Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Maybe they asked people living in neighborhoods where around 1/3 of people actually are Muslim.

Someone on Twitter pointed out that 45% of the people surveyed in France answered "don't know" (you can see it here, on page 19), for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/MichelReijns/status/809044483945930752
Reijns is Dijsselbloem's spokesperson.
2017's gonna be interesting - brexit, french elections, and greek crisis round 3

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

And now I understand why all these nationalist governments are springing up.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Remember the old days when all we had to worry about was nuclear destruction?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

2017's gonna be interesting - brexit, french elections, and greek crisis round 3

The EU is too stupid to survive.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ChainsawCharlie posted:

We truly live in the best of worlds.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

MiddleOne posted:

Liberal democracy's have no real safeguards against this kind of behavior because unless there's something strictly unlawful like spying going on stepping in would be trampling on individuals rights. Lobbying the interests of a foreign state is not a crime and neither is of your 'own volition' acting in accord with the interests of other states. I mean most member states still have laws criminalizing acting against the defensive interests of the nation but that doesn't really correlate to foreign interest.

see also : liberal democracy total absence of safeguards against anime

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Uh oh looks like the jig is up, time to re-boot civilization.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

Can we upgrade Italy to failed-state yet, or will Belgium remain alone at that perch?

Italy's basically been a failed state since the early 90s

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

icantfindaname posted:

1890s

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

icantfindaname posted:

What do you expect from a state that can't even control its own capital.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

ChainsawCharlie posted:

There are increasingly more and more days where I pray for this still.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MiddleOne posted:

The EU is too stupid to survive.

Counterpoint:

The EU governments and populations are, it's just fulfilling their will.

e:

The idea of helping Greece out is great on paper, the problem is that if you go to most people they'll be all "Wait what, out of my taxes?!?? It's the Greeks own fault so let them get out of it themselves, bloody skivers. We've already helped them a lot anyway! And if I had my way that wouldn't have happened either."

Countries outside the Eurozone (like Britain) are those who complain about the lack of action the loudest, but they are also the ones that chortle with glee how smart they are that they don't have Euro and don't have to contribute.

In summary: kill everyone, then yourselves. (this is a joke on a joke forum secret services, please don't jail me ill be good :ohdear:)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 14, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

LemonDrizzle posted:

The context for this is Tsipras pledging to use the surplus to raise pensions and offer VAT relief.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

The context for this is Tsipras pledging to use the surplus to raise pensions and offer VAT relief.
He should drop the dead weight pensioners, what purpose do they serve in restoring the Greek economy? Not even going to comment on a supposed leftist going directly for tax cuts the moment the opportunity presents itself...

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Vat is one of the most regressive taxes there is so this is good?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I'm starting to think this whole EU thing isn't really working out..

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah lowering VAT is something that I would feel is a leftist type of tax break.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Vat is one of the most regressive taxes there is so this is good?

It is good, and thus must be struck down in sacrifice to Our Lady of Austerity.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Says man with a increasing number of boot prints in his face for the seventh time

Edit:i was responding to Orange Sky but your point also stands YF.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 14, 2016

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

orange sky posted:

I'm starting to think this whole EU thing isn't really working out..

It's still a lot better than nothing and achieved plenty of useful things? Don't let perfect be the enemy of good etc, etc. Blind nationalism can be way more lovely than milquetoast liberalism.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Private Speech posted:

It's still a lot better than nothing and achieved plenty of useful things? Don't let perfect be the enemy of good etc, etc. Blind nationalism can be way more lovely than milquetoast liberalism.

In this case perfect isn't the enemy of the good, it's the enemy of the broken.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

So what I gather is; people agree that pensioners should be flushed down the toilet like the turds they are.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

So what I gather is; people agree that pensioners should be flushed down the toilet like the turds they are.

Well, no, but as far as Greek pensioners are concerned the wider population would probably say that they could take a cut on their relatively high retirement incomes.

I'm not saying I'm one of them, but these forums are way to the left of what average people think.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

YF-23 posted:

After even the IWF has repeated its advice to make pensions less of a burden.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Well, no, but as far as Greek pensioners are concerned the wider population would probably say that they could take a cut on their relatively high retirement incomes.

I'm not saying I'm one of them, but these forums are way to the left of what average people think.

You'd misjudge that then. Because of unemployment, lots of non-retired Greek households have had to rely on the (relatively stable) income of retired relatives, and a lot of people in the workforce see the constant attacks on pensions as a threat to their future income once they reach retirement age themselves.

