Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Kansas beat Texas because they have a problem with interracial marriage.

I can't figure out if this dumb joke is about Texas or Kansas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The skills for winning at those schools are completely different. PJ Fleck has insane recruiting advantages over any team he plays in the MAC. Schiano and Golden were great rebuilders who had no business at better programs, etc... No one will touch Hoke now, but it would have been a totally justifiable move.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Kim Jong Il posted:

The skills for winning at those schools are completely different. PJ Fleck has insane recruiting advantages over any team he plays in the MAC. Schiano and Golden were great rebuilders who had no business at better programs, etc... No one will touch Hoke now, but it would have been a totally justifiable move.

I literally get all of my college football information from lurking SA threads and I still know this post is dumber than a Brady Hoke-coached Shane Morris

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

Hoke won at places where he could recruit circles around his competition, which is the exact opposite of who you want at somewhere like Purdue that is going to be near the bottom of its conference in recruiting regardless of coach. If he couldn't win with a talent advantage over most of his opponents at Michigan he sure as poo poo wasn't going to do it if he's badly outgunned in terms of talent. For that job you want someone who can either do a really good job scouting or developing 2-3* players into draft picks like Ferentz or someone who is going to be able to give them enough of an advantage in terms of scheme to mask the talent disparity, which is hopefully what they'll get in Brohm.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 12, 2016

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

MourningView posted:

I mean yeah but they seemed a little better this year the couple times I watched. It was a pretty weird hire though

We got dominated at home by Richmond

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Kim Jong Il posted:

He made Louisville competitive right away when their last coach, Kragthorpe, was dogshit. And he was holy poo poo good at Louisville, it wasn't all Bridgewater. Look at the players they developed on defense.

Based on Hoke's track record pre-Michigan he would have been a good hire! Purdue only started spending money this year, considering they were coming off the crappy hires of Danny Hope and Darrell Hazell, Hoke would be a noted upgrade on both.

Danny Hope was a great hire, if he had the financial support Hazell had, he'd still be the coach.

He took the players he had and put the best team he possibly could on the field, something a coach has to do to be successful at Purdue. The fact that they put zero dollars into facilities while having the lowest staff payroll in the Big Ten doomed the poor guy to failure.

I heard he took this year off due to health issues, does anyone know what was up?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
A bunch of people here seem to think that each coach is going to get X wins per season regardless of school. A 5-win coach at a 5-win school probably actually gets 0 wins.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Grittybeard posted:

I can't figure out if this dumb joke is about Texas or Kansas.

It's a dumb joke about Charlie Strong

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So here's a fun thought experiment. The FAU hiring decision is basically something of a cold war between Bama and Ohio State.

This is a lot of "sources say" and other such BS but it's kinda fun to think about.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/808338743966961665

Honestly didn't see this one happening. From Carl Pelini to Lane Kiffin in two moves!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kiffin being rumored as the favorite for Oregon, then Houston, then USF, and then finally taking the FAU job was fun

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

So now that there is a chance I can meet Joey Freshwater, I guess I'm going to more bars in my area.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Real Name Grover posted:

Honestly didn't see this one happening. From Carl Pelini to Lane Kiffin in two moves!

how reliable is this guy? seems wild

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Are you serious? It's being widely reported on Twitter

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

It was the closest Joey Freshwater could get to Miami to get that sweet Miami tail.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Real Name Grover posted:

Are you serious? It's being widely reported on Twitter

i hate twitter and rely on this thread and others to filter it down for consumption

and yeah Kiffin to FAU seems crazy

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Real Name Grover posted:

This is interesting because "Go to lower tier Florida job and build it up" is a lot harder if 3 other lower tier Florida jobs also have P5 tier guys trying to get back in the game.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Also, FYI

https://twitter.com/Sean_Callahan/status/808344123270905856

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All FBS Florida teams should have to play each other every year. :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chris Low is also saying Lane is expected to stay with Bama through the playoff run.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

I think McMurphy has broken a bunch of the coaching moves this year (which these days means he tweets it a few seconds before everyone else)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Boo, I was hoping for Ed Orgeron and Lane Kiffin to become college football's newest power duo.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

whiteyfats posted:

All FBS Florida teams should have to play each other every year. :colbert:

Make a conference of Florida teams. Winner gets the SEC East

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
If LSU lost out to FIU of all places for Lane Kiffen's services, then there was never, ever any chance he was going to end up there.

edit: Holy poo poo F*A*U??? There really was never any possibility at all, was there?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

A.o.D. posted:

If LSU lost out to FIU of all places for Lane Kiffen's services, then there was never, ever any chance he was going to end up there.

edit: Holy poo poo F*A*U??? There really was never any possibility at all, was there?

No, of course not. Why would he pick LSU over staying at Bama or a head coaching job?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

I think McMurphy has broken a bunch of the coaching moves this year (which these days means he tweets it a few seconds before everyone else)

I mean that's the best you can hope for, right? You actually get a big scoop and report that Lane Kiffin is dead, then every outlet immediately drops a headline like REPORT: KIFFIN OVERCOMES BILL SNYDER'S MASSIVE LEAD TO SCORE UPSET VICTORY

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Being the highest paid OC at Bama or LSU is better than being HC at FAU.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The 5 way recruiting battles between Scott Frost, Butch Davis, Jim McElwain, Charlie Strong and Lane Kiffin are going to rule

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

an adult beverage posted:

Kiffin wanted to be a head coach again. Having autonomy, even at place like FAU, is probably preferable to getting yelled at constantly by Nick Saban.

It's all still part of his rehab tour, since his work with Bama wasn't enough to get him serious consideration for the better jobs out there.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

pillsburysoldier posted:

The 5 way recruiting battles between Scott Frost, Butch Davis, Jim McElwain, Charlie Strong and Lane Kiffin are going to rule

You forgot Jimbo Fisher and Mark Richt.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/808362097503535105

Thermos H Christ posted:

No I didn't.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm sure he chose those coaches very carefully.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Then I'm not sure what you're saying. Florida has to recruit against USF but Miami doesn't?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

O, Canada?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

Rationally, yeah, but 95% of coaches or coordinators are egotistical as hell and they'd far rather have "head coach" on their business card, even if that comes with a pay cut.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Real Name Grover posted:

Yes! Perfect stepping stone back to Tennessee once Jones gets fired.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I'd prefer Canada to Lane anyway. Kiffin is a good OC, but even if he came to LSU he was gone as soon as a head coaching job opened up. Pitt's offense has been fun as hell this year.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Thermos H Christ posted:

Then I'm not sure what you're saying. Florida has to recruit against USF but Miami doesn't?

I'm saying Miami and FSU have really solid recruiting and staffs and aren't going to be threatened by the other actually-very-formidable recruiters at the other schools.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Thermos H Christ posted:

The joke is that McElwain sucks at recruiting and signs too many 3 stars, so he will be recruiting in the bargain bin against those lower tier schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scionix posted:

gently caress charlie strong and his dumpster rear end coaching he can go and be nice with his loving 25 million dollars he fleeced from us for 3 years of garbage. suck my dick fuckmans

Shouldn't you be wearing houndstooth and pretending Texas doesn't exist by now?

Lasagna Pilot posted:

The joke is that McElwain sucks at recruiting and signs too many 3 stars, so he will be recruiting in the bargain bin against those lower tier schools.

He's not wrong :smith:

• Locked thread