Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Leperflesh posted:

Pretty much every house in the San Francisco Sunset district looks like this, and they all have gates you can only get out of with the buzzer working.

For a city at great risk of an earthquake, San Francisco seems remarkably sanguine about people being burned alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Has San Francisco’s Millennium Tower been posted here?

Luxury high‐rise, leans like a smooth criminal

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Color me suprised that you cant just buy more then the two styles of decorative window bars at Lowes. Functional decorative I mean, not "Hey, you know 1975-ish brooklyn? Except for the 'on fire' part that's totally my aesthetic"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Phanatic posted:

For a city at great risk of an earthquake, San Francisco seems remarkably sanguine about people being burned alive.

They're used to it.

Platystemon posted:

Has San Francisco’s Millennium Tower been posted here?

Luxury high‐rise, leans like a smooth criminal

That whole story is epic and should be posted here. Basically every building in that district is built on piers to bedrock because it was a coastal mud flat until very recently. The fire you see above was kinda when they decided to fill it in......previously the city were selling "water plots" and that whole section (the financial district basically) was floating or kinda semi filled in. It was left a smoking muddy wreck after the fire, so the excavated sand from the nearby hills and filled it in....just on top ove all of the garbage there. There is a section or BART that goes THROUGH A SHIP they tunneled through.

This is not stable ground, yet somehow these developers got away with using friction pilings (read: do not reach bedrock). The expected happened.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/san-franciscos-sinking-tower-space-43831433

Ninja edit: listen to this podcast for more on how this area was filled in: http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/making-up-ground/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah and I really wonder what that building is going to do in a serious earthquake. I kind of think there's a nonzero chance they'll eventually have to basically lift the whole skyscraper on blocks in order to install a proper foundation under it, if such a thing is even possible... the expense will be staggering. The alternative is to condemn and demolish a brand new building.

e. I like that the developers claim the problem is caused by a nearby subway station allowing water to drain. As if a skyscraper should be vulnerable to changes in groundwater in the first place! This thing was built in 2009, it's not like we didn't know that hey, maybe groundwater levels might be... changing... over the next few decades? Maybe?

The blame can't be placed entirely on the developer, though, because at some point the City had to sign off on the design, and that includes the non-anchored pilings.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 10, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

e. I like that the developers claim the problem is caused by a nearby subway station allowing water to drain. As if a skyscraper should be vulnerable to changes in groundwater in the first place! This thing was built in 2009, it's not like we didn't know that hey, maybe groundwater levels might be... changing... over the next few decades? Maybe?

Well please remember that in a number of states it's currently illegal to discuss climate change or make any law or regulation that acknowledges its existence.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

Well please remember that in a number of states it's currently illegal to discuss climate change or make any law or regulation that acknowledges its existence.

Yes, California, a state known for its right-leaning politics and vigorous climate change denialism.

(I live in NC, maybe just a bit bitter).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Northern California is Republican as gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NancyPants posted:

Northern California is Republican as gently caress.

Not The City.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeeeahhhh, California is two deep blue blobs and a strip of light blue along the coast surrounded by a sea of red.

That's the whole point of those dumbass proposals to split the state up six ways, actually. Rather than give "better representation" or whatever, it will create two densely-populated blue states and four sparsely-populated red states, removing a ton of California's power in the electoral college.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 10, 2016

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Just in case anyone questioned it, yes, it really is possible.

https://i.imgur.com/MLxqRm9.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lockout is for chumps, around here we lockin

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That shouldn't even work........

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
We have a similar thing on one breaker at work, but it's a legit, purpose made piece of stamped steel. I was under the impression that the breaker could still trip, but you can't shut must-stay-on circuits off by accident.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One Legged Ninja posted:

We have a similar thing on one breaker at work, but it's a legit, purpose made piece of stamped steel. I was under the impression that the breaker could still trip, but you can't shut must-stay-on circuits off by accident.

Wouldn't it be better to just have a switchless thingie in the first place?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Jerry Cotton posted:

A fuse?

Given the reaction to the breaker, looks likey'd rather use the house itself as the fuse

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know what that circuit runs, but I mean you can't switch the breaker off. Obviously if it trips you need to be able to turn it back on, so you'd have to unscrew the metal device first. At that point you'd probably want to go see why it tripped, though.

I found a helpful blog post with video. His lock can lock it on or off.

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 11, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OSU_Matthew posted:

A fuse?

