Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

if a movie like that ever existed, it has probably been focus-tested to have them end up together

They have a kid and open up their relationship, what else are the long-running worst advice jokes that happen to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

They have a kid and open up their relationship, what else are the long-running worst advice jokes that happen to them?

berth ell pup?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Is there a comedy movie involving two people passive aggressively trying to break up with each other in comedically larger stakes as both just dig in further, and the movie ends with them both miserable

Isn't this How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days? Except I guess the dude isn't trying to break up with her. But it's halfway there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

loquacius posted:

There was that sequence from The Graduate where the main character is pressured into going on a date with Mrs Robinson's daughter but has no interest in her so he takes her on the worst date possible so she'll leave him alone

but he loses his nerve halfway through and they End Up Together
They look at each other like "wtf did we do" in the end so at least there's some realism. The graduate is sort of a horror movie, if you think about it. The man suggesting I do "plastics" haunts my nightmares.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They look at each other like "wtf did we do" in the end so at least there's some realism. The graduate is sort of a horror movie, if you think about it. The man suggesting I do "plastics" haunts my nightmares.

I rewatched The Graduate right around when I actually graduated college and a lot of it still rings true

and agreed its ending is loving fantastic

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Saying a gay ex put more effort in than him is a bitchy thing to say though, it's weird how people here think they know everything after reading a short biased one sided account of the situation. For all we know she put on 100 pounds in the last year. Or the guy's an rear end in a top hat. Or they're both terrible :shrug:

I think everyone mostly assumes both parties in most posts are awful in some way (cause everyone is), but we only have so much information to go on and it's a lot more fun to be judgmental about what you have than it is to shrug and give up.

Also, be fair man. They're both probably really fat and ugly.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
gently caress just telling the parents, I'd be telling the loving police

and yeah, also just running away from the knife I mean that seems pretty obviously the play

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Is there a comedy movie involving two people passive aggressively trying to break up with each other in comedically larger stakes as both just dig in further, and the movie ends with them both miserable

The Break Up maybe? They break up and become petty or its the other way around, and iirc they dont end up back together at least.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Wrong

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My (24F) partner (23M) is getting popular on Twitch and it's killing something we used to love doing together. [relationships]

quote:

Info: We've (24F and 23M) been exclusive for about 6 months, and we've been involved for about a year.

He's really good at this one video game. I used to love watching him play. I grew up with an older brother so I got to sit back and watch a ton of classic video games. So I just kinda enjoy the action of everything second hand more than I do playing.

I think he liked me being around when he played, too. It's kinda what lead us to spending more time together since games are something we both enjoy. Plus I'd rub his back and scratch his head and make us little snacks or drinks. His core friends all knew me and would include me in their conversation between rounds. To be honest...the major part of our time together is spent playing games. And I liked that.

Like I said he's actually pretty good and really funny. As a result he gained a Twitch following. Now when he starts streaming he asks me to go sit on the floor or go to the other room because I'm "in the shot." If I ask him anything while he's streaming he'll mute the mic or pause the stream. If his friends still ask about me I wouldn't know because he doesn't relay the info.

Just now it kinda came to a bit of a head. I went over to his house, we had lunch, and he started streaming in the front room. I was asked to go to the other room. My feelings got hurt and I said "I can hang out by myself at home." And I left.

About 10 minutes after I left I got the text messages saying "I'm sorry I'm a nerd" "I'm sorry I'm a loser" "I'll stop streaming in a bit so please come back." "I love you" etc...

And that's not what I want. He's good. He's funny. He likes the attention. I don't want to take that from him. Plus he really loves it. If I make him stop...I'm afraid he'll resent me.

But I also get really hurt when he asks me to leave the room or treats me like I'm some kind of weirdo who wanders in front of the camera on a film shoot. I feel like he took something that I used to love away from me.

How do I address the situation without being controlling but still protecting my feelings?

TL;DR: We used to like video games together and now there's no room for me in his Twitch following. Now what?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

HardDiskD posted:

My (24F) partner (23M) is getting popular on Twitch and it's killing something we used to love doing together. [relationships]

Someone contact forums superstar Putty for input here

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

HardDiskD posted:

Agh gently caress it almost hurts to see someone be so insecure. Like, no you loving idiot she's not saying you're a worthless loser nerd she just wants to actually spend time with you instead of being sent away.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This couple is blazing a trail on what is sure to be hot relationship issue in the coming years.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

He'd probably get way more viewers if she was in the shots. And also the video thumbnails.

Unless she's ugly

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HardDiskD posted:

why is she posting about this online

she seems to have her feelings sorted out pretty well, the correct answer is "ok, tell him that. Take that thing you just said to us, and say it to him."

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

That dude is an ingrate and needs to appreciate his nice head scratching snack making game watching girlfriend and not a bunch of presumably grotesque twitch voyeurs

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

loquacius posted:

why is she posting about this online

she seems to have her feelings sorted out pretty well, the correct answer is "ok, tell him that. Take that thing you just said to us, and say it to him."

b-but she has to protects his feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelings :ohdear:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

HardDiskD posted:

Dude is an immature idiot and is losing his girlfriend over his very poor Twitch streaming decisions. He also doesn't understand that he would have double the viewers/donations if his girlfriend was even sitting in the background of his stream and reading a book, let alone interacting with the desperate dudes watching him play Overwatch or whatever.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dude is an rear end in a top hat for taking an opportunity to apologize and fix the issue and instead act like he's the victim.

