Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Because you can simply decide that God meant this to be something you need to do to further His divine plan. I mean otherwise He'd have stopped you, right? Plus then you bury the people who you've oppressed and don't need to think about them, because you won and have been forgiven.

It's a very compelling contradiction, the problem of evil with an omnibenevolent God. The Man Who Was Thursday is one very witty and enjoyable metaphor about a detective who is sent on a quest to find a philosophical terrorist mastermind, who discovers at the end that the mastermind is also the one who sent him on his quest. It is not a perfect story by a perfect man, but it was an important part of my personal development and many others, I suspect.

For me it comes down to considering the immediate and long term implications of asking, "Why be good, when evil is accessible?"

Another good story about sin and evil is Westworld, which is definitely worth a binge on HBO Now, which has a free month offer.

quote:

Even if there is a heaven and it's perfect and you don't get to go I doubt that is much good for the oppressed. Especially if they don't even believe in a heaven and would actually just prefer to not be being oppressed thank you.

That is an appropriate request, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

zonohedron posted:

Remember that "stop suffering" might entail "stop free will" - if I hit you in the face, it's going to hurt your face, unless God prevents me from hitting you; or God could prevent my hand making contact with your face from causing pain, but then that interferes with causes having their normal effect.

Your will hasn't been restricted in that situation, though, just your ability to make your will into reality. Which, well, the world already does that to us all the time.

Caufman posted:

Another good story about sin and evil is Westworld, which is definitely worth a binge on HBO Now, which has a free month offer.

Westworld is all about rooting for the robots to kill their gods and take their thrones. :black101:

Also (MAJOR season spoilers don't click this if you haven't finished Westworld S1 holy poo poo) it ultimately winds back around to the idea that the only moral option open to someone with absolute power over his creations is for him to die voluntarily (after doing as much as he can to provide for their future) and set them free.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 13, 2016

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Caufman posted:

For me it comes down to considering the immediate and long term implications of asking, "Why be good, when evil is accessible?"

Actually I think in a lot of cases the more pressing question is why be morally good when happiness is more accessible? Why would self-deprivation be a good thing? And that's the thing that modern society struggles with.

The four cardinal virtues; prudence, justice, temperance, courage. That's fuckin' Plato. They're not new ideas.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The saving grace of depression: if you're not going to be happy either way, might as well be good.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Josef bugman posted:

No I do see it as bad, I just don't see it as evil.

your quest here is ultimately pointless (and grossly ethnocentric) because it is based on the 21st-century connotation of the English word "evil". this is a problem because that word did not have its current meaning until the 18th century (if google is correct). it also does not derive directly from any language of the scriptures or the early church. and the word itself does not refer to any specific christian concept. you can keep trying to hammer that square peg into a round hole, i won't stop you, but you also probably won't learn anything useful about christianity

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

your quest here is ultimately pointless (and grossly ethnocentric) because it is based on the 21st-century connotation of the English word "evil". this is a problem because that word did not have its current meaning until the 18th century (if google is correct). it also does not derive directly from any language of the scriptures or the early church. and the word itself does not refer to any specific christian concept. you can keep trying to hammer that square peg into a round hole, i won't stop you, but you also probably won't learn anything useful about christianity

Can I use the word sin yet in the Christianity thread yet.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The saving grace of depression: if you're not going to be happy either way, might as well be good.

I think that was the point of Job; being moral does not guarantee happiness. Or actually the point of most hagiographies.

Wikipedia posted:

During a pilgrimage he was stricken with an unsightly bodily affliction. He became so terribly deformed that he frightened the townspeople. In his twenties, a cell was built for him to protect the local citizens of the village from his appearance. Since he was so holy, his cell was built attached to his church. St. Drogo stayed in his cell without any human contact, except for a small window in which he received the Eucharist and obtained his food. He stayed there for the rest of his life, about forty more years, surviving only on barley, water, and the holy Eucharist.

St. Drogo, patron saint of goons, pray for us.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Josef bugman posted:

Well what else is it? Breaking an oath? Damaging another trust? Making a choice to abandon someone you used to care for? All of those things are, extremely, dickish. However I would argue that they are not evil. Hitting someone you are in a relationship with is, to my mind, far lower on my personal moral scale. Or psychologically abusing someone.

No, actually it is evil, hth.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CountFosco posted:

No, actually it is evil, hth.
Agree. Not good = evil. The rest is logic chopping.

