Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
oh gods

quote:

The only metric that people involved in the operations say they ever heard headquarters interested in was how many volunteer shifts had been signed up — though the volunteers were never given the now-standard handheld devices to input the responses they got in the field, and Brooklyn mandated that they not worry about data entry. Operatives watched packets of real-time voter information piled up in bins at the coordinated campaign headquarters. The sheets were updated only when they got ripped, or soaked with coffee. Existing packets with notes from the volunteers, including highlighting how much Trump inclination there was among some of the white male union members the Clinton campaign was sure would be with her, were tossed in the garbage.

Every paragraph makes it worse. Every one is worth quoting.

In a nation of reality-denying echo chambers, the Clinton campaign somehow managed to top the list as the stupidest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

Hillary is Pappy O'Daniel, I will keep saying this until it becomes A Thing

I just can't decide if Trump is Homer Stokes or if he's the Devil-Sheriff, because "The law?!? The law is a...human institution!" is a very Trump attitude.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Perhaps also without the constant fart based insults too

Are you kidding that's the best part!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hillary and her team really hosed up

Then they hosed up even bigger the second time

I can only imagine how monumental the third fuckup will be

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lord of Pie posted:

Hillary and her team really hosed up

Then they hosed up even bigger the second time

I can only imagine how monumental the third fuckup will be

the third fuckup will be Hindsight 2020

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

GlyphGryph posted:

oh gods

Every paragraph makes it worse. Every one is worth quoting.

In a nation of reality-denying echo chambers, the Clinton campaign somehow managed to top the list as the stupidest.

I mean, are you surprised?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pollyanna posted:

the third fuckup will be Hindsight 2020

nice

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thoguh posted:

I mean, are you surprised?

I actually am. Hillary Clinton is many things, but I never would have put "idiot" on the list. (Then again, I doubt she had much to do with direct campaign strategy, so "person who hires idiots" is probably more accurate.)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Remember when everyone was talking about how Trump couldn't match up to Clinton's ground game? Lmao.

so obama's 3.5% bump was just pollsters loving up lv screens right? Not some sort of secret weapon ground game advantage?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

2020: I hope they're tired of all that winning

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

docbeard posted:

I just can't decide if Trump is Homer Stokes or if he's the Devil-Sheriff, because "The law?!? The law is a...human institution!" is a very Trump attitude.

Homer Stokes ran on a campaign to "sweep this state clean" and was also a KKK Grand Dragon, the comparison is fairly clear

but yeah you can see a little Trump in other characters too (Big Dan maybe?)

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

He also didn't believe in a ground game, which the lack of one cost Hillary the election

Even Trump supporters in these threads usually conceded that Hillary would take advantage of the Obama machine and it's ground game. It's infuriating to now learn that she didn't.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

I actually am. Hillary Clinton is many things, but I never would have put "idiot" on the list. (Then again, I doubt she had much to do with direct campaign strategy, so "person who hires idiots" is probably more accurate.)

would you now?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GlyphGryph posted:

Existing packets with notes from the volunteers, including highlighting how much Trump inclination there was among some of the white male union members the Clinton campaign was sure would be with her, were tossed in the garbage.

What the gently caress.

What's the point of spending oodles of money on a voter database if you're just going to use it?

Edit:
Dammit, I forgot to include the word 'not'

Dr. Arbitrary has issued a correction as of 17:52 on Dec 14, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What the gently caress.

What's the point of spending oodles of money on a voter database if you're just going to use it?

I think we found the illegitimate / legitimate computer janitor.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

What's the point of [thing Clinton campaign did] if you're just going to ignore [demographic that lost her election]?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What the gently caress.

Compile a list of people to purge when you enact Neoliberal Order 66.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lmao that the Clinton campaign, located in Brooklyn, NY, didn't have a single person in charge of data management. Apparently they couldn't find one person in the entirety of New York with data experience.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

docbeard posted:

Come on dude he is obviously "Big Dan" Teague.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sojenus posted:

What's the point of [thing Clinton campaign did] if you're just going to ignore [demographic that lost her election]?

because she lost in a lot of areas due to depressed dem turnout. Trump winning the election literally only with the white vote SHOULDN'T be a winning plan, it historically isn't, but when you have that issue combined with a hosed ground game yea, the white nationalist wins.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Hillary's campaign reminds me of this special ed kid I knew in middle school who was super into yu-gi-oh and would play with people but he'd cheat by stacking his deck and he'd end up losing anyway

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

personally I think her campaign didn't have enough katy perry and that was a fatal error

on top of all the other dumb bullshit

also I just tried to swype the word bullshit on my phone and it autocorrected to hillary

this is why windows phone is best

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Baloogan posted:

I think we found the illegitimate / legitimate computer janitor.

the hillary campaign fucks computers and cums in them????

