Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I love Nando you guys know that but Schumi was on another level, the guy was a machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

I love Nando you guys know that but Schumi was on another level, the guy was a machine.

I doubt many people who watched F1 during his reign will rate him that highly solely because of sour grapes and the extent to which Ferrari favored him as a #1 driver.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

I doubt many people who watched F1 during his reign will rate him that highly solely because of sour grapes and the extent to which Ferrari favored him as a #1 driver.

I do. He was obviously the best until he retired.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schumi wasn't good enough for Kimi though.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

El Hefe posted:

Absolutely true. I hated the guy with a passion but he was an absolute beast.

Unpopular opinion: I loved Senna and hatef Prost

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

I hated him with a passion during his reign, but loved to see him when he came back

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't think I've ever watched more than a handful of races in any year he won a championship. I will say his performance in '97 was eye opening and tied with Alonso in 2012 for "Dragging a Ferrari that has no business winning a championship frustratingly close to winning the title."

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The '96 Ferrari was even worse and he managed to put it on Pole 4 times and win 3 races. To put it in to perspective, Irvine retired like 7 or 8 times in a row.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I won't forget how unwatchable Schumi made 2004.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Sir Stirling, who is cool and good, said Fangio was the best, so he's the best. Sir Jackie, who is cool and good, said Clark was the best, so he's the best.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
90s Schumacher was so so much better then everyone else and it makes me laugh when people imply Hakkinen was on a similar level or more 'naturally fast'.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Sir Stirling, who is cool and good, said Fangio was the best, so he's the best. Sir Jackie, who is cool and good, said Clark was the best, so he's the best.

Bernie said Prost was the best of his era, he should know

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

AgentJotun posted:

90s Schumacher was so so much better then everyone else and it makes me laugh when people imply Hakkinen was on a similar level or more 'naturally fast'.

The thing was you had Hill and Are Jacques:canada: who both had faster cars and looked like they were struggling to keep their heads above water and the Mika got a car faster than Michael and he was decent enough to keep to look composed.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

The thing was you had Hill and Are Jacques:canada: who both had faster cars and looked like they were struggling to keep their heads above water and the Mika got a car faster than Michael and he was decent enough to keep to look composed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

hosed up double post

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Beats Scumacher, has a villeneuve-esque meltdown in a title battle against Irvine.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

I had the opposite experience. I was a die-hard schumacher fan after his first season (or whichever it was when he drove around stuck in gear creating a new racing line on the fly and even loving doing a pit stop) which was extremely hard in the UK when OH MY WORD ITS DAMON HILL was everywhere and Schumacher was literally hitler for his hard racing antics.

If anyone seriously wants to understand Schumi they need to watch his first 3 seasons at Ferrari. There are races where he visibly runs masses less aero than anyone else to try to mitigate the shitbox ferrari performance and his controlled/out of control cornering to make that actually work was mesmerising.
That and the one Hungarian GP where he puts in qualifying pace for 20~ laps in a row to try to get a free pitstop.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Khablam posted:

That and the one Hungarian GP where he puts in qualifying pace for 20~ laps in a row to try to get a free pitstop.

That one was mesmerizing.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

In a world of What If's, who would have been considered the worse champion. Irvine or Massa?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'd personally have no issue with either. This sport would be far better if it produced more weird one off champions every ten years or so.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You want weirdos when you could have ice cream bars?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

freeranger posted:

In a world of What If's, who would have been considered the worse champion. Irvine or Massa?

Both would've been brilliant and richly deserved imo. :shrug:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Bit of off-season watching for anybody who is interested.

Documentary about the rise and fall of Group B rallying: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xty1w4_bbc-madness-on-wheels-rallying-s-craziest-years_shortfilms

Documentary about F1 in the 60s and 70s and how the drivers pushed for safety regulations: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14el38_grand-prix-the-killer-years-documentary_auto

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

freeranger posted:

n.rosberg

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

freeranger posted:

The greatest what if is how many times a race weekend Eddie Jordan would bring up Frentzen winning the championship in a Jordan had he managed it in 99.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

freeranger posted:

Irvine, as in a world where Massa was WDC he would have somehow avoided the spring and still been good Massa.

TBH there were a lot of parallels between them, see Europe 99 v Silverstone 08 for the best example.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HJB posted:

Irvine, as in a world where Massa was WDC he would have somehow avoided the spring and still been good Massa.

TBH there were a lot of parallels between them, see Europe 99 v Silverstone 08 for the best example.

In an ideal world McLaren wouldn't have hosed Hamilton's race in China 2007 and he would have been WDC, then Massa would have won in 2008.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

In an ideal world McLaren wouldn't have hosed Hamilton's race in China 2007 and he would have been WDC, then Massa would have won in 2008.

An ideal world includes a Raikkonen WDC.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

freeranger posted:

Irvine.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

wicka posted:

An ideal world includes a Raikkonen WDC.

False

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm sure we all agree that England is a land of frauds with fraudulent TV and fraudulent news services and fraudulent WDCs and that Germany is the only righteous and true land of proper engineering and driving and winning. I did however just look it up and England has something like 8 different drivers with a WDC win, including notable Englishmen such as Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart. The next countries down the list are I believe Brazil and Germany with 3 each, less than half the number of the land of Engs. Quite impressive, though laden with fraud.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Look at you

Look at how wrong you are

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

wicka posted:

Look at you

Look at how wrong you are

Maybe a adrian newey mclaren WDC, but a Ferrari Championship can never be moral. Its like rooting for the nazis in a ww2 movie.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It all started with a quiet man named Michele Alboreto

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I couldn't find the star for the top of my lovely Christmas tree so I had to make do with an angel instead

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Baron Corbyn posted:

I couldn't find the star for the top of my lovely Christmas tree so I had to make do with an angel instead

:chloe:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Theophany posted:

Go on then, off-season question: who do you consider the best F1 driver of all time and who do you consider the best racing driver of all time, regardless of discipline?

For me it has to be Jim Clark as the former and Ari Vatanen as the latter.

At the height of his powers, Schumi was unbeatable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I legitimately think the late 90s F1 field was secretly terrible (what if Wendlinger had turned out different, what if Johnny Herbert hadn't gimped his legs, etc etc) but Schumi's accomplishments in his early career at Benetton clearly show his talent level

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 14, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've said it before too, but Villeneuve is really lucky Schumacher tried to wreck him like a dipshit at Jerez '97, because without that, everyone talks about how Schumacher nearly beat Villeneuve with a far shittier car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theophany posted:

Go on then, off-season question: who do you consider the best F1 driver of all time and who do you consider the best racing driver of all time, regardless of discipline?

For me it has to be Jim Clark as the former and Ari Vatanen as the latter.

Niki Lauda and Freddie Spencer. If bike racers are not allowed, then Niki Lauda and Mario Andretti.

• Locked thread