There's lots of names for shades of gray, but none of them are white. They're all less than white and it's just a matter of exactly how not-white it is.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Adultery / cheating is pretty obviously evil it seems to me, you're breaking your vows and trust and hurting your partner. Obviously as The Phlegmatist points out there can be a lot of nuance there in who's at fault and so on, but it's a Not Good thing to do.

On a related subject, what do different traditions teach about fornication? I feel like that's a lot less severe as you're only "harming" yourself.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Actually I think in a lot of cases the more pressing question is why be morally good when happiness is more accessible? Why would self-deprivation be a good thing? And that's the thing that modern society struggles with.

The four cardinal virtues; prudence, justice, temperance, courage. That's fuckin' Plato. They're not new ideas.

Being morally good is happiness. The happiness of our millenia-old consumerist culture pursues is chasing after the wind.

Those for cardinal virtues speak NOTHING of the telos. A demon could be prudent. A complete monster could act in a just way. How many demons show temperance? What could be more courageous than to rebel against God?

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 13, 2016

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Adultery / cheating is pretty obviously evil it seems to me, you're breaking your vows and trust and hurting your partner. Obviously as The Phlegmatist points out there can be a lot of nuance there in who's at fault and so on, but it's a Not Good thing to do.

On a related subject, what do different traditions teach about fornication? I feel like that's a lot less severe as you're only "harming" yourself.

John 4
15 The woman said to him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come here to draw.
16 Jesus said to her, Go, call your husband, and come here.
17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said to her, You have well said, I have no husband:
18 For you have had five husbands; and he whom you now have is not your husband: in that said you truly.

I personally read this as a teaching on fornication. That fornication is essentially a lie. Sexual acts come with emotional love, abiding love, i.e. marriage. To pretend that it's mere physical pleasure and nothing more is to deny the transformative power of the mystery of sexual communion.

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 13, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Your will hasn't been restricted in that situation, though, just your ability to make your will into reality. Which, well, the world already does that to us all the time.

Westworld is all about rooting for the robots to kill their gods and take their thrones. :black101:

Also (MAJOR season spoilers don't click this if you haven't finished Westworld S1 holy poo poo) it ultimately winds back around to the idea that the only moral option open to someone with absolute power over his creations is for him to die voluntarily (after doing as much as he can to provide for their future) and set them free.

I still can't believe they didn't put Tom Waits on the player piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5X4N2exOsU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

Being morally good is happiness. The happiness of our millenia-old consumerist culture pursues is chasing after the wind.

i always find it interesting how a lot of people who talk about "consumerist culture" rarely look beyond the veil of apps, iphones, and jeans and look to the real cause of this so-called "culture of consumption"; namely, capitalism. consumerist culture in this context becomes less about issues of class and poverty and more about scapegoating contemporary morality

but then i'm a former liberation theologian current buddhist who was extremely tired of liberal and neo-liberal theologians who walk close to the reality that capitalism is an evil system which perpetuates class inequalities and all sorts of isms (including racism and sexism) but then take a step back to talk about consumption. as though it's the people who buy the new iphone model that are responsible for the poverty in the 2/3 world! this sort of individualist morality that fails to recognize the structures and systems of inequality are incapable of creating the sort of change necessary to create true equality in the world

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

John 4
15 The woman said to him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come here to draw.
17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said to her, You have well said, I have no husband:
18 For you have had five husbands; and he whom you now have is not your husband: in that said you truly.

I personally read this as a teaching on fornication. That fornication is essentially a lie. Sexual acts come with emotional love, abiding love, i.e. marriage. To pretend that it's mere physical pleasure and nothing more is to deny the transformative power of the mystery of sexual communion.

i don't know the names of 3/4 the people i had sex with. what transformative, emotional communion i had

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

CountFosco posted:

John 4

i think your exegesis here says a lot more about you than it does the text, realtalk

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i think your exegesis here says a lot more about you than it does the text, realtalk

actually, no

pull up a chair, martin luther, I'll play thomas aquinas. have you ever heard of this thing called natural law?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mo Tzu posted:

i always find it interesting how a lot of people who talk about "consumerist culture" rarely look beyond the veil of apps, iphones, and jeans and look to the real cause of this so-called "culture of consumption"; namely, capitalism. consumerist culture in this context becomes less about issues of class and poverty and more about scapegoating contemporary morality

but then i'm a former liberation theologian current buddhist who was extremely tired of liberal and neo-liberal theologians who walk close to the reality that capitalism is an evil system which perpetuates class inequalities and all sorts of isms (including racism and sexism) but then take a step back to talk about consumption. as though it's the people who buy the new iphone model that are responsible for the poverty in the 2/3 world! this sort of individualist morality that fails to recognize the structures and systems of inequality are incapable of creating the sort of change necessary to create true equality in the world

we should get together and talk about conspicuous consumption some time ;)

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

Can I use the word sin yet in the Christianity thread yet.

