Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

Persona 4 has more in common with Twin Peaks than I thought, with characters' dark sides and needing to accept them. Plenty to appreciate but plenty that seems like being mysterious for the sake of being inscrutable.

Nah, keep playing, it makes perfect. The concepts are really easy to understand. Persona 4 wasn't really about accepting your dark side, but about being true to yourself and not putting on a personality for other people. This is what the TV and references to TV shows symbolize and why that is such a big theme to the entire game. All of the characters have something that they want to hide from others because they are ashamed of what others will think, but by the end of the game they come to accept that they cannot live that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the invisible difficulty adjustment thing- does Bloodborne do that? Could swear I saw an enemy take less hits to kill once without me doing any upgrades.

I'm onto you FromSoftware! And what's more playing your oppressive-rear end games doesn't make me paranoid at all! Questioning every blind corner and weird tiny noise is definitely a thing I do not do!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Souls games tend to be full of tiny subtle cumulative stat changes- world tendency, humanity, insight all affect you and could build to the point that they change the number of hits an enemy takes.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

precision posted:

It occurred to me last night, with all the statistics about how few people ever finish games they buy and so forth, why hasn't there been a game that tries to embrace this in an organic way?

What I mean is, why not make a game and let the player start at any point in the story? Why should "chapter select" only be unlocked if you beat a game? Why not let players jump around if they want and enjoy the parts they want without being forced to suffer through every ill-conceived concept the game contains? You can do this with books and films, why not games?

Alone in the Dark 2008 had a DVD-style checkpoint and episode/chapter/level selection in the pause menu. You still needed to beat a certain number of them to unlock the ending, though.

I could see it being a good idea for linear cinematic games like Uncharted, but there's no way anything like that would work with RPGs such as The Witcher or Deus Ex.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Monkey Fracas posted:

Speaking of the invisible difficulty adjustment thing- does Bloodborne do that? Could swear I saw an enemy take less hits to kill once without me doing any upgrades.

I'm onto you FromSoftware! And what's more playing your oppressive-rear end games doesn't make me paranoid at all! Questioning every blind corner and weird tiny noise is definitely a thing I do not do!

BB doesn't do any scaling but enemies do sometimes take more damage if they're smacked in the middle of a swing or a dodge.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's a shame Dead Space 3 killed the series because 1 and 2 are great

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Dark Souls 2 does the difficulty scaling thing, in the form of 'if you kill an enemy enough times, it stops respawning'. (Unless you join the covenant that specifically makes the game harder)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

Persona 4 has more in common with Twin Peaks than I thought, with characters' dark sides and needing to accept them. Plenty to appreciate but plenty that seems like being mysterious for the sake of being inscrutable.

Japanese people friggin love twin peaks it ran in syndication at like the 11pm to 2am slot for years and years after it ended on American tv

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I never played Deadly Premonition (on that note). Is it actually fun or does watching the funniest clips of it basically give you the gist?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wizard on a water slide posted:

I never played Deadly Premonition (on that note). Is it actually fun or does watching the funniest clips of it basically give you the gist?

It plays like complete crap and wasn't very fun or interesting to me, clips or a funny playthrough may be better

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The actual game is pretty bad. Just watch Supergreatfriend's LP. It's better than actually playing the game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Deadly Premonition is one of the best Dreamcast games ever made.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

glam rock hamhock posted:

The actual game is pretty bad. Just watch Supergreatfriend's LP. It's better than actually playing the game.

bullshit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GUI posted:

this man gets it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

LawfulWaffle posted:

The first four times you think, "boy, Chapter 13 has to be wrapping up soon," you're going to be wrong. I'm eager to read your thoughts when you finish it.

The chapter so bad that the first thing Tabata says they're going to do in patches is make it "fun to play."

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So what about Pirate's Curse is better than Risky's Revenge

I heard it was better but not why, and I'm not really getting into Risky's for reasons I can't quite identify

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I heard it was better but not why, and I'm not really getting into Risky's for reasons I can't quite identify

No transformations, upgrades that give you better mobility, the art and music are nicer (but not surprising considering it's a hardware jump) and it's a more substantial game. Risky's Revenge was the planned opening of a episodic project that never came to be so its kinda short and simple. Oh also Pirates Curse has 3D boobs that pop out of the screen

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Risky was an episodic game that was never so much finished as much as it was wrapped up when it was made clear they did not make enough money to actually make it episodic. It starts strong IMO but kind of pads itself out after a bit to try and disguise how incomplete it is.

Pirate's Curse is a fully complete game with nice big areas interesting dungeons,, smooth as hell gameplay, fun abilities and gorgeous sprite work. It's just plain better in every way.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

They finished it

e: also while RR has a large interconnected world map with a pretty bad ingame map menu, PC splits itself into chunks by taking place on different islands and is consequently much more pleasant to navigate and backtrack through

Looper fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

both games are epic and great. pirates curse has some insane difficulty in its platforming towards the end too which feels great to master.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

The Steam version might still be extremely unstable. It does have DPfix, made by the guy who made DSfix for Dark Souls, but that doesn't make the game any more stable. It only makes it look better.
If you want the game, try to get it on console unless you wanna try your luck with it and possibly get a Steam refund later.

