Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Witcher 3 combat is like the Batman games in that you control one character and push buttons to make him do things.

Which is is to say that they are really nothing alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the best witcher build is the star wars kid spin in the light attack tree. also the toxicity ones so you down a bunch of buffs and get even more buffs instead of dying

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Witcher 3 combat works just fine. It's actually too easy and you have too much invuln and your tools are way, way too good for what the enemies can deal with.

This.

It isn't hard at all. You're basically unstoppable. Which makes sense story-wise but isn't very fun after the nine hundredth battle.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MMF Freeway posted:

Its like arkham asylum combat, but after so many games that use it everyone hates that style now.

Was there any game other than Shadows of Mordor that did Arkham's combat well?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

wizard on a water slide posted:

X4 is definitely the best iteration of playing as Zero in the X games, if you're into that

If I want to play as Zero I can just play the Zero games, which are much better than X4.

Lobok posted:

e: this is actually a better showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVmsucYKlvo

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 14, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sakurazuka posted:

It's nothing like Arkham combat, Batman is always precise, Geralt just pirouettes all over the place.

This was not my experience, but I used the lock-on targeting a lot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

I don't really get the critiques of The Witcher 3's combat. I absolutely get it with 1 and 2, but 3 seems fine to me. It's not the deepest combat system, but I always thought it felt good and didn't get in the way (especially once I remembered how punishing it is to get hit in the back). It could've done with some more depth and better encounter design, especially towards the end, but I don't think I'd call it truly bad, just "okay."

Geralt is soooo clunkyyy and sloooow, you have pretty much no choice but to eat damage while he twirls around and swings in almost literal slow motion. You have almost no maneuverability and the dumb trundle he does when you have your sword out makes you a pretty much stationary target for ranged attacks. The roll and dodge moves leave you open so they're only really useful for physically dodging away from super telegraphed attacks, which you can't do if you're in the middle of an attack already.

edit: But that problem isn't unique to the combat, Geralt steers around like a boat on foot and god help you if you want to make the horse about-face while you're moving.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

oddium posted:

the best witcher build is the star wars kid spin in the light attack tree. also the toxicity ones so you down a bunch of buffs and get even more buffs instead of dying
The actual best build before the expansions was putting everything into bombs - you could carry like 10 bombs and each would break into 5 bombs so I would be carpetbombing every room until the dust settled on motionless piles of corpses. Bandit camps would have people explode into confetti this way. Then they made the expansion enemies too tough for that and it stopped working but it absolutely owned during my initial playthrough.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i feel like a lot of people didn't make and constantly use the super good potions, or know that meditating for an hour (like three buttons presses) will use up one of your 50 alcohols to replenish all of your potions

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lobok posted:

Sleeping Dogs tried but didn't quite pull it off. Still fun enough though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, when you go to put your sword away, Geralt just pulls it back out. You can't run away from combat because of his slow trudging thing he does, and if you try to sprint, he automatically turns back to face the enemy and stops sprinting. In order to successfully escape from combat you have to dive roll away from the enemy until you're out of range, but not TOO far out of range because then he decides to put the sword away and you can't roll anymore. The controls just suck rear end.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

What are you even talking about. Have you ever actually played Witcher 3?

The dodge and roll are insanely loving invincible, like to the point it's hard to actually get hit. You can animation cancel literally everything (including the invincible dodge itself) so you are never in danger of getting hit even while attacking. You move slowly normally while in combat but you can still sprint just like normal. Ranged attacks are also a complete and total joke, goes doubly if you unlock the reflect ability since then ranged attacks are just a way to make it quicker to end group fights.

And like, light swings are extremely fast. Heavy attacks are slow as is Rend but that's kind of the whole point.

CJacobs posted:

Also, when you go to put your sword away, Geralt just pulls it back out. You can't run away from combat because of his slow trudging thing he does, and if you try to sprint, he automatically turns back to face the enemy and stops sprinting. The controls just suck rear end.

Okay yeah you've literally never played the game before, cool.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I didn't play till after blood and wine came out, and all the associated patches, but some stuff like dodge canceling out of attack animations are definitely a thing you can do in the current version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oddly, one of the best Arkham Asylum combat knockoffs I ever played was Captain America; Soldier Soldier.

