Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Winnie the poo poo posted:

until you need dress pants

True, but then you have the bragging point of "My legs are so awesome I had to have my pants tailored to fit :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Welp, lower back still a bit painful today, no squats for me. I'll stick to lower weight leg press and machines and maybe some hanging leg raises.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i heard one legged leg press is a good way to help take strain off your back and one limb exercises are all the rage. but seriously, i heard that i dunno how true it is. also high bar squats felt a little more natural today. knee didn't really act up. stuff going good i guess.cable crunches still hurt my elbows just to hold on to. out of curiousity do you need a dynamic ab exercise or are planks/deads/squats enough?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i heard one legged leg press is a good way to help take strain off your back and one limb exercises are all the rage. but seriously, i heard that i dunno how true it is. also high bar squats felt a little more natural today. knee didn't really act up. stuff going good i guess.cable crunches still hurt my elbows just to hold on to. out of curiousity do you need a dynamic ab exercise or are planks/deads/squats enough?

Single leg press was exactly what I was doing. :)

You could try ab-wheel roll outs. They work the abs incredibly well. Also hanging leg raises, although you'll need to build up to those.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pesmerga posted:

Welp, lower back still a bit painful today, no squats for me. I'll stick to lower weight leg press and machines and maybe some hanging leg raises.

Foam roll your glutes

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Single leg press was exactly what I was doing. :)

You could try ab-wheel roll outs. They work the abs incredibly well. Also hanging leg raises, although you'll need to build up to those.

Yeah, I had a hard time with leg raises last year, but as I've mentioned before, my abs seem to be much stronger this time around which is why holding the weight on the cable crunches is hurting my elbows. Maybe I'll give them another go, I could bend me knees a bit to make them easier if need be. Also my lovely gym actually has an ab wheel so I'll try that too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Yeah, I had a hard time with leg raises last year, but as I've mentioned before, my abs seem to be much stronger this time around which is why holding the weight on the cable crunches is hurting my elbows. Maybe I'll give them another go, I could bend me knees a bit to make them easier if need be. Also my lovely gym actually has an ab wheel so I'll try that too.

Instead of an ab wheel use a barbell.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Not really enough room for that. There's barely room for deadlifts. I'll just try the ab wheel and leg raises and go with whatever feels best.

I'm really digging this program. Still too early to know for sure about gains, but it's much more fun and I enjoy myself a lot more. Since there's 4 different days and more exercises I got a notebook and log everything down now, which gives me a better sense of "I came in here today and did something"

Also took measurements for comparison sake. Is average shoulder width for males really about 18 inches? Mine are a little over 19, and generally everything genetic about me sucks except height and that's barely even considered tall. My wrists are like barely 7 inches. It's not anything I consider braggable, but if it's a small advantage to have when building muscle, I'll gladly take it.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Considering DDD's history of loving himself up I'm going to recommend not doing the ab wheel, ever. I've known a few guys at my gym who were in pretty good shape and strong that have hosed up their lower backs using one. Just do planks.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah I didn't mention it because it was a one time offhand thing, but I did try the ab wheel one time when I saw it and while I didn't get injured it did feel weird on my back. I was more interested in the hanging leg raises anyway, I'll try them.

And also, I know I bitch about injuries a lot, but I've rarely hosed myself up in the gym. It's all my job. I think my wrist is really the only thing that came directly from the gym.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

My wrists are like barely 7 inches.

Sorry to tell you this but you'll never be able to go pro.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Don't feel bad. I pulled a rib muscle at work back in March and I can still feel it sometimes :(

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

sassassin posted:

Foam roll your glutes

I'll try that, thanks.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Also took measurements for comparison sake. Is average shoulder width for males really about 18 inches? Mine are a little over 19, and generally everything genetic about me sucks except height and that's barely even considered tall. My wrists are like barely 7 inches. It's not anything I consider braggable, but if it's a small advantage to have when building muscle, I'll gladly take it.

sassassin posted:

Sorry to tell you this but you'll never be able to go pro.

My wrists are only 6 and a bit inches. I've got a tiny frame :smith:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
If you're going to try and pound your butt, get a lacrosse ball. It would take a seriously badass foam roller to really get up in there. I don't feel poo poo with mine but it's just a cheap smooth roller. The lacrosse ball cost like 2 dollars. Also be careful, there's one spot to the side of my glutes where it triggers a nerve, so I always stop if I get any weird nerve feelings.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

If you're going to try and pound your butt, get a lacrosse ball. It would take a seriously badass foam roller to really get up in there.

You've got the wrong idea about foam rolling, but whatever gets you off.

Foam rolling isn't a competition to make things hurt the most. Use a basic firm-ish roll and use it regularly.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I think DDD just has a super low threshold for pain and what everyone else considers manageable and/or growth associated pain DDD considers debilitating.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
That's a good explanation.

Constipated posted:

Considering DDD's history of loving himself up I'm going to recommend not doing the ab wheel, ever. I've known a few guys at my gym who were in pretty good shape and strong that have hosed up their lower backs using one. Just do planks.

