Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dongattack posted:

It's cool that they made a good character out of the priest, i think he just unceremoniously died or something in the comics if there even was a priest. Also really nice to see The Wire actors get well paid work.
I don't recall him ever biting it. He was a lot more trouble for Rick until he become sort of the lodestone for the morality/morale of Alexandria as a whole - he basically only shows up in the comics when there's a like funeral scene which needs a big heavy-handed speech.

He's way cooler on the show, and I love how sneaky and creepy he is to the point he just will get out of a car and walk home and not even be winded or dirty. Naw it's a legit point - I was actually shocked that JDM looks that good without stubble because I honestly couldn't name a role he's been in that I'm aware of, where he wasn't salt-and-pepper-grizzled. He does look a hell of a lot more like the character in the comics clean-shaven, though. He just needs a slight touch of "Outsiders" greaser tweak to his style - like a pack of marlboros rolled up in his t-shirt sleeve that he never smokes.

Blazing Ownager posted:

- I love how the woman riding with her was so utterly suicidal she just casually and (sounding almost bored) told her how to kill her quietly
She wanted to die because she was exhausted from being not-raped

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Does your brother or his friends have mullets, y/n?
Not anymore, but they do have cork boots, and some of them have "secret" prepper panic rooms in their houses - my brother and I go to one of their houses to work on the electrical stuff inside of his survival room packed full of rice and beans and ammo and fuel, and his wife always get pissed off about someone knowing that they have it.

They will be my first target when the apocalypse happens. :btroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Blazing Ownager posted:

I really want a wasteland show where people are far more clever. Ever see a home made bowling ball mortar, for example?
I would like to see one.

I do know that you really don't wanna use a bowling ball for target practise because the holes in the front tend to throw ricocheting slugs right back out at you and it can definitely leave a mark.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

That's what I've been saying ever since this plot arc started, just makes no drat sense. There's zero reason for Rick to not just load up a car with supplies, take Judith, Carl, and Michonne with him, and drive the gently caress away at night. They've already traveled from Georgia up to Virginia, so we know road travel is possible for significant distances. Just go back south, or even head out west.

Sure, Negan might follow, but if they left at night, Negan wouldn't know until his next visit to Alexandria. And even then has no idea which direction, or how far they've gone. It'd be impossible to ever find them.

Morgan tracked them all the way there on foot, this show never earns anything it just knows it wants to achieve [plot device] no matter how lazily or nonsensically it does so

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
For all of the nonsense that happened in the last 10-15 pages or so (rape can express itself in more ways than just brute force molestation; I hope Eyochigan is starting to understand that), I do really like this post;

It shows us something very important; it shows us one of the reasons WHY Negan seems to have the support he does. For the person who DOES buy into everything he preaches, is a productive worker who gets points in the way they're expected to, and is willing to compromise on their principles...life doesn't seem so bad. And considering how much Negan seems to respect strength (even from those that try to KILL him!), he probably treats his soldiers well. So he actually does have popular support among his military. Even if everyone else hates his guts, his military and fans are loyal enough to protect him. Or at least, that's the vibe I get from this panel here.

Are there any more comic panels like this that the show has skipped over so far? Panels that show the perks of being a Neganite? They seem like really important panels that should not have been dropped from the show.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 13, 2016

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Given the perspective on that last panel, I can see where JDM got the idea for the Negan Lean™ from.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This is all the Governor's fault because he was awesome and died before the creator was ready so Negan is kept stupidly safe to not make the same mistake, the key difference being the Governor wasn't stupid enough to be a total oval office.

Show Governor or comic Governor? Show Governor was, I'm going to say it.. a worse character than Negan.

Mostly because he was entirely inconsistent in everything from his actions (the whole redemption arc episode was great up until they decided 'Oh poo poo, he's three dimensional, have him flip and out and start murdering people that are offering him loving command) and wasted potential from giving real weight to a confrontation with Rick. There's lots of ways that weren't stupid it could have escalated, and maybe even been kind of a tragedy in-universe instead of a writing tragedy.

