Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Unctuous Cretin posted:

When you enter a scene, turn around and look right next to the entrance. There's a stake with a number of skulls on it.

Thanks a bunch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I really like about this latest balance pass is I can now spam earthquakes in melee with my shieldmage and not get interrupted all the time by the 4 bandits poking me with halberds.

It's the small things that make all the difference.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I'm really digging how having the flaming bagpipes equipped cause my character to burst into spouting flames whenever any sort of animation is triggered.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Next release update imminent: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=65716

TL;DR version: Lots of major systems changes, some polishes, xmas stuff, various actual updated bits of content.

I suppose the new Midras Ruins and "how magic works on things in combat" are probably the most obvious dot points but really there is a lot to chew on and process.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Every single release adds stuff that make me really wonder about the developers.

quote:

Glancing Blow: Duration has been increased by a factor of 3X.

What the fuuuuuuck?

Glancing blow is a buff that increases your avoidance but is consumed when you are hit. The problem with glancing blow is that the amount of defense it provides is worth less than the GCD it costs you. Things that would make glancing blow worth using: taking it off the GCD, giving it multiple charges, making it automatically avoid instead of just providing a % increase to avoidance. This... I don't even know what the goal here was. I can confidently say that I've never had a problem with glancing blow not being consumed in time. The duration is like 15 seconds already, this makes the duration longer than the CD by a substantial margin.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So, still no movement on aggro, and either they forgot to mention or didn't include the main complaint that I thought was driving the resistance feature which is that there was no way to mitigate any PVE mob magic at all, and none of the spells that claimed to do that worked. Defensive stance now provides more physical mitigation to heavy armor users and less to light armor users, but air/death/fire fizzle is now higher for heavy armor users and lower for light armor users. Death decay is now up to 12 hours from 4. They're trying to add crafting specialization by making good recipes not discoverable and the actual recipe items hard to find. Pretty sure that's going to end in tears. The coto full repair cost now increases exponentially as you full-repair the item more times. That's probably good for the economy.

Welp, see you again next month.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

30.5 Days posted:

Pretty sure that's going to end in tears.
That's been the outcome of this game from the beginning.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
hey lum, convince your boss to drop the steam sale price to $10.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Freakazoid_ posted:

hey lum, convince your boss to drop the steam sale price to $10.

Yeah, I'd pull the trigger then.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
There's another telethon today starting in 90 minutes. Spend $5 in the addon store and get whatever ridiculous prizes they promise as they reach goals.

Edit: /pukeblood is $5

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 28, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Anoia posted:

Yeah, I'd pull the trigger then.

This is a common fantasy among those who invest in SoTA, but you must resist it and live a long happy life.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

extra stout posted:

This is a common fantasy among those who invest in SoTA, but you must resist it and live a long happy life.

The point is I'm likely never gonna buy it cause it'll never get that low.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

If you could send a single message to Richard Garriott, what would it be? I've got a direct channel to the boy but we need to be civil.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
lol

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Strontosaurus posted:

If you could send a single message to Richard Garriott, what would it be? I've got a direct channel to the boy but we need to be civil.

Ultima Online taught me everything I ever needed to know.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Huzanko posted:

Ultima Online taught me everything I ever needed to know.

hello neighbor

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Strontosaurus posted:

How many more years until SOTA is outta alpha?

asking for a friend.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Can we kill Lord British in SOTA too?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Strontosaurus posted:

Ask him why out of every game I've backed his is the only one I can't get a refund on.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Ask him if he ever learned how to load any of his guns other than the uzi

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Strontosaurus posted:

Freakazoid_ posted:

drop the price to $10.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Strontosaurus posted:

zxkuqyb

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I just logged in to refresh my house. I last played in August? I think. In the fifteen minute journey from Elysium Mines to my house in Estgard I noticed that there are roaming encounters on the world map, moving poo poo around in your inventory makes sounds now, bandits sound different, and women NPCs make weird sounds at random.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

I just logged in to refresh my house. I last played in August? I think. In the fifteen minute journey from Elysium Mines to my house in Estgard I noticed that there are roaming encounters on the world map, moving poo poo around in your inventory makes sounds now, bandits sound different, and women NPCs make weird sounds at random.

Hows he melee combat? Any improvements?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Do you need to visit your house to refresh it? I thought logging in was enough.

Are there players around still?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

Hows he melee combat? Any improvements?

The only fighting I did was against green bandits that caught me on the road. I didn't notice any big change. The sound effects are better.

yoloer420 posted:

Do you need to visit your house to refresh it? I thought logging in was enough.

Are there players around still?

Yes, you need to log in. No, Estgard is still vacant (has a lot of houses, though) of players, but the Path of Courage still isn't done yet. I would have to go to Owl's Head or Brittany to get an idea of the player count.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Node posted:

The loving 'worried' sound effect with the hand wringing is terrible. Sounds like a giant mosquito.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
You can always check http://steamcharts.com/app/326160

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Those numbers look bad.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Strontosaurus posted:

Buy the rights to ultima and go back to making single player games.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Strontosaurus posted:

Name! Job! Bye!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm changing my vote to tell him "vendor buy bank guards I will take thee"

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Strontosaurus posted:

If you could send a single message to Richard Garriott, what would it be?

STOP SENDING ME SO MANY BUGS

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

A lot of players don't add their accounts to steam because then the accounts aren't re-sellable.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Hey Lum good to hear from you again. How are things shaping up over at Portalarium?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Strontosaurus posted:

Start again

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm looking at the current steam sale and the game still isn't $10.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=67741

That clockwork armor might just be one of the best suits of fantasy armor I've ever seen.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=67741

That clockwork armor might just be one of the best suits of fantasy armor I've ever seen.

It looks like Ren fair garbage but then again that describes Garriot and this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Gildiss posted:

It looks like Ren fair garbage but then again that describes Garriot and this game.

But you can tune into your favorite radio stations while playing this amazing game.:downs: