Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm copying this from my Twitch bio.

Current Weapons
  • Small Dragonbone Shard 13/26
  • Blood Point x 2 10/21 Effect: Siphon
  • Locustlure 8/17 Effect: Walking Sleep
  • Glaive of Marltek 5/24 Effect: Snare
  • Serrated Bone Dirk 8/27 Effect: Engulfing Darkness
  • Summoned: Throwing Dagger 6/36 (Ammo slot)
  • 10 Wooly Spider Silk Net (3 charges of Ensnaring Roots)(I finally got these at level 58.)

Current Armor
  • Cougar Claw Earring x 2 (AC 4 STR +3 DEX +2)
  • Spider Fur Collar (AC 10 STR +7)
  • Sarnak-Hide Mask (AC 6 STR +5)
  • Icepaw Skull Helm (AC22 STA +5)
  • Velium Fire Wedding Ring x 2 (AC 6 HP +65)
  • Crystal Chitin Armplates (AC 18 STR +5 STA +5 HP +10)
  • Mrylokar's Vambraces (AC 18 Effect: Strength of Earth)
  • Silver Chitin Wristbrand x 2 (AC 15 STR +7 DEX +7 HP +40)
  • Silver Chitin Hand Wraps (AC 5 Haste 22%)
  • Barbed Dragonscale Pauldrons (AC 9 STR +5 STA +10 AGI +9)
  • Cloak of Shadows (AC 12 DEX +13)
  • Fungus Covered Scale Tunic (AC 21 Effect: Fungal Regrowth)
  • Spider Fur Belt (AC 10 DEX +5 AGI +5 HP +40)
  • Matchless Dragonleg Breeches (AC 26 DEX +13 STA +9)
  • Barbed Dragonscale Boots (AC 19 STA +9 HP +30)
  • Idol of the Thorned (AC 10 STR +7 STA +10)

Weapons below used from level 25 through late 30s
  • Crystalline Spider Fang 10/22
  • Jagged Chokidai Spine 9/25
  • Dragoon Dirk (in range slot)
  • Embalmers Skinning Knife (procs bandages)

Armor below used from level 25 through late 30s
  • Golden Topaz Earring x 2 (AC 3)
  • Sebilite Scale Neckguard (AC 8)
  • Sarnak-Hide Mask (AC 6 STR +5)
  • Icepaw Skull Helm (AC22 STA +5)
  • Velium Fire Wedding Ring x 2 (AC 6 HP +65)
  • Azure Sleeves (AC 12)
  • Sebilite Scale Bracelet x 2 (AC 9 STR +4)
  • Silver Chitin Hand Wraps (AC 5 Haste 22%)
  • Crested Spaulders (AC 11 STA +6)
  • Cloak of the Ice Bear (AC 8 HP +10)
  • Beer Stained Coldain Tunic (AC 12 STR +5 STA +5 HP +15)
  • Mountain Death Belt (AC 8 HP +25)
  • Sebilite Scale Leggings (AC 16 STR +4)
  • Black Ice Boots (AC 21)

