Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
As someone holding dual citizenship I would join which ever side is the right side if there ever is a world war.

Thankfully Canada is a country that you can easily get behind whereas I can't really say the same for the prc. If there ever is some natural disaster or catastrophe though I don't mind volunteering and do whatever work for the PLA or whatever Chinese government organization.

My girlfriend is from the mainland and never left the country or studied abroad until 24. Hates communists and living in china even though her it's original home and where most of her family lives. She still misses zhejiang cuisine but she won't trade it for a ticket to leave China. Oh and she got her bachelors in a teaching school so she had to study quite a bit of Chinese literature. Her grandparents and family got shafted by the communists.

Her good friend is an engineer who got her masters in imperial college and is excited to relocate to New Zealand and be an engineer in hydrology. She quit her government job and entered into private industry because she hated dealing with the bureaucracy. In her current job she has to travel around to rural china and provide software support/seminars about flood control. She loving hates the prc. Her family got on the good side of the communists and they all hate Japan. I guess she's the odd one out.

My engineer friend had a few friends who were actually qualified and joined the party when they were university students. Every non government party member I met across china regret joining the party and paying for party membership dues. You can't quit the party once you join unless you get kicked out. It's just a giant deadweight like a case of exterior hemroids. You can't pop them and they chafe the underside of your balls. If you do pop them then a trickle of blood will roll down into your toes and get caked into your soaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

caberham posted:

My engineer friend had a few friends who were actually qualified and joined the party when they were university students. Every non government party member I met across china regret joining the party and paying for party membership dues. You can't quit the party once you join unless you get kicked out. It's just a giant deadweight like a case of exterior hemroids. You can't pop them and they chafe the underside of your balls. If you do pop them then a trickle of blood will roll down into your toes and get caked into your soaks.

Oh poo poo, I always thought it was like some nice little benefit that would give you all sorts of guanxi. I mean, as far as I understood it they scout out talent at high schools and stuff. I didn't know you can't quit though, how do you even get kicked out?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Blue water navy. Shooting War. Line in the sand. Boots. On. The. Ground.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh being a first generation immigrant sucks but your identity and all becomes less significant as time passes on because we all turn into old shriveling fucks like angry dads yelling into the TV set and walk backwards clapping our hands.

Then we start running laps around young people and do pull-ups everyday because we are aware of our old age and decaying health and make all the young girls and boys swoon we we dress well and eat well and know so much about the worldly world.

The last bit is just a lie to make me feel better because I'm sitting in some cramped Japanese toilet phone posting while being blasted by a washlet

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Judakel posted:

Bombs will do.
ask the americans how well that worked for them

Baronjutter posted:

New-worlders often have a hard time with the concept of blood citizenship. It's a very different concept toward citizenship in general.
It's very interesting when you're on the boundry between the two to see how young people have a lot more fluid identity compared to the older "Blood is all" types

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'd support a shooting war to see cabe in a uniform.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You get kicked out of the party from loving up your life and doing criminal poo poo like stealing / killing someone.

Or breaking party policy by having a second kid even when yuh are legally entitled to. Oh and if you are a public school teacher and engage in premarital sex then you get fired for breaking party policy even when you aren't part of the party (but it gets easier to join at that part of life).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

I'd support a shooting war to see cabe in a uniform.

I would totally semen bomb your face everyday.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Invisible Handjob posted:

Did you immigrate to Canada halfway through or were you born in Canada and sent back home as a baby to chill for a while?

Immigrated halfway through. Wasn't a big problem for me, since as caberham said Canada is a great country, though you can kind of see people getting increasingly angry about Chinese new money flowing in.

I'm not sure what the joke is regarding "shooting war". I just meant it as in opposition to a "cold war".

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

angel opportunity posted:

Blue water navy. Shooting War. Line in the sand. Boots. On. The. Ground.

Human wave doctrine. Cyber warfare.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

As someone holding dual citizenship I would join which ever side is the right side if there ever is a world war.

