Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That Berger won a race in the twilight of his career after missing two races in a Benetton is all you need to know about the depth of skill in the late 90s field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Alain Post posted:

I legitimately think the late 90s F1 field was secretly terrible but Schumi's accomplishments in his early career at Benetton clearly show his talent level

It generally was quite poor and Schumacher was just so far ahead and then he got the car and the team to really dominate and well we saw what happened. On the flip side Adrian Newey made alot of average drivers WC because he was also so far ahead of most at that time.

Think in that sky interview with Irvine a few years back he basically said if you wanted to be world champion you were either Michael Schumacher or drove an adrian newey car.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Baron Corbyn posted:

The greatest what if is how many times a race weekend Eddie Jordan would bring up Frentzen winning the championship in a Jordan had he managed it in 99.

HHF was the Alain Post Driver Of The Year in 1999. Ralf Schumacher was 2nd.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
From 1995 to 2000 there really wasn't anybody who could touch Michael on skill alone. The guy who should have been his main rival died.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

That Berger won a race in the twilight of his career after missing two races in a Benetton is all you need to know about the depth of skill in the late 90s field

Let's throw 1996 in here as well. Old/Older dudes from the 80s golden era were still very competitive.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looking for talent in the mid-90s leads down dark roads like "what if Karl Wendlinger hadn't nearly died" and "Olivier Panis was kinda good before his injury right"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

We're firmly into "saying bad things about Mika" territory and I'm losing it folks I'm really losing it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Mika but his performance in 1999 was so bizarre that I once listed it as one of the worst performances by a defending champion in F1 history despite the fact that he actually defended the title. Who the hell melts down against Eddie Irvine and HHF, seriously

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The HHF thing is more surprising because it was a smallish British team with engines made in a shed in Shizuoka.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Looking for talent in the mid-90s leads down dark roads like "what if Karl Wendlinger hadn't nearly died" and "Olivier Panis was kinda good before his injury right"

JC Bouillion vanishing off the face of the earth after 1995.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Who the hell melts down against Eddie Irvine and HHF, seriously

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alain Post posted:

I like Mika but his performance in 1999 was so bizarre that I once listed it as one of the worst performances by a defending champion in F1 history despite the fact that he actually defended the title. Who the hell melts down against Eddie Irvine and HHF, seriously

Ask Lewis.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Jochen Rindt did a better job defending his championship than Mika did in 99

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

1500quidporsche posted:

Jochen Rindt did a better job defending his championship than Mika did in 99

Bit stiff that

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

melts down

You guys ever see your entire self suddenly explained in front of your eyes?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

Ask Lewis.

That's not comparable. It would be like Lewis Melting down to Ricciardo and Sergio Perez.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ricciardo is too good it'd be like if Kvyat was a real title contender and Lewis looked like he was cracking under the pressure.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of Red Bull, if they swapped Verstappen and Kyvat at the start of the year, do you think Max would have taken 4th in WDC instead of Seb?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mika also disgraced himself with his performance in the 1999 European GP.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

http://wtf1.co.uk/pastor-maldonado-expects-return-f1-grid-2017/

The return of Big Pastor?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The biggest laugh in that article is the classification of Sauber as a midfield team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How many people with super licenses without a ride said they're open to driving F1 this year? Rossi seems planted in Indy, same with Simon Pagenaud and Will Power (winning Indy gives you 40 points towards one, which enough to qualify for one, and Power has 50 points). Technically JPM qualified for one :newlol:, but he's done with open wheel except the 500.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Which was the race where Schumi was stuck in fifth gear for pretty much the entire thing and still somehow managed to get on the podium? Was it Schumi? I know it was in the late 90s/early 2000s

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Which was the race where Schumi was stuck in fifth gear for pretty much the entire thing and still somehow managed to get on the podium? Was it Schumi? I know it was in the late 90s/early 2000s

Spain 1994.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You really don't see cars getting stuck in gear very much anymore.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

You really don't see cars getting stuck in gear very much anymore.

Usually because they retire them if they do, natch.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I do. He was obviously the best until he retarded.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:eyepoop:

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Alain Post posted:

Frentzen was cool, and good.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
HHF should have amounted to more, I thought.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

HHF should have amounted to more, I thought.

The dude's basically Heidfeld with some wins.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that's a pretty accurate description.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I went to a motorsport merchandise warehouse sale last weekend. They had F1 gear from around 2008 to current year. Got my friend an Alonso Ferrari hat, since he's a big Alonso and Ferrari fan, and I got myself a 2015 Red Bull jacket for half price.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

You Am I posted:

I got myself a 2015 Red Bull jacket for half price.

u paid 2 much

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Alain Post posted:

Spain 1994.

I was looking up some clips of this and a YouTube comment managed to get a "heh" out of me

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I've said it before too, but Villeneuve is really lucky Schumacher tried to wreck him like a dipshit at Jerez '97, because without that, everyone talks about how Schumacher nearly beat Villeneuve with a far shittier car

Jacques Villeneuve almost threw away a championship in An Amazing Newey Car. Schumacher's lunge to get himself DQed from 1997 and inability to capitalize a few other places really made Jack look a whole lot better than he deserves to be remembered on the balance, and Williams that year too. Imagine if they still had Hill that year instead of garbageman HHF?

(Reminder that Schumacher was literally Mr. Steal Yo Girl to HHF as well)

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Jacques Villeneuve owns and he's always right about everything he says

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Alain Post Analysis of Mika Hakkinen

+ one of the best helmet designs of all time
+ almost died and then came back, which was cool
+ 2000 is a great effort considering that Ferrari and McLaren were close to parity by then

- didn't win in forever and then his first two wins were arguably gifted to him
- melted down against Eddie Irvine
- repeating the fact that he nearly lost a title to Eddie Irvine, who had a worse car

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

The Alain Post Analysis of Mika Hakkinen

+ one of the best helmet designs of all time

I always knew you were one of the good ones.

This thread is now about our favorite helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Elio de Angelis, as a Simpson M30

• Locked thread