Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I mean, the NFL has a lot of problems, but it's still far and away the most popular sport in the country, and also college football has a lot of the very same problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
In a lot of ways NCAA has those problems but even worse.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a Michigan Man would never entangle himself with Professional Athletics

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The NFL is purely motivated by profit, unlike the NCAA, which is also motivated by the desire that the players see none of the benefits of that profit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Spite is a holy motive

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
NCAA also has problems of their own like the G5 and P5 chasm, but what does he care he's a fan of one of those storied programs that'll always get the benefit of the doubt

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lessail posted:

NCAA also has problems of their own like the G5 and P5 chasm, but what does he care he's a fan of one of those storied programs that'll always get the benefit of the doubt

djexile is a bowling green fan

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

djexile is a bowling green fan

hmmm could i possibly be talking about the bowling green fan or the michigan fan I wonder

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I never really got NFL fans acting high and mighty about amateurism given that the NFL could end major college football tomorrow if they felt like paying for a minor league.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lessail posted:

hmmm could i possibly be talking about the bowling green fan or the michigan fan I wonder

well your post makes the most sense in response to the one that listed all the problems with the NFL and the bowling green fan made that one so

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

well your post makes the most sense in response to the one that listed all the problems with the NFL and the bowling green fan made that one so

Who made that list in response to the Michigan fan getting hot under the collar at the thought of his dear Michigan Man Harbaugh leaving him

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

honestly i can't wait to see how Kiffin will be inevitably fired in disgrace after we've already seen him denigrated via powerpoint and left on a tarmac.

I just found out about Kiffin getting hired at FAU. I'm so loving happy. I hope he's there for life.

Just outside of Miami. able to see the lights of big time football but unable to touch it, with every recruit he sees going somewhere else.

Where the best record he gets is 5-7, good enough to satisfy FAU but unable to take him anywhere else.

Trapped in a city known for being death's waiting room.

For life.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I am so loving desperate for news about who is going to be Oregon's DC.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jordanis posted:

I am so loving desperate for news about who is going to be Oregon's DC.

They're probably not looking for a flashy name, just someone who can get Oregon's defense back to the level of "mediocre, but acceptable by Pac-12 standards" instead of the dumpster fire it's been for the past few years.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raku posted:

A 5 star recruit is attending his grandma's 85th birthday somewhere in Florida and the coaches start to show up for recruitin':

1) Charlie Strong--woke the kid up bright and early and started trying to teach him lessons about life
2) Mark Richt--drives them all to church beforehand
3) Jimbo Fisher--left an envelope full of money in the mailbox cuz he had to speak to his attorney today
4) Jim McElwain--was on the side of the road next a car with a smoking hood, wearing flipflops and laughing for some reason, holding a drink
5) Butch Davis--showed up to the birthday party early and has been aggressively recruiting since it started
6) Lane Kiffin--emerges from the shadows smelling of cigarettes after the old people have gone home. There is lipstick on his unbuttoned collar. Clearly drunk, he pats the kid on the shoulder and says he'll see him on the beach... and the girls are going to be waiting. He laughs, and tells the recruit that if the cops ask who he was.... "Tell them it was Joey... Joey Saltwater."

The recruit commits to Alabama.

Same, but it happens at the annual Florida Classic between Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman. (two HBCUs for you non-Floridians, and it's always a good time)

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Benne posted:

They're probably not looking for a flashy name, just someone who can get Oregon's defense back to the level of "mediocre, but acceptable by Pac-12 standards" instead of the dumpster fire it's been for the past few years.

And yet they've already failed to do that once. The longer it goes, the more time I have to imagine Brady Hoke Jr.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I never really got NFL fans acting high and mighty about amateurism given that the NFL could end major college football tomorrow if they felt like paying for a minor league.

