Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Ghost of Starman posted:

Thanks, this is all really helpful.

For boots, do you mean generally you generally wait for Rares that drop w/ Movespeed? I ask mostly because boots without +Move seem pretty worthless, and adding 8-12% with the crafting bench feels downright anemic compared to 20% or higher...

Not wearing Seven-League Step until your character is finished feels slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

I have added 26 points to the tree you have right now: http://poeurl.com/Vga . This will give you good bit of life and spell critical chance/multiplier, aswell as a bit of elemental damage, spell damage and cast speed. You should also try to get your lab trials done for each difficulty as you get there, and then ascend to one of the three witch subclasses. All three are somewhat viable for Arc, but I would say elementalist is much easier for a new player than occultist or necromancer.

E: To show your character's gear, use https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/YOUR_ACCOUNTNAME_HERE/characters . Before anyone can see it, you must change your profile to public in the website privacy settings, however.

Sweet, thanks! Yea I tried to do the lab on normal but I kept dying to Izaro so I gave up on it. I assumed that because it was so difficult that perhaps I was attempting it too early. Also my build does seems a bit lacking on single target damage for boss fights.

Here's my gear, I assume it's all crap.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 12, 2016

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
Can anyone check out my gear and let me know what I need to upgrade the most on my Flameblast Inquisitor? At the moment I can run the tier 1/2 maps with no problems as long as I keep moving and using my flasks. Without the flasks, I find myself getting 1-shot pretty easily or stun-locked.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Sweet, thanks! Yea I tried to do the lab on normal but I kept dying to Izaro so I gave up on it. I assumed that because it was so difficult that perhaps I was attempting it too early. Also my build does seems a bit lacking on single target damage for boss fights.

Here's my gear, I assume it's all crap.

Arc is very poor for single target yea. You could try buying a vaal storm call (costs like 1alchemy) and linking it to spell echo + lightning penetration + increased duration. This will not work on izaro since you won't be able to charge it up, but for pretty much every other boss in the game it's a great nuke. As for izaro himself, you could try levelling up a ball lightning gem in a free gem slot and just swap it in for the boss fight.

Your gear isn't great, but at the same time you shouldn't worry too much about that until you reach around lvl65 or so. Having said that, if you have a couple of alchemy orbs spare you should buy two Axiom Perpetuum Bronze Sceptre. They should be available for 1alc each and they will massively boost your damage output. Another decent item when you reach lvl53 is Geofri's Crest Great Crown, a helmet with +1 to gem levels and a good bit of resistances. This one should also be available for 1alc. Put your arc setup in this if you decide to buy one.

E: You should make a Orb of Storms setup that looks like this: Orb of storms -> Curse on Hit -> Assassin's Mark -> Power Charge on Critical. That will provide you with power charges which will massively boost your crit rate, as well as cursing the enemy for you. You can test yourself which you find is better between Assassin's Mark and Conductivity, but I strongly suspect Assassin's Mark will be much better. Another option for power charge generation is to link your Herald of Thunder (and/or Herald of Ice) -> Curse on Hit -> Assassin's Mark.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 12, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

damnfan posted:

Can anyone check out my gear and let me know what I need to upgrade the most on my Flameblast Inquisitor? At the moment I can run the tier 1/2 maps with no problems as long as I keep moving and using my flasks. Without the flasks, I find myself getting 1-shot pretty easily or stun-locked.

Your profile is set to private. Change it in your privacy settings on the website.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

TheRat posted:

Your profile is set to private. Change it in your privacy settings on the website.

Fixed! I know that my Tabula should be replaced, I'm just poor :toot:

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
So, I finally grabbed a Cospri's armor and Devoto's. Now I just need to figure out something nice I can build with them.

Anything that can farm uber lab and high maps using those two? I saw an EQ build that uses them, but it's doing way better for me as just a mid tier and dried lake farmer.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

damnfan posted:

Your main issue is obviously your low energy shield. If my tool is correct you're sitting at something like 3300 which is nowhere near enough to keep you out of trouble. If you spend your next three points to grab Arcane Focus, and grab a cheap ES shield to replace your offhand, you'll be at around 5000 energy shield which should give you a lot more room to breathe. A 300+ ES shield is available for 1chaos or less. Then, if you can afford it, you can buy a Valyrium ring for ~4chaos that should mostly solve your stun issues now that you have a decent ES base. After that, you can buy a 300+ ES helmet for 3c, or save up a bit more for one with resistances on it.

