Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Invisible Handjob posted:

good call he died in an explosion of pus

I mean, it could happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Modest Mao posted:

influence to breeding means you divide the influence by the breeding. Like if you have a lot of influence and a lot of breeding it's just as good as little influence and little breeding.

I did not propose this system, other posters merely stated that holding up and out breeding other cultures means your impacts are less important

so I am wondering then which culture's influence isn't diluted

half the world worships the jewish god but only like 6 million of them are jews themselves that's p good

I think most of the thread is saying I doesn't matter how many people there are, it's about how much your culture spreads spreads.

You're arguing the strength of a culture is related solely to how it influences itself and how quickly it can out breed other cultures which is pretty sad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nomadologique posted:

jews are pound for pound the most influential ethnic/cultural group in the world, there isn't anyone anywhere close

not only do people "worship the jewish god" but the modern (europeanized) world is the world according to the abrahamic invention

the real jewish god is the confluence of anthropomorphism and resentment-morality that, in contact with greek humanism, made scientifism possible and reshaped everything

"westerners" want to believe they're more greek than "oriental" but the reverse is true; we are far more jewish than greek

the abrahamic invention is not only the premier invention in world history, it is probably the only genuine invention; everything else is more or less more of the same

Feeling shame is one thing the Chinese as a whole seem to lack. They'll do anything to save a buck or get ahead. And if they get caught, they blame others as much as possible to minimize face loss. Japan figured out the self loathing game and they've contributed to a number of smaller technological developments at this point. QED Shame => technological advancement => regional and global influence and impact

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
it still seems to me like Chinese memes were so strong as to make 1/5 the world identify as Chinese and you're all discounting it because 'yeah but only chinese are chinese so who cares'

also lol @ using breeding as an argument against a country with a one child policy (recently two) for most of its inhabitants

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if we want to measure which cultures have the most influence the best record is coins.

check out this ancient Chinese coin:

now check out this ancient Roman coin:

now lets take a look at modern Chinese coins:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Outrail posted:

I think most of the thread is saying I doesn't matter how many people there are, it's about how much your culture spreads spreads.

You're arguing the strength of a culture is related solely to how it influences itself and how quickly it can out breed other cultures which is pretty sad.
The prime cultures for spread are norse, aztec and mongol because of their special events

no wait is this the ck2 thread

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"wow 113 new posts about China, can't wait to read this"

*second post is a butthurt Modest Mao post*

"Ugh gdammit"

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Rutibex posted:

I will slit your throat

also what the gently caress is that 20 coin

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Rutibex posted:

if we want to measure which cultures have the most influence the best record is coins.

check out this ancient Chinese coin:

now check out this ancient Roman coin:

you can't put the second one on a piece of rope tho?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nomadologique posted:

you can't put the second one on a piece of rope tho?

those coin ropes must have made great weapons for ancient Chinese street toughs

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rutibex posted:

Triggering, and also you never ever see the 20 dollar coin around. I have never seen a 2000 dollar bill here as well. 200s are rarer to see than 2 dollar US bills.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i understand that ancient greeks too poor for wallets often carried around small change in their mouth, so swallowing your lunch money when you saw your hot neighbor naked at the nearby stream was a real risk.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

P-Mack posted:

Anyway my Chinese teacher decided to phone it in last class and instead of drilling vocab he shared a bunch of poems from the Tang dynasty. I thought they were pretty cool and I look forward to exploring more of China's rich cultural heritage.

You may have found the literal one in a billion Mainlanders who cares about his own actual high culture !!!!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the line of chinese coins on the top is cool bc it looks like that dude's head is rotating

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Modest Mao posted:

it still seems to me like Chinese memes were so strong as to make 1/5 the world identify as Chinese and you're all discounting it because 'yeah but only chinese are chinese so who cares'

also lol @ using breeding as an argument against a country with a one child policy (recently two) for most of its inhabitants

Yeah ok you're right, I apologize.