It would be a sin not to call a sin a sin.

The Phlegmatist posted:

CountFosco posted:

Those for cardinal virtues speak NOTHING of the telos. A demon could be prudent. A complete monster could act in a just way. How many demons show temperance? What could be more courageous than to rebel against God?

I find both of these to be quite right contradictions. A believer is prepared to accept that moral goodness is burdensome, but ultimately liberating.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Phlegmatist posted:

actually, no

pull up a chair, martin luther, I'll play thomas aquinas. have you ever heard of this thing called natural law?

is this the christianity thread version of "google ron paul"

do i need an adult

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Christmunism is best communism. Rah rah rah fight the power and bring down the price of plastic manz

Man, cheating is something evrn when nobody is married or STD-ridden. People get turned into liars, friends have to pick sides, confirmation bias or something rears its ugly head, gossiping intensifies... Its fun/morally bad for everyone

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Phlegmatist posted:

Why is it a good thing? Does stitching yourself into a cloth sack do anything to actually help people who are suffering, or is it just a useful outlet for masochists and those who want to appear pious. Obviously I am being provocative with the last statement, but it's at least partially true, why make yourself unhappy if it's not going to make anyone else happy or their lives better.

They're also balls. Where is generosity? Where's kindness. And what is Justice? Because I can tell you this for nowt, from Platos day down to now it is frequently the imposition of standards of behaviour that those that judge do not believe in, on the judged who try to. Justice is the justification for the excise of power.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

So, from a purely English and modern perspective, which is a worse thing "sin" or "evil", which word has a worse connotation?

The Phlegmatist posted:

I think that was the point of Job; being moral does not guarantee happiness. Or actually the point of most hagiographies.

St. Drogo, patron saint of goons, pray for us.

Absolutely. The problem is that there is always the sop of "It'll be better once you are dead". Which to be fair even none existence sometimes feels like it would be better than current circumstance.

The point of most hagiography I read was "look this king died really horribly fighting with that other king, as his bloodline has run out let's make him a saint", that would be Saint Edmund of Bury.

Deteriorata posted:

Agree. Not good = evil. The rest is logic chopping.

There's lots of names for shades of gray, but none of them are white. They're all less than white and it's just a matter of exactly how not-white it is.

So every time you post on here it's an act of evil. I joke, but it's serious, would you say that posting on SA is a morally good act? If it isn't then it's evil.

I always liked the conjecture that "There are no grey areas, just white thats got grubby"

CountFosco posted:

Bullshit it is.

Mo Tzu posted:

I'd just like to say that I find this very interesting and would like to possibly talk about this later, if you have the time.

Caufman posted:

It would be a sin not to call a sin a sin.

I find both of these to be quite right contradictions. A believer is prepared to accept that moral goodness is burdensome, but ultimately liberating.

Are sins just those things that you "know it when you see it".

I don't know what believers you've met, but mine have been made miserable by the fact that their families do not believe and think that therefore the people who raised them are going to hell. All of them. I find that not simply distasteful and sorrowful, but deeply and patently infuriating.

JcDent posted:

Man, cheating is something evrn when nobody is married or STD-ridden. People get turned into liars, friends have to pick sides, confirmation bias or something rears its ugly head, gossiping intensifies... Its fun/morally bad for everyone

All people are liars. The degree is the part that has changed. It is bad, I'd agree on that.

zonohedron posted:

Remember that "stop suffering" might entail "stop free will" - if I hit you in the face, it's going to hurt your face, unless God prevents me from hitting you; or God could prevent my hand making contact with your face from causing pain, but then that interferes with causes having their normal effect.

Also, what, for you, is evil? I mean, normally I think of the evil/bad distinction being "if I do something that is wrong, knowing that it is wrong, without being coerced into it" is evil (if, perhaps, a tiny evil if it's something like "having one drink more than I should because what I'm drinking tastes good" rather than, say, "shooting nine people at a Bible study"), whereas bad being things like "spending all weekend staggering between toilet and bed because of food poisoning" or "a friend of mine can't get pregnant despite trying for three years".

