Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh good, religious songs, that's what this 24/7 Christmas music station on the work radio was missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Agean90 posted:

The word adulting.

"Adulting is soooo hard" gently caress u get good you wimp

:mad::hf::mad:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Adulting got the wrong definition. It should be the opposite of babying, like:

"Do you need help cutting your steak?" "Mooom, stop babying me!"

vs

"And then, you need to work out the correct tax bracket, multiply it by..." "MALCOLM! Stop adulting me!"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
If you use Firefox, it shows up in Task Manager as "firefox" and as "plugin container." That's fine. If you use Chrome, it shows up in Task Manager as "chrome" and "chrome" and "chrome" and "chrome", like for some reason it always lists itself five times in Task Manager even if there's only one instance open with a single tab. I guess they don't have it renaming the plugin containers or whatever the way Firefox does? Anyway, it annoys me

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to diagnose and repair my truck and it's 100% that poo poo. How hard is it to just throw up title cards or just say aloud, "There are four bolts right here that need removed" and point at them?

This is the worst. A while back, I was looking up videos on how to replace my car's spark plugs, and every single one was titled poo poo like "how to remove and replace spark plugs in chevy aveo" but then the video would start with the engine cover already off and the old plugs removed. Sure, that poo poo is common knowledge for people who regularly work on cars, but if I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be looking up videos on Youtube! Just show the whole drat process. What's the point of not recording, or editing out, important steps?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Nettles Coterie posted:

This is the worst. A while back, I was looking up videos on how to replace my car's spark plugs, and every single one was titled poo poo like "how to remove and replace spark plugs in chevy aveo" but then the video would start with the engine cover already off and the old plugs removed. Sure, that poo poo is common knowledge for people who regularly work on cars, but if I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be looking up videos on Youtube! Just show the whole drat process. What's the point of not recording, or editing out, important steps?

This so hard. I had to convert my kids' car seats to booster seats last week. Taking apart a booster seat is nearly impossible because if you could take it apart then a car crash could also take it apart. Every video shows me how to do the three easy things then goes "here you want to remove the buckle. I'll skip over that because you don't want to see me taking it off for fifteen minutes."

YES I DO! YES I DO, THAT'S WHY I CLICKED ON YOUR drat VIDEO. DON'T WORRY ABOUT BORING ME, I AIN'T TRYING TO BE ENTERTAINED RIGHT NOW SHOW ME HOW TO DO THIS IMPOSSIBLE THING,

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Nettles Coterie posted:

I got my first ever smartphone in the summer and there were no loving instructions about where to open the phone to put in the sim card, what side of the card faced up, what was down, etc. The videos online showed people unboxing the loving phone and setting it up, but not the sim card at all.

Reminds me of the first time I set up a canister filter. In huge letters it read FILL CANISTER WITH WATER BEFORE RUNNING IT. YOU MUST PRIME THE FILTER OR IT WILL NOT RUN. Note: prime and filling it with water means the same thing. Prime is also a common chemical used to dechlor your tank. So a little confusion could have been dealt with had someone just wrote it better!

Also, filling a canister filter with Prime conditioner will cost you close to $100 of Prime.

In a world where most everyone has access to texting, email, and Facebook, there is really no reason not to be able to contact someone. In other words, if I haven't heard from you, friend, in a month when we usually talk every day, and I leave voicemails and emails and texts and you still don't reply (but I see you active on Facebook), I am assuming I missed whatever fight we had and you're pissed about, and will eventually stop contacting you. Cue person two months later exclaiming they were soooo busy and had a wrist injury and just had no time to talk! Why didn't I contact them sooner! Why am I upset? Why the gently caress am I the one responsible to keep badgering you to insure you're loving alive?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I know I self-quoted but I was just thinking about how much this pissed me off the other day. I'm trying to figure out how to diagnose and repair my truck and it's 100% that poo poo. How hard is it to just throw up title cards or just say aloud, "There are four bolts right here that need removed" and point at them?

