Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

1500quidporsche posted:

Here's my hot take: people older than me are bad and people younger than me are also bad.
When I was at school I hated most people in my class/age group. Why did you give them a pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Fo3 posted:

When I was at school I hated most people in my class/age group. Why did you give them a pass?

I actually do as well but I don't think a light comedy thread about F1 is the place to start explaining my radical opinions on politics, economics and different generations.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

This thread is bad

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I actually do as well but I don't think a light comedy thread about F1 is the place to start explaining my radical opinions on politics, economics and different generations.

I think you might be wrong.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

Not gonna fib, have watched the F1 on my phone.

It's a problem with advertising to the mainstream. In all fairness in the UK all the sky sports channels in fairly decent quality and pay as you go is £30 a month, which is good value for money, as you can have two devices/people using it at the same time and sharing the cost. How many people know about this or even want to watch the F1? I would argue that F1's main competition is the WWE with a dash of reality TV thrown in, and that in order to grow it must improve the broadcast quality and include more real life stories so people can get invested in it. I've said before that having a MTV reality show following a pit crew around would bring in a huge audience of young people, and as it's separate from the actual race show it can be easily avoided by adults.

Biggest issue with f1 for me is Crofty is an even more unlikeable heel Michael Cole, only we never get to see the pay off where people beat the poo poo out of him with a table. It's like there is no one regulating the Sky F1 broadcasts and the people who are supposed to don't actually listen to the god awful commentary. Sky own the rights, not the company who film the broadcasts, someone needs to step in and go "OK Brundle can stay in the crazy old man who sometimes comes out with good one liners role. Ted, you keep doing your thing where you explain nerd stuff so people can understand it. The rest of you talentless freeloaders can gently caress off."

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Crofty is a useless twat. He's got like a 50% hit rate on guessing which driver is which during the race and actively makes the commentary a hindrance to the entertainment. Ben Edwards on the other side is a loving dry lunch as well. We were spoiled in the days of are Murray.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I think you might be wrong.

This wouldn't be the first time.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

learnincurve posted:

Commentary: Brundle as colour commentator, Coulthard in the second seat. Plus bring in a third who is rotated (no actual reason there only needs to be two) Ant, Jenson, Bruno and Karun. May be other ex-drivers with personality who could be added, have them do an audition with Boring Mc Dougle and if they are better than him then give them a FP live test. You know, like actual professionals would do.
BBC 2011 had the best team. Brundle and DC on commentary, Jake presenting, EJ punditing and being EJ, Lee and Ted in the pits. Them were't days.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

If I had to pick now I'd largely pick the Channel 4 team. I've completely written off Brundle as a commentator, Crofty's primary skill seems to be screaming at the start and Karin does a better job in the pitlane than Ted does. You could replace Ben Edwards but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he stayed.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Theophany posted:

... He's got like a 50% hit rate on guessing which driver is which during the race...

Theophany posted:

We were spoiled in the days of are Murray.

1500quidporsche posted:

Crofty's primary skill seems to be screaming at the start
Does not compute.
Bless your Murray but he got it wrong at lot of the times after yelling a lot at the starts.
Part of the entertainment was his attempt at recovery and working it all out.
Crofty is OK. He makes mistakes and probably just isn't entertaining enough in comparison, but he's not your mum murray and no one will ever be.

Payndz posted:

BBC 2011 had the best team. Brundle and DC on commentary, Jake presenting, EJ punditing and being EJ, Lee and Ted in the pits. Them were't days.
I do not like Jake or EJ though.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 12, 2016

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Murray was bad especially towards the back half of the 90s but even as early as '90 I thought ESPN's team was doing a better job. To act like Crofty is acceptable is having a laugh, he's just bad.

EJ is a good lad though and I appreciate his insight.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wicka posted:

Millennials are bad, here's a pro wrestling reference.
And MTV. Is MTV still a thing? Do millennials even know what MTV is

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

This thread is bad

Gods bless the Worst Thread.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Button for commentary plz

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nah, let Brundle commentate more so we can have some more nerd rage over his commentary efforts.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Drunk Button for commentary plz

FTFY

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Brundle is eventually going to realize how bad he looks with his grid walks and whining to see that he should quit before everyone hates him.
Button would be awesome, and the guy that does the pit interviews for NBC(?) E: Buxton
Then just get an impartial commentator for the fast race calls (Crofty is OK, but feel free to find someone better with equal or more energy), and a couple more pit reporters with good connections/sweet talking abliity

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

simplefish posted:

Fernandroid, please.

:golfclap:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Fo3 posted:

Does not compute.
Bless your Murray but he got it wrong at lot of the times after yelling a lot at the starts.
Part of the entertainment was his attempt at recovery and working it all out.
Crofty is OK. He makes mistakes and probably just isn't entertaining enough in comparison, but he's not your mum murray and no one will ever be.

