Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Literally one of the stupidest things I've ever read in this thread.

give me some time, I'm sure I can come up with something to top it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Krispy Kareem posted:

If you haven't priced SSD's in awhile, they're dirt cheap. I think I got a 400gb Samsung for $150 earlier in the year. Depending on how awesome you want to make your 6 year old laptop you can put two drives in it and rock lots of cheap storage. Right now my Time Machine drive is in my laptop.

I know that's a terrible idea and I actually back everything up to Amazon's cloud, I just haven't had a chance to add a separate Time Machine drive to my home network.

You don't need a backup, a USB to sata cable will do the trick.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Boiled Water posted:

You don't need a backup, a USB to sata cable will do the trick.

I'll probably resort to that. I had a SSD boot failure and Time Machine couldn't access it's own backups (at that time it was plugged into an Airport Extreme like a good backup should be) and I just haven't had a chance to figure out a wired solution since I no longer trust the automatic wireless network backups.

In other news, Amazon updated their Cloud backup app (not S3 or Glacier - their $60/year for unlimited storage plan) and now it has folder sync whereas before you had to do all of that manually. Time Machine is probably going to be my backup of last resort going forward. It looks good and seems to work, but when it doesn't you're boned.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I bought a 200GB microSD that I just leave in the side of my rMBP as a third-line Time Machine destination. Really convenient.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Y'all seem to know you're being retarded about this but it's worth mentioning the gold standard is:

3 backups
2 locations
1 offsite

I'm a die-hard fan of crashplan, because you can do all this on their free tier; just appoint another computer you own/control as a backup location for 'cloud' storage.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

Khablam posted:

Y'all seem to know you're being retarded about this but it's worth mentioning the gold standard is:

3 backups
2 locations
1 offsite

I'm a die-hard fan of crashplan, because you can do all this on their free tier; just appoint another computer you own/control as a backup location for 'cloud' storage.

Yeah, users really need The Gold Standard here and not just Dropbox / Google Drive.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Krispy Kareem posted:

If you haven't priced SSD's in awhile, they're dirt cheap.
FWIW SSD prices are expected to rise in the near future, as smartphones suck up ever more of the precious precious NAND memory chips.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This owns:

https://twitter.com/valross2/status/807938333053775872

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I've just discovered a neat (if ever-so-slightly alarming) party trick you can do with a metal-body macbook. Plug it in with the two-prong ungrounded flip-down adapter, not the three-prong cable. Then ground yourself -- touching a screw on a wall plate works great, but standing barefoot on a hard floor is good enough -- and run your fingers lightly over the casing. Enjoy the tingly sensation of the mild electrical shock as your body acts as the macbook's ground connection.

At least, it does this on my old mbp with the magsafe power connector, I don't know if it still happens with the new usb-c one. But it turns out it's been happening for more than a decade. I guess I'm just the latest one to notice it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Powered Descent posted:

I've just discovered a neat (if ever-so-slightly alarming) party trick you can do with a metal-body macbook. Plug it in with the two-prong ungrounded flip-down adapter, not the three-prong cable. Then ground yourself -- touching a screw on a wall plate works great, but standing barefoot on a hard floor is good enough -- and run your fingers lightly over the casing. Enjoy the tingly sensation of the mild electrical shock as your body acts as the macbook's ground connection.

At least, it does this on my old mbp with the magsafe power connector, I don't know if it still happens with the new usb-c one. But it turns out it's been happening for more than a decade. I guess I'm just the latest one to notice it.

My Dell E6400 does that at work. Yay for not following the electrical code!

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

rsjr posted:

Yeah, users really need The Gold Standard here and not just Dropbox / Google Drive.
Yeah you're right, instead of following his suggestion of making an offsite backup people should follow your entirely different suggestion of putting a backup on google drive.

Wait

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The last place I worked wasn't wired properly and every so often I'd get shocked by the mac's keyboard. Not fun.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Has anyone found a decent USB C to HDMI 2.0 converter yet, the hubs we bought in only support 4k at 24hz :smith:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

CyberPingu posted:

Has anyone found a decent USB C to HDMI 2.0 converter yet, the hubs we bought in only support 4k at 24hz :smith:

This one? http://club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/usb-type-c-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

dongle nation everybody

https://twitter.com/caseyneistat

edit: hmm thought tweets autoexpanded.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 13, 2016

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

dongle nation everybody

God I love Casey. I wish he still daily blogged.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Finally got to play with a touch bar rMBP at the Apple Store. I don't know how you people like this crap. The only rMBP I would buy is the 15" since I use it as my primary machine, and that starts at basically 2500 CAD for 8gb RAM and 256gb SSD, and the touchbar is completely unintuitive. Not having a physical escape key and not being able to force the F-keys to always display (and use Fn to toggle the fancy stuff) is a complete deal-breaker for me.

Really don't know how you guys that like it, do.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Strong Sauce posted:

dongle nation everybody

Remember when Steve wanted to hide as many cables as possible because he hated how cluttered they made a desk look?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

My touchbar mbp is cool. It's almost as worthless as the function keys except I can use a slider for my iTunes volume and that's fun.