"And now just rotate this piece 90 degrees clockwise and lift it off."

*20 seconds of awkward fidgeting and going UHHHHHHHHHHHH and bumping the camera around*

"Oh, also make sure you're holding tension on this other piece while lift that off or it'll eject 4 tiny springs at like 300 mph and you'll never find them again unless they happen to shoot into your eyeball LOL."

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

"And now just rotate this piece 90 degrees clockwise and lift it off."

*20 seconds of awkward fidgeting and going UHHHHHHHHHHHH and bumping the camera around*

"Oh, also make sure you're holding tension on this other piece while lift that off or it'll eject 4 tiny springs at like 300 mph and you'll never find them again unless they happen to shoot into your eyeball LOL."

This bullshit is literally every gun disassembly video on Youtube, why the gently caress can't the manufacturers upload a single official 5 minute video for each model?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

InediblePenguin posted:

If you use Firefox, it shows up in Task Manager as "firefox" and as "plugin container." That's fine. If you use Chrome, it shows up in Task Manager as "chrome" and "chrome" and "chrome" and "chrome", like for some reason it always lists itself five times in Task Manager even if there's only one instance open with a single tab. I guess they don't have it renaming the plugin containers or whatever the way Firefox does? Anyway, it annoys me

I think each chrome tab is its own process entirely, which is why if a script from one tab fucks up in chrome, only that tab is shut down and made unresponsive, whereas the same thing happening in any tab in firefox will kill the whole browser.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why the gently caress am I the one responsible to keep badgering you to insure you're loving alive?

You're not.

Don't. You don't know why he or she went into radio silence, so don't automatically assume it's an injury or some beef.

Sometimes people just want to shut their phones off and do something other than trade inane, inconsequential comments with people online. Getting upset serves no purpose and makes it look like you're wielding guilt like it's a goddamn sword. Next time, try "Hey, saw you went dark for a while. Bet it was nice to get away!" instead of hourly/daily messages saying "A BLOO BLOO I WAS SO UPSET LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO ME"

gently caress, I hate that cell phones/text messaging/social media has created the expectation of instant gratification. I'm out kayaking. Or maybe building a house. Or, poo poo, I may just be marathoning anime and don't want any interruptions. Maybe I did fall and break my leg or get in a car crash or get leukemia or what the hell ever but that's my business and I'll tell you if and when I want to.

I wish people would quit freaking the gently caress out when someone doesn't immediately respond on command as if he or she is the most important thing on the goddamn planet

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
The high speed lane is for passing.

If there are people passing you while you are hogging the high speed lane, GET OUT OF THE WAY YOU STUPID gently caress

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You're not.

Don't. You don't know why he or she went into radio silence, so don't automatically assume it's an injury or some beef.

Sometimes people just want to shut their phones off and do something other than trade inane, inconsequential comments with people online. Getting upset serves no purpose and makes it look like you're wielding guilt like it's a goddamn sword. Next time, try "Hey, saw you went dark for a while. Bet it was nice to get away!" instead of hourly/daily messages saying "A BLOO BLOO I WAS SO UPSET LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO ME"

gently caress, I hate that cell phones/text messaging/social media has created the expectation of instant gratification. I'm out kayaking. Or maybe building a house. Or, poo poo, I may just be marathoning anime and don't want any interruptions. Maybe I did fall and break my leg or get in a car crash or get leukemia or what the hell ever but that's my business and I'll tell you if and when I want to.

I wish people would quit freaking the gently caress out when someone doesn't immediately respond on command as if he or she is the most important thing on the goddamn planet

Did you not read the part of that post that said "month" or do you actually think expecting a response within a month is unreasonable because :laffo:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Thin Privilege posted:

1-a funeral of a family friend who lost his 96 year old grandmother

"How did she die?"

There's only one appropriate category of response to this question under these circumstances, and an example is, "She flipped her vette."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Che Delilas posted:

There's only one appropriate category of response to this question under these circumstances, and an example is, "She flipped her vette."