Thankfully Canada is a country that you can easily get behind whereas I can't really say the same for the prc. If there ever is some natural disaster or catastrophe though I don't mind volunteering and do whatever work for the PLA or whatever Chinese government organization.

this dude gets it

bless you, cabe

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Trammel posted:

Do you feel this is this is a different view in regards to the narrative around blood ties to the mainland? Being born with Chinese blood parents gives you particular privileges, and you're automatically considered Chinese if one of your parents is Chinese, no matter where, or what cultural conditions, national identity or core values you may hold.

Indeed, the PRC is insisting that blood ties are the important ties, when determining nationality and travelling in respects to Canadian citizenship for example.

It's important to remember that the Chinese state has been working to conflate Chinese identity with the PRC for decades and has been very successful. The idea that for example you could be a patriotic American and flee the country rather than be drafted into the TrumpenKopf Division wouldn't be very popular in China.

I mean there would be people on both sides of that question in both countries, but the US has a history of teaching civil disobedience in its schools and had the recent experience with Vietnam draft-dodgers, while China teaches the century of humiliation and has been beating the nationalism drum pretty hard for the last two decades.

This isn't like "wow Chinese immigrants are the 5th column" or whatever it's just prevailing attitudes are shaped by cultural experience and that's school and news and people you know.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 13, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 23, 2021

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

Human wave doctrine. Cyber warfare.

RED CHINA. Domino Theory. Blue ants.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am looking forward to drone wars between CH drones and Predators in a client state.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

RED CHINA. Domino Theory. Blue ants.

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
since the world's been turning

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The world is simply returning to its proper equilibrium, as the power vacuum left behind by the Soviet Union is filled by China as the US Hyperpower vanes as we prepare for a Clash of Civilizations between the Western Nation State and the Chinese Civilization State, as it Leverages its Soft Power to engage in a Culture and Economic War that inevitably ends with American Defeat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Speaking of civil disobedience the pollution where I live has been much worse this year, and was so bad that last week there was actually a big protest downtown about it. The riot cops came out and all images of it have been scrubbed, and stores have been told to report anyone printing posters or buying pollution masks to the local police for investigation, but it was amazing to see an actual large-scale protest in China. I know there's a lot more of it than they like to admit to but this is the first time I've personally witnessed it, was pretty cool.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If I were to talk about things seriously, it's such a goddamn shame we don't have access to just how paranoid the CCP is over the idea of popular revolt. I mean, obviously you have the practical examples of them stamping down regionalism in Tibet and Xinjiang, the 1989 protests and the Falun Gong movement, but as their right to rule is based on the continued promise of economic prosperity and they keep loving it up, it will be so dang interesting to see what they might come up with next or if they'll drop the ball.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Speaking of civil disobedience the pollution where I live has been much worse this year, and was so bad that last week there was actually a big protest downtown about it. The riot cops came out and all images of it have been scrubbed, and stores have been told to report anyone printing posters or buying pollution masks to the local police for investigation, but it was amazing to see an actual large-scale protest in China. I know there's a lot more of it than they like to admit to but this is the first time I've personally witnessed it, was pretty cool.

do you think I'm just trying to raise my poscount when I say it's time to leave China or what

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grand Fromage posted:

Which city was this?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

whatever7 posted:

Which city was this?

Chengdu. This is the only pic I can find anymore.

e: Also looks like the police are forcing some businesses and schools to tell students/employees they aren't allowed to wear pollution masks or use air filters. Trying to find some of the actual messages.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 13, 2016

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
As terrible as the CCP is, I'm rather worried as to what atrocity would count as the last straw. Or, for that matter, the atrocities they'd commit to prevent widespread diaspora or popular revolt.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

WarpedNaba posted:

As terrible as the CCP is, I'm rather worried as to what atrocity would count as the last straw. Or, for that matter, the atrocities they'd commit to prevent widespread diaspora or popular revolt.

Is there really anything? I firmly believe the CCP would burn China to the ground rather than cede one inch of power. We'd see escalating reprisals until they were outright purging whole neighborhoods.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/12/13/chengdu-authorities-clamp-down-on-air-pollution-reporting-following-protests/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/12/china-riot-police-seal-off-city-centre-after-smog-protesters-put-masks-on-statues

Couple reports about it. The pollution in Chengdu is usually not bad (by Chinese standards--it's still the case that a good "everybody go outside!" day here would be "holy loving poo poo apocalypse shut down everything" in other countries) so people are pretty upset with this year's spike.