Why does God not therefore change our evolution as a species to provide a greater sense of connection to other human beings and less of an emphasis on competition and ensuring the best for oneself?

Murder, Rape, Torture, Cruelty and treating other people or yourself as objects. To me that is evil. Bad things are when we break our word, when we act selfishly. Those other things are merely "things that happen". They may be terrible or worse, and the "can't get pregnant despite attempting" would be terrible, but not in a moral way. Unless you want to go full Misotheist.

The Phlegmatist posted:

You're on to something here.

The human mind is incredibly good at rationalizing its own actions. The alcoholic who slowly kills himself while promising he'll quit after just this last time. The philanderer who sleeps around because his wife's a bitch and she's too busy with the kids. The skinhead that curbstomps an Indian immigrant because he's not actually human.

Are they to judge themselves morally correct? "For there is nothing good or bad, but thinking makes it so?"

Well there is no-one judging them now. Again from a personal perspective, they all should be helped, but it is very hard for me (personally) to want to help the latter person. It's like when American troops found some of the camps and gave the inmates rifles and placed the guards in amongst them. That is not morally right, but part of me can't help thinking "Good."

Personally, no I wouldn't judge any of them morally good, and in the last case I'd judge as monstrous. But the problem is it's very hard to judge such people outside of being either better armed or better prepared than they are.

Caufman posted:

-The Man Who Was Thursday-

That is an appropriate request, too.

I'll try and have a read when I have time. I'm still working through "mans search for meaning" at the moment.

Why be good when evil wins is a tragically sentiment, even if accurate.

I don't really watch tv shows much, but I'll give it a go.

Good. I hope it is anyway.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 13, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CountFosco posted:

Being morally good is happiness.
happiness is the movement of the soul in accordance with virtue, that's aristotle

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CountFosco posted:

i disagree wholeheartedly. I was with my ex for eight years and we never married. But I loved them. Plenty of people in shorter-term relationships love each other, you can see it every day. I love the person I'm with right now, even though where we are in our lives doesn't let us get married, but I already promised in front of God to be with them.

Unless you want to define any long term loving relationship as a marriage, which it seems like your statement could be read as. If so, I'm fine with that.

Edit: I think fornication is fine, but I read a lot of medieval/early modern stuff.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 13, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: I think fornication is fine, but I read a lot of medieval/early modern stuff.

Same, its harder to get mad about sex when the pope is having children left and right.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have depression and anxiety, i ain't gettin to sleep tonight so hit me up with whatever you wanna hear about as long as it isn't something i find incredibly boring like liturgy

i'm sorry we get it you all like it high as gently caress, you know some people have like war in their country right

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mo Tzu posted:

i have depression and anxiety, i ain't gettin to sleep tonight so hit me up with whatever you wanna hear about as long as it isn't something i find incredibly boring like liturgy

i'm sorry we get it you all like it high as gently caress, you know some people have like war in their country right

I've got to go do some christmas shopping as I have a day off today, but will speak soon if you want?

Keep safe out there.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

The Phlegmatist posted:

The skinhead that curbstomps an Indian immigrant

Can you not do that? Skinhead is a subculture founded specifically on and by interracial friendship, and even though 80s media has gotten it equated with neo-nazism, it's still incredibly wrong to use the term in this way.

CountFosco posted:

You'll have to elaborate. Sex clearly doesn't let to abiding love in the shape of marriage, or we'd have a LOT more marriages( hell, it'd exceed 100% rather quickly!). I'm non-monogamous, and it is exactly because of the magical properties of love, sexual or otherwise, that I refuse to limit myself in the endeavour.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

So, from a purely English and modern perspective, which is a worse thing "sin" or "evil", which word has a worse connotation?

a good example of sin is how i honestly have a hard time believing you're so dense that you think it's appropriate to ask this question

edit: to be clear, the sin here is on my part, the sin of suspicion and mistrust. also the sin of shitposting

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 13, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

So every time you post on here it's an act of evil. I joke, but it's serious, would you say that posting on SA is a morally good act? If it isn't then it's evil.

I always liked the conjecture that "There are no grey areas, just white thats got grubby"

The act of posting in and of itself is nothing. It is the intent behind the act that makes it sinful or not.