Or alternatively, she died doing what she loved... Though due to the fatal heart attack they can't finish Granny Gangbang 27.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Indolent Bastard posted:

Or alternatively, she died doing what she loved... Though due to the fatal heart attack they can't finish Granny Gangbang 27.

Eh, the series peaked at 22 imo

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Digirat posted:

Did you not read the part of that post that said "month" or do you actually think expecting a response within a month is unreasonable because :laffo:

Eh, I was being kind of a dick unnecessarily because that poo poo happened to me recently. (Sorry, Cowslips.) Twelve days dark and the police show up twice in the same day. "So-and-so is really concerned. Are you guys fighting?" Are you loving serious? You called the cops twice because you hadn't heard from me and told them you were scared I was mad at you? This was just a friend, by the way, not like my fiance, kid, boss, or something. Not even a friend I talked to on a daily basis. "Yeah she's really scared for you. Are you okay? You should talk to her." gently caress, I will, if only to get her to stop wasting police officers' goddamn time.

I wasn't even mad at her. Or dead. I was just (surprise!) busy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when people get weird about me not liking shows that are considered "classics". I never gave a poo poo about Buffy or Rugrats, the former not out of dislike or disdain but out of a lack of shits given and the latter because I found the babytalk jokes obnoxious and repetitive and hated the artstyle, but if I ever mention it publicly all I get is contarian answers like "It's a classic, how can you hate it?" which is not a rebuttal due to it being my opinion.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate when people get weird about me not liking shows that are considered "classics". I never gave a poo poo about Buffy or Rugrats, the former not out of dislike or disdain but out of a lack of shits given and the latter because I found the babytalk jokes obnoxious and repetitive and hated the artstyle, but if I ever mention it publicly all I get is contarian answers like "It's a classic, how can you hate it?" which is not a rebuttal due to it being my opinion.

On a related note, when someone is flabbergasted that you haven't seen a particular movie/show/whatever. I have a friend who's otherwise great to talk about movies with but she gives me this wide-eyed, slack-jawed expression of disbelief if I admit I haven't seen whatever semi-obscure film as if I'm an alien and she just saw through my human disguise.
I mean, what's wrong with "Oh, it's really good! We should watch it sometime"?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Theres a left turn only lane that I take to get to work and it seems like every other day someone just can't comprehend that a person on a bicycle needs to take a left. During my commute today I had a person ride up my rear end, wildly honking before going around me yelling "Get in the right lane rear end in a top hat!" It's left turn only, why do you think i'm in it?

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Dec 14, 2016

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

hey.... you don't have to keep blasting music..... it's really easy to just....... not do it.........

:smith:

I guess we're gonna look into moving again after our lease is up because it's just been non-stop stress

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hardcordion posted:

On a related note, when someone is flabbergasted that you haven't seen a particular movie/show/whatever. I have a friend who's otherwise great to talk about movies with but she gives me this wide-eyed, slack-jawed expression of disbelief if I admit I haven't seen whatever semi-obscure film as if I'm an alien and she just saw through my human disguise.

For a variety of reasons, I didn't see a lot of movies growing up that a lot of people would consider classical touchstones of the '80s. (I hadn't seen Ghostbusters until a couple years ago, for example.)

So yeah I get this a lot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Snoo posted:

hey.... you don't have to keep blasting music..... it's really easy to just....... not do it.........

:smith:

I guess we're gonna look into moving again after our lease is up because it's just been non-stop stress

If there's any way you can afford it, I recommend doing so. I was able to negotiate a transfer to a top floor apartment in my current apartment community, so I'll be able to get away from my oval office of a neighbor in just two months, and will have no risk of someone above me being like this again.

When there was nonstop stomping and banging and general chaos for 5 loving hours straight yesterday (who throws a party on some random-rear end tuesday? what the gently caress?) it was a very comforting thing to know. Having to live surrounded by noise and assholes who don't care is awful and I hope you can move somewhere better soon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

docbeard posted:

For a variety of reasons, I didn't see a lot of movies growing up that a lot of people would consider classical touchstones of the '80s. (I hadn't seen Ghostbusters until a couple years ago, for example.)

