Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Khorne posted:

Plot twist: The girlfriend wrote this post to mock her boyfriend.

Plot twist: she's not actually his girlfriend, she's just so nice to him that he thinks she is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Jeff summary: I hate my girlfriend because she is extremely sexy and kind

I actually totally get part of this, because my mom does it too. She'll always make small talk with service people, and I always feel kind of awkward about it because I'm sure at least some of them don't care for it, but they always have to appear polite due to their job. It's not annoying enough to be an actual problem, though.

The rest of the stuff though just reeks of insecurity. Her virtues make him closely examine all of his own flaws and he's taking that feeling and making it her fault that he feels that way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

WampaLord posted:

I actually totally get part of this, because my mom does it too. She'll always make small talk with service people, and I always feel kind of awkward about it because I'm sure at least some of them don't care for it, but they always have to appear polite due to their job. It's not annoying enough to be an actual problem, though.

The rest of the stuff though just reeks of insecurity. Her virtues make him closely examine all of his own flaws and he's taking that feeling and making it her fault that he feels that way.
Yeah I do get that part, my out-of-town friends look at me funny when I get in a cab and don't chat with the driver, but the rest is wild to me. Dude must feel like a jerk all the time. Of course, instead of trying to change for the better, he'll just break up with his nice, kind girlfriend. Perhaps he'll shock her into being less kind all the time. :smith:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

She's not a kiss rear end. But I don't really care about having conversations with random people that won't mean anything to my life. And yeah, I feel like she does get taken advantage of. She's smart, she's just too generous. And say I marry her, will she be generous all the time, to people I just really don't care about at all? That doesn't sound like a good marriage to me.

I think the fact that people like this exist and thrive is either a symptom or cause of the downfall of society.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Jeff summary: I hate my girlfriend because she is extremely sexy and kind

What's the title of this one? I want to see everyone mock him.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Khorne posted:

Plot twist: The girlfriend wrote this post to mock her boyfriend.

The fact that this felt infinitely more likely to me than that it was meant sincerely means that I am also not nice enough of a person to date this girl :v:

Seriously though, I'd believe that someone could feel inadequate enough next to a really nice person that they end up resenting them for it (see: Homer with Ned Flanders) but you'd think halfway through typing it up on Reddit to ask if it's worth dumping her over, the self-awareness would kick in at least a little

like, you'd think he'd at least know enough to make the final question "how do I get over this" rather "should I dump her y/n"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

There is so much vile, selfish poo poo in the world. I don't know why you'd want to degrade or resent one of the few truly good people in your life unless you're just extremely ashamed of your own rotten self and can't stand to exist in that kind of contrast.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gaunab posted:

Me 32M with 28F, together 9 months, known for 9 years. Girlfriend is ANNOYINGLY NICE ALL THE TIME

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Me 32M with 28F, together 9 months, known for 9 years. Girlfriend is ANNOYINGLY NICE ALL THE TIME

It's funny because the title makes it sound like she must be really condescending and cloying but the description just makes it sound like she's generous, has a good relationship with her family, and treats people like human beings.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Gaunab posted:

Yeah, she needs to ditch him. He sounds like a self-centered jerk. One of his comments is "And say I marry her, will she be generous all the time, to people I just really don't care about at all? That doesn't sound like a good marriage to me."

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

My [41F] ex wife is angry I [41 M] slept with her ex bff [41 F] I have been divorced for 3 years, is a friend forever off limits?

I was married for 15 years to my ex, it was a great marriage I thought but my ex wanted out, had an affair, we divorced, it's been amicable relationship post divorce. That was 3 years ago, my ex has had a serious relationship with a new man for 2 years and were living together. Her ex bff used to work with her at a business, they had a falling out, and no longer work together. About a month the bff divorced and I saw her on a dating site, we started seeing each other, and slept together. My ex found about recently and is very upset, for two reasons - they had been getting past their problems and working on the friendship and second a bff is off limits! The relationship was not hidden, I don't normally tell my ex who I am dating. The bff wasn't going out to lunch or talking on the phone to my ex, and not telling her this "news" The bff and I never had any type of inappropriate relationship in the past. Does this violate some "bff code"

tl;dr : What is the limit on sleeping and having a relationship with friends of your ex?

