Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

My choice of aspect ration kind of depends on the system, really. I mean, NES and SNES are supposed to be stretched horizontally by non-integer scales (by about 1/6th of the non-integer width), and I generally will not play 320x200 DOS games without vertically stretching them by 1.2 to the intended 4:3 aspect ratio that old VGA monitors displayed them at.

But then, sometimes you come across a game that clearly wasn't designed around those ratios - likely because it's a port from a system where the ratio didn't apply. Like, Rayman for DOS struck me as an obvious example; PS1 and Saturn versions are 320x240 as far as I know (hell if I know for the Jaguar version), but the DOS version is 320x200 and doesn't alter the art any.

Actually, I'm almost afraid to ask how bad Mega Man X for DOS looks, given it changes the resolution from 256x224 to 320x200 without redoing any art. So, instead of the art using pixels wider than square, it's using taller ones; everything must look ridiculously skinny as a result...

Yeah, a bit. Maybe not as obvious as I thought, though.

...back to the point, monitors these days are getting big enough to let you use scales on each axis that properly set the aspect ratio to 4:3 while still being integer (eg: 320x200 would be 5x horizontally, 6x vertically, for 1600x1200), so that's nice to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

RZA Encryption posted:

I haven't had a working Game Gear in decades. I didn't remember it looking bad, in fact, I remember being amazed with it, probably because of

There's two major revisions of the Game Gear, the second that was made by Majesco actually has a way better screen and doesn't have capacitor issues.

The screen is still garbage though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Always integer scale please your pixels will thank you

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

My choice of aspect ration kind of depends on the system, really. I mean, NES and SNES are supposed to be stretched horizontally by non-integer scales (by about 1/6th of the non-integer width), and I generally will not play 320x200 DOS games without vertically stretching them by 1.2 to the intended 4:3 aspect ratio that old VGA monitors displayed them at.

Thankfully emulators let you swap between the actual aspect ratio or the console's output ratio so if you like that go nuts.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jimbot posted:

How do you guys respond to someone who asks why you just don't play these older games on an emulator? I just can't seem to make a friend of mine understand why I think playing them on the consoles they were designed on and released for with the original controllers on a CRT TV is just a better experience than using a Xbox 360 controller (or keyboard) with an emulator on a LCD screen. Sure, there's a space and convenience angle but it just feels loving weird to me.

Buy him the cheapest beer you can find. It has the same alcohol content so it must be just as good.

I mean, we're wine snobs. We're the equivalent of wine snobs.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

using the game's native aspect ratio is kind of weird when a lot of this stuff was meant to be stretched, particularly a lot of arcade games are at weird resolutions and the operator is expected to use the monitor controls to get them to fit so everything looks very weird when viewed natively. play street fighter II or raiden 1 at pixel aspect and then force it to 4:3, it's pretty obvious how they were meant to be played

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like square pixels because I'm a loving square.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

flyboi posted:

Always integer scale please your pixels will thank you
There are a lot of people running around on SA with improperly scaled sprite avatars and it makes me want to smash a bro I tell you what!!!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

sinking belle posted:

There are a lot of people running around on SA with improperly scaled sprite avatars and it makes me want to smash a bro I tell you what!!!

Super.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

DalaranJ posted:

Buy him the cheapest beer you can find. It has the same alcohol content so it must be just as good.

I usually say film buff but I think I like that even better.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Stop doing non-integer scaling and play in a goddamn window/with borders like an adult.

I remember when people were wishlisting stuff for the frame meister before it came out, and custom borders were one.

too bad they didn't do fuckin poo poo with it.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there an easy way to do custom sets from no intro packs? I remember someone making dat files or whatever for them, year(s) ago in this thread. I just want a US set of roms and don't want to delve into THEISOZONE with their lame 7 year old ripped up goodgen set with bad dumps of zombies ate my neighbors and such.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is there an easy way to do custom sets from no intro packs? I remember someone making dat files or whatever for them, year(s) ago in this thread. I just want a US set of roms and don't want to delve into THEISOZONE with their lame 7 year old ripped up goodgen set with bad dumps of zombies ate my neighbors and such.