Hunting Grounds
  • Level 1-8 in Steamfont from the newbie area until I maxed out on the kobold camp.
  • Level 8-13 in Butcherblock various mobs, bats, lower goblins, etc.
  • Level 13-14 in West Commons doing large spiders and wisps (some wisps would kick my rear end and I'd have to zone them). Did lightstone quest in SRO after killing wisps for nice exp and 9.5 plat per Giant Lightstone and +Dark Elf faction.
  • Level 14-27 in North Karanas killing willowwisps and doing the lightstone quest. Killing lions and beetles etc. Avoiding griffons and scary fast things. The leveling here is super fast, lightstone quest is ridiculous exp.
  • Level 27-41 in South Karanas doing Aviaks of various types and I a little in LOIO for some Kunark flavor, but ended up going back to Aviaks. I used the bind wound macro from low 30s up to 37 and then stopped using it. It was making things way too easy.
  • Level 41-47 started in FV, but the mob ghosting since patch was making that zone worse than it should be so I moved over to OT and had a much easier time of things by killing (Thorny Succulants, Stoneleer Chickens, Berzerkers) . I'm agnostic so I can bank in OT. Sarnak Berzerker war braids are great exp too and quickly (30 turn-ins) got my faction for the OT hammer (which I have but won't proc till 50).
  • Level 47-49 I was having severe issues because rogues have a low hp pool. Mobs were sending me running for zonelines (strafing of course). I had to rely on North Karana to farm plat, by killing Hill Giants, Griffons, and wisps for the lightstone quest. It took me 2 weeks and I was able to raise 10k for my +5 regen bp (partially helped by a few Swarm Mother kills that netted me things like a blue diamond). I was also able to raise 2.2k to buy the two Blood Points and another 1.4k for a Locustlure. These items combine to help make it possible for me to kill low blues.
  • Level 49-54 Dreadlands killing occasional blues and greens that give exp (light blues). Hitting level 50 opened up better innate hp regen and also allowed me to use blood points for the siphon effect (80 HP life drain). These are important to my ability to solo, and even allow me to kill low blue mobs pretty consistently.
  • Level 54-56 Ocean of Tears killing Seafury Cyclops. This was a camp I had to take up in order to save up enough money for a fungi tunic. It took me roughly 7 weeks to save up enough plat. I also stayed here to earn money for other expensive armor items (ie Matchless Dragonleg Breeches, Silver Chitin Wristband, etc).
  • 57 The Wakening Land killing Tar Goos.
  • 58-59 The Wakening Land killing Geonids and Tar Goos (some still blue even at level 59). South Qeynos bank guards (bye bye Banker faction).

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
My plan is to kill something difficult for my last kill to get 60. Maybe one of the gate guards somewhere (make it Iksar to up the challenge).

The way things are rolling, that could be by this weekend.

Now if you will excuse me. It's 4 o'clock and I must grind.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Going to ask nilbog to give you a custom title "the Masochist".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Gnome loving warrior solo to 60

you are a goddamned legend

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
The warrior was much easier. This rogue solo project has been a humdinger of a challenge.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

I thought I was good soloing a rogue to 52. Had an epic around 48 but no fungi. If I can get a fungi or mrylokar bp I might try again.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

suuma posted:

I don't really get why the community thinks vanilla-Velious is "classic", for me it was Vanilla-PoP; fighting the gods made sense to me as the end of the "classic" era. Once WoW came out EQ got a little absurd, although OoW was nice.

I'm one of those people who thinks of vanilla-Velious as "classic" and it's mainly because of the overall lore. Cats on the moon was just getting too goofy and cartoonish even for a goofy cartoonish mmo. It was also just completely different visually, Luclin was the first major engine overall that EQ had, which began the era of blurry-far-away-textures and it just felt like I was playing a totally different game.

Not to mention the infamous Luclin models, which I actually think look kinda good as long as they don't, ya know, move around or anything.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 13, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Mool, out of curiosity what is the /played time on Sqid? I think his journey serves as a nice benchmark. Really cool posts. :)

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
/play had been broken for awhile unfortunately, not sure if it's been fixed.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Finally logged back on and my 53 Shaman was in OOT. Killed about 10 seafuries. Place is still packed. Would love to try and get back into the game, actually get to 60 and get my epic since I never did in live (quit during Kunark). Dunno how feasible it is unless I just stay in OOT until 60 since I suck at soloing anything remotely difficult. Prior to quiting a couple years ago I remember trying to solo in COM which went OK until I would inevitably run out of mana or get an add or something that set me back to square one. I'd prefer to duo with someone, but finding groups in this game always seemed to take an hour or two, and thats usually how much time I have to play in a session these days.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Dustoph posted:

Finally logged back on and my 53 Shaman was in OOT. Killed about 10 seafuries. Place is still packed. Would love to try and get back into the game, actually get to 60 and get my epic since I never did in live (quit during Kunark). Dunno how feasible it is unless I just stay in OOT until 60 since I suck at soloing anything remotely difficult. Prior to quiting a couple years ago I remember trying to solo in COM which went OK until I would inevitably run out of mana or get an add or something that set me back to square one. I'd prefer to duo with someone, but finding groups in this game always seemed to take an hour or two, and thats usually how much time I have to play in a session these days.