Edit-fixed typo, I am not living with ex

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Ah yes, the ol' raging insecurity manifests once again in the form of 'if mommy my girlfriend is nice to OTHER PEOPLE I don't get ALL of the love, and less than all of the love is as bad or worse than no love at all,

that loving whore'.

Edit: this is about the guy who has a girlfriend that's just too nice. I think I dated that guy. He screamed at me in a parking lot for giving a twenty dollar tip to a waitress on our first anniversary because I wanted to make someone else feel happy too.

I no longer felt happy after that.

Tiny Deer fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 13, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Why would she call her ex-husband to complain and not her friend who presumably has a reason to care?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I used to be super nice to everyone I met and talk to random people and look at name tags and call people by their names and stuff and my ex wife resented the gently caress out it. She'd tell me everyone knew I was being a fake rear end in a top hat and stuff.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

what response is there for this guy other than "here is my open hand, please high-five it"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

I do like her. Believe it or not, I care about her a lot. Which is why I don't want to drag it on and waste her or my time more than I need to. I'm starting to think that she needs to be with somebody more similar to her, and I need to be with someone...less intense maybe.

I hope he does a follow-up post. I want to drink the results of this one.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
His concern that people would take advantage of her kinda pissed me off the most: she built her own successful business and managed to stay an excellent human being in the process. She can probably read people better than this schmuck can.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

omnibobb posted:

I used to be super nice to everyone I met and talk to random people and look at name tags and call people by their names and stuff and my ex wife resented the gently caress out it. She'd tell me everyone knew I was being a fake rear end in a top hat and stuff.

Sounds like a wonderful woman.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

what response is there for this guy other than "here is my open hand, please high-five it"

Tell his ex to sit and spin. She had an affair that broke up their marriage, she doesn't get to be the loving morality police.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tiny Deer posted:

Edit: this is about the guy who has a girlfriend that's just too nice. I think I dated that guy. He screamed at me in a parking lot for giving a twenty dollar tip to a waitress on our first anniversary because I wanted to make someone else feel happy too.

I no longer felt happy after that.
I know I'm speaking from a place of privilege but drat, people are so weird about money.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Guy with the nice girlfriend: I guarantee all her friends and his friends are telling her to dump him. I know this because my brother in law seriously undervalued his incredibly kind, sweet fiancé that everyone adored. She was just so amazing and he would publicly criticize her and put her down, and in return everyone, and I mean EVERYONE told her to dump him.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
well did she?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Me [25 M] and my GF [26 F] of 5 years, use different units for the weather (F vs C) and might be heading for a break up over it

His post got deleted the second I finished copy/pasting haha

Celsius is stupid because "it's uncomfortably warm out today" and "this is an appropriate temperature to smoke a brisket" are entirely too loving close to one another.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

scrubs season six posted:

Celsius is stupid because "it's uncomfortably warm out today" and "this is an appropriate temperature to smoke a brisket" are entirely too loving close to one another.

What loving temperature are you cooking meat at, because I think it's probably way too low.

Even super slow cooking methods call for temperatures well above anything you're going to see in nature.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Please don't start the temperature debate again! The problem with the dude in that post was that he wanted his girlfriend to change for him, but wasn't willing to change himself. If it wasn't temperature it would've been something equally as asinine down the road.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

20 and 150 are nowhere near each other

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

20 is uncomfortably warm to you? :psyduck:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
My sister (29F) is picking her cat over my (24F) son (6M) at Christmas

quote:

My sister (29F) and I (24F) basically have not gotten along since I got pregnant with my son (6M, almost 7M). I was living with her at the time (our parents are deceased), and she told me I couldn’t stay there if I was going to have the baby, so she forced me out.

She refused to babysit or help at all for almost 7 full years, though she visited us a couple times a year. Last July I had a medical emergency so she took my son overnight. I got two different versions of what happened, so I’m not really sure, but my sister was mad about how my son was playing with her cat.

I had my son apologize to his auntie, and she made him apologize to the cat…ok. But she told me privately that my son was not welcome back in her home for the foreseeable future, and we could discuss it when he "matured a little and learned how to behave," a dig at my parenting.