China is the most influential culture in the world right now. India poised to take global cultural domination in 2030 in time to claim an Indian century.

The other cultures can only salivate.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i read the chinese classic novels a few years back and they were awesome, china at least wasn't slouching on literature, man did those decadent bourgeois read a lot of poetry to each other

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GoutPatrol posted:

Triggering, and also you never ever see the 20 dollar coin around. I have never seen a 2000 dollar bill here as well. 200s are rarer to see than 2 dollar US bills.

I've never seen a NT$1/2 coin either, didn't even know those or 20s were real. I did see 2000s once! A whole stack of them! So banks have them, at least.

I feel like this thread went to a weird place.

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
Haier post more influential Jewish breeding stories

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It is I who peed in China's coke.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

You may have found the literal one in a billion Mainlanders who cares about his own actual high culture !!!!
unfortunately not, he's from Taiwan (第一)

nomadologique posted:

i read the chinese classic novels a few years back and they were awesome, china at least wasn't slouching on literature, man did those decadent bourgeois read a lot of poetry to each other

I have a really nice bilingual edition of Three Kingdoms, and am in the market for something similar for Water Margin. Anybody know if there's a particular translation or edition that is generally recommended?

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 13, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

P-Mack posted:

I have a really nice bilingual edition of Three Kingdoms, and am in the market for something similar for Water Margin. Anybody know if there's a particular translation or edition that is generally recommended?

I was looking for one a few months ago and this is what I found.
https://www.amazon.com/Water-Margin-Outlaws-Classic-Classics/dp/0804840954
It wasn't translated many times and the first or second time it was done it had issues with a very literal translation.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

do it on my face posted:

Haier post more influential Jewish breeding stories
I have no Jewish stories because I am not Jewish. I would like to visit Israel someday, just for kicks and to maybe get some stones thrown at me or something.
On a side note: My dark hair is due to my BLOND ARYAN father not realizing the black-haired, dark-eyed girl he married was the product of a Native American reservation. He said he was really confused why there so many alcoholics on her side of the family until he found out that they were native. I don't know how he didn't figure it out beforehand, but the native side of my family have a very strong "don't ask, don't tell" policy about it due to some racist events that caused them to worry white Americans would judge them too much or something. My grandfather told me a million stories about his youth, never once mentioning he was herded into a plot of land and forced to live there and, to escape and get education and work, he and the whole family had to change their names to generic white people names and move down to a border-town so people would just think they were half-Mexican or something and not think too much about it.
We found a list of everyone's names before the change and I was kinda disappointed that nobody wanted Running Bear as a name for life. Running Bear was changed to Charles. So lame. He gave my mom a very white girl name and when she turned 18 she legally changed it to a native name and he lost much face. She got all serious about the roots thing and started going to pow wows and I had to grow up hearing about brother owl and the spider people, and as a kid I thought nature was my friend and rabbits were going to talk to me at any moment. I made several native friends from different tribes and it was pretty cool. One of my best friends from childhood had parents that were obsessed with the Trails of Tears and their entire house was covered in paintings of natives being forced to march at gun point by white guys on horses. His mom was crazy about eating only native-style recipes and I'd walk in and she'd ask me if I wanted beaver stew and I'd gag.

EDIT: When I tell Chinese about that side of my family, I get the same response every time - "Oh... can you tell me more about where your father's family is from in Europe?" If it's brown, it doesn't count!

----

My current China story for today is that I walked into my bathroom a bit ago and found my back scrubber had perfectly fallen into the squatter and was covered in poop. I did not do this. I don't know how it happened. I brought it from the USA and it had to be immediately thrown out. RIP.

