Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Nature abhors an inability to do the shocker.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Nature abhors an inability to do the shocker.

Quarians have a cloaca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

marshmallow creep posted:

There are also reports saying we can count on a "magnificent seven" recruitable characters at launch, including Drack the Krogan and our friend the turian. There's also something mentioning a biotic named "Cora" which may be the real name of our asari friend Peebee. And of course we have Liam, who is supposed to be a human police officer that signed up with Ryder. That leaves two or three unaccounted for so far.

I think the current assumption is that Cora is the female human companion that you start the game with, the old survey leaks that have mostly come true mentioned a blonde woman as a squad member. They haven't shown either human companion without their helmets on yet though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Quarians have a cloaca

I thought that was salarians?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think the current assumption is that Cora is the female human companion that you start the game with, the old survey leaks that have mostly come true mentioned a blonde woman as a squad member. They haven't shown either human companion without their helmets on yet though.

Yeah, so we have

Male Human
Female Human
Turian
Asari
Krogan

I'm guessing we'll finally get another Salarian as a squaddie and then probably another dude human. A Quarian if they really, really want to appeal to the Talimancers or a new Andromedan race as a secret late-game option.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Yeah, looking into it a little further the voice actor for Scott Ryder identified a trio of characters as being Ryder, Cora and Liam, and "Cora" in this case was not wearing anything resembling Peebee's outfit. I have listed Cora as a separate person in the OP.

There's also one story that mentions a "Reyes" as recruitable but nothing corroborating it. Might be Cora's last name?

I'm holding out that the last companion is probably a recruitable Kett. By the same token, I'm hoping they pull a Loghain.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 13, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Quarians have a cloaca

That's Salarians

:amphibiowned:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Quarians have a cloaca

Even if you were right, the important thing is that Shepard doesn't.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Quarians have a cloaca

same

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Apparently the pirate lady from the gameplay trailer was supposed to be one of the leaders on the Nexus, so things probably went pretty tits up before Ryder and friends got to Andromeda. Unless this was already talked about in which case ignore me, I guess.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Apparently the pirate lady from the gameplay trailer was supposed to be one of the leaders on the Nexus, so things probably went pretty tits up before Ryder and friends got to Andromeda. Unless this was already talked about in which case ignore me, I guess.
Yea. The thing seems to have been that the arcs got delayed/ are mia, so a lot of stuff went to poo poo on the nexus.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

There's a book coming our that apparently details how things went to poo poo on the Nexus.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
You know what really went to poo poo in between the time the Arcs launched and the time of that footage? Mass Effect lmao

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

You know what really went to poo poo in between the time the Arcs launched and the time of that footage? Mass Effect lmao

:boom:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
"Okay, get this, we're going to do a new Mass Effect game."

"Okay."

"And it's going to be about exploring a whole new galaxy."

"Sure, I follow. Guess that's inevitable."

"But all the old species are going to be there."

"...alright."

"And there's going to be rockhead aliens - sort of like Protheans but not really. And there's going to be a bit of a mystery about these ancient artifacts."

"Can I just-"

"But the big twist is that the player arrives later than the people who were put on the journey after they left, so, like, we've got these built up colonies with all the familiar faces. But also new faces, like Sloane Kelly, who I think you're going to love."

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Squad:

Male Human: The ex-cop. So he's gonna be kind of like a tough, streetwise dude who wanted adventure. Over the course of the game you can convince him not to be racist.
Female Human: Love interest. Antagonistic and challenges your choices until you pick the "nice" dialogue option to her three times.
Female Turian: She'll be tough and by-the-book and have almost no other defining characteristics.
Asari: Named "PeeBee", looks stupid. Gonna be peppy, young, eager to prove herself. Will hilariously activate one of the ancient alien artifacts due to excessive curiosity.
Krogan: Iron Bill or whatever. He'll be gruff and good in a fight but also sensitive and be all like "why can't people think of my people as more than just violent killers?" His loyalty mission will be negotiating peace between his clan and like some other one.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
According to his squadmate icon, Liam has anime hair and goggles:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Turians have a cloaca

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

There's a book coming our that apparently details how things went to poo poo on the Nexus.

I tried a mass effect book once, I will not be doing so again

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just read through some pages here, I'd like to add I like all the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games (couple complaints of course), and I hope to see several more of these. And I would like a Mass Effect game where I have a huge beard mmkay

(Or unremovable sunglasses)

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Do we know anything about the dlc schedule yet or is that the cart before the horse at this point?

I only ask because other sites say that each dragon age sequel has launched just after the last mass effect dlc and I just beat dragon age and want to know how long I'm gonna be waiting

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Do we know anything about the dlc schedule yet or is that the cart before the horse at this point?

I only ask because other sites say that each dragon age sequel has launched just after the last mass effect dlc and I just beat dragon age and want to know how long I'm gonna be waiting

Probably a while. I think Citadel came out around a year after 3 released.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
One of the books is being written by N.K. Jemisin who won the Hugo Award so it should probably be at least decent?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

• SAM is "broader" than EDI and supposed to be a "permanent part of your character." This raises questions because AI were illegal as hell which is why EDI was made by a criminal organization, but SAM is just...part of you. Did the effects of Synthesis somehow reach Ryder in dark space? Are we going to be loading SAM into an anatomically correct android body and making out with him?

quote:

SAM handles a number of things as well as your vessel, and is connected to you permanently. It was also revealed that it was previously connected to your father Alec. According to Condominas SAM is “more of a partner than EDI was – you’re way closer emotionally to SAM.”