And just in case you don't know, the added damage crafted on your dagger doesn't work on spells, it's for attacks only. Here's a poe.trade search for cheap daggers that should be a massive upgrade from yours

Finally, if you replace your quartz flask with a basalt flask (available from merciless mercy mission) you'll be much better equipped to handle physical damage. Your ideal flask setup when you have gear covered is probably Quicksilver + Basalt + Stibnite + Silver + Sulphur (get zealot's oath for this).

E: Make a cwdt->immortal call setup (leave gems at lvl1), it'll save you from a lot of burst damage.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 12, 2016

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

damnfan posted:

As Rodent said, your biggest issue is low ES. You should be using an ES shield instead of 2x caster weapon, regardless of what any guide says.

You really want a Valyrium, because stuns WILL kill you repeatedly, especially on higher level maps.

Another big issue I see is your cast speed is low; Flameblast Totems really need decent cast speed or the build feels incredibly sluggish. Cut the Jade Flask for a Silver, the Onslaught from it gives you 20% increased cast speed. Lose the caster dagger and pick up a wand or scepter with 18%+ cast speed and 60+% spell crit chance. Ideally this is a scepter so you can shield charge for 30% cast speed off of Instruments of Virtue. Super endgame is an Essence of Misery crafted dagger, but that is going to be prohibitively expensive.

Here's my Flameblast Totem dude for reference

J
Jun 10, 2001

NightfallGemini posted:

So, I finally grabbed a Cospri's armor and Devoto's. Now I just need to figure out something nice I can build with them.

Anything that can farm uber lab and high maps using those two? I saw an EQ build that uses them, but it's doing way better for me as just a mid tier and dried lake farmer.

Check out this guy's character norse_teevee (at the very bottom of the lisT) https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/norseman21/characters

He was streaming that build clearing out uber lab in <8 minutes while grabbing all of the keys.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Any reason I shouldn't start taking prophecies as soon as I hit Merciless, or should I wait for some other point?

Because you generally don't stick around in normal and cruel for longer then 1-4 hours and you might get a prophecy that would make you go back to where you already were. Thus making taking leveling longer. Just save your coins for when you hit merc.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

Arc is very poor for single target yea. You could try buying a vaal storm call (costs like 1alchemy) and linking it to spell echo + lightning penetration + increased duration. This will not work on izaro since you won't be able to charge it up, but for pretty much every other boss in the game it's a great nuke. As for izaro himself, you could try levelling up a ball lightning gem in a free gem slot and just swap it in for the boss fight.

Your gear isn't great, but at the same time you shouldn't worry too much about that until you reach around lvl65 or so. Having said that, if you have a couple of alchemy orbs spare you should buy two Axiom Perpetuum Bronze Sceptre. They should be available for 1alc each and they will massively boost your damage output. Another decent item when you reach lvl53 is Geofri's Crest Great Crown, a helmet with +1 to gem levels and a good bit of resistances. This one should also be available for 1alc. Put your arc setup in this if you decide to buy one.

E: You should make a Orb of Storms setup that looks like this: Orb of storms -> Curse on Hit -> Assassin's Mark -> Power Charge on Critical. That will provide you with power charges which will massively boost your crit rate, as well as cursing the enemy for you. You can test yourself which you find is better between Assassin's Mark and Conductivity, but I strongly suspect Assassin's Mark will be much better. Another option for power charge generation is to link your Herald of Thunder (and/or Herald of Ice) -> Curse on Hit -> Assassin's Mark.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I picked up two 3l version of those maces and burned some chormatics to get them all blue. I'll try those skills you mentioned and see how it fares.

One other question, are 4l rares potentially worth anything, or are they pretty much just vendor trash?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Hey, thanks for the advice. I picked up two 3l version of those maces and burned some chormatics to get them all blue. I'll try those skills you mentioned and see how it fares.