It wasn't perfect but it was surprisingly solid and playable for what was otherwise a cheap knockoff.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Palpek posted:

The actual best build before the expansions was putting everything into bombs - you could carry like 10 bombs and each would break into 5 bombs so I would be carpetbombing every room until the dust settled on motionless piles of corpses. Bandit camps would have people explode into confetti this way. Then they made the expansion enemies too tough for that and it stopped working but it absolutely owned during my initial playthrough.

not as pretty as quen + death by 1000 cuts twirl

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What are you even talking about. Have you ever actually played Witcher 3?

The dodge and roll are insanely loving invincible, like to the point it's hard to actually get hit. You can animation cancel literally everything (including the invincible dodge itself) so you are never in danger of getting hit even while attacking. You move slowly normally while in combat but you can still sprint just like normal. Ranged attacks are also a complete and total joke, goes doubly if you unlock the reflect ability since then ranged attacks are just a way to make it quicker to end group fights.

And like, light swings are extremely fast. Heavy attacks are slow as is Rend but that's kind of the whole point.

Okay yeah you've literally never played the game before, cool.

Okay fine you got me, the game is very clunky and also too easy. :shrug:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

oddium posted:

i feel like a lot of people didn't make and constantly use the super good potions, or know that meditating for an hour (like three buttons presses) will use up one of your 50 alcohols to replenish all of your potions

I always found this kind of amusing. Like, you don't need any other ingredients. Geralt just refills the bottle with liquor and gives it a good shake.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Oddly, one of the best Arkham Asylum combat knockoffs I ever played was Captain America; Soldier Soldier.

It wasn't perfect but it was surprisingly solid and playable for what was otherwise a cheap knockoff.

I'm suddenly reminded of that Wolverine game that came out a few years ago and turned out to be a fairly decent God of War knockoff.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
when i played w3 i just set everything on fire with whatever the fire sign was (igni?)

it was fun

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

boy are my arms tired posted:

when i played w3 i just set everything on fire with whatever the fire sign was (igni?)

it was fun

Username/post combo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

While Witcher 3 combat has a lot of problems it really sounds like you weren't good at it CJacobs or maybe it didn't click with you I don't know. Dodge is very manouverable and when you write "you have pretty much no choice but to eat damage while he twirls around" it's like you're missing the basics or gave up at the beginning of the game before learning how the system even works or something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ah, new posts, so you haven't actually played it? lol

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The 'pulling the swords out' thing is legit stupid as poo poo actually, but there's an option in the menu to turn that off. It's really dumb that it's on by default, it was a constant source of frustration until I flipped it off.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I once read you don't need to play a game to be right about it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

oddium posted:

not as pretty as quen + death by 1000 cuts twirl
Yeah, bombs method was the opposite of pretty.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Help Im Alive posted:

I once read you don't need to play a game to be right about it

That sounds stupid.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I don't want to rehash Pacific Rim talk, but I think the one Del Toro movie that doesn't get enough love is Hellboy 2. It was visually stunning, pulled off a really neat secret world vibe, and had a decent story. It ranks over Pan's Labyrinth and PacRim for me personally.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Okay fine you got me, the game is very clunky and also too easy. :shrug:

It is slightly clunky but it is definitely too easy, no argument there. It isn't often that I play games on their maximum difficulty, but I do for TW3, because there just isn't much challenge in the combat there. I guess I could intentionally handicap myself by not using the equipment and cool skills I unlock, but then I don't get to use cool equipment and skills, and that is also dumb.