But he was also inconsistent in abilities. I have no idea why the Governor was like, super loving strong. It made no sense with the presented character: I mean he decided to take Merle in a fist fight, and motherfucking won. Seriously. The only way that scene SHOULD have played out is that he tries it, Merle beat the utter poo poo out of him and he had his men shoot him. Because seriously, why was he stronger in hand to hand than Merle? Why would he even take the risk?

Nothing about his character made sense. The massacre of his people made no sense. His battle plans made no sense. His motivations made no sense. The nature of his insanity made no sense.

Negan's ridiculously simple by comparison and a poo poo character but so far, he's nothing if not fairly consistent.

ED: I would like to remind everyone that may have forgotten that Michonne was just the worst during that whole arc. Stink eye and starting poo poo, all she did. I am utterly amazed they finally managed to make her likable, because good God did she suck for a while.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Blazing Ownager posted:

But he was also inconsistent in abilities. I have no idea why the Governor was like, super loving strong. It made no sense with the presented character: I mean he decided to take Merle in a fist fight, and motherfucking won. Seriously. The only way that scene SHOULD have played out is that he tries it, Merle beat the utter poo poo out of him and he had his men shoot him. Because seriously, why was he stronger in hand to hand than Merle? Why would he even take the risk?

1) He caught Merle by surprise, while he was already pre-occupied. Studies show that most fights are won by the person who hits first, for a variety of reasons.

2) Merle didn't have a right hand; he had a short blade. Such a blade is only deadly if he manages to stab the Governor; slashes are actually not that dangerous. Merle could have slashed the Governor on the forearm, and it wouldn't have done any lasting damage (just try cutting a shirt with a knife; it won't likely do anything unless you stab the shirt). So the Governor had two hands to Merle's one.

3) The Governor could have had some sort of military background. The only thing we know about his former job is that he had a boss that was "half his age, and even less intelligent". Said boss could have been a military officer for all we know.

4) Even if the above isn't true, the Governor came from an abusive family. He's very likely to have learned the ABC's of violence from growing up in such an environment.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just watched the episode..Why was fat joey surrendering to Daryl? He had a gun. Was Daryl exuding plot armour in a radius so intense Joey was pants making GBS threads in response? That scene made very little sense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

What is Negan's problem? Why does he kill people that pose no threat to him and let the ones
who try to kill him keep living? How is this a good idea?

He likes people with guts

He might be doing a lich king maneuver as well. Raising his enemies as powerful servants.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sjs00 posted:

Just watched the episode..Why was fat joey surrendering to Daryl? He had a gun. Was Daryl exuding plot armour in a radius so intense Joey was pants making GBS threads in response? That scene made very little sense.

He explained why when he said "I'm not supposed to be here" if he shot at Daryl or screamed for help people would ask why he left his post to eat that snack he was eating in that scene and that might mean getting Lucile'd

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fat Joey wasn't very competent.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

euphronius posted:

Fat Joey wasn't very competent.

That too, before we even see him Negan talks poo poo about Fat Joey's abilities to Dwight

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just sad that Spencer didn't get to have that sandwich with the horny blond bandit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why did Darryl flip out over the table with ornaments on it?

What group of people did red head show michonne? That wasn't the factory camp.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It was a chess game in progress. Just a simple 'gently caress you' to whoever's room that is.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I can't tell who is putting on who. I have the actual answer but I don't want to lose the meta troll game.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

You know what I'd love to see? Someone who is actually more powerful than Negan, and we see if he can keep up the same cocky act. He's King poo poo when he's the toughest guy in town, but I bet he'd get meek pretty quick if the Last General or Colonel of the US Army showed up with a few hundred heavily armed soldiers or something.

It'd never happen, but it would be interesting to see how he'd handle it. Right now he has no betters or equals in the immediate geographical area, and he knows it.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Man, doomsday preppers are way over-prepared. If all I have to worry about is zombies and people with guns, the only to things I need are a dumpster and a baseball bat.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

euphronius posted:

He likes people with guts

He might be doing a lich king maneuver as well. Raising his enemies as powerful servants.

So, you're just gonna throw out some alphabet soup like lich king with no explanation? Fine. Does anyone know what this means because google just brings up some WoW videos.

