Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

SgtSteel91 posted:

Let's remember Mass Effect 2 instead

What was your favorite Loyalty Mission?

Mine was A House Divided

Tali and Legion's ones. It was cool seeing the inside of a flotilla ship for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
One thing I never understood about the flotilla & Quarians:

If you have to wear environment suits because you have no immune system, and you have no immune system because your species has lived on sterile ships for hundreds of years, then why are all the Quarians walking around in suits inside the ship?

It would make much more sense to force the few visitors they get to stay suited the whole time, and pass them through a sterilization procedure on the way in. Of course the whole idea of a species having no immune response is ludicrous in a universe when scientists can engineer a virus to prevent exactly 999/1000 births anyway.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The quarians are stupid and dumb that's why

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

poptart_fairy posted:

I still think it was a mistake to have Paragon Shepard save everyone and still get Zaeed's loyalty. The dude was angry, petty and vile. Being able to turn him around with a small angry one liner felt really off.

Wasn't it more a 'get on board or I'm going to leave you to die here' liner?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
quarians only got 3 fingers

thats messed up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nevets posted:

If you have to wear environment suits because you have no immune system, and you have no immune system because your species has lived on sterile ships for hundreds of years, then why are all the Quarians walking around in suits inside the ship?

It would make much more sense to force the few visitors they get to stay suited the whole time, and pass them through a sterilization procedure on the way in. Of course the whole idea of a species having no immune response is ludicrous in a universe when scientists can engineer a virus to prevent exactly 999/1000 births anyway.

Because Salarians are racists against dinosaurs and space gypsies.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Nevets posted:

iirc they also have negative reactions to eachother and everything that isn't their own personal suit environment. I mean, it's silly that they didn't bother to try and deal with this for 300 years but there you go.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

JawKnee posted:

iirc they also have negative reactions to eachother and everything that isn't their own personal suit environment. I mean, it's silly that they didn't bother to try and deal with this for 300 years but there you go.

New theory:

After their exodus the Quarian leadership was secretly replaced by a group of religious fundamentalists who believe in space abstinence only education. The only way to make sure you never get a disease is to have no physical contact with anyone else, ever.

It kind of fits the theme of a rag-tag group of exiles who were forced off their home planet after playing god and creating homonculi / golems / etc. and must now wander the wilderness, shunned by other nations, searching for the promised land.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Nevets posted:

I think Tali mentions in ME1 that it's because their ships are just so terrible that they might break down, get a random hull breach, whatever. Tali's mom died because an air filter in the ship broke down, IIRC.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lmao if you ever even talk to Cullen let alone romance his lame rear end

Cullen is a hottie with a sexy voice

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I give Cullen a lot of props for being the only Bioware character I can remember who realizes that things like "logistics" or "planning" might be important to a military organization. He's an island of pragmatism in a sea of tumblr.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Let's see some Mass Effect Andromeda news in the Mass Effect Andromeda thread.

• The encounter with the pirate lady, Sloane Kelly, that includes the lifeless puppet gun stealing animation in my avatar is part of the central plot so you can expect that lady to be the new Aria and you all better learn to like her.
  • SAM is "broader" than EDI and supposed to be a "permanent part of your character." This raises questions because AI were illegal as hell which is why EDI was made by a criminal organization, but SAM is just...part of you. Did the effects of Synthesis somehow reach Ryder in dark space? Are we going to be loading SAM into an anatomically correct android body and making out with him?
  • They believe they can have the game finished by a 'certain date' but don't want to pressure the team by telling anyone what it is.
  • There was apparently a cut squadmate! I hadn't heard anything about this, but apparently they decided since this guy had the least content to him they would drop him as a squaddie entirely and use the resources to beef up the loyalty missions of other companions. They already bragged that the squadmate with the least amount of lines/content in this game has more of those than the squaddies with the most of either in ME3 (or DAI if I remember the quote right).

There are also reports saying we can count on a "magnificent seven" recruitable characters at launch, including Drack the Krogan and our friend the turian. There's also something mentioning a biotic named "Cora" which may be the real name of our asari friend Peebee. And of course we have Liam, who is supposed to be a human police officer that signed up with Ryder. That leaves two or three unaccounted for so far.

According to this story, we can expect more companions as DLC, including probably the cut guy. It also says that Andromeda is meant to be playable after the main story line is finished, and I believe we can probably expect post-final-boss DLC in the future a la Inquisition's Trespasser.

Major aspects of the gameplay are going to revolve around the Nexus and "cultural exploration" is supposed to be important. What that means gameplay wise hasn't been elaborated upon.

Part of the plot revolves around how the Arks did not arrive at their correct destinations at their expected times, which causes some of the problems. The excerpt with Sloane Kelly follows after unrest on the Nexus has splintered the mission somewhat.

Also--and please don't take this as tacit permission to relaunch the ME3 ending shitfest--producer Michael Gamble had this to say:

quote:

We want to leave the ending, and what we’re doing with it, as a surprise. This is a different type of story, so it will be something different than the trilogy. We can’t wait to hear what fans think.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/mass-effect-andromeda-news-rumors/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223412495&postcount=1

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 13, 2016

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
EDI was pretty drat Broad-y so I can't imagine what the new fuckbot is gonna look like

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

[*]SAM is "broader" than EDI and supposed to be a "permanent part of your character." This raises questions because AI were illegal as hell which is why EDI was made by a criminal organization, but SAM is just...part of you. Did the effects of Synthesis somehow reach Ryder in dark space? Are we going to be loading SAM into an anatomically correct android body and making out with him?

wait wait - did Bioware specify a cannon ending to ME3?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the ends are bad 2: badder enders

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think it just means SAM is a VI who will be more involved in different ways in quests than EDI's 'mission control'. For example, SAM can use his Witcher senses to uncover murder scenes at a range of 5 metres.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Moola posted:

the ends are bad 2: badder enders

mass effect 4: moan of the enders

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JawKnee posted:

No. Andromeda takes place far from the Milky Way specifically so that the ending to ME3 doesn't matter. I think that synthesis comment was a joke.

