Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Maximizing armor on gear is good, but less important than the rest. Focus on having a big main link, capped resists, life, imo. Armor helps but it's more of a thing you fix after taking care of the rest afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Also keep in mind that armor has diminishing returns of effectiveness. It's great at absorbing tiny hits but less effective on big ones, so you'll want some other way to deal with those (large life pool so you're less likely to get one shot, high leech/regen to get back up to full health quickly, fast movespeed to avoid hits in the first place).

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The 30 stat nodes on the tree are actually pretty darn good sometimes.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Ultima66 posted:

I had an Acton's Nightmare drop for me in Quay yesterday. I've never done Acton's Nightmare before and it didn't drop from a Strongbox/Rogue Exile/Nemesis rare/whatever the gently caress. Just a random pack of white mobs dropped Acton's Nightmare. There were no interesting mods on the map and I didn't Zana craft it in any way. No breaches or beyond mobs were involved.

I was under the impression this is impossible? I thought GGG said that unique maps can only ever drop from the map they're based on until you've completed the map, at which point they can start dropping from anywhere?

They partially reverted that:

Content Update 2.5.0 Patch Notes posted:

Unique Maps can now drop if you have completed their equivalent base type on the Atlas.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

please knock Mom! posted:

The 30 stat nodes on the tree are actually pretty darn good sometimes.

They are while leveling and if you are using a weird radius jewel to get other stats. But if you are using it strictly to get +30 main stat then you should regret that passive if you are at end game and get the main stat you need from gear. At least, that's what I think.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They are while leveling and if you are using a weird radius jewel to get other stats. But if you are using it strictly to get +30 main stat then you should regret that passive if you are at end game and get the main stat you need from gear. At least, that's what I think.

It's all about what you can get on gear. Sometimes it's impossible to get the items you need (either because of price or availability), so you end up having to chose between stats or another thing you want/need on that piece of gear. In that case, it might be better to just skill a 30stat node, even endgame. A thing I often do is take some less-than-great nodes that have stats on them, like Versatility. They're mediocre at best for a melee dude, but the 20 int/dex is oh so needed.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Half the builds I make don't intend to take the 30 point attribute nodes, but if getting the stats on gear proves to be too expensive/restrictive I'll sacrifice damage nodes for stats.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They are while leveling and if you are using a weird radius jewel to get other stats.

+30 nodes are terrible for jewels. There's only 3 jewel slots are within range of any of those nodes (Dodge, Chaos Innoculation and Minion Instability areas) and they're only in range for Large radius jewels. Those ones all convert one stat to another, which makes those areas terrible for them since that +30 node is all you're going to get of that stat in that area.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
Anyone here building whispering ice? One of my friends suggested I do that since I already have a few of the uniques for the build.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

TheRat posted:

It's all about what you can get on gear. Sometimes it's impossible to get the items you need (either because of price or availability), so you end up having to chose between stats or another thing you want/need on that piece of gear. In that case, it might be better to just skill a 30stat node, even endgame. A thing I often do is take some less-than-great nodes that have stats on them, like Versatility. They're mediocre at best for a melee dude, but the 20 int/dex is oh so needed.

Versatility is so good when you start out as a marauder, its always the first big node I get on the way to RT. Once I get enough int I almost always respec out of it to Precision (which I think is under rated) instead.

Seems like almost all of my builds are starved for dex.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Leninvs/characters

I just beat the act4 boss in merc. Having a great time as a cyclone juggernaut marauder.

Wondering what I should focus on now? I guess start mapping?

I keep seeing people posting dps numbers above 60k. Seems like impossible for me. I don't see how I can bump it that much higher than my current 16k cyclone

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Is anyone running a self cast scorching ray build? My one has been struggling and I've sort of been ignoring it in favour of my blade flurry guy dunking on everything. Before I bother wasting currency on SR, can it be good with lowish investment or should I give up/try to convert it to something else fire based?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

damnfan posted:

Anyone here building whispering ice? One of my friends suggested I do that since I already have a few of the uniques for the build.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Is anyone running a self cast scorching ray build? My one has been struggling and I've sort of been ignoring it in favour of my blade flurry guy dunking on everything. Before I bother wasting currency on SR, can it be good with lowish investment or should I give up/try to convert it to something else fire based?

Scorching Ray CWC slotted into WI is the new hotness, and my next alt

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1788023

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 13, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

LeninVS posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Leninvs/characters

I just beat the act4 boss in merc. Having a great time as a cyclone juggernaut marauder.

Wondering what I should focus on now? I guess start mapping?

I keep seeing people posting dps numbers above 60k. Seems like impossible for me. I don't see how I can bump it that much higher than my current 16k cyclone

Set to private.

Most people dont even beat malachi in merciless except for the league challenges. Time to start mapping. Run your white tier maps as blue with 2 mods, use alts to roll over ones that are bad for your build. Then start unlocking the atlas and building a map pool. Once you get Zana up to level 2 invite to your hideout and she will give you a map device so you dont have to futz about with the eternal laboratory.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
DPS via the tooltip is an incredibly deceptive thing. It's mostly good for comparing one skill to itself - as in "boy, changing that weapon (and nothing else) made my DPS go from x to y" you shouldn't think much about it beyond that.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Sounds interesting. Might have to see if I can club it into workability as an Inquisitor. I'll probably end up with a poo poo version but if it's fun I'm semi okay with that. I've been rolling with mathil's Inquisitor SR beginner build.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thanks to everyone in here and guild chat who helped unfuck my build. Took some life nodes, switched over to pure physical tornado shot with a decent harbinger bow, moved from frenzy to bloodrage for stack generation, and went with the herald of ice + curse on hit combination. I have maybe 3900 life and completely maxed resists now, which is making life easier. With my flask running and full frenzy/power stacks, my TS tooltip dps is maybe 26k?

So far, the highest map I've run is tier 9 and that one really wasn't very hard. That said, I've noticed that a couple of map mod combinations are completely vicious even if they spawn on a tier 6 or whatever, to the point where walking into the map is just a really quick way to lose a ton of experience. So far, I've had trouble with:

- physical reflect (i can kind of do these by switching back to ptl if there's nothing else bad on the map)
- vulnerability / -max resists (if it pushes the map boss into oneshot territory--i had a really bad racecourse with vulnerability meaning the dog's jump attack could instantly kill me)
- monsters from beyond (sometimes they're pretty easy, sometimes i get some giant fucker who stuns me and then vaporizes me by dropping huge red circle explosions)
- temporal chains (really annoying, sometimes workable)
- players cannot leech (NOPE NOPE NOPE)

Is it normal to be unable to do some map combinations, or should i aim for more defenses/better flasks? If so, Is it normal to just scour and reroll a map if it gets a bad combo?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also thanks to whoever carried me into some ridiculous high tier map to help with the atlas, even though i did nothing useful except die repeatedly

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
My eq build had like 10 ex in gear and I'd still not do phys reflect

There's very few builds that can effectively do all map mods

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Reiterpallasch posted:

Is it normal to be unable to do some map combinations, or should i aim for more defenses/better flasks? If so, Is it normal to just scour and reroll a map if it gets a bad combo?

It's pretty normal in my opinion. Last league I couldn't do ele reflect maps. This league I can't do ele reflect OR no regen maps (lesser regen is still fine). Instead of re-rolling, just sell the maps, OR find a friend who can do them and trade for maps that they can't do. I currently have a system where a friend gives me his physical reflect maps and I give him my ele reflect.

If you have the currency to waste though, sure, re-roll.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

Is it normal to be unable to do some map combinations

Yes, it's competely normal. Very few builds can do all, or close to all combinations, and even then you usually reroll at least a few for convenience's sake.

Reiterpallasch posted:

- vulnerability

Beware that vulnerability makes you take a lot more damage from bloodrage

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

also thanks to whoever carried me into some ridiculous high tier map to help with the atlas, even though i did nothing useful except die repeatedly

Pro-tip: if you die and don't click respawn you'll still credit for completing maps/master missions/etc. Assuming everyone else is cool with you just chilling there.

Vasudus posted:

DPS via the tooltip is an incredibly deceptive thing. It's mostly good for comparing one skill to itself - as in "boy, changing that weapon (and nothing else) made my DPS go from x to y" you shouldn't think much about it beyond that.

