Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
4x5 315 romanian deads. so close to 5x5.

dead gym at 6PM on a saturday. hole in the wall gyms are the best. dead for deads. it's thematic.

thanks for listening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I minorly injured something doing those lateral raises. Sort of my upper right chest, around my collarbone has a tight muscle. It's hard to tell exactly because the pain is so minor, and usually only when I'm shifting around a certain way or breathing out all of a sudden. At least I know how light to start next time.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

nm just workin out u?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I think I injured everything all the time

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
im pretty sure i've never hurt...uh..my foot.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Soreness isnt a sign of injury, it is actually something you should be happy about.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

nm just workin out u?

wanna join that gym

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

bamhand posted:

But did you PR? You must be doing something really wrong or have super lovely wrists if you're screwing them up with OHP.

its probably both bc its an old injury mad at me again. technical pr maybe. I'll just put some tiger balm on it and Squat Every Day

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Zzulu posted:

Start working at a gym instead bro

I've never heard or seen anyone say anything good about a gym trainer/sales person online or in person... Theres one jacked black dude at mine and this shredded chick who is def on something that I would take advice from, the rest are lol.

jarbv posted:

what is a tornado and what are its macros?

i dont want to know

Fallows fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 11, 2016

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

nm just workin out u?

nice a cups my chest is bigger than that

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Is shoveling snow considered lifting or cardio

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Lifting for hypertrophy.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Snows a northern thing so ima say it's crossfit

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Santa Mountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvkVsyN7AtQ

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Fallows posted:

I've never heard or seen anyone say anything good about a gym trainer/sales person online or in person... Theres one jacked black dude at mine and this shredded chick who is def on something that I would take advice from, the rest are lol.

This has to be a universal constant. There are maybe 2 or 3 people I would actually take advice from at my gym while all the other people working there are constant cardio or straight up out of shape.

In other news, can anyone recommend a decent gym bag that looks nice bringing to (corporate) work and then to the gym? Was thinking a Herschel duffel, but everyone says the straps are poo poo, and I'd like to be able to throw my laptop and lunch in there, too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Briefcase.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Leg day in the gym. Knocked out some sumo squats 8x3 at 315 then did some barbell lunges, elevated close leg deads, leg curls and extentions. Trying to really kill my hamstrings. Hopefully I can stick to this morning cardio, clean up my diet and lose all this fat I put on this year. Namaste yall.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

E_P posted:

Leg day in the gym. Knocked out some sumo squats 8x3 at 315 then did some barbell lunges, elevated close leg deads, leg curls and extentions. Trying to really kill my hamstrings. Hopefully I can stick to this morning cardio, clean up my diet and lose all this fat I put on this year. Namaste yall.

Sounds awesome man. :ocelot:

I'm on week two of PPL and enjoying it. For the main compound lifts, I'm sticking to the 5/3/1 programme, plus accessory work. The first 5/3/1 cycle is a bit too easy, I'm lifting for 7 reps the 3+AMRAP set, but I have a feeling I'm going to catch up to my limit fairly quickly.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Can I do anything more for calves? For fucks sake I'm getting stronger and getting bigger everywhere else. I'm doing relatively low weight (~220ish on machine leg press calf raises for 35-burnout reps) at the end of every other workout while doing a 6 day iso routine right now. I have a lot of free time this month so I'm hitting 2-a-days most days, once in the AM and again evening.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

The guys i know who have nice calves and didn't start out overweight (this is cheating imho) focused on hitting calves from all three angles, this means you need to do each exercise with internal and external rotation at your ankle. If you only do it from a neutral position it probably won't grow.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
100kg x 5

Scared to do more

Dont have a twink to spot me

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

E_P posted:

The guys i know who have nice calves and didn't start out overweight (this is cheating imho) focused on hitting calves from all three angles, this means you need to do each exercise with internal and external rotation at your ankle. If you only do it from a neutral position it probably won't grow.

Yeah, I was a thin guy growing up even when I played sports. 135 @ 5'11. I'm 160 now and can still knock out 25-30 rep wide grip pullups so I've never really been overweight. What can I supplement with besides the high-rep leg press calve raises? I'm not sure how to target all three areas.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Pesmerga posted:

The first 5/3/1 cycle is a bit too easy, I'm lifting for 7 reps the 3+AMRAP set, but I have a feeling I'm going to catch up to my limit fairly quickly.

It's on purpose according to Wendler. Just completed my first cycle. DL was the easiest for me, did 11 reps on 3+ set and 8 on 1+.

Bench was on target, DL and press went up. Last squat workout was an absolute disaster, because for some reason I wanted to try a wider stance than my regular tried and tested, which caused an old back issue flare up again and I only managed 2 reps on the 1+ set. :negative:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

Can I do anything more for calves? For fucks sake I'm getting stronger and getting bigger everywhere else. I'm doing relatively low weight (~220ish on machine leg press calf raises for 35-burnout reps) at the end of every other workout while doing a 6 day iso routine right now. I have a lot of free time this month so I'm hitting 2-a-days most days, once in the AM and again evening.