Given the reaction to the breaker, looks likey'd rather use the house itself as the fuse

The breaker will still trip, you just can't manually open the circuit. You also can't reset the breaker if it trips, but that may be point.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
It's so neatly done, too. Like for a piece of patchwork, anyway. The wire is twisted nicely, tight around the screw, and trimmed so there are no sharp edges.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Would that even work? The switch arms aren't completely connected to the part that trips. That's why to rest a tripped breaker, you need to switch them off first to reattach the arm to the breaker, right?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
It would prevent someone from cutting power to the beer fridge mission critical equipment, either accidentally or maliciously, while still providing overcurrent protection. If it trips, pulling the screw out to reset the breaker is only going to add a few seconds to the process.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Would that even work? The switch arms aren't completely connected to the part that trips. That's why to rest a tripped breaker, you need to switch them off first to reattach the arm to the breaker, right?

The actual mechanism that breaks the circuit in case of a short or overload is internal to the breaker. The external switch allows you to manually open the circuit or the reset the internal mechanism if it trips.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your comment. What that does is stop someone deliberately and manually opening the circuit. As others have said, it won't completely stop someone from actually doing it if they really want, but the way it's set up would indicate whether an opened circuit was deliberate or because of a fault.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 12, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

One Legged Ninja posted:

It would prevent someone from cutting power to the beer fridge mission critical equipment, either accidentally or maliciously, while still providing overcurrent protection.

I wouldn't say "or maliciously" as it wouldn't take more than another few seconds for a malicious person to cut the wire or undo it. It does entirely eliminate accidents though, as well as the ability to brush off a malicious action as an accident. If that breaker gets turned off you can say for sure that someone meant to do it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It might also be there to prevent someone from resetting the breaker over and over if it blows. I've definitely been in a few places where the solution to a circuit breaker popping was "ok go wait there and hit it when it pops" instead of fixing the wiring problem or finding another solution.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Wouldn't it just be easier to padlock the panel door? Hell, some of them have locks built in.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kid sinister posted:

Wouldn't it just be easier to padlock the panel door? Hell, some of them have locks built in.

There are probably situations where you'd want access to the panel but wouldn't want to accidentally trip that particular beer fridge breaker.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes this way is easier.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

I feel like I should frame this or something.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Nuevo posted:

I feel like I should frame this or something.

You should. Then you should hang it on your wall adjacent to another hanging hook.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

kid sinister posted:

At my old job we had our inventory server on a circut breaker directly above the breakers for the store lights that would get shut off every night. After about a week of closers turning off my drat server every other night I just put a piece of masking tape with a big "NO!" on it.

I could see someone doing something a little more extreme than tape for a panel that is accessed all the time but still has one or two critical breakers.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Front doors with glass are terrible because you can’t sneak up on the door, see Jehova’s Witnesses, and sneak away without them knowing you’re home.

Do you really have front doors that just have glass windows in them? Every front door with a window that I've seen, the window is really small and/or has some sort of wire mesh embedded in it to prevent people breaking through it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pidan posted:

Do you really have front doors that just have glass windows in them? Every front door with a window that I've seen, the window is really small and/or has some sort of wire mesh embedded in it to prevent people breaking through it.

Yes. It’s a faux rich thing.

It’s probably on the decline, but the houses featured in McMansion Hell? Those are prime candidates for Welcome Glass™.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 14, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Don't the electric buzzers cut current to unlock the gate? I though that was the proper design to escape when the building is on fire and power shorts out? Certainly the club makes this more difficult though. Maybe I am just thinking of fancier then needed lock designs for rich people that don't appreciate death by fire or asphyxiation.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TheDon01 posted:

At my old job we had our inventory server on a circut breaker directly above the breakers for the store lights that would get shut off every night. After about a week of closers turning off my drat server every other night I just put a piece of masking tape with a big "NO!" on it.

I could see someone doing something a little more extreme than tape for a panel that is accessed all the time but still has one or two critical breakers.

At least you could reach your breakers.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Isn't that loving illegal? :stare: It was a problem when I worked at Safeway; there was almost ALWAYS pallets in front of the breakers in the big don't-put-poo poo-here areas.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

D34THROW posted:

Isn't that loving illegal? :stare: It was a problem when I worked at Safeway; there was almost ALWAYS pallets in front of the breakers in the big don't-put-poo poo-here areas.

Did the managers not give a poo poo, or was it just "if we fired everybody who did that we'd have no employees because we don't pay enough to attract non morons"?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Did the managers not give a poo poo, or was it just "if we fired everybody who did that we'd have no employees because we don't pay enough to attract non morons"?

They always cleaned the zones out if bigwigs were coming in. Except the one in the deli, that was always blocked. We had a whole downstairs area for stock as well that could've handled the 3 or 4 extra pallets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

D34THROW posted:

It is. A specific distance must be clear in front of a breaker panel. The distance goes up the size of the service. I'm surprised the inspector signed off on this.