"Your father had better endurance in bed, Ryder."

quote:

• There was apparently a cut squadmate! I hadn't heard anything about this, but apparently they decided since this guy had the least content to him they would drop him as a squaddie entirely and use the resources to beef up the loyalty missions of other companions. They already bragged that the squadmate with the least amount of lines/content in this game has more of those than the squaddies with the most of either in ME3 (or DAI if I remember the quote right).
RIP Jenkins Jr.

quote:

• They believe they can have the game finished by a 'certain date' but don't want to pressure the team by telling anyone what it is.
Please be April 1st, and also please be 3rd Street Saints In Space.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Probably a while. I think Citadel came out around a year after 3 released.

Makes sense. gently caress am I stuck with Destiny until March? :negative:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Makes sense. gently caress am I stuck with Destiny until March? :negative:

From the sound of things, you could also decide to play a game that is actually good for once. Might I suggest

Hitman?

Pattonesque posted:

One of the books is being written by N.K. Jemisin who won the Hugo Award so it should probably be at least decent?

For real, I'd recommend people give The Fifth Season a try. I had fun with it and it was a pretty easy read.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Will Andromeda have a companion app for smartphones that allows gear juggling and maybe some other features so I can assign timed side quests mini games at work and stuff?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

From the sound of things, you could also decide to play a game that is actually good for once. Might I suggest

Hitman?

That any good? I played like two hours of hit man 4 or something a couple years ago and never came back. I play a game obsessively for weeks and then never touch it again, with the exception of Destiny (or the old halos).

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

That any good? I played like two hours of hit man 4 or something a couple years ago and never came back. I play a game obsessively for weeks and then never touch it again, with the exception of Destiny (or the old halos).

I had a lot of fun playing through the story recently. It's less like Absolution (the most recent one) and more like Blood Money (the one on PS2 and OG Xbox). Each level is a large area where you can wander around and figure out how you want to get at the target and you get a decent amount of freedom in terms of assassination methods. Plus the developers are continuously adding new contracts on the maps, so there's more and more stuff to do. If you aren't sure, I think you can get the tutorial and the first mission for like, $15 and I'm sure the whole thing will go on sale some time this holiday season.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

[*]SAM is "broader" than EDI and supposed to be a "permanent part of your character." This raises questions because AI were illegal as hell which is why EDI was made by a criminal organization, but SAM is just...part of you. Did the effects of Synthesis somehow reach Ryder in dark space? Are we going to be loading SAM into an anatomically correct android body and making out with him?

Reading up on the wiki and the codex, I'm pretty sure AIs are technically legal, if you're willing to jump through a billion hoops and have the council look into your underwear drawer at all hours. It's just a massive pain in the rear end, with only four companies licensed to do it.

So, having an AI on a trip out of the galaxy is possible, especially since the Citadel is likely to view it as "Well, it's only your own stupid asses getting killed, so... have fun." Doesn't seem like that bad a sign.

Sloane Kelly, though...

I mean, even aside from the chief security officer going pirate, she's hitting a lot of alarms in 30 seconds of screen time. It's possible she'll explode 45 seconds after that, but if you have to deal with her on a regular basis, that's not encouraging.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Sloane Kelly Launch Trailer: Now who's the badass biotic bitch, bitch?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
No matter how awkward it is, I'm gonna jump straight into ME: Andromeda directly after finishing my next ME trilogy playthrough. Knowing there's something that comes after the horrible ME 3 ending is going to make it so much more palatable.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait to play another game that just dumps you into a story that feels like its a quarter of the way through being told because of books.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

FronzelNeekburm posted:

"Your father had better endurance in bed, Ryder."

That quote about us being more connected emotionally to SAM is interesting because I hope they actually create that connection with the player instead of just saying that it was your dad's AI and you've known it a long time so you care about it, read the tie in novel about Alec Ryder to learn more. The reason why the players connected with EDI in Mass Effect 2 is that they met and grew to like and trust her along with Shepard as the game went on.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I did not like or trust EDI

e: mostly because of Joker though

who I also did not like

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Tricia Helfer is cool as gently caress so EDI is okay in my book.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I like the idea of having a permanent AI sidekick to talk to.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I can't wait for the loyalty mission where SAM asks you to help it hook up with Avina.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Even VIs want some of that blue alien strange.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

poisonpill posted:

Squad:

Male Human: The ex-cop. So he's gonna be kind of like a tough, streetwise dude who wanted adventure. Over the course of the game you can convince him not to be racist.
Female Human: Love interest. Antagonistic and challenges your choices until you pick the "nice" dialogue option to her three times.
Female Turian: She'll be tough and by-the-book and have almost no other defining characteristics.
Asari: Named "PeeBee", looks stupid. Gonna be peppy, young, eager to prove herself. Will hilariously activate one of the ancient alien artifacts due to excessive curiosity.
Krogan: Iron Bill or whatever. He'll be gruff and good in a fight but also sensitive and be all like "why can't people think of my people as more than just violent killers?" His loyalty mission will be negotiating peace between his clan and like some other one.

loving SPOILERS gawd.

You forgot substitute not-EDI AI thing that you can somehow gently caress, is also preorder DLC probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They should have just given us what we all really wanted - a Buck Rogers skinned Mass Effect game.