I've never heard of someone getting injured with an ab wheel. Humans are amazing.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

You guys actually take time off for injuries?

I repeatedly work out until the pain stops or I get used to it. The one true way to handle soreness and injury

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Pesmerga posted:

My wrists are only 6 and a bit inches. I've got a tiny frame :smith:

Small wrist bro
:smith::hf::smith:

Back day today.
Increasing creatine intake a bit because it's taking a bit longer than I'd like to recover after leg days.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Dum Cumpster posted:

I've never heard of someone getting injured with an ab wheel. Humans are amazing.

Doing them standing up (like straight legs) is apparently the cause of many back injuries. According to one story, that's how Bruce Lee hosed up his back (the other claims doing good mornings).

My shoulders have been bothering me lately and I found doing this instantly eases the pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsmeXwHu6W0

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Metanaut posted:

Doing them standing up (like straight legs) is apparently the cause of many back injuries. According to one story, that's how Bruce Lee hosed up his back (the other claims doing good mornings).

That makes sense. Don't know many people that can do them standing. Better to live pain free on your knees than to die of a broken back on your feet I suppose.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah what the heck, you dont even put a lot of strain on your back if you do it properly. Are they twisting the poo poo out of their spine or something

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

if you do it properly

But do any of us ever do anything properly?

Be honest with yourself.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Dum Cumpster posted:

That makes sense. Don't know many people that can do them standing. Better to live pain free on your knees than to die of a broken back on your feet I suppose.

You have it backwards. It's better to live on your feet than die on your knees.

I can do them standing. Impresses guys more than girls TBH

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Tiny Lowtax posted:

You have it backwards.

Nah, I can do them standing but I'd rather be an old bitch who doesn't continually cripple himself.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tiny Lowtax posted:

You have it backwards. It's better to live on your feet than die on your knees.

I can do them standing. Impresses guys more than girls TBH

I tried that once and faceplanted.

Nice metal splinter off the old 60kg dumbbell tonight, all because I was trying to impress the 16 year old girl with the perfect snatch.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Dum Cumpster posted:

Nah, I can do them standing but I'd rather be an old bitch who doesn't continually cripple himself.

Don't you do the swole bro thing with like a cyborg heart or something? You're already ahead of DDD. He'd die in pre-op signing consents.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

sassassin posted:

I tried that once and faceplanted.

Nice metal splinter off the old 60kg dumbbell tonight, all because I was trying to impress the 16 year old girl with the perfect snatch.

Can't tell if talking about Olympic lift or... not...

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

a mysterious cloak posted:

Don't you do the swole bro thing with like a cyborg heart or something? You're already ahead of DDD. He'd die in pre-op signing consents.

LOL. Yes my heart is augmented but I was more talking about how I'm stronger than I am smart or durable and usually tear my dumb body apart chasing stupid strength goals.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Being strong is important. Once you die, the strength you've accumulated is all you're gonna get to take with you to the afterlife

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Gotta accumulate all that biomass to give it back to the ground, man.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Can't tell if talking about Olympic lift or... not...

The guy she was with spent the whole session jerking.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Dum Cumpster posted:

LOL. Yes my heart is augmented but I was more talking about how I'm stronger than I am smart or durable and usually tear my dumb body apart chasing stupid strength goals.

Gotcha. Stay strong, cyborg-bro :respek:

sassassin posted:

16 year old girl with the perfect snatch.

:dogbutton:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Did 5x200m sprints on the erg at a 1:27.8 split. I'm pretty sure I died and I'm now posting from the afterlife.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

bamhand posted:

Did 5x200m sprints on the erg at a 1:27.8 split. I'm pretty sure I died and I'm now posting from the afterlife.

I just started rowing and don't know what anything means but I know it's hard so RIP

a mysterious cloak posted:

Gotcha. Stay strong, cyborg-bro :respek:

:dogbutton:

:cheers:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bamhand posted:

I swam a 32 minute mile last week and I am pretty sure I drowned and was legally dead for about 17 minutes in the middle of it.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

buddhanc posted:

You guys actually take time off for injuries?

I repeatedly work out until the pain stops or I get used to it. The one true way to handle soreness and injury

same so i just benched with wraps today and everything was fine

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

GORDON posted:

I swam a 32 minute mile last week and I am pretty sure I drowned and was legally dead for about 17 minutes in the middle of it.

Yeah I went to lay down afterward and suddenly it was half an hour later.

Dum Cumpster posted:

I just started rowing and don't know what anything means but I know it's hard so RIP

Erging is the worst. Split is your time to row 500m at your current speed. It's the main measure of speed that is displayed on the monitor.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 15, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

bamhand posted:

Godspeed, rowgoon. That's pretty loving fast.

I saw a dude with skinnier wrists than mine at the gym. I have bigger forearms :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Godspeed, rowgoon. That's pretty loving fast.

I saw a dude with skinnier wrists than mine at the gym. I have bigger forearms :getin:
My wrists are 7" but my ankles are 10.8" :(