It's a good game if you like exploring bizarre worlds. It isn't that fun to actually play...
That being said in this quick edit, it has a lot of charm, Zach.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I am 2/3rds of the way through dishonored 2 for the second time playing a different character and in a different chaos level and nothing is different at all. is it just gonna be the ending cinematic that differs? seems like a really bullshit step back if they listened to the people that didn't like the changes chaos made to dishonored.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Deadly premontiion is one of my favorite games ever but i can only stand it on easy and need to rush the guitar asap to make it bearable to return to.

modding out large chunks of the battle stages entirely would be a great reason to play on pc

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Plague Knight is very tricky but his gimmick seems super fun.
Also so far this is way more cute than vanilla Shovel Knight.

Too bad I won't be able to play Specter Knight's campaign when they release it, he is way too spooky.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To clarify, I'm not one of those people that never actually tried playing DP and just assume it was bad. I played it for a handful of hours (I think I got passed the part in the saw mill or whatever it is) and just couldn't take it anymore. I think it was the lack of being able to mark your map in anyways to help in navigating the already pretty awful driving that finally broke me.

The game has a ton of charm but like no part of the gameplay is even remotely fun and if you watch SGF's LP you get to avoid the gameplay and seeing someone play the game in a way that shows everything it has to offer while explaining some of the more obscure references and have a player that generally seems to get York.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GUI posted:

I mean what other games on the cast are actually good besides Powerstone 2 and Nights?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Nasgate posted:

I mean what other games on the cast are actually good besides Powerstone 2 and Nights?

Oh man definitely D2 and Blue Stinger. :haw:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Skies of Arcadia

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Nasgate posted:

Bangai O, Shenmue 1 and 2, Sword of the Berserk, Canon Spike, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soul Caliber, Skies of Arcadia, Space Channel 5 part 1 and 2, Toy Commander, Jet Set Radio, Armada, Ikaruga, Typing of the Dead, Grandia II, Project Justice, Chu Chu Rocket, Virtua Tennis and Crazy Taxi to name a few.

There was no Nights game though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nasgate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrjAVq5VVtY

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Space Channel 5

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

I am 2/3rds of the way through dishonored 2 for the second time playing a different character and in a different chaos level and nothing is different at all. is it just gonna be the ending cinematic that differs? seems like a really bullshit step back if they listened to the people that didn't like the changes chaos made to dishonored.

There's some minor changes in levels and dialogue but for the most part it's the same. The final level is the exact same unlike the first game where it changed significantly depending on your Chaos level.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

Bangai O, Shenmue 1 and 2, Sword of the Berserk, Canon Spike, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soul Caliber, Skies of Arcadia, Space Channel 5 part 1 and 2, Toy Commander, Jet Set Radio, Armada, Ikaruga, Typing of the Dead, Grandia II, Project Justice, Chu Chu Rocket, Virtua Tennis and Crazy Taxi to name a few.

There was no Nights game though

Cool, i genuinely didnt know since i got a Dreamcast well after it died while i was still young enough to not have disposable income. Though im taking it with a grain of salt because Toy Commander was Janky Controls vs Tank Controls:the game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GUI posted:

There's some minor changes in levels and dialogue but for the most part it's the same. The final level is the exact same unlike the first game where it changed significantly depending on your Chaos level.

Having just started the first game, i can see how that might be offputing, because kills raise chaos and like 90%of the upgrades are about murdering people. It takes an upgrade and limited ammo to knock people out if you get seen, and at least for the first assassination, the nonlethal version is a bit of a burden. So the amount of chaos is based more on your skill than letting you make decisions.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nasgate posted:

Having just started the first game, i can see how that might be offputing, because kills raise chaos and like 90%of the upgrades are about murdering people. It takes an upgrade and limited ammo to knock people out if you get seen, and at least for the first assassination, the nonlethal version is a bit of a burden. So the amount of chaos is based more on your skill than letting you make decisions.

The odd murder here and there isn't enough to swing things, you have to try to get the high Chaos ending.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I love Deadly Premonition but yeah there's a reason why the later PS3 and PC versions got rid of the difficulty settings and are locked to the equivalent of easy. If you can stand it I would say at least try to play the game, watching someone else play it just isn't the same.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've been idly digging through my steam library to see what I've got that I forgot about, and - apparently I have Shadow Warrior, the 2013 one - and it seems fun so far.

I then spent a good ten minutes trying to figure out where I'd even picked it up from, as I never got it on purpose, and yep it was from a bundle. :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I watched the end of Twin Peaks and I am not satisfied. I think this must be what fans of Lost felt like.
I guess it's time to watch Fire Walk With Me (the ending won't be satisfying though).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Also Deadly Premonition is great, I honestly wouldn't enjoy it if I just watched an LP. I went in completely blind and discovering things in the game interactively on my own added a lot to it and kept me going, I'd have dropped it half-way through if I was watching somebody else do it. I like games offering something unique and doing it well and DP definitely did that to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Me right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vupRn3PJvg

• Locked thread