Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hackbunny posted:

joke's on you! it's already done and I'm doing a postmortem. last week I had five days off and I used them well

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

hackbunny posted:

too late! I already have lines like these:
C++ code:
static_assert(get<long>(either<int, long, double>(in_place_index<1>, 10)) == 10);
static_assert(visit([](auto v) { return v; }, either<int, long, double>(in_place_index<2>, 1.0)) == 1);

hackbunny posted:

last week I had five days off and I used them well
Wrong!

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

hackbunny posted:

do tell, by now I may even understand

the commit under review is here. a lot of stuff is similar to what you or i have done but there are some neat tricks for dealing with types that have a deleted destructor

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

the commit under review is here. a lot of stuff is similar to what you or i have done but there are some neat tricks for dealing with types that have a deleted destructor

:cthulhu: fhtagn

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

There are probably people out there, to whom the least legible part are the __ugly names. :v:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

oh, macros. right. I literally forgot that I could use macros to avoid code duplication. I won't use macros! there will be duplication!

and I give up trying to fully understand it. their implementation of visit seems awfully complicated though

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
just discovered that java has unsigned integer support!

https://blogs.oracle.com/darcy/entry/unsigned_api

:lol:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
welcome to java, where bytes are signed and chars are 16-bit and unsigned

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
is this better or worse than c where chars are signed, chars are unsigned, and chars are also just plain chars?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

is this better or worse than c where chars are signed, chars are unsigned, and chars are also just plain chars?

worse, because at least in c you can always say what you want and get it.

writing any kind of byte-munging or crypto in java is painful. fortunately most of that kind of thing has already been written for you so it's not necessary very often.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
signed byte is the worst. what a shocking bad idea

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
reading the apologia for java's lack of unsigned is always amusing. it basically always boils down to "well i don't need it" along with complaints that some nebulous form of "complexity" would be introduced.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i ain't gonna apologize for that poo poo, it's the worst thing about java by far

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
sometimes you forget about the byte wankery in java but then it bites you in the rear end and you remember and get angry

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

anyone who programs in java professionally is losing ground on the computer industry

never program in java

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

its bad imo

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

anyone who programs in java professionally is losing ground on the computer industry

never program in java

haha nope

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

carry on then posted:

never program in java

lol

actually it's very good, for things that don't involve manipulating unsigned integers, which coincidentally is most things.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

HappyHippo posted:

just discovered that java has unsigned integer support!

https://blogs.oracle.com/darcy/entry/unsigned_api

:lol:

"the unsigned API support does not introduce new types like UnsignedInt with instance methods to perform addition, subtraction, etc. However, that lack of separate Java-level unsigned types does mean a programmer can accidentally improperly mix signed and unsigned values. However, new unsigned types aren't the only way to mitigate this hazard. For example, a naming convention of adding a trailing "U" or "_U" to variables holding unsigned values could be adopted."

loving lmao, this can't be for real

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
java is soul crushing

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

redleader posted:

"the unsigned API support does not introduce new types like UnsignedInt with instance methods to perform addition, subtraction, etc. However, that lack of separate Java-level unsigned types does mean a programmer can accidentally improperly mix signed and unsigned values. However, new unsigned types aren't the only way to mitigate this hazard. For example, a naming convention of adding a trailing "U" or "_U" to variables holding unsigned values could be adopted."

loving lmao, this can't be for real

the "good" thing about java is exactly how slowly it moves. note how nowhere in the article is said that the language will, in fact, change. the furthest the guy dares speculate is a proposed @Unsigned attribute

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

java is soul crushing

imo it's way more soul crushing to work on CADT driven javascript bullshit or trying to get poo poo done in cool languages with utterly miserable tool chains.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

java is soul crushing

I'm sorry the problems you work on are so boring that you have to make your work interesting and challenging by using fad languages and the latest half-finished reinvented wheels

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

I'm sorry the problems you work on are so boring that you have to make your work interesting and challenging by using fad languages and the latest half-finished reinvented wheels

thanks, it really does suck

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

carry on then posted:

never program in java

aren't you the moron who likes go

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JewKiller 3000 posted:

aren't you the moron who likes go

me, pram, YES ON 69 (or something), and uncurably m'lady are the go apologists that i am aware of

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
don't apologise, just go

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

just write c# or don't program at all tbh

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm always interested when people talk about Java being boring or Java being good.

i'm not sure it's necessary for a language to both be interesting to work in and to be "good" for however you want to define the word

i mean, it certainly seems plausible for whatever language to be good at developing correct and safe software while at the same time being boring and soul-crushing to work with, no?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Soricidus posted:

I've heard of worse jobs :shrug:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I'm always interested when people talk about Java being boring or Java being good.

i'm not sure it's necessary for a language to both be interesting to work in and to be "good" for however you want to define the word

i mean, it certainly seems plausible for whatever language to be good at developing correct and safe software while at the same time being boring and soul-crushing to work with, no?

it's kind of like how exciting cars also tend to be expensive, unsafe, unreliable, and generally utterly impractical for everyday use. but with computers.

I'll read about fun languages and maybe tinker with them in my spare time, but when there's real work to be done, you bet I'm gonna reach for the java

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
yeah, in the programming language universe I associate the word "exciting" with things like "untested", "unstable", "quirky", "surprising", "not immediately transparently obvious" and "infuriating"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Thermopyle posted:

when i say java is soul crushing, i don't for a moment mean that it is bad.

if someone came to me with a real problem to solve and i was interested in solving it quickly and correctly, I would choose java and be happy about it.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

triple sulk posted:

just write c# or don't program at all tbh

java is also acceptable, it's like c# circa 3.0.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jony neuemonic posted:

java is also acceptable

not at all

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

when i say java is soul crushing, i don't for a moment mean that it is bad.

if someone came to me with a real problem to solve and i was interested in solving it quickly and correctly, I would choose java and be happy about it.

why don't you just say your jobs sucks friend

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

jony neuemonic posted:

java is also acceptable, it's like c# circa 3.0.

C# circa 3.0 BC maybe

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
java is actually cool and good. c# may be better but then you're a windows programmer and lol talk about a career limiting move

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

JewKiller 3000 posted:

java is actually cool and good. c# may be better but then you're a windows programmer and lol talk about a career limiting move

.NET Core is actually coming along pretty swimmingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
it's kind of crazy how go is literally two features (dependencies and generics) away from being usable and those are the two features they refuse to even consider