Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bawfuls posted:

So California's secession movement is actually a Russian astroturf? Amazing.

Have you ever seen a better example of useful idiots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Which side are you talking about?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

CPColin posted:

Yes California is having some meeting in San Luis Obispo today in a random mobile home park in town. The Facebook event time was set for noon UTC+05 instead of noon UTC-08. Because the guy who runs Yes California lives in Russia and is pro-Russia. :waycool:

lmaoooo

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

dont be mean to me posted:

Which side are you talking about?

There is only one side comrade, you are either for the revolution or against it! :commissar:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Expect to see 4 more years of this garbage. Poisoned additions to completely random bills to gently caress over California. The $170 million Flint bill includes rolling back environmental protections in the California Bay-Delta, for no loving reason :toot:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/10/flint-water-crisis-senate-bill-lead-pipes

quote:

In some of its last business of the year, the Senate on Friday passed a bill that included $170m in funding to remove lead-tainted pipes from the water supply in Flint, Michigan.

Environmentalists were concerned, however, about a “poison pill” in the legislation which rolled back environmental protections in California’s Bay-Delta estuary.

“We should not have to trade delinquent congressional action in Michigan for the erosion of endangered species protection and a threat to fishing jobs in California,” said Scott Slesinger, legislative director at the Natural Resources Defense Council, in a statement.

“But that is the result of the partisan games at play in this bill.”

Drought relief was cited as the reason for the easing of protections in the Bay-Delta. The bipartisan bill, crafted by two Californians, the Democratic senator Dianne Feinstein and the Republican representative Kevin McCarthy, will steer more water from the bay to farms for irrigation. It also opens the door to new dams, desalination and other water projects.

The outgoing California senator Barbara Boxer strongly opposed the measure, calling it “dangerous” and a “disgrace” in remarks on the Senate floor.

“You’re destroying the Endangered Species Act,” Boxer said, “and what right does anybody have to do that, in the middle of the night?”

Feinstein said: “After three years and dozens of versions of legislation, I think this is the best we can do.”

The bill was one of dozens passed in a mad dash before lawmakers return home for the holidays. Senators also passed a resolution to keep the government funded through April.

Also gently caress Feinstein, once again.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, why did B-Box have to retire, instead of Feinstein?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
You so Feine you blow my mind, Diane.

Person who works in state politics told me the other day that the main "swing vote" (most flexible demographic) in CA elections is white liberal-leaning mothers, and most campaign strategies were centered around them. Is this true? It does kinda make sense.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jesus Christ, gently caress Feinstein. How is that woman a Senator in this state?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

She is so entrenched nobody with a serious career in politics would dare run against her.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think you might be able to find a reasonable enough Republican that they'd be better than her.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think you might be able to find a reasonable enough Republican that they'd be better than her.
A normal republican would be the same as her, and easier to dump next time.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Even if you could find a socially liberal Republican to go for it, the 'R' next to the name would be a big hurdle. I suspect she will retire or expire before any serious people go after her spot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah Feinstein isn't going anywhere until she dies, unfortunately. Even more unfortunate is that whoever replaces her is going to be yet another old establishment democrat because California's got 'em in spades and there's no way the party would risk letting somebody who's actually liberal and not cozied up with the party elite take a senator post in the most important democratic stronghold.

That or it's going to be Loretta Sanchez :barf:

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
I dunno, Xavier Becerra may decide to run for her spot depending on what he's doing when Feinstein is gone. My ideal scenario right now is that John Chiang defies all expectations, becomes governor and Becerra becomes CA's next senator. Newsom goes home a loser and leaves politics forever.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I don't care who replaces Feinstein as long as Gavin Newson disappears in the aether before actually getting a chance to become Governor/Senator.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Jesus Christ, gently caress Feinstein. How is that woman a Senator in this state?
An rear end in a top hat shot George Moscone, making DiFi Mayor of San Francisco, her first stepping stone toward power. He also shot Harvey Milk, a San Francisco supervisor and the first out gay person to win an elected office in the US. Milk might well have become a contender for Mayor himself; we'll never know.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

An rear end in a top hat shot George Moscone, making DiFi Mayor of San Francisco, her first stepping stone toward power. He also shot Harvey Milk, a San Francisco supervisor and the first out gay person to win an elected office in the US. Milk might well have become a contender for Mayor himself; we'll never know.

Hey, sometimes when you eat a lot of sugary snack foods you end up doing crazy poo poo, like murder.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just a reminder in case anyone forgot: DiFi's husband, Richard C Blum, gets special favors that helps them make huge piles of money but noooo, there's no conflict of interest! He's also a longtime Regent of the UC system, among many other entanglements and positions any number of which are highly questionable given his relationship to a senator.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I can almost understand the people that voted for Trump if the alternative is people like Diane Feinstein.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Drain the swamp" was and is 100% bullshit and the exact same group of assholes is going to be in power when Trump leaves office. Which is a shame, because Feinstein is right up there in what constitutes "the swamp".

