Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

it's more than it's really hard for democratic campaigns to hire competent tech people. the best tech people don't give a poo poo about politics, and aren't going to leave high-paying jobs where they're massively in-demand for a one year project that pays half of what they could make otherwise.

Dude it doesn't take the loving competent tech person. Just one goddamn person under 40 with a loud voice who doesn't give a poo poo who will scream at people when they don't set up two factor on the goddamn g-mail account they're running a 1.2 billion dollar presidential campaign from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mirthless posted:

there's two possibilities here and i'm not sure which one is inducing more blinding, shaking rage

1. they underhire and underpay the most incompetent IT workers they can in a misguided attempt to save money, thus insuring they are forever doomed to incompetent service because they look at IT as a cost center and make it the lowest priority in their org
2. they overhire and overpay anybody they can find in a misguided attempt to stay ahead, and as a result they're stuck with wall to wall incompetents

it's democrats so I know it's #2 and gently caress everything

it's somehow both of these because they were using contractors and IT contracting is a completely miserable service that nobody talented wants to work in unless they're being enormously overpaid for mediocre work

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

it's more than it's really hard for democratic campaigns to hire competent tech people. the best tech people don't give a poo poo about politics, and aren't going to leave high-paying jobs where they're massively in-demand for a one year project that pays half of what they could make otherwise.

I think it's more that it appears hard* for Clinton campaigns to hire competent tech people. Obama's tech game was pretty slick both times around, as I recall, and looks even more so given how hilariously Romney's imploded on election day.

*here, I suspect the difficulty isn't finding anyone competent, but rather in finding someone competent who passes the prerequisite bullshit loyalty parameters she and her cronies seemed to prioritize above actual ability.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

LinYutang posted:

i hope their IT was run by some trust fund intern brat b/c that'd be the perfect expression of clintonian hubris

No, it was a consultancy out of Chicago. https://web.archive.org/web/20160306152449/http://misdepartment.com/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rangpur posted:

I thin k we're supposed to be sality because he acknowledges racism played a role in the election instead of 'no war but class war,' which people keep telling me is what I believe so idk :shrug:

oh I figured it was because it was a sympathetic portrait of Obama and we all supposedly hate him with every fiber of our beings now because he was a filthy centrist

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

:cripes:

I'm not sure if it's more refreshing to know that Clinton's people stepping on their own dicks is what caused the Wikileaks mess or not.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
How To Waste 1.3 Billion Dollars On Everything Except People Who Know COmputers Good

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

On the other side of things, how are you an FBI agent contacting a major presidential campaign and you don't have a plan in place for "YEAH SUUUUUURE YOU'RE WITH THE FBI? *CLICK*"

Bit of a shitshow all around is what it sounds like.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

smh just hire me abuela a year ago and the world is saved

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

You know what, the fact that he then said "change your password immediately" should've provided the context that it got autocorrected to something else.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This is like the millionth time I've read this in this thread. Where's the citation?

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-aides-loss-blame-231215

quote:

There was little the Clinton operatives could do about the “scandals” they inherited when they signed up to work for the former secretary of state. But Clinton allies are also faulting the campaign for failing to develop a credible message for downscale white voters, arguing she could have won by a larger margin on the economy.

And some began pointing fingers at the young campaign manager, Robby Mook, who spearheaded a strategy supported by the senior campaign team that included only limited outreach to those voters — a theory of the case that Bill Clinton had railed against for months, wondering aloud at meetings why the campaign was not making more of an attempt to even ask that population for its votes. It’s not that there was none: Clinton’s post-convention bus tour took her through Youngstown, Ohio, as well as Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, where she tried to eat into Trump’s margins with his base. In Scranton and Harrisburg, the campaign aired a commercial that featured a David Letterman clip of Trump admitting to outsourcing manufacturing of the products and clothes that bore his logo. And at campaign stops in Ohio, Clinton talked about Trump’s reliance on Chinese steel.

But in general, Bill Clinton’s viewpoint of fighting for the working class white voters was often dismissed with a hand wave by senior members of the team as a personal vendetta to win back the voters who elected him, from a talented but aging politician who simply refused to accept the new Democratic map. At a meeting ahead of the convention at which aides presented to both Clintons the “Stronger Together” framework for the general election, senior strategist Joel Benenson told the former president bluntly that the voters from West Virginia were never coming back to his party.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

lmao my e-mail account is more secure then the entire dnc and john podesta's

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

cool thought: clinton spent more money on glass confetti than on securing her emails

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

paranoid randroid posted:

so how salty are we about the new TNC piece in the Atlantic
It was long and boring so I stopped reading.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Grondoth posted:

You know what, the fact that he then said "change your password immediately" should've provided the context that it got autocorrected to something else.

The phising email looked like a Gmail link to reset your password.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Joementum posted:

The phising email was looked like a Gmail link to reset your password.

oh no

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I think it's more that it appears hard* for Clinton campaigns to hire competent tech people. Obama's tech game was pretty slick both times around, as I recall, and looks even more so given how hilariously Romney's imploded on election day.