My Mage is like ~18% from 53. I'd be down to duo. We could probably manage to kill some poo poo easily.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Relayer posted:

Not to mention the infamous Luclin models, which I actually think look kinda good as long as they don't, ya know, move around or anything.

Same.
They were too concerned with everyone looking 'epic' and spent like a week doing the animations. Two handed anything... lol.

I even play live with the old models. Was nice for a few years when you could use a mount and be able to duck spells. :D

e:Look how stupid

Herv fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 13, 2016

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Siets posted:

Mool, out of curiosity what is the /played time on Sqid? I think his journey serves as a nice benchmark. Really cool posts. :)

All I can tell you is that I started my rogue on January 22nd of this year. The /played doesn't work on p99 (it used to, and then it got brokeded).

I'm already at 65%.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

did you use any gnoll scrolls Sqid?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I saw tonight that one guild is monopolizing the Plane of Hate mini spawns needed for a few class epics.

They want 500k for the Mage Earth Staff loot rights.

This game is the worst.

edit: I never expected to get the Mage epic anyway, but after grouping with a 58 Mage who had his, I am super jealous.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 14, 2016

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Dirt posted:

My Mage is like ~18% from 53. I'd be down to duo. We could probably manage to kill some poo poo easily.

55 Wizard available. Been scheming a way to get a key to the Hole and tear it up down there.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Pillow Armadillo posted:

55 Wizard available. Been scheming a way to get a key to the Hole and tear it up down there.

I have a hole key! If you can root adds we can duo that poo poo easily! The adds are the only thing stopping me from soloing there. You get 2-3 adds pulling the first elemental every time, and Mages have zero crowd control. But I can summon weapons for the pets that proc DD vs Summoned(elemental) and I get crazy good mana efficient nukes vs summoned stuff.

My pets can wreck those dumb elementals. There is like ~10 mobs right at the entrance on ~12 min spawns, they all drop loam stuff and gems(I want a Loam robe so bad!). Killer loot and a big ZEM there. My pet + plus your roots and the random ice comet = easy xp and loot. If we get that Shaman guy to tag along it would be hilariously easy.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 14, 2016

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Same name in game. Hit me up.

This sounds super fun. I've never been to the hole. going to look up how to get a key.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 14, 2016

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

insulated staircase posted:

did you use any gnoll scrolls Sqid?

Nope. I meant to try that quest, but ended up leveling myself out of my 30s so quickly I didn't get a chance.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

moolchaba posted:

Nope. I meant to try that quest, but ended up leveling myself out of my 30s so quickly I didn't get a chance.

Does the Lightstone quest really work up until 27? I'm baffled that you can just sit in Northern Karana and farm level 9~11 willowisps and that the turn-in still provides good exp until 27. Do I have that right?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

I have a hole key! If you can root adds we can duo that poo poo easily! The adds are the only thing stopping me from soloing there. You get 2-3 adds pulling the first elemental every time, and Mages have zero crowd control. But I can summon weapons for the pets that proc DD vs Summoned(elemental) and I get crazy good mana efficient nukes vs summoned stuff.

My pets can wreck those dumb elementals. There is like ~10 mobs right at the entrance on ~12 min spawns, they all drop loam stuff and gems(I want a Loam robe so bad!). Killer loot and a big ZEM there. My pet + plus your roots and the random ice comet = easy xp and loot. If we get that Shaman guy to tag along it would be hilariously easy.

Sure we don't get root or mez but we can chain earth pets forever. You can do amazing things, break camps, solo a fire giant or similar strength mob, all that fun stuff. To get my pom robe I had to solo lvl 55 ~13k summoners for crowns at lvl 57. Just need fast fingers on the transitions and good timing if they are summoners. Get in there rock! :)

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Siets posted:

Does the Lightstone quest really work up until 27? I'm baffled that you can just sit in Northern Karana and farm level 9~11 willowisps and that the turn-in still provides good exp until 27. Do I have that right?

