Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I'm not totally surprised by most of these people (I even expected a falloff from Deng, albeit not so severe . . . it's funny it's his two point shot that seems to be really suffering), but the Sessions one is kind of surprising just because his career is basically built on being an efficient (because he can only create shots on the drive and otherwise is catch and shoot!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Jack's Flow posted:

Are you excited to pay $6000+ for the Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment experience:

YOGI FERRELL!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/sports/basketball/brooklyn-nets-barclays-center-vip-experience.html

I had no idea there was a player named Yogi Ferrell. Why anyone would even think to ask for his autograph is insane to me.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

How are Evan Turner and Allen Crabbe not on this list?

Neither guy has seen anywhere near as severe a drop off.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Oh man does anyone have those? That was the best. Between that and his mom mean mugging the poo poo out of opposing fans the brief moment where JaVale was a relevant NBA player was one of the favorite periods of recent NBA history

I wish archives/search weren't busted or I'd find that youtube clip of John Wall just GTFOing to the lockerroom as Nick Young threw up a brick before half-time.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

WhyteRyce posted:

I wish archives/search weren't busted or I'd find that youtube clip of John Wall just GTFOing to the lockerroom as Nick Young threw up a brick before half-time.

My favorite was hands-on-hips, head shaking at Javale

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Hell if there's something wrong with a bunch of spanish players being retarded to win a gold medal, I dont want to be right
The best part about that was the fact that only reason why it all came to light was that the Spanish Paralympics org unknowingly hired an investigative journalist to be one of their ringers on said basketball team.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Demarcus Cousins is out for "planned rest" tonight against the Rockets despite no Kings games yesterday or tomorrow.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Rick posted:

Tyson Chandler has been one of the dirtiest players in the league for the last ten years, and on top of that almost gets away with it completely.

Although I guess off the court he's like super nice I hear, so maybe doesn't fit the jerk definition.

That's a good point. I guess I was thinking of players who are overtly aggressive and have some attitude. Kind of the "enforcer" archetype.

The Morris twins sort of fit the bill too but they were more likely to get into it with a ref or coach than other players.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

Oh man does anyone have those? That was the best. Between that and his mom mean mugging the poo poo out of opposing fans the brief moment where JaVale was a relevant NBA player was one of the favorite periods of recent NBA history

Best gif

This Block is Fine.

(John Wall head turn is the best part)

Great Wall Reaction.

Good Decisions.

I mean, this google search is basically all you need.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jav...VEVC4AQ_AUIBigB

Lockback fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 14, 2016

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Unironically how the gently caress has Lebron not had a major sports injury yet? Does he just take some insane HGH or something?

Just really loving lucky?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A combination of steroids and hair plugs.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Best gif

This Block is Fine.

(John Wall head turn is the best part)

Great Wall Reaction.

Good Decisions.

I mean, this google search is basically all you need.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jav...VEVC4AQ_AUIBigB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOB04HvFewA
It's amazing how many bad play highlights came against the Kings

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

RCarr posted:

A combination of steroids and hair plugs.
How far are we from some earth-shattering NBA PED scandal breaking out? Individual stats this season appear to be... enhanced, so to speak.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

E2M2 posted:

Unironically how the gently caress has Lebron not had a major sports injury yet? Does he just take some insane HGH or something?

Tells his body "not today."

Serious answer: Luck, and lots of money for health experts to craft the perfectly regimented lifestyle for him. Lax PED testing in the NBA probably doesn't hurt either.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My favorite part of the JaVale .gifs is John Wall slowly dying

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
John Wall doing a triple take as JaVale inexplicably books it the other way and then exasperatingly trying to point him back to the right spot is just the greatest gif

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
That first .gif is still the best thing in the world. Look how hard he's running the floor.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Jack's Flow posted:

That first .gif is still the best thing in the world. Look how hard he's running the floor.

Like, his heart is in the right place. He is going hard to get back on D. He's just a dummy 🦁

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Trading season starts tomorrow and Boogie is sitting out tonight's game for "rest".

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Coaaab posted:

How far are we from some earth-shattering NBA PED scandal breaking out? Individual stats this season appear to be... enhanced, so to speak.

Lol if you don't realize that NBA players have been doping for decades. Michael Fuckin Jordan

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Coaaab posted:

It'd December, by the end of the year a lot of guys will come down to earth. Injuries that don't want to go away, guys deciding they don't care anymore, fatigue all cause regressions back to the mean.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
"If things don't go so well and it hurts everywhere, it could be that 2017 will be the end," the forward told German magazine Sport Bild.
"Actually, my plan is to complete the 20 years and play for Dallas until 2018.
"But just because I have signed a two-year contract doesn't automatically mean that I will play for two years. It could happen next year."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nowitz...20retirement%20'could%20happen'%20in%202017

Let's hope Dirk gets a lot of rest this season. If he makes it to 20 seasons, I hope the last one is with the Mavs.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 14, 2016

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Dirk isn't leaving Dallas barring some kind of catastrophe. He'll either retire or play out the contract. Even if the Mavs want to tank, they can do it by managing Dirk's minutes and resting him (and, honestly, he's probably not good enough anymore to significantly affect the outcome of a season anymore)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

roundmidnight posted:

Dirk isn't leaving Dallas barring some kind of catastrophe. He'll either retire or play out the contract. Even if the Mavs want to tank, they can do it by managing Dirk's minutes and resting him.