If you're always breaking them down when are they going to have time to grow?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Calves follow the same rules for steady growth as every body part: work them a couple of times a week and gain a shitload of weight.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Metanaut posted:

It's on purpose according to Wendler. Just completed my first cycle. DL was the easiest for me, did 11 reps on 3+ set and 8 on 1+.

It's dumb as gently caress. If you're getting 11 reps on your work set you just did loving cardio, congrats.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah, I was a thin guy growing up even when I played sports. 135 @ 5'11. I'm 160 now and can still knock out 25-30 rep wide grip pullups so I've never really been overweight. What can I supplement with besides the high-rep leg press calve raises? I'm not sure how to target all three areas.
Why do you think high reps is the way to go versus high weight until failure like any other muscle. Why would the calves behave differently then your shoulders or your quads?

When I say external rotation and internal rotation of the ankle I mean just that. You should do a set with your feet pointed outside then forward then towards the inside.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

E_P posted:

Why do you think high reps is the way to go versus high weight until failure like any other muscle. Why would the calves behave differently then your shoulders or your quads?

When I say external rotation and internal rotation of the ankle I mean just that. You should do a set with your feet pointed outside then forward then towards the inside.

Not sure, my quads and shoulders are blowing up so I guess I''ll try 10-12 reps and go heavier this month. Ah, so just change my stance? Got ya. I just have a lot of free time this month so I'm putting in as much work as I can in the gym. I'm probably going to end up running a SARM this month just so I can recover faster because gently caress it.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
haven't checked in to the thread in a while

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

At least I know how light to start next time.

nothing changes

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

It's dumb as gently caress. If you're getting 11 reps on your work set you just did loving cardio, congrats.

i could be wrong, but isn't this like, complete broscience and as long you eat right and workout to failure you'll see growth?

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Tolkien minority posted:

i could be wrong, but isn't this like, complete broscience and as long you eat right and workout to failure you'll see growth?

As long as you're stressing yourself and eating right you're going to see growth no matter what you're doing. I think he's talking about what's the most bang for your buck. If you're lifting for physique and not just raw strength for SiCK DeADz is it still better to go in the 10-12 rep range rather than 5-6 or is that a myth? The reason I ask is because I'm getting way more chest definition from high rep DB press than I ever did from plain benching. It might just be because I can go down lower with the DB's than I could with a barbell.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Not sure, my quads and shoulders are blowing up so I guess I''ll try 10-12 reps and go heavier this month. Ah, so just change my stance? Got ya. I just have a lot of free time this month so I'm putting in as much work as I can in the gym. I'm probably going to end up running a SARM this month just so I can recover faster because gently caress it.
It's a marathon not a sprint.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Tolkien minority posted:

yes

11 reps isnt even that much and around that range (8-12) is good for hypertrophy

1-5 reps is mostly for strength

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Zzulu posted:

yes

11 reps isnt even that much and around that range (8-12) is good for hypertrophy

1-5 reps is mostly for strength

nah, variety is the spice of life

http://strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tolkien minority posted:

5/3/1 is a strength program, mass isn't the objective.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

Flow chart:

Am I lifting 60%+ of my 1rm?: Total number of reps per week generally reflect hypertrophy gains independent of rep range
Am I lifting less than 50% of my 1rm? Hitting failure you'll see growth probably, but I don't know why you'd intentionally do this unless you literally didn't have access to a gym.

There were a few well conducted studies where people did many sets of low reps, high weight vs people doing few sets, many reps of lighter weight and the hypertrophy gains were near identical. The differences were the low rep, high set group took loving forever to finish their work out, struggled more with recovery, and were less motivated to keep with the program. The higher rep, lower set group was pretty much the opposite and saw a bit less strength gain.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 12, 2016

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Metanaut posted:

I'm on my 3rd cycle and it definitely gets harder, that last work set is supposed to make you want to die. I came close to PR on a couple things last week but no cigar.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

sassassin posted:

lol

hells yeah

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
No pain or injuries today in my workout. Good stuff. I've been generally trying to eat healthier and drink less, but I'm thinking about giving macro counting a go. As it is I just eat a certain amount and try to get at the very least 130g of protein in every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

No pain or injuries today in my workout. Good stuff. I've been generally trying to eat healthier and drink less, but I'm thinking about giving macro counting a go. As it is I just eat a certain amount and try to get at the very least 130g of protein in every day.

as someone that's struggled with alcoholism a lot in my life, I don't think booze and fitness mix at all. it's hard but poo poo gotta be done