Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just realized there's a dungeon with mazes to figure out how to get to ledges to kick down ladders and you have a loving character that can teleport at will but isn't allowed to outside of combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's a game where you're trying to find a girl that you communicate with by writing notes in a book and giving them to a dog, and also everyone has smartphones

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha drat welp points to you because that legit didn't even come across my mind. Boy what a weird game.

e: we should be lucky they didn't go full GTA and Watch_Dogs and give us a fake mobile OS to navigate with regional blogs and Final Fantasy themed fake Twitter

e: wait now I really want that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Haha drat welp points to you because that legit didn't even come across my mind. Boy what a weird game.

e: we should be lucky they didn't go full GTA and Watch_Dogs and give us a fake mobile OS to navigate with regional blogs and Final Fantasy themed fake Twitter

e: wait now I really want that

I was about to say that sounds frigging great. I want to explore Warker.

Hell, you can have Iris liveblogging poo poo to worldbuild with minimal effort or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As someone else mentioned the game has obviously been in development for 10 years because a group of 18-25 year olds find out about the king dying in a newspaper.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

As someone else mentioned the game has obviously been in development for 10 years because a group of 18-25 year olds find out about the king dying in a newspaper.

Hey, in a fantasy world we can pretend newspapers are still relevant

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

*10 year old kid in khaki shorts and a button down shirt* Legend has it there's a magical sword behind a nearby waterfall!

Did you even snopes that poo poo? Stop wasting my time, kid

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fellatio del Toro posted:

*10 year old kid in khaki shorts and a button down shirt* Legend has it there's a magical sword behind a nearby waterfall!

He's a history buff. He did his research.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

While it turns out the sword was behind the nearby waterfall it turns out ti was not magical but merely a regular sword gifted with magical properties by its wielder. FantasyFact rates this as PARTIALLY TRUE.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Does leaving a dungeon reset all the enemy spawns?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Ometeotl posted:

Does leaving a dungeon reset all the enemy spawns?

Yep! Thankfully it's pretty easy to just run past encounters if you don't feel like fighting again.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The keep in chapter 13 is so long that when I reunited with Gladio he immediately got 25% of a level in survival.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Yep! Thankfully it's pretty easy to just run past encounters if you don't feel like fighting again.

I don't think so. I left Costlemark Tower because the blocks had glitched and weren't letting me move them and when I came back I just had to sprint through.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think it respawns some enemies, but not all. I accidentally clicked the mile long ladder out of the sewers and certain groups of enemies respawned. Most of them did not.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Deified Data posted:

Niflheim are cartoon villains with no real motivation for doing anything they're doing. I often wondered how this non-entity was capable of holding an entire continent with virtually zero infrastructure other than robots. How many Nifs do you actually meet? I think the only reference to there being any people in Niflheim was a throwaway reference to civilians hiding in their homes.

Not saying they don't make sense in the bare-bones context they're presented in, just that fighting villains with no personality is boring so I consider it a flaw.

They all died before the game started. The research notes in chapter 13 talk about an epidemic of Daemon-disease wiping out whole towns left and right. So the empire has been crippled for years, but were controlling the media to hide this, and right before it falls apart completely the Emperor gambles everything on a last-ditch effort to remain relevant by seizing the crystal from Lucis. All this was orchestrated by Ardyn from behind the scenes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/AkitaStudio/status/808170422818709505

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

I was about to say that sounds frigging great. I want to explore Warker.

Hell, you can have Iris liveblogging poo poo to worldbuild with minimal effort or something.

And in 10 years when Final Fantasy XVI finally comes out people will go OHH, it's a parody of that twitty social media thing. How quaint.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

air- posted:

Hey so for anyone else who took out Adamantoise, make sure you go to the Longwythe Rest Area and talk to Dave again for a nice reward!

Am I missing something? I combed the place top to bottom and he isn't there at all.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Am I missing something? I combed the place top to bottom and he isn't there at all.

drat that sucks! He should be to the right of the diner. When you walk up to him, it puts you back in the diner and all the NPC's who gave you items will then give you Oracle Ascension Coins (so up to 14)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

And in 10 years when Final Fantasy XVI finally comes out people will go OHH, it's a parody of that twitty social media thing. How quaint.

Excuse me, our President is going to spend the next 4-8 years getting in wars on Twitter, nobody will forget it very soon unless it is due to the oncoming nuclear death.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Baron Corbyn posted:

I don't think so. I left Costlemark Tower because the blocks had glitched and weren't letting me move them and when I came back I just had to sprint through.

Costlemark was the one I was on, so that's good to know.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Flying Regalia seems like more trouble than its worth. Do you even get AP for doing it?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Deified Data posted:

Flying Regalia seems like more trouble than its worth. Do you even get AP for doing it?