THe annoying part is I have a friend I like to have over and we always watch a movie that he hasn't seen... but he's not interested in watching Cinderella 3, despite it being really good. I just want someone at work I can talk to about that one...

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Nerds who think it's the height of comedy to casually throw misogynistic "jokes", or think people wanting gender equality in things is inherently funny. My brother was watching an Arch Warhammer video (ugh...) where he "takes down" a feminist article about how there isn't great female representation in Warhammer 40k and god drat does it really make me not want to like nerdy things anymore. Maybe this isn't really a pet peeve and more of a legitimate complaint, but holy crap does it get on my nerves.

Here's the "take down" video, if anyone was interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB5PHxHxq-M.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Dec 14, 2016

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

docbeard posted:

This happens to me so much, specifically with the movie Scarface, that I have like a little script in my head of why I've never seen it ready when I tell someone I've never seen it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

docbeard posted:

Same. I'm actually making it a point to catch up, either through used DVDs or whatever is on Netflix.

I haven't finished Breaking Bad either, or ever watched an episode of Game of Thrones, and I don't really care to. Guess that's me out when the 2010's nostalgia wave hits in a few decades (presumably once it's safe to exit the vaults).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Hardcordion posted:

Same here. I love movies, and I'm working my way through a lot of them, but I just didn't grow up in a household where movies were seen as anything other than a time-waster.

Even as I was watching some incredibly highly-regarded movies, my mom would just walk in and say, "What's this garbage?" I didn't grow up in some isolated home-schooled environment. My parents just didn't care.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I work security in a hospital, and our office is next to a restricted area, people frequently ask me for access so if I'm in the office, the door always stays open so people can come in and ask me stuff.

Instead, people like to walk slightly past the wide open door and stare at me through a window directly beside the door until I turn around and see them. Then they mouth out a request to get in without actually staying it. It's not a window that opens, and the door is less than a full step from the window. Why can't people just come to the wide open door, say hello, and state their drat request out loud like a normal person? :argh: It's not even a sometimes thing, every third person or so does it every single day. With the way it's laid out, you HAVE to pass the door to get to the window unless you're leaving the restricted area, so it's not like the solid window is closer

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

queserasera posted:

Re: making the conversation all about yourself, I can't stand people who need to relate someone else's experience to a similar one of theirs in order to comprehend said experience. Believe it or not, unless you're the one doing the processing, nobody in the moment gives a flying gently caress about your journey to understanding.

My mom does this. If you listen to any conversation she is a part of long enough, she always turns it back to her somehow. Perhaps I'm also self-absorbed because I never noticed this until someone, possibly my sister or my uncle, pointed this out and now it's all I ever notice. Now I spend extra time trying not to seem too self-absorbed and never want to talk about myself to people who know both my mother and I.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There has to be a word for the feeling of being lost while driving with someone behind me, so I turn into a safe place so that they can keep driving without my disoriented-rear end slowing them down, only for them to happen to be pulling into the same area I decided to turn into. It happens way too often, and then I get angry at them, like no loving way you just happened to be driving to the parking lot of this closed hardware store at 10 PM. Fine, now excuse me while I back out awkwardly and drive in a circle for five minutes until I can find a place to pull out my GPS.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

THe annoying part is I have a friend I like to have over and we always watch a movie that he hasn't seen... but he's not interested in watching Cinderella 3, despite it being really good. I just want someone at work I can talk to about that one...

If you mean the Disney one, it actually wasn't so bad. Lots of the Disney sequels in that time were loving poo poo, but Cindy 3 was pretty good.

I hate when a simple yes/no will suffice and instead I get a huge story.

Example: we found termite mud tubes in the front of the house. I broke them open and sprayed poo poo all around the area. No new tubes. My friend came over, and when I explained what I was doing (and not to come close because, you know, pesticide wands spray), he asked my mom if we had termites.

Proper answer: Yes, we think so, but this should take care of it.