I do not like Jake or EJ though.

I can forgive his sins because he was supremely entertaining and worked so well with James Hunt's dry wit. Crofty's lame attempts at humour fall flat, he isn't particularly insightful and continues to flog the dead horse that is #askCrofty whereby you ask him questions which he answers with how good Lewis Hamilton is. I get the impression that most of the Sky F1 team tolerate him at best.

There has to be a better commentator out there, but two former drivers as commentators, whilst interesting, would be pretty dry for the non-nerd viewers.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Martin Brundle is motor racing's equivalent of like Phil Simms or Jamie Carragher. Inexplicably highly regarded by TV execs despite being truly awful at his job.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Give Jack Nicholls a TV commentating gig. He did a good job with Formula E and then the BBC radio F1 coverage.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Is Jon Legard even still alive?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Brundle's fallen into that trap that catches a lot of long-time commentators out, where instead of commentating on the entertainment, they believe they ARE the entertainment. Somehow it also happened to Ted Kravitz. It'll be partly due to how much they're paid, money as a measure of worth etc.

wicka posted:

Is Jon Legard even still alive?

He's back to reporting on football matches on the radio/Final Score, and I think occasionaly presenting BBC News' sport bulletin

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Murray was bad

Ok it's time to rise up and put an end to your terrible opinions.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

Ok it's time to rise up and put an end to your terrible opinions.

He was great in the 80s but by the late 90s there was like a 1 in 3 chance every race that he was going to confuse a Minardi crashing out with a championship contender.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Murray was always extremely biased towards the British drivers, if you didn't like Mansell or Hill, and we didn't in our house, he was unbearable at the time. If Murray were commentating on modern F1 he would have been yammering on about what Jollyon was up to every time Lewis was not on screen.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Murray was decent but it was really Hunt that made their duo great

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

He was great in the 80s but by the late 90s there was like a 1 in 3 chance every race that he was going to confuse a Minardi crashing out with a championship contender.

He was also doing this in the 1980s.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

learnincurve posted:

Murray was always extremely biased towards the British drivers, if you didn't like Mansell or Hill, and we didn't in our house, he was unbearable at the time. If Murray were commentating on modern F1 he would have been yammering on about what Jollyon was up to every time Lewis was not on screen.

I think this is mainly because it was well before the days of info saturation, keeping the British public informed on how the British drivers were doing kinda makes sense in that context. He was always one for giving out basic information anyway - from bits I remember and clips I've watched if the camera was focused on a car by itself he'd always make sure to point out the position, driver, manufacturer, engine supplier, and heck probably colour too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hot take: all announcers suck.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

HJB posted:

I think this is mainly because it was well before the days of info saturation, keeping the British public informed on how the British drivers were doing kinda makes sense in that context. He was always one for giving out basic information anyway - from bits I remember and clips I've watched if the camera was focused on a car by itself he'd always make sure to point out the position, driver, manufacturer, engine supplier, and heck probably colour too.

97 was peak Walker. Most brits who watched it at the time could tell you about Coulthard being in a McLaren, Herbert being on the podium in a Sauber, and Hill, Hill, Damon Hill, but not who actually won the championship.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Trigger warning: Max Verstappen is a good driver - http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/31381/10693681/max-verstappen-sets-new-record-for-overtaking-in-2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

hot take: all announcers suck.

Counterpoint: James Hunt

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

1500quidporsche posted:

If I had to pick now I'd largely pick the Channel 4 team. I've completely written off Brundle as a commentator, Crofty's primary skill seems to be screaming at the start and Karin does a better job in the pitlane than Ted does. You could replace Ben Edwards but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he stayed.

The problem with Brundle is that he seems to have crawled up his own arse. He used to be quite fun but now swans about like the king of broadcasting in the paddock.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

DRS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Counterpoint: James Hunt

He's an announcer, therefore bad :colbert:

Unrelated fun facts: there was a Milwaukee area sports news guy whose name was actually Mike Hunt. He moved out to Arizona, lost track of him there.

Then again, I love Bob Uecker, so whatever

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Brainwrong posted:

The problem with Brundle is that he seems to have crawled up his own arse. He used to be quite fun but now swans about like the king of broadcasting in the paddock.

I liked when Alonso owned Brundle.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

He's an announcer, therefore bad :colbert:

Unrelated fun facts: there was a Milwaukee area sports news guy whose name was actually Mike Hunt. He moved out to Arizona, lost track of him there.

Then again, I love Bob Uecker, so whatever

You hate British announcers

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Says the avatar of someone who tried overtaking by driving through the other driver.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

iospace posted:

Says the avatar of someone who tried overtaking by driving through the other driver.

That's how real men do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

You hate British announcers

Nah, I hate the CBS roster of announcers for football as well, and it always seems the Packers get Phil Simms for their games.

Also gently caress Dicky V.

• Locked thread