Seriously, though, this power play by Negan is some terrible strategy.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Lich King is slang for a type of food they serve in rural Australia

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

So, you're just gonna throw out some alphabet soup like lich king with no explanation? Fine. Does anyone know what this means because google just brings up some WoW videos.

A lich, after killing a particularly dangerous enemy, will often raise that enemy from the dead so that they may serve them as a zombie slave. A dangerous foe becomes a powerful servant.

This is basic lich stuff, dude.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

in WoW, the lich king is a conjurer, which means you like, suck in souls and use them to summon [them as] powerful allies in the form of big blue thing, sexy succubus thing, etc. So pulling a lich king in this regard would just mean you're sucking the life out of those who are either with or against you, then turning them into puppets/parrots of your will. "I am Negan"

:efb

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The only explanation I've found that keeps the series watchable is that Negan wants to die. He has ran out the thrill of women and murder, he desperately wants to see someone have the guts and capability to kill him.
He's setting up the Golden Path so that this sort of tragedy never befalls mankind again.

quote:

This is all the Governor's fault because he was awesome and died before the creator was ready so Negan is kept stupidly safe to not make the same mistake, the key difference being the Governor wasn't stupid enough to be a total oval office.
Killing all of his people because they failed the transition from suburban moms to grizzled delta force warriors makes him kind of a oval office.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MeLKoR posted:

Killing all of his people because they failed the transition from suburban moms to grizzled delta force warriors makes him kind of a oval office.
And here I thought it was how he literally molests his zombified daughter and removed her teeth out so he can kiss her

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

And here I thought it was how he literally molests his zombified daughter and removed her teeth out so he can kiss her

See looked happy.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Hmm. Perhaps they should introduce orcs to the show.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
The governor was retarded

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

steakmancer posted:

The governor was retarded

Yeah I feel like the people saying he was "awesome" need to go back and rewatch those seasons. He seems maybe not so bad in hindsight compared to Negan, but almost everything about him was ridiculously cartoony from his fish tank head wall to killing his people for no reason to wanting to move into a prison when his town was pretty well-off already. As silly+contrived as Negan's plan to get Rick's RV where they wanted and the whistling thing was last season, the Governor seasons had even more ridiculous scenes like him being able to track Andrea down in a truck, Andrea outrunning said truck, etc.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

In a smarter show I I'd say he ganked him not for suggesting a power play, and not for having the balls to talk to Negan (though he was acting way too much his equal; but Negan might have worked on that).. it would be for being dumb enough to do it in the freaking open surrounded by Rick's friends and loving son. Not five minutes after meeting him.

Really it felt like he should have maybe just been sucking up to him for months before saying anything, in a private room somewhere. But Spencer was in-character a huge loving idiot, so honestly I can't even be mad at the writers. It didn't feel out of nowhere, it felt like "Yep, stupid is as stupid does."

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah I feel like the people saying he was "awesome" need to go back and rewatch those seasons. He seems maybe not so bad in hindsight compared to Negan, but almost everything about him was ridiculously cartoony from his fish tank head wall to killing his people for no reason to wanting to move into a prison when his town was pretty well-off already. As silly+contrived as Negan's plan to get Rick's RV where they wanted and the whistling thing was last season, the Governor seasons had even more ridiculous scenes like him being able to track Andrea down in a truck, Andrea outrunning said truck, etc.

I absolutely remember that and believe he was 100% worse than Negan as a character like I said above. Wildly inconsistent on every drat level.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR posted:

Remember the first prison attack where suddenly it became the A-Team and everyone just shot at each other's feet after making them lose like 2 people in a haunted house with zombies that was the tunnels?

Then the Governor gunning down like 20 people with 30 bullets in like 5 seconds while they were all armed?

That was some hilarious poo poo. Nothing about that fucker made any sense.

Firing an Steyr AUG with one hand and one eye with deadly accuracy was also funny.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Negan is like, almost literally the equivalent of the dudes from Point Break, except with a weird retro vibe and a penchant for beating people to death to put himself in harm's way to prove his innate (eugenically speaking) superiority over all other life forms. He's the personification of Natural Born Killers except also he's a consummate politician who can equally give the people what they want - or force them into believing they want what he gives https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF4hyVArBDc

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fionordequester posted:

1) He caught Merle by surprise, while he was already pre-occupied. Studies show that most fights are won by the person who hits first, for a variety of reasons.

No he didn't - he got in the room, told his men to let him handle this, then pretty much engaged a now prepared Merle.

Fionordequester posted:

2) Merle didn't have a right hand; he had a short blade. Such a blade is only deadly if he manages to stab the Governor; slashes are actually not that dangerous.

You mean the knife he repeatedly slammed clean through the heads of zombies and survivors alike?

Fionordequester posted:

3) The Governor could have had some sort of military background. The only thing we know about his former job is that he had a boss that was "half his age, and even less intelligent". Said boss could have been a military officer for all we know.

Maybe as a desk clerk given his strategy of "mob charge in wildly shooting and completely out of my control with no battle plan" in both assaults

Fionordequester posted:

4) Even if the above isn't true, the Governor came from an abusive family. He's very likely to have learned the ABC's of violence from growing up in such an environment.

He never acted like an abusive spouse kind of guy, just someone who randomly does evil things for evil reasons because evil, but then does things that aren't evil because "depth." But then evil again.

I've never read the comics but I think some people are filling in the holes in .. well, everything he did with comic info that just wasn't present in the show. Negan is a lovely character but like I said, he's very consistently lovely and the non-lovely parts of him shown co-exist, constantly, with the lovely parts.

He's not a sympathetic guy one second and then suddenly murdering his XO because crazy-train the next.

ED: On the flip side, the Governor was smart enough to not arrange that meeting with Rick, then hand Rick an assault rifle, so +1 there.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 13, 2016

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

That last scene with the gang just awkwardly silently smiling and nodding at each other was cheesy as gently caress.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Best part of the episode was when Negan said someone had to die, and bad-highlights chick, surrounded by people, had to shoot the person 30ft away since she was the only one without plot armour.

Great stuff, 5/7 Dexter seasons.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Merle was hammered during that scene.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

euphronius posted:

Why did Darryl flip out over the table with ornaments on it?

What group of people did red head show michonne? That wasn't the factory camp.

It was the chess piece that burn guy was carrying around.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Khablam posted:

Best part of the episode was when Negan said someone had to die, and bad-highlights chick, surrounded by people, had to shoot the person 30ft away since she was the only one without plot armour.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't choose to end this half of the season right after the shot without showing who got hit clearly, leaving everyone wondering if she shot Carl instead. Then episode 9 could show Rick solemnly walking around as he sees visions of everyone in that area getting shot and wait until the end to show who it really was.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I like how the characters they killed during this episode were characters I forgot existed the second they were no longer on the screen.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

No he didn't - he got in the room, told his men to let him handle this, then pretty much engaged a now prepared Merle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJJJrKwF8I

...How is that, in any way, a "prepared Merle"?

Blazing Ownager posted:

You mean the knife he repeatedly slammed clean through the heads of zombies and survivors alike?

Yes. The one he slammed through the heads of weak, slow, "fragile as paper mache" zombies by stabbing them. Merle never had the CHANCE to do that to the Governor. The Governor never gave him a chance to breath; he never gave Merle the chance to DO anything other than uselessly flail his arms around. Merle would have needed to be standing straight, he would have needed enough distance TO stab (as opposed to having been pressed up against a wall), and he would have needed to NOT have gotten his ribs kicked in before he even had the chance to fight back.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Maybe as a desk clerk given his strategy of "mob charge in wildly shooting and completely out of my control with no battle plan" in both assaults

...Ok, I'll grant you that. Maybe he got some kind of martial arts training then, with some firearms on the side?

Blazing Ownager posted:

He never acted like an abusive spouse kind of guy, just someone who randomly does evil things for evil reasons because evil, but then does things that aren't evil because "depth." But then evil again.

My point was that his violent upbringing might have forged him into a more capable fighter than he might otherwise have been. His character may be inconsistent in other ways (I also hated how they threw away his redemption arc), but I don't see anything nonsensical about him being a good fighter. Heck, the guy probably got into some fights in his youth just out of virtue of being a twisted psycho.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

At least we can all rest easy knowing that while the show can be dumb, it'll never be as dumb as this thread.