"Sorry I'm such a nerd" is a total dick move. Now she feels like she has to build him back up even though she's the one being wronged here.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HardDiskD posted:

b-but she has to protects his feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelings :ohdear:

It's not even anything he should have a problem hearing, he's probably all set up to hear "I don't want you to stream anymore" or even "video games are for children" and should be relieved as hell that all she wants is to not be put in quarantine like a leper

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

He also doesn't understand that he would have double the viewers/donations if his girlfriend was even sitting in the background of his stream and reading a book, let alone interacting with the desperate dudes watching him play Overwatch or whatever.

That was my first thought. She must be really ugly if he doesn't want her on stream.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Older sibling (29 M) pulled knife on me (26 M)
I've never had a knife pulled on me so maybe I'm just naive, but who the gently caress grabs the knife out of the other person's hand?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I dunno, I feel like runnign away is probably a better option especially if the person wielding the knife is telling you to get out of their home

In theory, maybe. OP was already amped up about the confrontation and may have made a snap decision. Anger + Arenaline + Threat to life = a lot of different outcomes.Or maybe he secretly wanted a minor injury so he could point out that his brother was actually deranged but got more than he bargained for. Who knows?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

WampaLord posted:

Dude is an rear end in a top hat for taking an opportunity to apologize and fix the issue and instead act like he's the victim.

"Sorry I'm such a nerd" is a total dick move. Now she feels like she has to build him back up even though she's the one being wronged here.

Yep. This is the same passive aggressive poo poo my ex-wife would pull with the not real apology. With her it was "I'm sorry you feel that way"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

datajugend posted:

The Break Up maybe? They break up and become petty or its the other way around, and iirc they dont end up back together at least.

She doesn't want him to do the dishes. She wants him to want to do the dishes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lol @ the twitch guy fatally misunderstanding the twitch audience. Having a girl appear on a twitch stream greatly boosts it's popularity, unless he's specifically marketing himself as a gay streamer or something.

If he wasn't such a dweeb, he could've had it all !

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

nexous posted:

That was my first thought. She must be really ugly if he doesn't want her on stream.

It's much more likely he's a huge nerdy rear end bitch who thinks that streaming video games isn't "for girls" and feels embarrassed to have a FEMALE on his stream than OP being ugly or some such.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's much more likely he's a huge nerdy rear end bitch who thinks that streaming video games isn't "for girls" and feels embarrassed to have a FEMALE on his stream than OP being ugly or some such.

I think those two scenarios are at the most equally likely. It's not that hard to believe that a dude obsessed with a specific video game and people watching him do it might be ugly and/or have an ugly girlfriend...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

well why not posted:

lol @ the twitch guy fatally misunderstanding the twitch audience. Having a girl appear on a twitch stream greatly boosts it's popularity, unless he's specifically marketing himself as a gay streamer or something.

If he wasn't such a dweeb, he could've had it all !

Basically.

*Is a dude playing an idiot Blizzard game or something.*

*Suddenly a girl appears in the background. She looks like she just woke up and is wearing PJ's. She gets a bowl of cereal*

Chat:
GIRL
GRILL
who's that??
hey grill!!
SUB HYPE RAISE YOUR DONGERS
whos that girl!
Bonerlord99 can I play with your team?
I LIKE BOOBS
Dose she play overwatch???
GRILL
SMOKING HOT GRILL
I hate the manager at my work I hope Trump kicks that beaner out MAGA!!!
Is that your gf bonerlard99?
THEIRS A GIRL

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Don't play video games once you're over about 12

It's not worth it

And for the love of God, girls, stop watching guys play video games. That is the ultimate sign of… I don't even know, lack of self-worth

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean, unless it is a game like Illbleed where the controls are terrible so you don't actually want to play it, but it is totally worth it for cork goes to hell

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pick posted:

It's not worth it

And for the love of God, girls, stop watching guys play video games. That is the ultimate sign of… I don't even know, lack of self-worth

you cannot stop me from overwatching I am very good and powerful at it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

you cannot stop me from overwatching I am very good and powerful at it

That is advice for men with girlfriends, don't worry, you are still allowed to kiss widow maker when she shows up on the screen

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I have a gold gun pick do you have a gold gun

I don't think so

winning

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pick posted:

It's not worth it

what troposphere said

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pick posted:

That is advice for men with girlfriends, don't worry, you are still allowed to kiss widow maker when she shows up on the screen

good,good

carry on

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

golden guns are tacky

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

HardDiskD posted:

golden guns are tacky

gonna stab you with the big golden knife on my freeze gun scrub don't test me

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My last girlfriend liked to watch me play games sometimes I'm sorry for being a patriarchy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I like people asking permission to break up.
My girlfriend [24f] basically catfished me [28m] to see if I'd cheat. I'm furious and don't know if this is grounds for breaking up or not.

quote:

Me and Samantha have been together for 4 and a half years. We live together and have a generally great life, and are very happy together.

I did however just find out that she's been essentially catfishing me for at least 2 of these years.

She has made an account on Instagram, which she proceeded to use to follow me and try to DM me as this catfish. And same with Facebook. 2 different womans photos, but both are Samantha.

I found out from her best friend who told me in private, and said she's been doing this for 2 years and can even show me the real woman. She said she did it to see if I'd ever be unfaithful. But, 2 years???

I'm unsure what to do from here on out. She doesn't know I know yet, and I don't know when/how to bring it up. I'm honestly furious. I've been great to this girl for 4 years and wouldn't hurt her, but she obviously still doesn't trust me and has basically had a whole made up life, as someone else, trying to get with me???

What would you do in this situation?

Tl;dr; found out from gfs best friend that my gf has been catfishing for 2 years, as 2 different woman to see if I'd cheat. Been together 4 and a half years and I've never done anything wrong. Should I break up with her or forgive her??

No details on what he's said to these made-up women though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Troposphere posted:

gonna stab you with the big golden knife on my freeze gun scrub don't test me

come at me bro