That was me, although you can also pretty easily just do a find for all games with (USA) in the name, move those to another folder, do a spot-check on the remains in case there's a straggler game you want (e.g. Terranigma for SNES as it never had a USA release) and just move those manually to join its friends.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've used ungoodmerge to break apart full good____ sets into sets using a rule like "use JUE/UE/U/E/J in that order and only good dumps and no hacks". It works wonders and has lots of configurable rules around priority, special stuff to include/exclude, etc. One pain in the rear end is that I forgot to tell it to prefer T-Eng to J, so I didn't end up getting translated stuff into my final output, only original non-english copies.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Caitlin posted:

Bonus : zallard1, me and SRK Funkdoc streaming from Twitch during ASX. Stupid audio delay.

Oh hey, I remember this, Splatterhouse and mentions of Galloping Ghost. ASX made me really want to get a AvP CPS2 board.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Based purely on GDQ, Funkdoc is one of my favorite people

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

DalaranJ posted:

Wine snobs oddly fixated on using the prettiest and most expensive glasses, perhaps.

Caitlin posted:

I don't know what to do with some of y'all. Therefore I will distract myself.

Are we posting photos of games and cats again? Awesome, here's mine!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kid Fenris posted:

Wine snobs oddly fixated on using the prettiest and most expensive glasses, perhaps.

that is a suspicious looking cat.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

TheRedEye posted:

I usually say film buff but I think I like that even better.

Hell, why not both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK-YObP1v_Y

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

Consoler clone gamers are looking forward to synthetic wines. The flavors of Dom Perignon in a bottle that contains only ethanol, water, and flavoring compounds. These people use vanilla essence and butter-tasting-spread because it's cheaper but still reminds them of the old days.

Emulation gamers go with sparkling and boxed wine. Why does Champagne have an exclusion on the name champagne, grapes are grapes right? And look, the quality of boxed wines are improving every year. I don't need fragile glass bottles collecting dust in a musty corner.

But the true connoisseurs go directly to the vineyard. They taste at the cask. They make their own wines, experimenting with their own musts. And sure some of it turns to vinegar as old bottles sour and you say to yourself "this was better in 1995" but you can't emulate the real experience.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DalaranJ posted:

The finest vintage is a 1996 Super Mario 64, sealed. Upon first whiff of torn plastic there is the scent of musty factory and aging game store shelf that will dance across the studied palate . Before letting it anywhere near a console, the package must be carefully opened and allowed to breathe for several minutes. Apply a gentle dab of alcohol across the contacts to ensure purity, before blending with a Pikachu Nintendo 64 (2000 Vintage) and serve.

This can be served on its own, or goes wonderfully with Funions and Crystal Pepsi for mouthfeel and subtle aftertaste.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Kid Fenris posted:

I think your cat is in the wrong aspect ratio.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

al-azad posted:

Consoler clone gamers are looking forward to synthetic wines. The flavors of Dom Perignon in a bottle that contains only ethanol, water, and flavoring compounds. These people use vanilla essence and butter-tasting-spread because it's cheaper but still reminds them of the old days.

Emulation gamers go with sparkling and boxed wine. Why does Champagne have an exclusion on the name champagne, grapes are grapes right? And look, the quality of boxed wines are improving every year. I don't need fragile glass bottles collecting dust in a musty corner.

But the true connoisseurs go directly to the vineyard. They taste at the cask. They make their own wines, experimenting with their own musts. And sure some of it turns to vinegar as old bottles sour and you say to yourself "this was better in 1995" but you can't emulate the real experience.

So does this make Steam remasters Three Buck Chuck?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
what constitutes trying to get drunk on mouthwash in this metaphor?

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
Actually I'm going back to the film buff analogy, at least for me.

Film buffs want to watch the best print possible of a movie. Lucky for them, technology has evolved so that the home theater experience is only bringing them closer to the ideal of being able to watch the movie "as it's intended," i.e. on a theater screen. I think most people are capable of understanding why a film fan would prefer to watch a blu-ray of a film on a good screen/projector instead of on a DVD on some Wal Mart TV.

Game "buffs" or w/e want that pure experience too, but new technology has made old stuff look worse, so we have to retain old stuff instead of upgrading to new stuff.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Newgrounds?