My sister and her boyfriend (30M) are having Christmas at their fancy new home this year. A couple mutual friends are coming, as are her boyfriend's parents and brother. I’m invited, but my son is not. My sister says it is way too soon to talk about him coming back over, and that nobody else is bringing children so she wants an adults only day.

I tried compromising by asking her to lock the cat in a room or board the cat for a couple days. She said no because the cat lives there and my son does not. I asked if my son could stay in the spare room with
toys and just join us for dinner, and she still wouldn't compromise.

She knows I don’t have anyone else to spend Christmas with, and she knows I won’t be able to find or afford a sitter on Christmas Eve/day!

tl;dr:
I would like suggestions for making peace with my sister, even if just for the holidays. She won't listen to me or compromise, so I don't know what to do.

How do I explain this to my son? He is excited about Christmas, and I told him all about the big fun party we were going to before my sister told me he couldn't come.
Thanks for your help!
tried to find a sister post in /r/childfree but nothing came up :/

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SirSamVimes posted:

20 is uncomfortably warm to you? :psyduck:

I read it as "comfortably" but even then 30-40 still aren't very close to 150

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Hey buddy you mum's sister is a real bitch so we're gonna have christmas at mcdonalds instead yayyyy!!!

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I know I'm speaking from a place of privilege but drat, people are so weird about money.

It wasn't about the money at all--it was about spending the money on people who weren't him.

I'm going to jump off that guy with the too-nice girlfriend because I'm actually familiar with his kind:

He's not annoyed she's nice, he's jealous that she's nice.

There's a type of person who sees not just love but kindness as a limited resource. That makes the choice of who their partner is kind feel incredibly fraught, because, to this mindset, they're essentially committing emotional infidelity.

Combining this with anyone who is genuinely unusually compassionate, like his girlfriend is, and they can't handle it. They also usually don't know why they can't, or can't articulate it--or do know how to say what they feel, but they know it's inappropriate. 'I feel like my girlfriend is emotionally promiscuous' sounds crazy even to crazy people.

This is just compounded by her being attractive: not only is she emotionally available to anyone, she is physically desired by many people, and he already thinks she's incapable of distinguishing between people emotionally.

Basically he feels like she's capable of abandoning him at any moment, and he punishes her for it consciously or unconsciously.

On the other hand, if she was horribly face-mangled in an acid/blunt trauma accident and became a cynical dick afterwards who was slavishly devoted only to his happiness he still wouldn't be satisfied, because his need for love and affection is so all-encompassing and deeply rooted that it can't be reasonably fulfilled by another human being.

At least that's a theory of mine!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Yes, it's clear in the paragraph about her niceness combined with her good-looks getting her a lot of attention from men that he is very insecure. Secure people tend to not really care about whatever attention their partner is given as long as the partner acts appropriately about it which it sounds like she is.

He is probably one of those people who need to feel superior to their partner in order to feel secure in the relationship. Since she is clearly an accomplished, attractive, generous person with a lot going on, he is drowning in his self-doubt. He should start mediating or therapy or something to get him to understand himself better.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

so what you're saying is he's a narcissist

probably true tbh

also, I will gladly take his kind, loving, beautiful, generous, and successful girlfriend off his hands

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

WampaLord posted:

What loving temperature are you cooking meat at, because I think it's probably way too low.

Even super slow cooking methods call for temperatures well above anything you're going to see in nature.

I didn't say they were the same temperature, did I? The difference between a record high in Phoenix and the inside of a big green egg should be more than 57 degrees. The difference between "better being a jacket" and "it's kinda hot out" should be more than 10 degrees.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

I read it as "comfortably" but even then 30-40 still aren't very close to 150

You don't smoke a brisket at 150C you monster.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

no one cares

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
my wife is hot and friendly and it's a problem

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

His GF has a successful business, is apparently Model Hot and is a Good and Nice Person.

Where do I get mine? I'll appreciate her.

I have a GF, she is no model, but she's sexy and nice, but does not own her own successful business.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

I didn't say they were the same temperature, did I? The difference between a record high in Phoenix and the inside of a big green egg should be more than 57 degrees. The difference between "better being a jacket" and "it's kinda hot out" should be more than 10 degrees.

Water should freeze at zero and turn to steam at 100

any other measurement scale else is literally retarded and makes you retarded by proxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

this heated debate is stupid and lame