To get to twenty years, he needs to sign one more deal. I'd say he is more likely to retire a Mav. However, if they bottom out even harder next year and don't get a top 5 pick this year(or good player in a trade for that pick) I could see him at least considering playing for a contender.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank god the mavs won a ring so he doesn't feel the pressure to chase.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Call it a hunch, I dont think too many contending teams have too many minutes available for old, bad Dirk.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
How the hell do you let Isaiah Thomas stop you from grabbing a pass?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

That's a good point. I guess I was thinking of players who are overtly aggressive and have some attitude. Kind of the "enforcer" archetype.

The Morris twins sort of fit the bill too but they were more likely to get into it with a ref or coach than other players.

Oh good point about the Morris Twins.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Trading season starts tomorrow and Boogie is sitting out tonight's game for "rest".

I'm not suggesting this is likely or anything, but this would be a funny time to trade him to the Lakers since the fan base absolutely hates him at the moment, the amount of back pedaling from Monday's game would be very funny to watch.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Isn't the CBA Opt-Out tomorrow? Is that happening or nah?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Call it a hunch, I dont think too many contending teams have too many minutes available for old, bad Dirk.

Calling old Dirk bad based off this season is a bit premature. He has only played 5 games and he was playing injured in most of those. To think that a contending team wouldn't try getting old Dirk if he was an option is laughable, especially considering the Warriors give minutes to JaVale and David West.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jack's Flow posted:

Are you excited to pay $6000+ for the Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment experience:

YOGI FERRELL!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/sports/basketball/brooklyn-nets-barclays-center-vip-experience.html

We are seated right on the floor, next to the table reserved for the visiting Boston broadcast media and within sweating distance of the players. Our spot appears to be even better than the Calvin Klein V.I.P. section. The Celtics, whose shorts are winsomely decorated with a shamrock near the waistband, help themselves often to the gum, breath mints, sore-throat lozenges and chalk at the broadcasters’ table.

This sounds dumb. But from this intimate spot, I am struck by how gorgeously the athletes play, how smoothly they glide across the court, how effortless they make it all seem. It’s particularly fun to get up close to Isaiah Thomas, the freakishly talented Celtics point guard, at 5-foot-9 more than a foot shorter than some of the other guys. He is everywhere at once and is always smiling as if in some private amusement.
:)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Calling old Dirk bad based off this season is a bit premature. He has only played 5 games and he was playing injured in most of those. To think that a contending team wouldn't try getting old Dirk if he was an option is laughable, especially considering the Warriors give minutes to JaVale and David West.

You mean Javale McGee? The guy with a PER of 20 and WS/48 of .138. David West has also been playing way better recently.

Dirk doesn't rebound, play defense, move the ball well. He's going to be a 39 year old with one talent (shooting) and there is no evidence to suggest he can even do that anymore. I stand by my statement that few contending teams are going to give that the time of day.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Paul Zuvella posted:

You mean Javale McGee? The guy with a PER of 20 and WS/48 of .138. David West has also been playing way better recently.

Dirk doesn't rebound, play defense, move the ball well. He's going to be a 39 year old with one talent (shooting) and there is no evidence to suggest he can even do that anymore. I stand by my statement that few contending teams are going to give that the time of day.

An measure of Dirk's value would be how terrible the Mavs were without him, no?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Dejan Bimble posted:

We are seated right on the floor, next to the table reserved for the visiting Boston broadcast media and within sweating distance of the players. Our spot appears to be even better than the Calvin Klein V.I.P. section. The Celtics, whose shorts are winsomely decorated with a shamrock near the waistband, help themselves often to the gum, breath mints, sore-throat lozenges and chalk at the broadcasters’ table.

This sounds dumb. But from this intimate spot, I am struck by how gorgeously the athletes play, how smoothly they glide across the court, how effortless they make it all seem. It’s particularly fun to get up close to Isaiah Thomas, the freakishly talented Celtics point guard, at 5-foot-9 more than a foot shorter than some of the other guys. He is everywhere at once and is always smiling as if in some private amusement.
:)

Yeah, it's not the best article really.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

He has barely played this year and was still a very good offensive player as recently as last season.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

E2M2 posted:

A Generational Talent Body.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Paul Zuvella posted:

raptors have a hole at PF and we like stretch fours.

But yeah there's no way he leaves the Mav's, that man is old school loyal.

e: wait he's being paid 25 million? OK, no thanks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Redgrendel2001 posted:

just leave him in Houston tia. We have all kinds of malcontents, rookies, and late first round picks that are usually part of Godfather Offers.

• Locked thread