trek Enterprise with a drawing of a stingray blowing Steve Irwin as his sinks into the ocean. You can find the picture on his Encyclopedia Dramatica page if you're so inclined.

Thanks for reading

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

Mmm. As I understand he's competent, reliable, makes for a happy set and cast, will give you a decent enough result, but won't be elevating any material through sheer direction.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Platonicsolid posted:

Which when you have to crank out 26 episodes a season counts for a lot.

MikeJF posted:

Mmm. As I understand he's competent, reliable, makes for a happy set and cast, will give you a decent enough result, but won't be elevating any material through his direction.

I didn't say it was a bad thing, but he won't exactly be winning any Oscars any time soon.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Powered Descent posted:

The wormhole only led somewhat near Dominion space. Sisko and company only ran across the Dominion after exploring the Gamma Quadrant for, what, a couple of years?
The Ferengi actually have somewhat extended trade agreements with a race that has to be hassled into telling them where to go to talk to "The Dominion." I get the feeling the Dominion was kind of a superstructure on societies which were shaped for Founder Anxiety Control, but were not closely integrated the way that the Federation member planets would be. (Presumably they all got taxed in some form to pay for giant Jem'Hadar anti-Alpha Quadrant fleets.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I figured the Dominion was fairly hands off for most planets it controlled. They probably have to follow certain rules about trade and military (only trade with other Dominion members, cannot have any standing military outside of police forces and maybe planetary defense), plus some sort of Tithe of materials and industry to produce ships and weapons the Founders needed to keep control. As Nessus said, a Superstructure.

I also though the many words for rain of Ferenginar reminded me of growing up on the east coast, we have a lot of words for rain too; misting, spitting, dropping...etc.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, the Dominion doesn't give a gently caress about governing, just neutralizing any potential threats.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Iggy Pop can't act for poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think the Founders come out and say that the Dominion is entirely a ploy to exploit and marginalize solids, not govern per se.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

He's the TNG equivalent of Nimoy: Got everything done but brought very little vision, never did anything interesting with his camera, everyone loved him.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

VanSandman posted:

No, he just needs to be given the correct material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBH4Hv39SEo

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

Well, Tim Russ and Gates McFadden are the actors credited with directing only a single episode. Andrew Robinson did one episode of DS9, but he also got two episodes of Voyager.

He mentioned DS9 specifically, so my money is on Siddig. He directed two episodes, but the second one is loving Profit and Lace, which he did a baffling job on (including that weird animated transition where the nagus blows beetle snuff at the camera) and hasn't directed anything since.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
To be fair the script didn't give him much to work with. That episode was :psyduck: all around.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Duckbag posted:

(including that weird animated transition where the nagus blows beetle snuff at the camera)

I had to watch that multiple times to make sure it was real and I wasn't hallucinating.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 12, 2016

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

VanSandman posted:

As I recall, he had broken his arm the day before and was on an incredible amount of painkillers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fister Roboto posted:

I had to watch that multiple times to make sure it was real and I wasn't hallucinating.

I don't remember which episode that was. That sounds like a cheap 3d gimmick, so strange to think it would be an 90s tv show.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

VanSandman posted:

I actually think he's a perfect fit as a Vorta. Intentional or not, that calm smarminess fits real well. Having him and the other Vorta in the same episode makes for a nice contrast.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cat Machine posted:

I actually think he's a perfect fit as a Vorta. Intentional or not, that calm smarminess fits real well. Having him and the other Vorta in the same episode makes for a nice contrast.

I agree, I thought it was a good change of pace and made sense after being in captivity for so long. A Vorta can't not be smug, it's literally in their DNA, but eventually they'd drop the whole politico nobody's-that-gracious thing and settle into a weary sarcastic dismissal about everything.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I don't think iggy pop's acting was bad, I think that's just what that Vorta was like.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

VanSandman posted:

Couldn't agree less. The whole episode is about how frustrating and annoying the ferengi are. Iggy had been stuck with Ishka for an extended period of time with her banging on about finance and moisturiser, now these insignificant little trolls are loving him about non-stop. Vorta are bred to be diplomats, but this is a guy at the end of his rope. Its also nice to see other levels of ferengi society.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

http://www.startrek.com/article/qapla-discovery-introduces-the-klingons

We got some Klingons here!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In the future we have evolved beyond the need for legible fonts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
But what kind of foreheads will we see? Or will it be the return of "vague blackface with copious spiritgum beards"?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Baronjutter posted:

the fact that so many races in the Delta Quadrant really needed to be wiped out.

Make The Galaxy Great Again

it's a joke; alt-right pricks go gently caress yourselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MorgaineDax posted:

Worf was, but it sounds like the showrunners came up with the Defiant and had to get it approved.
Just got to this part in the book.

I'd read some interviews a while back that said Paramount was originally very reluctant to do a show with a stationary setting and wanted another "ship show". Didn't see anything about that in the book though.