You gotta cling to whatever moral high ground you got when you're watching people shorten their lives for your entertainment.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
LOL at all of this, whatever the gently caress this is.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
KU's athletic director is named Sheahon Zenger? Wasn't he the guy who built the temple to Gozer the Gozerian?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Hey, if Texas makes a move based on losing to them, why shouldn't KU take that as a sign to extend Beaty?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
lol

https://twitter.com/FAU_Football/status/808658880561553409

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Also:

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/808679741142220800

So are we done here? Too soon, guys. Too soon.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mike Elko noooo. gently caress Notre Dame.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Real Name Grover posted:

Also:

Now we can be bad on both sides of the ball.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Mike Elko noooo. gently caress Notre Dame.

Sorry man :(

It was inevitable he was going to go somewhere bigger soon enough. He's built a great resume so far.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

That was my first thought. gently caress.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real Name Grover posted:

Also:

:yaycloud:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Ehud posted:

At least this may speed up Mac's firing?

Maybe you can hire Brady Hoke and have him gone before Halloween even.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheGreyGhost posted:

At least this may speed up Mac's firing?

Maybe you can hire Brady Hoke and have him gone before Halloween even.

Gus will be job huntin' soon.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Jordanis posted:

And yet they've already failed to do that once. The longer it goes, the more time I have to imagine Brady Hoke Jr.

Latest speculation is Jim Leavitt

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thanks for the reminder that Kansas has won two games in two seasons. Specifically:

1. Rhode Island, an FCS bottom feeder with a 7-50 record over the last 5 seasons, and;
2. The University of Texas

Bear in mind we had quite possibly the best RB in the country and a bevy of 4-star talent all over the place. It is not an exaggeration to say that our roster should've been able to beat Kansas with no coaching whatsoever. They should've been able to make up the plays right there on the field and beat Kansas. I mean what the hell?

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Ehud posted:

I guess Don Brown , Arranda, Venables, etc. didn't want that Temple job?

Who else did they interview?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Charlie making that money

quote:

South Florida: Joey Knight reports Charlie Strong’s deal is 5 years, worth a total of $9.8 million. Relevant to Texas… the first two years, Charlie will only receive $1 million per year. Relevant; because half of that amount will be reduced from what Texas owes Charlie. Thus, rather than Texas paying Charlie $10 million over the next two years, now they will only pay him $9 million. For those counting…Charlie pocketed $15 million while at Texas. If he stay at USF all 5 years, he will have made $34 million over 8 years.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Major Applewhite's contract is a base of 5 years/$7.5 million plus a $100k bonus per win after eight wins. His buyout is the remainder of the contract due at the time plus 50% interest if he leaves for another program in Texas. So, if he leaves for Texas Tech in two years his buyout is $6.75 million.

Also...

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/808407085939642368

lol

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Sucks for UF to lose another great defensive coordinator. Although UF has had a really great 12 year streak of solid defensive coordinators. 

Greg Mattison - DC Baltimore Ravens and Michigan 
Charlie Strong - HC Louisville, Texas, and USF
Dan Quinn - DC Seattle Seahawks,  HC Atlanta Falcons 
Geoff Collins -  HC Temple 
Randy Shannon -  former HC Miami
DJ Durkin - HC Maryland 
Teryl Austin - DC Detroit Lions

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 13, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha that's actually a pretty clever idea

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I guess Don Brown , Arranda, Venables, etc. didn't want that Temple job?

Who else did they interview?

Don Brown is a really good coach but he's like 500 years old.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Wanna know what Lane's buyout is. Wonder if they're betting on him being a 5m+ lotto ticket in two years
Trying to play your football HC position like the stock market seems... not a great idea.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Harbaugh to LA seems ridiculous but there are three decent reasons for it happening:

1: Kroenke can out pay anyone.

2: Rams actually have a lot of decent young talent that's been drastically underutilized

3: The opportunity to skullfuck the 49ers twice a year.

Still don't think it'll happen though.

In fact I'd be way more worried about the Indianapolis job opening up if I were a Michigan fan.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Harbaugh-to-Rams rumor started with Colin Cowherd, because of loving course it did.

• Locked thread