If you think that after 6 years of austerity your average Greek thinks "yeah, I think we could go for more cuts", you are beyond deluded.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's a nice way of shutting down any discussion. Is a one-time Christmas bonus for a specific group of people really the most effective use of the Greek surplus? Might it not be more effective for the Greek economy to spread that money out over the year, or should it maybe be spent on other low-income groups instead, say, the disabled or the homeless? Is it a good idea to piss off your creditors when they are having a fierce debate on the size of the primary surpluses you will have to run, and the most important party on the other side has elections coming up? Couldn't you at least inform them before taking this action, or is your principle of being as independent as possible more important than a chance at reducing the Greek debt load by a sizable amount over the next decades? Whatever you think of all these questions, and even if you do think that Greece's creditors should ease it on the austerity, you simply cannot have these debates because then you're basically in favour of killing grandma.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

YF-23 posted:

If you think that after 6 years of austerity your average Greek thinks "yeah, I think we could go for more cuts", you are beyond deluded.

Oh I'm not talking about the average Greek. And even then Tsipras somehow does right-wing revenue-negative poo poo and he was supposed to be the expression of the desires of Greek left?

Thing is that Greece would have a hard time going at it alone, and everyone else is being shits about it.

e:

I'm in favour of writing off all Greek debt myself to be clear, but it's simply not politically feasible. Best you can do is major creditor cuts.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 14, 2016

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

you simply cannot have these debates because then you're basically in favour of killing grandma.

That's correct.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LemonDrizzle posted:

Nice to see that Dieselboom is still in full "blood for the blood god" mode.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

It still bogles my mind why we arent talking about caping pensions at say 5x minimum wage.updated every 3 years or something.

Edit:actually do the same for income and capital gains,20x minimum wage. higher than that hello 90% tax.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 14, 2016

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Nope. They [the IMF] say Greece should spend an amount on money on pensions that is comparable to that of other European nations. Their pension system runs an 11% of GDP deficit.

I know that facts are things of a bygone era, but if you want to have look at people actually say instead of simply insinuating what makes you feel smuggest, have a look at the criticism of the IMF:

https://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2016/09/23/MS092316-Greece-Staff-Concluding-Statement-of-the-2016-Article-IV-Mission

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Einbauschrank posted:

Nope. They [the IMF] say Greece should spend an amount on money on pensions that is comparable to that of other European nations. Their pension system runs an 11% of GDP deficit.

I know that facts are things of a bygone era, but if you want to have look at people actually say instead of simply insinuating what makes you feel smuggest, have a look at the criticism of the IMF:

https://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2016/09/23/MS092316-Greece-Staff-Concluding-Statement-of-the-2016-Article-IV-Mission
drat, you're touchy. That post had nothing to do with you, it was based on people reacting to me opposing a VAT relief while ignoring the suggestion that pensioners are dead weight that should just be forgot about.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ChainsawCharlie posted:

It still bogles my mind why we arent talking about caping pensions at say 5x minimum wage.updated every 3 years or something.

Edit:actually do the same for income and capital gains,20x minimum wage. higher than that hello 90% tax.

I am in favor of this but imo it would increase tax evasion dramatically.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

orange sky posted:

It would ,thats why it would have to be done along side a complete tax code reform which is one of the actions that the imf keeps hammering about.and also killing offshores (or at least reverting them to their original purpose) so lol it will never happen.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Can someone explain what's going on in Wallonia that could be causing them to turn so hard left?

Additionally, when the next economic crisis hits and N-VA gets liquidated in the popular opinion, will WPB have anything to offer Flemish nationalists or will they just all flock to Vlaams Belang?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

orange sky posted:

Not a problem: just physically eliminate people who fraud. I think that drone strikes should be one of the tools at the disposal of revenue services.

After you murder a couple thousand billionaires, the rest of them should get the message, and they might even pay more of their taxes than they owe as a patriotic gesture. Of course you have to do that again every 50 years because people have short memory and the next generations forget, but hey, that's a small price to pay.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ChainsawCharlie posted:

It would ,thats why it would have to be done along side a complete tax code reform which is one of the actions that the imf keeps hammering about.and also killing offshores (or at least reverting them to their original purpose) so lol it will never happen.

If enough people are for those changes they can happen. We've all just resignated to saying gently caress it. In our relatively small country you'd just need to get the message out. But the press is all bought so it really has to be grassroots.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

orange sky posted:

If enough people are for those changes they can happen. We've all just resignated to saying gently caress it. In our relatively small country you'd just need to get the message out. But the press is all bought so it really has to be grassroots.

Ei Man im a comunist i know all about howling against the Wind.the problem is that the Wind keeps spitting in my face and screaming that i eat babies for breakfast.

That bit on capital gains is actually lifted from a paper by the economic comitee of the pcp.its a incredibly complex matter especialy in a monetary Union and basicaly it has to be fixed on the eu level.ill see if i can find it when not phone posting.
hell so much can be fixed at the eu level.so pester your eu representative by email,facebook,Twitter candygram even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cat Mattress posted:

Not a problem: just physically eliminate people who fraud. I think that drone strikes should be one of the tools at the disposal of revenue services.

After you murder a couple thousand billionaires, the rest of them should get the message, and they might even pay more of their taxes than they owe as a patriotic gesture. Of course you have to do that again every 50 years because people have short memory and the next generations forget, but hey, that's a small price to pay.

I would vote for the guy saying this.