One other question, are 4l rares potentially worth anything, or are they pretty much just vendor trash?
4l rares aren't worth anything in and of themselves. When it gets to lategame stuff, links on an item matter a lot less for sell price than the actual rolls (i.e. if it's not at least 5l it makes no difference).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've somehow wandered in to getting a Witchfire Brew and a Consuming Dark on my Pyre Vortex character (CiaphasSA_V). Are those helping much with outgoing damage or am I better off selling them?

I have spare mana by the truck load. What other auras should I be running alongside Herald of Thunder?

Character seems to handle at least T3 maps just fine, which I think is pretty impressive for being 69 and not having done Merc lab yet.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I've somehow wandered in to getting a Witchfire Brew and a Consuming Dark on my Pyre Vortex character (CiaphasSA_V). Are those helping much with outgoing damage or am I better off selling them?

Witchfire brew is helping you a ton, consuming dark is hurting you. Consuming dark converts part of your fire damage to chaos damage, and that damage will not contribute to the ignite which is your major source of damage.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Whirling suddenly into a peacock pack with Violent Retailation and instantly gaining 24 stacks of 4% movement speed is the best feeling.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

TheRat posted:

Witchfire brew is helping you a ton, consuming dark is hurting you. Consuming dark converts part of your fire damage to chaos damage, and that damage will not contribute to the ignite which is your major source of damage.

Dangit I knew something was awry when I asked Guild chat yesterday and they said it was a straight upgrade anyway because of order of operations. :argh:

The thing is, I have an ED Contagion character (life based Scion) who I'm told that Witching Brew and Consuming Dark are literally made for, but I don't really want to play her anymore. Just not flashy or spectacular enough compared to the explodey fire of Pyre Vortex :(

Guess I'll just sell the dagger and buy a replacement shield or something.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Take everything said in guild chat with a grain of salt

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
health $200
resists $150
damage $800
movespeed $3600

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this; this is my first season, i have no idea what i'm doing and i'm getting my rear end kicked in mid-level maps, though at least i can run from death to death really quickly

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
concretely: i have no standard of reference, but my damage feels fine-ish--maybe 12k tooltip damage off a tornado shot with my frenzy stacks up? I generally don't have any trouble vaporizing anything that can't instantly kill me. Sometimes I end up in a situation when i'm taking so much damage I can't leech it off (generally when i pop a breach and 11 million things spawn on me) or straight up get oneshot--I have like 3200 HP right now, but occasionally I still meet things capable of ending me before I can react. Physical/elemental reflect mobs are also trouble, though I can do elemental reflects if I take off my PTL gem.

Gearwise, I'm pretty sure my chestpiece is the weak link? I found something pretty good and sold it so I have a small nest egg, maybe 80 chaos or so.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Reiterpallasch posted:

health $200
resists $150
damage $800
movespeed $3600

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this; this is my first season, i have no idea what i'm doing and i'm getting my rear end kicked in mid-level maps, though at least i can run from death to death really quickly

spend less on movespeed

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

Reiterpallasch posted:

concretely: i have no standard of reference, but my damage feels fine-ish--maybe 12k tooltip damage off a tornado shot with my frenzy stacks up? I generally don't have any trouble vaporizing anything that can't instantly kill me. Sometimes I end up in a situation when i'm taking so much damage I can't leech it off (generally when i pop a breach and 11 million things spawn on me) or straight up get oneshot--I have like 3200 HP right now, but occasionally I still meet things capable of ending me before I can react. Physical/elemental reflect mobs are also trouble, though I can do elemental reflects if I take off my PTL gem.

Gearwise, I'm pretty sure my chestpiece is the weak link? I found something pretty good and sold it so I have a small nest egg, maybe 80 chaos or so.

Your damage is fine. Your life is very very low. Work on getting more lifenodes + more life on gear for the next few levels and your gameplay will be massively improved. I would recommend trying to get at least 5k hp by lvl85 or so. You should also replace one of your healing potions with a basalt flask to help you mitigate damage.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

StashAugustine posted:

spend less on movespeed

no

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
What kind of defensive stats do people try and aim for when pushing maps? For the most part I currently have no problem coasting through tier6/7 while building up my map pool aside from phys reflect or particularly crazy breaches. I'm life evasion with about 4k hp and I can't help but think my damage output and leech is what's keeping me cruising with the occasional pianoing across flask to keep from getting nuked by bad breaches. Is there a good evasion chest I should be looking for or just rock a belly for that HP pool?