You can make exp on that quest till level 60. I went back to test at 59 and it took me 20 greater lightstones to get 1%. It was one of best spots to farm plat for my rogue and warrior until reaching mid 50s. Hill giants and Highland Lions too.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

moolchaba posted:

You can make exp on that quest till level 60. I went back to test at 59 and it took me 20 greater lightstones to get 1%. It was one of best spots to farm plat for my rogue and warrior until reaching mid 50s. Hill giants and Highland Lions too.

:stare:

That's got to be some kind of developer oversight.

vvv You've got a good point. :shobon:

Siets fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 14, 2016

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Siets posted:

:stare:

That's got to be some kind of developer oversight.

All the best parts of Everquest are developer oversights.

(AKA "the vision" lol)

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Relayer posted:

All the best parts of Everquest are developer oversights.

(AKA "the vision" lol)

See: Kiting, Hate Lists and Feign Death!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

moolchaba posted:

Did you try continuing to turn in and get another percent? Since the game displays your XP in percent at best, those 20 turn-ins might just have taken you from (for example) 999,500 to 1,000,000 xp points, which meant your display just jumped one percent as it rounds down.

I know it's EQ, but I find it rather unlikely that a quest will continue to give XP like that, since all quests give an absolute number of XP points.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Pilsner posted:

Did you try continuing to turn in and get another percent? Since the game displays your XP in percent at best, those 20 turn-ins might just have taken you from (for example) 999,500 to 1,000,000 xp points, which meant your display just jumped one percent as it rounds down.

I know it's EQ, but I find it rather unlikely that a quest will continue to give XP like that, since all quests give an absolute number of XP points.

That's a good point, I should have done 2% to be more certain. Maybe it takes 30 greater lightstones. At this point, I don't care.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Dirt posted:

You guys going to be on tonight? I'll jump on if so.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Dustoph posted:

You guys going to be on tonight? I'll jump on if so.

Probably wont be on long enough to get a group going, but let's try this anytime next week. Tossed a couple ice comets out last night...they were doing 35-40% damage on the elementals per cast. Gross.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Today is the day. But I'm going to make this last 1% of experience more of a challenge.

In order for me to achieve the goal level of 60, I must do the following:
  • Kill Ogre gate guard in Feerrott.
  • Kill Troll gate guard in Innothule.
  • Kill Kelethin gate guard in Gfay.
  • Kill Iksar gate guards in one of the outdoor zones next to Cabilis until I finally tick over to 60.

If I still haven't leveled by this evening, I'll just throw in the towel and kill geonids in Wakening Lands.

I'll be streaming all of this for the annuls of history.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

moolchaba posted:

Today is the day. But I'm going to make this last 1% of experience more of a challenge.

In order for me to achieve the goal level of 60, I must do the following:
  • Kill Ogre gate guard in Feerrott.
  • Kill Troll gate guard in Innothule.
  • Kill Kelethin gate guard in Gfay.
  • Kill Iksar gate guards in one of the outdoor zones next to Cabilis until I finally tick over to 60.

If I still haven't leveled by this evening, I'll just throw in the towel and kill geonids in Wakening Lands.

I'll be streaming all of this for the annuls of history.

No porting allowed. Must travel by foot or boat.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

then get 99% into 60 :colbert:

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Holy poo poo. Forget this. I killed the ogre guard. Good enough.

Gonna go kill Bulthars in CS now till I level. Tons of hp on those boys, challenging.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Oh yeah!

edit: that's not actual play time, that feature is broken on this server. It's definitely over 100 days though.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 18, 2016

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

[TELL] me about spending 2 1/2 hours to kill a mob on an emulated everquest server

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Orange Red Bull posted:

[TELL] me about spending 2 1/2 hours to kill a mob on an emulated everquest server

I did almost 31k damage to Bouncer Prud. Hahahahahahahahaha :suicide:

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

moolchaba posted:

Oh yeah!

edit: that's not actual play time, that feature is broken on this server. It's definitely over 100 days though.

Congratulations!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
60 is fun.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

nerf rogues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

moolchaba posted:

I did almost 31k damage to Bouncer Prud. Hahahahahahahahaha :suicide:
You did "fungi kiting" to kill him? drat.