Another pro-tip: trying out your new weapon that ups your tooltip DPS by 20% by going into a map with Enfeeble and 20% phys reduction is a good way to wonder what the hell is wrong with your "upgrade" until you realize it :downsgun:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 13, 2016

CautionaryOstrich
Mar 20, 2009
Pillbug
Is the OP still accurate in regards to getting a guild invite? I jumped in a Reddit global chat that was supposedly "non toxic, non elitist" and watched about twenty manbabies scream at each other for an hour about "THE RIGHT WAY TO PLAY". Learned my lesson there, will stick to goons like I did with Diablo 3.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Playing as Blade Vortex Assassin, is there a gerneral consensus if rare daggers or wands are better? I know that you get to use whirling blades with a dagger, but apart from that?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I'm in a3 merc with my shadow with blade flurry and I just realized that I haven't done any labs yet on him.

psy.Che posted:

Playing as Blade Vortex Assassin, is there a gerneral consensus if rare daggers or wands are better? I know that you get to use whirling blades with a dagger, but apart from that?

Daggers so you can use binos/some top tier rare dagger

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

CautionaryOstrich posted:

Is the OP still accurate in regards to getting a guild invite? I jumped in a Reddit global chat that was supposedly "non toxic, non elitist" and watched about twenty manbabies scream at each other for an hour about "THE RIGHT WAY TO PLAY". Learned my lesson there, will stick to goons like I did with Diablo 3.

Still correct + can also use Discord channel.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

psy.Che posted:

Aside from whirling blades, daggers have better implicit mods for crit builds
Obliteration can be pretty good, because 20% more damage can outperform crit if you don't have a lot of multiplier yet. You'd still be giving up WB though which is honestly a huge deal.
Honestly the reason for daggers is probably like 99% whirling blades

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheRat posted:

Yes, it's competely normal. Very few builds can do all, or close to all combinations, and even then you usually reroll at least a few for convenience's sake.

Beware that vulnerability makes you take a lot more damage from bloodrage

Rat, out of those builds I think you listed:

quote:

Inquisitor flameblast totems, chieftain warchief totems, assassin blade flurry, occultist essence drain, juggernaut earthquake

Which one is the best mix of tanky and cheap or the bunch?
After playing with a Freezing Pulse CI Templar and deeply regretting it, I want something bulky again.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How is the new league compared to the prophecy league?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Breaches are like one of those cash grab booths that will either net you a bunch of extra items or instantly kill you.

It's great.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Breaches are great, considering they're fun loot-pinatas with fantastic density, that are 100% controlled by the player if they want to participate in the mechanic or not.

Except Tul. gently caress Tul. Why do your breaches always spawn 2-3 Rare Vortex-spawning assholes immediately?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Soothing Vapors posted:

This looks way amusing

At first I thought I could bash my pyre vortex witch into submission but the skill trees don't line up well enough, I'd be spending over 50 Regret and converting from life to CI to boot

Guess I'll try this as a third character if I get rich enough to run ES

Hauki
May 11, 2010

hey if you're hard crashing upon doing, like, any action including relaunching the game like many other people right now, switch to dx9 client

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
People are also crashing on dx9, so it might just be hosed for a while. RIP the map I was running, anyway.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Elentor posted:

Rat, out of those builds I think you listed:

Which one is the best mix of tanky and cheap or the bunch?
After playing with a Freezing Pulse CI Templar and deeply regretting it, I want something bulky again.

Juggernaut EQ and Chieftain Warchief are both very tanky and very cheap to start out with.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for the tips on gem vaaling last page boys. Looks like we have a 300 mb update, guess I won't be playing for a few hours so I'll read up on it! :v:

I got to play for like 30 minutes after work though. Got like 6 uniques on the vaaled T11 I ran. Used my last portal to check for anything I missed. 38% FR Kaom's Heart :stare:

AegisP posted:

Breaches are great, considering they're fun loot-pinatas with fantastic density, that are 100% controlled by the player if they want to participate in the mechanic or not.

Except Tul. gently caress Tul. Why do your breaches always spawn 2-3 Rare Vortex-spawning assholes immediately?

I am convinced Tul rare mobs have cold penetration. If you get stunned or lagged out in a bad spot you're basically hosed.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 14, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

its just bug fixes

J
Jun 10, 2001

Game is just too popular y'all

quote:

Sorry for not commenting in every thread about this, but we're actively ordering more servers as needed whenever there are issues induced by player numbers. As this release was surprisingly large and Breaches certainly increase server load, we've had to add more servers many times so far.

Just letting you know that the reports aren't being ignored. As the holiday season will result in more players, we'll keep piling them on.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Gonna suck for their bottom line when everyone leaves/bored until next league and they have too many servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Do these guys not use cloud computing? Even if it's more expensive generally it's very good for elastic demand during that first week or whatever.

• Locked thread