*here, I suspect the difficulty isn't finding anyone competent, but rather in finding someone competent who passes the prerequisite bullshit loyalty parameters she and her cronies seemed to prioritize above actual ability.

hillary actually had a lot more security than obama. for example, they imposed a 30 day email deletion policy on all hillaryclinton.com accounts, even junior ones, by order of robby mook. actually, here's a funny story from their it department: they routinely did fake phishing emails to train employees on how to spot and avoid them. the hfa iowa state director fell for one and got so angry that he emailed the entire state and told them not to click it, that it was a trick, and that it was a "bizarre and stupid practice." that was the last fake phishing email they sent out. probably a month later half the accounts were getting spear phishing emails and several accounts were penetrated.

like any organization, the best security measures are foiled by employees that feel inconvenienced by those security measures

as far as obama '12 goes (i can't speak for '08) but i think anyone who had to use dashboard, the field reporting site, would not give favorable reviews to their tech apparatus. after the election the tech guy actually said "we wanted to build a rock solid base and then develop outward from that but the campaign never understood what we were trying to do." (it crashed almost every night when staff tried to report on it) they did develop some cool stuff, though so i won't give it entirely unfavorable reviews.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Dec 13, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

It was long and boring so I stopped reading.

its good actually

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

like any organization, the best security measures are foiled by employees that feel inconvenienced by those security measures

did you know?? if your employees are "foiling security measures" your security measures are actually "bad"

this is, like, the primest example of Amateur Security Talk

https://support.google.com/a/answer/2548882?hl=en

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

if any of your "security" relies on Idiot Entitled Grampa to properly follow rules of his own volition, you've failed already

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

its good actually

yeah it's good

why am I supposed to be salty about it again?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

LinYutang posted:

did you know?? if your employees are "foiling security measures" your security measures are actually "bad"

this is, like, the primest example of Amateur Security Talk

https://support.google.com/a/answer/2548882?hl=en

obviously they should have enforced it, but they were not allowed to enforce it.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

I realize I’m late to this party but I had some experience with this:

quote:

Disconnection between the National campaign and local campaigns was also a problem looking back on it. Many local offices went underfunded as more and more money was diverted to winning the ad and communication war.

I saw this first hand. I was active in a local campaign and a member of a local Dem club in a district that was supposed to be in play for the first time ever. We got no help from the Clinton campaign. We paid full price for yard signs, buttons, t-shirts etc. Selling campaign swag during presidential election years is how we make our money, and you be surprised at how many people will tell you to go gently caress yourself when you ask for $25.00 for a yard sign after buying it off the website for $22.00.

We also watched our local Hillary Campaign Coordinator get no support either while at the same time being saddled with all sorts of rules about not partnering with local clubs. Mind you we’re chartered with the county party.

All this to say, I think I need some post-election therapy.

quote:

Diagnoses: Trump and Obama had a movement. We had fear. Fear of Trump was never going to be enough to win. We needed a candidate who energized the base and appealed to what people want not don't. Would Bernie have won? It isn't my right to say. After all I was wrong all along lol

Bernie would most certainly have done better, but I think the only potential candidate who could have tapped into whatever Trump had was Biden. Pity he didn’t run.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

bought the farm posted:

and you be surprised at how many people will tell you to go gently caress yourself when you ask for $25.00 for a yard sign after buying it off the website for $22.00.

hey at least you got your yard sign

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

obviously they should have enforced it, but they were not allowed to enforce it.

Yeah, seems like a big part of the problem was that Podesta was using his personal email account, rather than the email system operated by the campaign.

Which, of course, is something they had no way of knowing might cause problems.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zikan posted:

lmao my e-mail account is more secure then the entire dnc and john podesta's

His password was passw3rd

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

yeah it's good

Because you're posting in this, the Salt Thread For Salty People On The Salton Sea.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

yeah it's good

because there are, historically, a lot of real stupid angry mother fuckers itt. fortunately of late they seem to have gone elsewhere.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

The phising email looked like a Gmail link to reset your password.

so, the tech guy is bullshitting, then, right? There's no way the reaction to merely getting a phishing email is "change your password". He didn't typo, he literally fell for it, and is trying to cover his rear end.

jesus loving christ.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Joementum posted:

Yeah, seems like a big part of the problem was that Podesta was using his personal email account, rather than the email system operated by the campaign.

Which, of course, is something they had no way of knowing might cause problems.

His e-mails were destined to be hacked then.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
like stupid outside normal tolerances for cspam. just so, so so god drat dumb and crazy

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Find a reason! :mad:

etalian posted:

His password was passw3rd

Brb, gotta change my account password
*doesn't actually change account password*

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bushiz posted:

so, the tech guy is bullshitting, then, right? There's no way the reaction to merely getting a phishing email is "change your password". He didn't typo, he literally fell for it, and is trying to cover his rear end.

jesus loving christ.

He did include a link to the real Gmail password reset form in his email back to Podesta, but that's not the one John decided to click. :rip:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Bushiz posted:

jesus loving christ.

definitely, considering he would have also had to typo the article from "an illegitimate" to "a legitimate" email. accidentally being a loving moron is preferable to being a loving moron on purpose, I can see why he wouldn't want to own up to it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

because there are, historically, a lot of real stupid angry mother fuckers itt. fortunately of late they seem to have gone elsewhere.

like stupid outside normal tolerances for cspam. just so, so so god drat dumb and crazy

there's so many different flavors of stupid itt and cspam though I'm still not quite sure which particular stupid people you mean

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
also i had one coworker who fell for the fake phishing emails 3 times in a row. i think the it department failed in not alerting the campaign that this staffer was too dumb to use email

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the main stupid posters got hit with probations for retarded posts in D&D, which only means they will come back to C-SPAM to deride D&D and make fun of the posters

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
also fulchrum is still under his week probation which can only go up from here

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
the worst part about tech security is that if it happens on the computer it ain't real so lol gonna click every link and let me tell you about bonzi buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Clinton IT: yes it's fine if podesta uses a personal email, lightning doesn't strike twice in the same

• Locked thread