You don't, but it's faster than driving/slower than loading screens and Ignis does some rudimentary auto...pilot?? So if you're like me and hate loading screens it's still a good opportunity to get up and stretch for a minute and get some water

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
A flying goddamn comfortable convertible sedan that seats 4 was what excited me the most out of all the content shown in those stupid trailers, and you're telling me they made it lovely? How could they gently caress that up

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

air- posted:

drat that sucks! He should be to the right of the diner. When you walk up to him, it puts you back in the diner and all the NPC's who gave you items will then give you Oracle Ascension Coins (so up to 14)

Is it worth doing the post game dungeons to get Ezma there before fighting Adamantoise? That fight and Gladio's survival skill are the only trophies for platinum and it'd be nice to get it dusted off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

A flying goddamn comfortable convertible sedan that seats 4 was what excited me the most out of all the content shown in those stupid trailers, and you're telling me they made it lovely? How could they gently caress that up

It's pretty clear that they didn't have the time to work out an actual flying car that can land anywhere and so they ended up making it only able to land on roads and one or two other places and the end result is just unsatisfying as poo poo.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is it worth doing the post game dungeons to get Ezma there before fighting Adamantoise? That fight and Gladio's survival skill are the only trophies for platinum and it'd be nice to get it dusted off.

I believe you just have to have talked to the NPC to get them in the diner. I don't have Steyliff and Costlemark menace versions done and I got all 14.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty clear that they didn't have the time to work out an actual flying car that can land anywhere and so they ended up making it only able to land on roads and one or two other places and the end result is just unsatisfying as poo poo.

Like, they could've done it like the saints row VTOL that switches from flying to hovering/landing by pressing a button... it would've been simple and cool...
I don't think I have it in me to play this game anymore

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Like, they could've done it like the saints row VTOL that switches from flying to hovering/landing by pressing a button... it would've been simple and cool...

They could have done that but it would have massively increased the QA time because now they'd have to check every possible place the car can land to make sure it doesn't make the game explode or cause horrifying glitches. The method they chose basically is the simplest way to work it out because they limit where it can land without crashing and game overing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Excuse me, our President is going to spend the next 4-8 years getting in wars on Twitter, nobody will forget it very soon unless it is due to the oncoming nuclear death.

Make Fantasies Final Again

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They could have done that but it would have massively increased the QA time because now they'd have to check every possible place the car can land to make sure it doesn't make the game explode or cause horrifying glitches. The method they chose basically is the simplest way to work it out because they limit where it can land without crashing and game overing

Surely the answer to this is to not include a half arsed flying car to disappoint people? I definitely wouldn't have been upset without it. I've used it literally once to get the trophy to pop.

air- posted:

I believe you just have to have talked to the NPC to get them in the diner. I don't have Steyliff and Costlemark menace versions done and I got all 14.

That makes sense, first time I went there, Sania was there and I still don't have the griffon feather.

Traverse
Oct 13, 2012

It's a game where you're trying to find a girl that you communicate with by writing notes in a book and giving them to a dog, and also everyone has smartphones

To be honest, I thought the smartphones were an Insomnian exclusive thing? Cindy mentions a few time in her sidequest chain that the Crown City has had better quality goods, to the point that things made 10-20 years ago are still better than anything modern made outside the city. But ever since the Wall went up, no one's on the outside has had access to them. I figured the development and distribution of cellphones fell under that.

Though it does raise the question of how they're still working...

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Wait, so what happened to diamond weapon or that knight who kills your dad? Do you fight them in post-story content?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Should have programmed the car to turn into hovermode and land at parking spots and only parking spots.

also to let you shoot down Imperial aircraft and flying monsters for money like they did in Type 0.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 13, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Surely the answer to this is to not include a half arsed flying car to disappoint people? I definitely wouldn't have been upset without it. I've used it literally once to get the trophy to pop.

One of the major loud angry complaints about FFXIII was that it didn't have an airship. Like it was such a major complaint that Nomura promised FFVersusXIII would have an airship before he said basically anything else about the game. If they hadn't included an airship they would have disappointed a lot of people too. It's kind of a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People are absolutely crazy about airships, and going further back I remember people slamming FFX and XII for having airships which were effectively teleport menus.

With cars finally returning that makes Canoes, I believe, the only non returning controllable vehicle in the franchise.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Hovercraft?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It'd be really easy to fix the flying in this game though, just make it faster and guide you safely into a landing any time you hit a button over a road/landing spot rather than forcing you to play a flight simulator minigame with instant game over for your first mistake.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Flying Regalia" sounds like it would be an awesome acid jazz track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think the game would have been better had the invasion actually been in the game, not an offscreen thing in a movie.

Honestly I have to agree. The narrative would feel much more natural if it allowed itself to have few chapters of the characters not being driven by an off-screen cataclysm

If it was more of a packed downward spiral of "gotta save my dad, oh poo poo he's dead gotta at least save Luna, oh poo poo she's dead too, everything's terrible but let's at least try to get the crystal back" it would've packed more of a punch.

• Locked thread