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I saw her give a post election speech to the sf chamber of commerce a few weeks ago - she seemed real old and a bit confused (on account of being old.).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I don't care who replaces Feinstein as long as Gavin Newson disappears in the aether before actually getting a chance to become Governor/Senator.
That's sort of a weird thing to say. I'd much much rather have Gavin as Senator far and above having giant piece of poo poo Feinstein. Like yeah Gavin is some weird American Psycho replicant who seems to be going through the motions of a good-lefty thing for power, but gently caress I'd rather have that than Feinstein any day. I actually hope he does de-seat her if it ever came to that. There's certainly much better (and authentic :v:) people though and I wouldn't be sad if Gavin disapears either from politics either.

themrguy posted:

Person who works in state politics told me the other day that the main "swing vote" (most flexible demographic) in CA elections is white liberal-leaning mothers, and most campaign strategies were centered around them. Is this true? It does kinda make sense.
I'd believe it. Suburban mothers are concerned about anything that may corrupt or inconvenience their precious ones perfect little sphere, be it minorities, gays, trans, homeless, evil drugs!!, etc , and prone to slurping up the latest moral panic outrage that could be seen as a threat. California has the helicopter suburban mom-type in spades.

I live in Berkeley, and of all places, parents get loving crazy and up in arms that 0.001% of the school population might be some minority kids "illegally" enrolled because they live just outside the city limits or some bullshit. It's crazy.

Also see: Marin and LaMorinda Creek area.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 14, 2016

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Berkeley is small-c conservative as all hell. Change is bad, unfamiliarity is bad, new things are bad. When I lived there I'd always decide how to vote on local measures by looking up what the neighborhood association positions were and voting the other way. My favorite story is probably this: Several years back, a bunch of work on the South Berkeley branch of the library was delayed by opposition from a neighborhood association a couple miles away. Why did they care? Well, the library branch near them was the closest one to the branch that would be taken offline for a bit, and they didn't want the old South Berkeley patrons to come to "their" library in the interim. Probably a total coincidence that these patrons would largely be poor and black.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
yeah for all the talk we hear about how liberal california is and how our state is going left while the rest of the country is going right, this is still a state where people have unironically complained about billionaires running roughshod over millionaires in their cities.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Fygm pearl clutching is definitely bipartisan

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'd say that California is CULTURALLY very liberal, but when it comes to class and economics it is, if anything, more conservative than the left in many parts of the country where they're in closer to the actual working class. We're in the belly of the neoliberal beast here.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 14, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Fygm pearl clutching is definitely bipartisan
Absolutely this. It's amazing how many people who consider themselves staunch progressives in coastal California will go, "yeah adding more housing might help the working and middle class be able to afford their rent, but on the other hand what about my free street parking?? :qqsay:"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cicero posted:

Absolutely this. It's amazing how many people who consider themselves staunch progressives in coastal California will go, "yeah adding more housing might help the working and middle class be able to afford their rent, but on the other hand what about my free street parking?? :qqsay:"
Also seen in the Bay Area during the last BART strike, when oh-so-liberal types transformed into club-swingin' Pinkertons at the thought of their commute being disrupted.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Baby Babbeh posted:

I'd say that California is CULTURALLY very liberal, but when it comes to class and economics it is, if anything, more conservative than the left in many parts of the country where they're in closer to the actual working class. We're in the belly of the neoliberal beast here.

Race too. I'm shocked at how segregated even the Bay Area is. Even more when you interact with the school system and elementary school districts

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Reminder that the wonderful liberal utopia of San Francisco (:laffo:) also passed this:

http://sf.curbed.com/2016/11/10/13576508/san-francisco-homeless-tents-election

It's at moments like this that I kinda wish there was a hell so that there'd be a place for combined "Yes Q / No S" voters can burn for a few centuries.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

Also seen in the Bay Area during the last BART strike, when oh-so-liberal types transformed into club-swingin' Pinkertons at the thought of their commute being disrupted.

Yeah, it's super cool that a BART janitor can strike and get paid six figures in overtime, but I'm a monster because I want to get to work and not lose my job. :allears:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

fits my needs posted:

Yeah, it's super cool that a BART janitor can strike and get paid six figures in overtime, but I'm a monster because I want to get to work and not lose my job. :allears:

After seeing many BART stations those janitors deserve every penny they earn. Every goddamn elevator is some homeless dudes restroom.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If a janitor is willing to work enough overtime hours to get six figures then more power to them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

fits my needs posted:

You should talk to your union if you lose your job because of a uncontrollable commuting delay. This is the kind of poo poo they are around for.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"Love me I'm a liberal!" Also "gently caress janitors!"

LOL.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

fits my needs posted:

What is stopping you from switching careers to the lucrative bodily-fluid cleaning field? Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This is this poster's gimmick remember:

fits my needs posted:

Lol. It's easy to be a "true liberal" when you're a six figure techie living in SF that walks to work or whatever. Sorry you don't think that BART isn't a critical piece of public infrastructure that should run regardless of if a BART janitor wants to make more money and get even better benefits than most commuters. A "little more time" makes it sound like they weren't loving over thousands of people by adding multiple hours to their commute times.

Also great idea making everything proprietary so we have to pay more for track and cars to upgrade this piece of poo poo system BART board! I guess we are too special to use the same train cars as everyone else .

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

withak posted:

If a janitor is willing to work enough overtime hours to get six figures then more power to them.
Pretty much, and not just work enough to get overtime, but work enough getting OT cleaning feces, urine, and vomit out of station and cars. Also its very disingenuous that idiots are including "benefits" as part of that mystical "six figure". most only have an actual salary + OT of like maybe 80k, but then throw in magical "benefits" which are actually very hard to quantify and dont often cost nearly as much as certain "thinktanks" and poo poo say, and you can go "bluh bluh janitors making six figures! evil unions kill them all!"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

how do you mean the "actual" working class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
We can be pretty economically liberal, if you put a tax increase on rich people on the ballot it will probably pass.