Haier fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 13, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Poop girl broke into your house and used your scrubber to dredge up your poop from the tank and take it home.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/808297983246823426

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I wish the UK was like that about the USA, just can't get over it and demands the rest of the world play along or else it'll express hurt feelings.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I wish the UK was like that about the USA, just can't get over it and demands the rest of the world play along or else it'll express hurt feelings.

the UK is like this about the falkland islands

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Rutibex posted:

the UK Argentina is like this about the falkland islands

Fixed, considering the Falkland Islands voted to remain in the UK.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

I was looking for one a few months ago and this is what I found.
https://www.amazon.com/Water-Margin-Outlaws-Classic-Classics/dp/0804840954
It wasn't translated many times and the first or second time it was done it had issues with a very literal translation.

that's the one i have, but be warned, it's the 70 chapter edition instead of the 120 chapter (or however many) it ends when the bandits convert back to good guys and doesn't have them helping out the emperor

i never read the "good guy" chapters, just didn't feel like finding another version and reading almost double the length of what i'd already read

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Haier posted:

My current China story for today is that I walked into my bathroom a bit ago and found my back scrubber had perfectly fallen into the squatter and was covered in poop. I did not do this. I don't know how it happened. I brought it from the USA and it had to be immediately thrown out. RIP.

ccp agents.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tintin In China's Tibet

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Haier posted:

succumb to the siren song of xiao riben and get a salux cloth

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rutibex posted:

those coin ropes must have made great weapons for ancient Chinese street toughs

Dunno about weapons but actually the coins were used to make scale armor. The Tlingit in the Pacific Northwest did it and I think it happened other places too.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if china is so great why are they so sensitive HUH

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

nomad2020 posted:

Fixed, considering the Falkland Islands voted to remain in the UK.

Down on some of the Argentinian borders they have globes with massively outsized Falkland islands and huge signs declaring that the Islands belong to Argentina.

I don't think many brits know or care about the Falklands. I don't think 90% of Argentinians care about the Falklands, I doubt the Falklands really care either because it's just rocks and bushes and sheep. Except for the few people for whom it's a very big important deal because reasons.

So it's not just China that gets lovely about losing realistically pointless but symbolically vital islands off their main landmass.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 13, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Outrail posted:

Down on some of the Argentinian borders they have globes with massively outsized Falkland islands and huge signs declaring that the Islands belong to Argentina.

I don't think many brits know or care about the Falklands. I don't think 90% of Argentinians care about the Falklands, I doubt the Falklands really care either because it's just rocks and bushes and sheep.

Nah the actual people that have lived there for generations are very concerned about it and strongly want to remain British citizens and not be invaded by what ever the most recent failed lovely dicatorship at the time needs a publicity stunt to please some nationalists.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Baronjutter posted:

Nah the actual people that have lived there for generations are very concerned about it and strongly want to remain British citizens and not be invaded by what ever the most recent failed lovely dicatorship at the time needs a publicity stunt to please some nationalists.

Well yeah, but if the unstable (sort of) people across the water would just leave them alone and stop being a weird creepy ex about the whole thing they wouldn't give a poo poo.

I'm bad at making points.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Chinese fashion has had some interesting influences on the world, Russian fur trappers hunted mink to near extinction in their territories to line the robes of Chinese officials and when the Bering expedition brought back seal hides those were deemed an acceptable substitute. So after the first wave of fairly peaceful explorers Aleuts got enslaved by Russian fur trappers so they could sell furs to the Chinese. Thankfully that fell out of fashion, but then they set up fox breeding operations on the islands and some escaped and as an invasive predator they've endangered many native bird populations.

Grand Fromage posted:

Dunno about weapons but actually the coins were used to make scale armor. The Tlingit in the Pacific Northwest did it and I think it happened other places too.

The Tlingit were always goofy motherfuckers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

this is the armor from some kind of bad rear end ancient chinese King of Thieves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Is anyone else super stoked on The Great Wall (长城) coming out this week in China? I can't wait to see the laowai save the day.

Also it's weird as heck that it comes out Dec. 16 in China, and Feb 17 in the US.
I'll be going to see it, maybe next week.

• Locked thread