Edit: I don't actually know what level maps I can do as I havent gotten maps higher than 7 yet.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Your build is...something....I guess.

1. "Crit-based lightning conversion T-Shot" seems to be your aim. OK, that I get. But you go all in on Frenzy charges...and your Curse on Hit setup is Assassin's Mark...that just seems rather counter-intuitive.
2. Lightning Arrow would probably be better than T-Shot so you can go full elemental damage. Lightning Arrow + Chain = super strong.
3. If you're going to go full Dodge, you need Grace.
4. Drop Hatred, run Herald of Thunder - Curse on Hit - Poacher's Mark - Increased Duration. If you can shock reliably enough you should be able to keep Poacher's Mark constantly on enemies, which will help with generating Frenzy charges and gives you life/mana on hit.
5. You need way more life on the tree. Aim for 150%. You're at 118%. Pick up those two stragglers and then get the Revenge of the Hunted Cluster to get you to 147%.

There's some other stuff too that needs work, but I've got a meeting to go to.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Your build is...something....I guess.

1. "Crit-based lightning conversion T-Shot" seems to be your aim. OK, that I get. But you go all in on Frenzy charges...and your Curse on Hit setup is Assassin's Mark...that just seems rather counter-intuitive.
2. Lightning Arrow would probably be better than T-Shot so you can go full elemental damage. Lightning Arrow + Chain = super strong.
3. If you're going to go full Dodge, you need Grace.
4. Drop Hatred, run Herald of Thunder - Curse on Hit - Poacher's Mark - Increased Duration. If you can shock reliably enough you should be able to keep Poacher's Mark constantly on enemies, which will help with generating Frenzy charges and gives you life/mana on hit.
5. You need way more life on the tree. Aim for 150%. You're at 118%. Pick up those two stragglers and then get the Revenge of the Hunted Cluster to get you to 147%.

There's some other stuff too that needs work, but I've got a meeting to go to.

1) Frenzy charges are easier to maintain than power charges
2) Lightning arrow doesn't do single target, so would require a secondary setup for that. Tornado Shot is an entirely acceptable allrounder.
3) No you definitely don't need grace. I don't think I've run grace a single time since before the Reduced Mana changes.
4) Drop hatred and arctic armour. Run wrath + herald of ice->curse on hit->assassin's mark.
5) Agree 100%. Get more life.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

poe isn't a game for anyone to walk in and make up their own build and skill they want to use

people have written thousands of words in hundreds of guides showing you exactly what skills and gear to take as a beginner

once you have that you can find another slightly less in depth guide that can give you ideas for your second or third build

believe me when I say that unless you use a brand new unique that was released that has an insane gimmick, someone has made the build you're thinking of before

also don't ask goons for help lol, you're going to get one right answer and ten wrong answers

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

you're going to get one right answer

*raises paw*

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TheRat posted:

*raises paw*

owo

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What stats do I focus on as a necro witch

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

tithin posted:

what's up, welcome to the thread. I suggest looking at the witch forums on pathofexile.com and finding the skill you want to use in the title of a thread there. also what does "stats" even mean? int str and dex are just means to an end for equipping gear, you don't stack them unless an item requires it. You want minion damage and +2 to minions in your helm.

people have written thousands of words in hundreds of guides showing you exactly what skills and gear to take as a beginner

also don't ask goons for help lol, you're going to get one right answer and ten wrong answers

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tithin posted:

Depends entirely on the type of necro witch you are playing. As an example I once ran a shockwave totem necromancer, I know of a top10 player who did blade vortex necromancer. There are support necromancers too. I suspect you probably mean some kind of minion-based build, but it's impossible to give good advice without knowing the specifics.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I tried Herald of Ice + Curse on Hit + a Mark before but wasn't noticing much--how does that interaction work? The bonus ice damage from Herald doesn't seem to be applying the curse. Is the idea to just kill something with Tornado Shot, have the icesplosion apply the curse to all nearby enemies, then rack in the mana+life+stacks on kill?