What she said: Well last weekend Cowslips and I were going to the gym. Well, -I- was going to the gym, Cowslips was going to walk the park to hunt Pokemon, do you play that game? She loves it. Always on it. She caught some Pikachu inside and she said there's some dog or crab thing at the gym so she is going with me, but not to the gym, to the park. So we were going to the gym and we were leaving the house and I saw these tubes! Tubes of mud! So I got out of the car and looked them over and they look like termite tubes! So I asked Cowslips what she thought and she came over and....

And then I worry it's dementia setting in.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

I hate when a simple yes/no will suffice and instead I get a huge story.

Example: we found termite mud tubes in the front of the house. I broke them open and sprayed poo poo all around the area. No new tubes. My friend came over, and when I explained what I was doing (and not to come close because, you know, pesticide wands spray), he asked my mom if we had termites.

Proper answer: Yes, we think so, but this should take care of it.

What she said: Well last weekend Cowslips and I were going to the gym. Well, -I- was going to the gym, Cowslips was going to walk the park to hunt Pokemon, do you play that game? She loves it. Always on it. She caught some Pikachu inside and she said there's some dog or crab thing at the gym so she is going with me, but not to the gym, to the park. So we were going to the gym and we were leaving the house and I saw these tubes! Tubes of mud! So I got out of the car and looked them over and they look like termite tubes! So I asked Cowslips what she thought and she came over and....

And then I worry it's dementia setting in.

Some people just organize their thoughts and memories narratively. Honestly, I think this anecdote is kinda sweet. Just some cold, clipped binary response sort of precludes conversation, you know?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike posted:

The use of "adult" as a verb, especially when in reference to some self-congratulatory poo poo that everyone does. You "adulted" today, you say? You're 30 years old, and you did the laundry. Whoop de loving doo.

Agean90 posted:

The word adulting.

"Adulting is soooo hard" gently caress u get good you wimp

:mad::hf::mad::hf::mad:

I don't know why this particular peeve is so uncommon. I immediately found the whole "adulting" thing condescending and insipid myself.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

speaking of rhetorical poo poo we are tired of: we're just typing on the internet.... there are no hills and no one is dying....

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

YeahTubaMike posted:

:mad::hf::mad::hf::mad:

I don't know why this particular peeve is so uncommon. I immediately found the whole "adulting" thing condescending and insipid myself.

It's a terrible word and a terrible trend or whatever.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Yesterday I posted something someone said to me about adopting cats on facebook after mine died Monday night. It was a sweet sentiment specifically about adopting cats. The second comment was "so true about having kids too, except for the [most of the quote] part." The quote was basically about signing up for grief when we adopt a pet because they'll die before us, but we do it anyway out of love, and most likely will do it again partway through the grieving process.

In what way does that sound anything like having children? People who have to insert their kids into everything are my pet peeve. I know some people think pets aren't as important as kids, but it's been less than 48 hours and I'm still in pain. Can't we just let this be about losing my best friend of 17+ years?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

sorry about your cat :(

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who are way too smart to get roped into MLMs but do anyway because their spouse does. I have a friend who makes more money than I can ever dream to make and let his wife get hooked on that leggings MLM. Now every post is shares of her posting "how are YOU roeing today? #butterysoft #lularoe #hashtag #more hashtags". You work in risk management, if I were your employer and I saw you shilling an obvious pyramid scheme like this I would fire you instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I keep getting yelled at for loving the poo poo out of Christmas and gently caress everyone for it.

Christmas is bright, cheerful, fun, exciting, surprising, delicious and cool. All you assholes that want to hate it? gently caress YOU. Even the music is upbeat, happy poo poo. Ok fine, it repeats too much and you're tired of the same 25 songs. I can understand that, but gently caress you if you hate a whole delightful holiday because you heard I'll Be Home for Christmas one to many times, you Grinch heart having piece of poo poo. Lights! Trees! Polar Bears! SANTA! You're mad at fun you degenerate jerkwads.