Discussing theology with you is good. Giving advice and encouragement to others is good. Having honest and frank discussions on other subjects is good.

Trolling is sinful. Name-calling is sinful. Being dishonest is sinful.

A pastor of mine once defined sin as "anything that damages relationships - to yourself, to others, or to God." Sin is inherently destructive and divisive, which is what makes it evil.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Ask/Tell > Christianity Thread II: Trolling is a Sin

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do i need an adult

Objection 1. It would seem that you should not kill you're parents, as it is written "honor your father and mother"...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

I've got to go do some christmas shopping as I have a day off today, but will speak soon if you want?

Keep safe out there.
i disagree with you about a lot of things, but this was cool as heck to do and i hope she takes you up on this offer, if it will help her feel better. That's what this thread is about--people wth wildly differing opinions being good to one another.

my thoughts are with you, Mo Tzu

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 13, 2016

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tias posted:

Can you not do that? Skinhead is a subculture founded specifically on and by interracial friendship, and even though 80s media has gotten it equated with neo-nazism, it's still incredibly wrong to use the term in this way.

You're right, should've specified a WPWW neo-nazi skin.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do i need an adult

GOOGLE SAINT THOMAS AQUINAS AND THE FOUR CARDINAL VIRTUES AND THE THREE THEOLOGICAL VIRTUES AND THE NINE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT AND THE TWELVE FRUITS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT CATECHIZE YOURSELF KILL YOU'RE PARENTS THOMAS AQUINAS 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'd vote for zombie Thomas Aquinas, no lie.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
This thread is a sin.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

The Phlegmatist posted:

GOOGLE SAINT THOMAS AQUINAS AND THE FOUR CARDINAL VIRTUES AND THE THREE THEOLOGICAL VIRTUES AND THE NINE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT AND THE TWELVE FRUITS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT CATECHIZE YOURSELF KILL YOU'RE PARENTS THOMAS AQUINAS 2020

aquinas is cool and good, natural law has some interesting things in it as well, but modern natural law theologians are, for the most part, intellectual charlatans in bed with the Protestant right wing. one of the notable exceptions is Germain Grisez, who's intellectually honest and rigorous even though i disagree profoundly with most of his conclusions and find many of them abhorrent. basically just avoid the neo-scholastics in general and hit up the primary sources instead, which in any case are much weirder and more interesting than anything the 20th and 21st centuries have to say about them

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This thread is a sin.

Shitpost boldly

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a good example of sin is how i honestly have a hard time believing you're so dense that you think it's appropriate to ask this question

edit: to be clear, the sin here is on my part, the sin of suspicion and mistrust. also the sin of shitposting

I'm sorry. I just always assumed that sin covers, if you will pardon the obvious rejoinder, "A multitude of sins". Whereas evil always seemed to me, based on my rather clumsy read of it, as an intentional act. I'll bear this in mind for the future.

Deteriorata posted:

The act of posting in and of itself is nothing. It is the intent behind the act that makes it sinful or not.

Discussing theology with you is good. Giving advice and encouragement to others is good. Having honest and frank discussions on other subjects is good.

Trolling is sinful. Name-calling is sinful. Being dishonest is sinful.

A pastor of mine once defined sin as "anything that damages relationships - to yourself, to others, or to God." Sin is inherently destructive and divisive, which is what makes it evil.

I'd like it if the ten commandments had an additional: "THOU SHALT NOT SHITPOST". Youtube areas would be a smoldering wasteland, but it might help matters. I suppose that makes sense. Something I am not too sure about but I do find interesting. Again sorry if I come across as stupid. I am trying.

Bel_Canto posted:

aquinas is cool and good, natural law has some interesting things in it as well, but modern natural law theologians are, for the most part, intellectual charlatans in bed with the Protestant right wing. one of the notable exceptions is Germain Grisez, who's intellectually honest and rigorous even though i disagree profoundly with most of his conclusions and find many of them abhorrent. basically just avoid the neo-scholastics in general and hit up the primary sources instead, which in any case are much weirder and more interesting than anything the 20th and 21st centuries have to say about them

Is that because they are the villains in Deus Ex?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Evil sounds better than sin

Mercyful Fate were evil, Poison is sinful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Evil sounds better than sin

Mercyful Fate were evil, Poison is sinful

Post of the year OOL 2016.

• Locked thread