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Nah that's huffing paint.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Playing Tiger LCD games.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sprite comics?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Farmville?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TheRedEye posted:

Actually I'm going back to the film buff analogy, at least for me.

Film buffs want to watch the best print possible of a movie. Lucky for them, technology has evolved so that the home theater experience is only bringing them closer to the ideal of being able to watch the movie "as it's intended," i.e. on a theater screen. I think most people are capable of understanding why a film fan would prefer to watch a blu-ray of a film on a good screen/projector instead of on a DVD on some Wal Mart TV.

Game "buffs" or w/e want that pure experience too, but new technology has made old stuff look worse, so we have to retain old stuff instead of upgrading to new stuff.

Well kind of. But original video games are like actual film strips, close to the most pure format you can get it in.

Buying bluray is getting closer to the original resolution. Buying framemeister or hdmi nes is getting closer to the best we can see that game in. Emulators are more like up scaling and hdr+ on tvs (hdr+ is literally the TV trying to do fake hdr on stuff that isn't, essentially a filter)

Now there's some emulators that do try to go as original as possible when emulating but anyone arguing about emulators isn't gonna bring up the super spergy bsnes, they likely mean the same zsnes they've had for a decade.

But either way you can still enjoy the format and the content of the game itself but doing it the authentic way while can be more expensive, feels more real and pure in the end.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

Well kind of. But original video games are like actual film strips, close to the most pure format you can get it in.

Buying bluray is getting closer to the original resolution. Buying framemeister or hdmi nes is getting closer to the best we can see that game in. Emulators are more like up scaling and hdr+ on tvs (hdr+ is literally the TV trying to do fake hdr on stuff that isn't, essentially a filter)

Now there's some emulators that do try to go as original as possible when emulating but anyone arguing about emulators isn't gonna bring up the super spergy bsnes, they likely mean the same zsnes they've had for a decade.

But either way you can still enjoy the format and the content of the game itself but doing it the authentic way while can be more expensive, feels more real and pure in the end.

I didn't know there were audiophiles for video games too

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Improbable Lobster posted:

welcome to the retro gaming thread :retrogames:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Let me tell you about the different audio chip revisions of the Sega Genesis...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

What do you think the entire Framemeister thing is about?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It really is pretty much exactly like collecting vinyl. You will have people say that modern formats are a less accurate way of experiencing the media, but you need to spend way more than a sane person would to see it. And in the end, most of the people collecting the old formats are doing so because it's fun. Filling up a physical shelf with media you love and are nostalgic for can be a very rewarding experience for some people. The act of putting a cartridge in a machine or putting a record on a turntable is more fun for some people than browsing to a folder and clicking on a digital file.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

What do you think the entire Framemeister thing is about?

that actually does something useful, a lot of audiophile stuff is pretty obviously pseudoscience. without a scaler playing old consoles on an HDTV isn't a very good experience and may actually be impossible in some cases. I can't really think of much in this hobby that's as straight up scammy as audiophile stuff

edit: honestly I think the film buff comparison makes a whole lot of sense

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Ouya.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

wa27 posted:

It really is pretty much exactly like collecting vinyl. You will have people say that modern formats are a less accurate way of experiencing the media, but you need to spend way more than a sane person would to see it. And in the end, most of the people collecting the old formats are doing so because it's fun. Filling up a physical shelf with media you love and are nostalgic for can be a very rewarding experience for some people. The act of putting a cartridge in a machine or putting a record on a turntable is more fun for some people than browsing to a folder and clicking on a digital file.

a lot of people don't care to collect the originals but still prefer to play on the real hardware through flash carts, burned CDs etc. I don't really see it the same as vinyl records because the vinyl person prefers the lossy old format over the perfect lossless digital CD while the person who likes to play on hardware prefers the accuracy of the hardware over the "lossy" (inaccurate) emulation. video games are digital to begin with, it's choosing reality over a simulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

d0s posted:

that actually does something useful, a lot of audiophile stuff is pretty obviously pseudoscience. without a scaler playing old consoles on an HDTV isn't a very good experience and may actually be impossible in some cases. I can't really think of much in this hobby that's as straight up scammy as audiophile stuff

edit: honestly I think the film buff comparison makes a whole lot of sense

The idea of comparing NES graphics to 70mm is pretty absurd

• Locked thread