I really, really think you're overstating the clunkiness, though. Geralt doesn't handle like most action game characters but I got used to his handling pretty easily (and they've since patched in a more "standard" control mode that gets rid of some of that momentum/wide turning radius that some people disliked). For combat, I think it's pretty well-designed to make you fight differently when you're outnumbered. You can't just rush into the middle of the group--you're supposed to dance around the outside of the group and try to avoid getting surrounded so you don't get hit in the back. And you can do things like put an enemy between you and a ranged attacker and the arrows will hit the enemy instead, or use bombs to stun people to buy yourself some time to escape the melee. It works fine, and I think most of the "the combat is so clunky!" complaints had to be from people who came in expecting Geralt to control like you're playing Devil May Cry 3 or something and weren't willing to adapt.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I don't really get the critiques of The Witcher 3's combat. I absolutely get it with 1 and 2, but 3 seems fine to me. It's not the deepest combat system, but I always thought it felt good and didn't get in the way (especially once I remembered how punishing it is to get hit in the back). It could've done with some more depth and better encounter design, especially towards the end, but I don't think I'd call it truly bad, just "okay."

I've never actually played Witcher 3

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

Ah, new posts, so you haven't actually played it? lol

Of course I have, I played the whole game to completion. Why would I complain about a game being too easy and/or clunky if I hadn't played it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

bloodychill posted:

I don't want to rehash Pacific Rim talk, but I think the one Del Toro movie that doesn't get enough love is Hellboy 2. It was visually stunning, pulled off a really neat secret world vibe, and had a decent story. It ranks over Pan's Labyrinth and PacRim for me personally.
I loved Pan's Labyrinth the most, I should rewatch it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lobok posted:

Sleeping Dogs did pretty good with it. The Assassin's Creed Ezio games also play pretty similarly to Batman, even though there were only a few months between Batman and AC2 it seems like they picked up a few of Batman's good habits in terms of how the controls and fighting worked in general. Hand of Fate is a pretty decent Bat-em-up too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Sleeping Dogs did pretty good with it. The Assassin's Creed Ezio games also play pretty similarly to Batman, even though there were only a few months between Batman and AC2 it seems like they picked up a few of Batman's good habits in terms of how the controls and fighting worked in general. Hand of Fate is a pretty decent Bat-em-up too.

Yeah, Sleeping Dogs did that style of combat well. The game gets notably less interesting when guns get more common towards the end. The guns are fun, don't get me wrong--the "dive out of cover to get slow motion" mechanic owns and feels very John Woo--but the endgame relies so heavily on guns that it start to feel like any other third-person cover shooter instead of the rad beat-'em-up it was before then.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dewgy posted:

I feel like there was a sweet spot of only one Ezio game that felt like well-done Arkham combat whereas the others were too simplistic and/or stiff and weighted down with elaborate kill animations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

I feel like there was a sweet spot of only one Ezio game that felt like well-done Arkham combat whereas the others were too simplistic and/or stiff and weighted down with elaborate kill animations.

I'd say that was Brotherhood, where they polished it enough to be strong but not over-polished it. It was also the only one that had actual combat challenge rooms.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Witcher 3 combat is horrendously bad, for me exacerbated by coming off Bloodborne at the time, hth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The whole medicine healing mechanic really killed the combat in the Ezio games for me. Not only did you end up with a huge health meter, but you could instantly restore it by taking medicine, so combat had no tension at all. It was still fun to mess around with, though.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lobok posted:

That was likely Brotherhood, which was also probably the best one in general anyway. AC2 improved a lot on AC1 but was still really simple, and AC: Revelations made enemies a lot beefier (health bars! :gonk: ) and went a little far overboard on the kills. I mean, there's one where he sticks a sword through a guy's head, shoves it so it turns his head around backwards, spins the guy, then pulls the sword out. It's just silly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dewgy posted:

That was likely Brotherhood, which was also probably the best one in general anyway. AC2 improved a lot on AC1 but was still really simple, and AC: Revelations made enemies a lot beefier (health bars! :gonk: ) and went a little far overboard on the kills. I mean, there's one where he sticks a sword through a guy's head, shoves it so it turns his head around backwards, spins the guy, then pulls the sword out. It's just silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_161qJ5XHM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Comically AC: Unity had many different fighting styles put into it depending on what weapon you used with varying ranges, animations etc. but...combat was still just pressing one button. It's sometimes comically weird in Assassin's Creed how they put an enormous amount of work into some system vs how much influence they actually have on the gameplay - see also bomb crafting in Revelations.

• Locked thread