The government also reported the cause of the smog was 600-odd illegal barbecues, not the new petrochemical plant.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

How bad has the AQI been?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

How bad has the AQI been?

It peaked at 410, which is the worst I've seen since I've been here. It was riding steadily in the high 200s to mid 300s for a few days. Smog was so thick the airport was shut down and flights were diverted to Xi'an and Chongqing.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

The government also reported the cause of the smog was 600-odd illegal barbecues, not the new petrochemical plant.

That's even a popular claim by local governments in India to explain the pollution. I guess if you're going to deflect blame, might as well throw it at illegal activities.

The current AQI isn't that bad relatively speaking, 167 is normal most the time in big industrial cities, but I've seen it go up as high as 900. It was like a black sandstorm at 900. I'm sure the mountains don't help either.

The clamp down on masks is insane, almost on the same level as Xinjiang banning publicly being Muslim. Is that just what they tell apparatchiks to do now anytime there's a problem? Don't actually address the issue, just ban everything related to it and hope it goes away.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah it's gone down a lot since the peak, makes me wonder if the government is actually cutting off some of the factories to try to prevent any more protests.

The Korean government once blamed the smog in Seoul on people barbecuing mackerel. I don't know why they were so specific. Usually they just blame China even though the science is that at least like 3/4 of the smog is from local sources. But then again after a few years in China the smog in Seoul just seems quaint.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I wonder how many barbecues you'd have to light to cover the whole basin with smog, since it was just as bad in other major towns in the area.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Did they really say straight up no masks? That seems strange considering how many people wear masks for other reasons than pollution (being sick, etc.)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Redmark posted:

Did they really say straight up no masks? That seems strange considering how many people wear masks for other reasons than pollution (being sick, etc.)

Is that common in Sichuan? Most people in Henan and Shanghai would just cough or sneeze into your face.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Is that common in Sichuan? Most people in Henan and Shanghai would just cough or sneeze into your face.

No. I see it occasionally but that's a Japan thing. Somewhat in Korea too, and I've heard Taiwan also does it. Chengdu people just hack up their viruses all over everything without concern for others, as is tradition.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I wouldn't say it's common in Beijing/Tianjin but uncommon times a shitton of people is a lot of masks. More prevalent in large public spaces like airports.

Hell I wear one when leaving the airport because gently caress all the smoking agh

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Chengdu. This is the only pic I can find anymore.

e: Also looks like the police are forcing some businesses and schools to tell students/employees they aren't allowed to wear pollution masks or use air filters. Trying to find some of the actual messages.

Probably because the media has been instructed to submit articles for review and not use pictures when covering the story of the pollution in Chengdu. WeChat and Weibo stories must be "strictly controlled"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

whatever7 posted:

I haven't thought about it that much.

I think Chinese who understand Chinese writing/literature and Chinese American whose native language is English have fundamental different world views in many different areas. My cousin who was in China until 5-6th grade; and my younger cousin who was in kindergarden when he came to New York. I can see this split between them.

What kind of split?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If it ever came down to a choice between crippling chinese style air pollution or western air quality I'd probably pick chinese because *blood ties*

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

If it ever came down to a choice between crippling chinese style air pollution or western air quality I'd probably pick chinese because *blood ties*

Sorry, the teams have already been picked. You don't get to choose which side you're on.

Because *history* and *politics* and *human stupidity*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Baronjutter posted:

You can't understand the guy is Chinese, born and raised in China, and he sides with his own country? I disagree with some of what Whatever7 believes but he's one of the better posters in this thread. He doesn't owe you or anyone else an explanation as to why he sides with his own goddamn country.

Sticking with the country he was born and raised in does not mean that he has to appreciate every aspect of it. I dislike the Chinese regime and would side with the US in a war. Donald Trump is the president of the United States, and I don't have any plans to leave the US despite this.