Also, my plan was to buy nothing buy life nodes from now on, but i'm definitely leveling slower in the 70s now, especially with all the deaths. Do you think it'd be worth regreting out of any of the nodes I have right now for more life immediately, and maybe buying them back if I ever hit the high 80s? Or just ditching those sick nasty movespeed boots and going back to something with just +life on it?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

I tried Herald of Ice + Curse on Hit + a Mark before but wasn't noticing much--how does that interaction work? The bonus ice damage from Herald doesn't seem to be applying the curse. Is the idea to just kill something with Tornado Shot, have the icesplosion apply the curse to all nearby enemies, then rack in the mana+life+stacks on kill?

Also, my plan was to buy nothing buy life nodes from now on, but i'm definitely leveling slower in the 70s now, especially with all the deaths. Do you think it'd be worth regreting out of any of the nodes I have right now for more life immediately, and maybe buying them back if I ever hit the high 80s? Or just ditching those sick nasty movespeed boots and going back to something with just +life on it?

yeah the icesplosion is what applies the curse

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

e:n/m

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

Yes, the explosions is what causes the curse on hit. The reason a lot of people prefer this over herald of thunder is that herald of thunder has very limited range. If you kill something outside that range, they will not be cursed.

Reiterpallasch posted:

If you're dying so often that you're not actually levelling up, you should definitely respec into some more life nodes. Your boots are fine, you can keep those.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

what's up, welcome to the thread. I suggest looking at the witch forums on pathofexile.com and finding the skill you want to use in the title of a thread there. also what does "stats" even mean? int str and dex are just means to an end for equipping gear, you don't stack them unless an item requires it. You want minion damage and +2 to minions in your helm.

Thank you :)

TheRat posted:

Depends entirely on the type of necro witch you are playing. As an example I once ran a shockwave totem necromancer, I know of a top10 player who did blade vortex necromancer. There are support necromancers too. I suspect you probably mean some kind of minion-based build, but it's impossible to give good advice without knowing the specifics.

I was thinking classic d2 minion type, right now I'm following the witch guide in the op at level 22 which lets me summon 5 zombies and 7 skeletons, I've supplemented this by finding a skill gem that explodes corpses to give all of my minions a cast/attack speed frenzy and my main attack summons a flaming skeleton head for like 10 seconds. I kill things pretty quickly, but don't know what I should be focusing on gear wise to supplement this build.

I also find myself running out of corpses which isn't great

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tithin posted:

I was thinking classic d2 minion type, right now I'm following the witch guide in the op at level 22 which lets me summon 5 zombies and 7 skeletons, I've supplemented this by finding a skill gem that explodes corpses to give all of my minions a cast/attack speed frenzy and my main attack summons a flaming skeleton head for like 10 seconds. I kill things pretty quickly, but don't know what I should be focusing on gear wise to supplement this build.
Sounds like you want to play a classical summoner. I would recommend checking out this list of builds to see if you find something you like https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1774022

tithin posted:

I also find myself running out of corpses which isn't great

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Desecrate

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

What guide? Not seeing one.

So you're running Raise Zombie with Summon Skeletons and Summon Raging Spirit, supplemented with Flesh Offering. For gear, you really just want to be super defensive, since none of its stats will benefit your minions outside of cast speed (which doesn't really matter for zombies). If you happen to get a +minion gem level helm though, different story.

Also, the Desecrate skill will create corpses, which is helpful for both making zombies or consuming with Flesh Offering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

whypick1 posted:

What guide? Not seeing one.

So you're running Raise Zombie with Summon Skeletons and Summon Raging Spirit, supplemented with Flesh Offering. For gear, you really just want to be super defensive, since none of its stats will benefit your minions outside of cast speed (which doesn't really matter for zombies). If you happen to get a +minion gem level helm though, different story.

Also, the Desecrate skill will create corpses, which is helpful for both making zombies or consuming with Flesh Offering.

Are corpses created by desecrate available to baddies as well?

• Locked thread