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

Y'all got owned by the dumbest people on the planet. Insult to injury.

If we lost everyone would go "lamo trump is why they lost, you can't do politics that way" Would suck but wouldn't be insulting.

like, yall lost to the guys who wore red hats with make america great on them. you lost to the people who you despise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XISxIKwnQk

PolitiFact rates this True.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Alright, Senator Clinton. You have the entirety of the Democratic political machine behind you. All you have to do is take one single Midwestern swing state, because your opponent's path to victory requires that he take every single one of them. What will you do?"

"...the Clintons are going to Texas!"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lmao that the Clinton campaign, located in Brooklyn, NY, didn't have a single person in charge of data management. Apparently they couldn't find one person in the entirety of New York with data experience.

not one that wasn't also a big donor's cousin or nephew, so not worth hiring.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
She'd probably have screwed up the presidency anyways

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

"Alright, Senator Clinton. You have the entirety of the Democratic political machine behind you. All you have to do is take one single Midwestern swing state, because your opponent's path to victory requires that he take every single one of them. What will you do?"

Hell it's even worse. She could have started laying groundwork to flip places like TX and AZ and literally ALL SHE HAD TO DO WAS NOT IGNORE THE MIDWEST. Like, there is nothing wrong with working on future plans in other states as long as you're paying literally any attention to the ones you need!

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

one benefit of reading all of the Clinton Ran A Bad Campaign articles besides "how not to politics" lessons is the ability to yell "YA MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

FactsAreUseless posted:

"How about, stay with me here, how about as a form of reverse psychology we, get this, we reverse the psychology and ignore them completely, dumping all of our resources into states that don't matter. And we'll, when we do that, maybe the other guy will look at us and say, you know 'hey, maybe they know something we don't', and he'll be stupid enough to do the same thing, because if there is one thing we know about, like, opponents in general, not this specific opponent, not Donald J Trump, but in general, it's that they just love to look at their opponents doing stupid things and say 'I should be doing that too'. So you know, that's the plan. We're gonna psyche him out."

"You have raised over twice as much money as him, and you could outspend him in these states easily, and if he doesn't follow your lead and actually visits these important states he will have no opposition. Are you sure that is the best course of action?"

"Oh, absolutely."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

HILLARY!!!!!!

One day the country will come to appreciate what it has gained or lost in this election. :allears:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
My buddy, who volunteered on the Clinton Campaign, had to pay $5 to get a Veterans for Hillary button.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Um, excuse me, I believe it's Secretary Clinton.

*clutches pearls, writes full week of Salon and HuffPo articles about how FactsAreUseless is a closet misogynist*

I can't believe I realized just now that this was legitimately a strategy--make mountains out of molehills and miss the larger picture.

Fritz Coldcockin has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Dec 14, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

hey babe, wanna go on a data?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Um, excuse me, I believe it's Secretary Clinton.

*week of Salon and HuffPo articles about how FactsAreUseless is a closet misogynist*
Lmfao right, I forgot what her title was

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Accretionist posted:

She'd probably have screwed up the presidency anyways

thats a nice idea, but trump is currently packing his cabinet with people who actively want to dismantle the thing they have authority over. maybe some of them will want to retain as much power as possible and will actually expand their agency, im thinking something like that might happen with energy

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Baloogan posted:

hey babe, wanna go on a data?
"Eh, I'm good." -- Secretary Hillary Clinton

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My friends hot take on this article: "I don't think any strategy could have won, no use examining these errors"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Baloogan posted:

the entire campaign from top to bottom was playing dwarf fortress

now they are playing liberal crime squad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

greatn posted:

My friends hot take on this article: "I don't think any strategy could have won, no use examining these errors"

Sounds about right, culture of the Clinton Campaign, in my personal experience, was any critique of Clintons messaging or campaign was met with "that (whatever critique) is just misogyny", and critique on where they were allocating resources was met with "there's people much smarter than you, with lots of data and algorithms, deciding these things".

• Locked thread