Also touchid I guess but I can't use my fingers for when I turn on the computer and I gotta type my password like a loser.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I commented to a friend on Facebook who was talking about his new MacBook Pro that the USBc was a turnoff for me on it, nad he responded that it was "much more versatile"

How

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It is a faster port that can also be used to charge the laptop

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I commented to a friend on Facebook who was talking about his new MacBook Pro that the USBc was a turnoff for me on it, nad he responded that it was "much more versatile"

How

It will be versatile in about 3-4 years. Right now it's kind of poo poo.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Lazyhound posted:

It's this drive (2.5", 1TB, 5200RPM [sic])

10.17MB/s is about right for the highest read speed I actually see in iStat menus. :shrug:

Update:

:woop:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Strong Sauce posted:

dongle nation everybody

The current elegance of Apple computing.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I'm in the market for a new laptop, after getting sick of being tied to my desk with my iMac. I've been looking for a few months, but wanted to wait until the new MacBook pros came out. Unfortunately, they are a lot pricier in the UK than I was expecting.

How is the performance on the MacBook? I'll mainly be using it for web browsing, very occasional light photo and video editing, and the occasional game of Civ V or Kerbal Space Program.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yeah you're right, instead of following his suggestion of making an offsite backup people should follow your entirely different suggestion of putting a backup on google drive.

Wait

A single offsite backup is not The Gold Standard. Look at you putting your data at risk.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Strong Sauce posted:

dongle nation everybody

What the hell did he attach?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Strong Sauce posted:

They do when you link to the actual tweet, not the author's profile page.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That MacBook is so dirty, it's making me sick. Also lmao at the adapter not sitting flush

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Tab8715 posted:

Probably this.

Also switching from an old laptop HD to SSD was much more mindblowing than expected. Everything is like instant. Also RIP Apples better previous laptop design, not only was swapping a breeze but it was simple as hell to clean out any excess dust in the machine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Everything in the blasted house. I'm so
so sick of USB c complaints when I have two ports on my 2015 and I barely ever use more than one yet I keep seeing ham photos of people pretending they need their iPhone and their loving go pro plugged in at same time , so an attachment would be perfectly fine for me. that said I tripped over my MagSafe cord yesterday which surely would have destroyed the 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

Also switching from an old laptop HD to SSD was much more mindblowing than expected. Everything is like instant.

I laughed just yesterday when I realised it was quicker to restart my 2012 mbp with a new SSD in it than it was to manually re-open all the launch programs I'd closed to save battery. It's the best thing ever. It used to take literally minutes to boot and now it's seconds. SSD+Sierra makes it feel brand new.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ethanol posted:

that said I tripped over my MagSafe cord yesterday which surely would have destroyed the 2016

there is a solution https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

but it's basically more dongle

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Has there been a resolution to the MacBook Pro battery life issues? I am getting about 4 hours of battery life per charge just performing light browsing. I do not think my use is intensive at all, definitely do not think it qualifies as anything over light use. Screen brightness is set to 80 and the only programs I am running are safari and Spotify. I'd hate to believe the rumors that the battery life is shorter than advertised are true as I heard most people should be getting 10 hours of use on this machine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nope. Apple just removed the estimated battery remaining time with a software update.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

unlawfulsoup posted:

The current elegance of Apple computing.

You don't have to use all of that poo poo. And if you need to, maybe the computer isn't for you.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Biodome posted:

You don't have to use all of that poo poo. And if you need to, maybe the computer isn't for you.

The computer is definitely not for me, but I find it amusing nonetheless.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Nope. Apple just removed the estimated battery remaining time with a software update.

Those developers showed courage.

Is there any way to dim or turn off the TouchBar? A cursory Google search says no, but it'd be interesting to see how the TouchBar enabled MBP's do battery-wise when that is turned way down or off.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I'm in the market for a new laptop, after getting sick of being tied to my desk with my iMac. I've been looking for a few months, but wanted to wait until the new MacBook pros came out. Unfortunately, they are a lot pricier in the UK than I was expecting.

How is the performance on the MacBook? I'll mainly be using it for web browsing, very occasional light photo and video editing, and the occasional game of Civ V or Kerbal Space Program.

It'll eat a dick trying to play either game, it's really not something you want to game on. It'll thermal throttle playing them and perform poorly.
You can build a basic desktop PC with the cash saved buying a MB over a MBP and play them there though.

ethanol posted:

Everything in the blasted house. I'm so
so sick of USB c complaints when I have two ports on my 2015 and I barely ever use more than one yet I keep seeing ham photos of people pretending they need their iPhone and their loving go pro plugged in at same time , so an attachment would be perfectly fine for me. that said I tripped over my MagSafe cord yesterday which surely would have destroyed the 2016
He's an actual pro, using the macbook pro for work. Basically the thing it's not good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
This thread is so loving whiney, meanwhile the MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar master race is scrubbing through songs and mocking your bitterness