Lt. Danger posted:

I think it just means SAM is a VI who will be more involved in different ways in quests than EDI's 'mission control'. For example, SAM can use his Witcher senses to uncover murder scenes at a range of 5 metres.

Yeah, that's how I'm taking it. It'll be the justification for a Witcher sense/AC Eagle Vision mechanic or something. Maybe Ryder has some sort of implant that lets them take SAM along, like Master Chief and Cortana.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

JawKnee posted:

Harrow posted:

No. Andromeda takes place far from the Milky Way specifically so that the ending to ME3 doesn't matter. I think that synthesis comment was a joke.

Yep.

The news article said he's an AI but that could just be the writer not bothering to distinguish it from VI in the Mass Effect lore. If he's a full blown AI and you keep him in your head or something that would sure be something!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Also, AI's are only illegal in Citadel space. Who the gently caress cares when they're in Andromeda. There are no rules!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I imagine SAM is a VI, true AI on a Citadel approved mission with this many participants would be fairly bonkers given how much of a taboo it is.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I have ME1 and 2 on Steam, is it possible to port my saves over to 3 on Origin or do I need to have all three games on Origin?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Captain_Person posted:

I have ME1 and 2 on Steam, is it possible to port my saves over to 3 on Origin or do I need to have all three games on Origin?

Yes. It looks for the previous game saves in your My Documents folder. You don't have to have them all on Origin.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

marshmallow creep posted:

They believe they can have the game finished by a 'certain date' but don't want to pressure the team by telling anyone what it is.

Hahahaha

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Android Blues posted:

I imagine SAM is a VI, true AI on a Citadel approved mission with this many participants would be fairly bonkers given how much of a taboo it is.

I'm still not sure whether the Andromeda Initiative is council approved or privately set up. Have they confirmed that one way or the other anywhere?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

I'm still not sure whether the Andromeda Initiative is council approved or privately set up. Have they confirmed that one way or the other anywhere?

All of the Arks are comprised of Citadel Council races, so probably.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

It's a private venture started by Humans, the rest of the Milky Way Races came aboard later.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

With the reference to the magnificent seven, I wonder if they'll try to recapture the Collector Base by having a suicidal defense of the Nexus?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Moola posted:

Cullen is a hottie with a sexy voice

Cullen is a decent character who shows up in every single game in increasingly implausible ways and feels kinda shoehorned in because of it. Which is a shame because as a character he's fine.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

Cullen is a decent character who shows up in every single game in increasingly implausible ways and feels kinda shoehorned in because of it. Which is a shame because as a character he's fine.

He works best under the following conditions.

1) You didn't play DA:O a million times so you have a weak memory of him.
2) You didn't play DA2 at all.
3) By the time you play DA:I you completely forgot anything about him other than maybe "yeah he was a Templar before".

Makes his character a lot stronger.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 13, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I completely forgot him by DAI so that checks out.

"...fan favorite? Who was this guy again?"

*googles*

"Oh the guy thst gets tortured in the mage tower. He's a fan favorite?"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chomp8645 posted:

He works best under the following conditions.

1) You didn't play DA:O a million times so you have a weak memory of him.
2) You didn't play DA2 at all.
3) By the time you play DA:I you completely forgot anything about him other than maybe "yeah he was a Templar before".

Makes his character a lot stronger.

"Hey buddy I know you have chronic PTSD from all your buddies getting tortured to death by Abominations caused by blood magic gone wild, but we're gonna ship you to an entirely different country across an ocean rather than keeping you stationed somewhere in the country you actually know to Blood Magic Central in the city that is infamous for having chronic fuckup mages"

And then he becomes military commander of the Super UN! Oh Cullen-kun~

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Nevets posted:

I think the real answer to this is that they just didn't want to bother designing and implementing suitless Quarian models.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blastedhellscape posted:

I think the real answer to this is that they just didn't want to bother designing and implementing suitless Quarian models.

They had to preserve the mystery in order to preserve Tali's tsundere-ness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JawKnee posted:

I completely forgot him by DAI so that checks out.

"...fan favorite? Who was this guy again?"

*googles*

"Oh the guy thst gets tortured in the mage tower. He's a fan favorite?"

Apart from Aveline he is the only person with any common sense in DA2

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apart from Aveline he is the only person with any common sense in DA2

Varric shows a considerable amount of sense by not caring about the mage/templar poo poo and instead getting sequentially drunk and rich.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

This also got posted recently. The trailer but with commentary from Walters and Gamble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPt9ZIdObT8

The Need for Speed guys helped build the Nomad. At this point is there anyone working for EA that hasn't had a hand in Andromeda?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

maybe they can contract out the writing to Obsidian for the next one

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

also he's hot and his voice is sexy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Zzulu posted:

quarians only got 3 fingers

thats messed up

Nature abhors an inability to do the shocker.