Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly:

A major thing I think Super does better than Z is Goku. This isn't entirely fair to Z as Z is coming off Dragonball but Goku is terribly underutilized in Z. Because of the nature of Z as constant nonstop explosive universe-ending disasters Goku is given very little time to be a character. He's either sidelined, dead, sidelined AND dead, or they timeskip over his character moments. This is partially a flaw of the manga too but the time difference really factors in here. Even in DBKai Goku is offscreen a whole loving lot.

Super puts Goku front and center and makes it about his character as often as they can. He gets to joke, hang out with people, and have scenes *not* revolving around the world being five seconds away from exploding at any given moment. This really helps show what makes him something besides The Strong Protagonist and helps develop him and allow his personality to shine. He's a lot funnier in Super than he ever was in Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

z was never about humor tbh. there were funny moments, sure, but mostly it was pretty serious

which is why people that have only seen z and never the stuff that predates it get confused and angry when super goes all in on the jokes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

z was never about humor tbh. there were funny moments, sure, but mostly it was pretty serious

which is why people that have only seen z and never the stuff that predates it get confused and angry when super goes all in on the jokes

Yeah, Z was never really about humor which I actually think hurts Goku a bit because Goku's a silly character and that's kind of an important element of him. It sort of shines a little but in a lot of ways I think Gohan is a more 'logical' protagonist of the tone DBZ has. He's more serious and less gag-comicy (at last until post-Cell) and as a result it kinda reflects him closer. That isn't to say Goku is never serious (he is!) but "poo poo gets so real Goku isn't being funny anymore" is kind of a woah poo poo moment until it compromises almost the entirety of his screentime DBZ.

That said I do think it's possible to do both the comedy and serious elements of the character. The Zamasu arc I think actually did pretty well by Goku, allowing him to be both kinda goofy and then have his moment of flipping the gently caress out when he discovers Goku Black's backstory.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Z is about two things: throwing a bunch of small ki blasts at a creature and being surprised when that doesn't work.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

projecthalaxy posted:

Z is about two things: throwing a bunch of small ki blasts at a creature and being surprised when that doesn't work.

That's GT, Vegeta and most of the dumber movies.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, holy poo poo, the worst parts of Super so far are movie retreads (a good movie and a meh movie) and the clone saga (which had some funnies and Vegeta having a conflict between wanting to stay alive and see "himself" lose to Goku). The worst parts of GT are stupid and outright boring.

Also I'd rate Super above late Z right now easy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So the actual name of nre the arc is likely "universe survival" since dragon ball also uses 'uchuu' to refer to the 12 universes as well as space in general

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Super is at it's best when Bulma is on screen.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
IMO Super is better than Dragonball Z. Not Z Kai, original Z.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Kieran, Kaiser's husband I think. He's mentioned that he's a "GT apologist".

Kirran isn't Kaiser's husband, I don't think Kaiser's husband works with TFS.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lol if you think that goku is or is supposed to be the main character between the end of the saiyan saga and the endgame in the buu saga.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I mean he's the main character in Namek

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Plus I'd argue that z utilises goku quite well by having him sidelined or dead most of the time given the stories it told. It allows gohan to develop naturally, for a start.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Aurora posted:

I mean he's the main character in Namek

For the end of it, sure. For most of it he's a plot device.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Namtab posted:

Plus I'd argue that z utilises goku quite well by having him sidelined or dead most of the time given the stories it told. It allows gohan to develop naturally, for a start.

You'll have to define "develop naturally."

If you literally mean "develop naturally," he grew up without his birth father present for most of his life, and his surrogate father figure threw him at a mountain when he was four.

If you mean "develop as a character," he spent a chunk of his young adult life pretending to be a masked, caped superhero.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Maple Leaf posted:

If you literally mean "develop naturally," he grew up without his birth father present for most of his life, and his surrogate father figure threw him at a mountain when he was four.

If you mean "develop as a character," he spent a chunk of his young adult life pretending to be a masked, caped superhero.

gohan rules

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
Should have been Freeza:
http://kotaku.com/japan-has-vegeta-refrigerators-1790085345

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Maple Leaf posted:

As a character in Japanese comics

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I feel Gohan, as a brokebrained teen with godlike powers, electing to become a superhero is very realistic and good.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Maple Leaf posted:

I think what he means by "Gohan" is Vegeta, the actual second protagonist as canonized by Super.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

I feel Gohan, as a brokebrained teen with godlike powers, electing to become a superhero is very realistic and good.

goku supplied the superpowers, chichi supplied the connection to the outside world where everyone agrees masked superheroes are insanely cool

there was really no other direction to take gohan post-cell

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wish gohan had kept his great saiyaman costume through the whole buu saga and got to defeat buu while being broadcasted live on worldwide television while wearing it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wish gohan had kept his great saiyaman costume through the whole buu saga and got to defeat buu while being broadcasted live on worldwide television while wearing it

That is really what should have happened.

Gohan touches does, Buu goes "who are you?" and Gohan's response?

"Hen.... SHIN!"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I have a really strange relationship with Z in regards to Goku, since my watching of it was super convoluted. I'm pretty sure I saw the beginning of Namek until sometime before Goku fought Frieza, then years later when it was on Tonami I saw Trunks kill Frieza, and watched until the end of Cell, then we had to wait years for Buu. So really, Goku pretty much never the person to save the day since Cell stuff reran so often.

But yeah, Goku being front and center for Super is both a blessing and a curse. He actually gets to be characterized, but it also means he's the one to ultimately solve things. Or not, since he hasn't won a single fight that wasn't the Pooh guy from Universe 6, but the show is entirely centered around Goku getting his chance to fight.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wish gohan got to defeat buu

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There's an alternate ending to Z where instead of going to Namek they just have Shin airdrop Gohan onto the Kai Planet

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Gohan is very good and is the top fighter even and possibly especially when he isn't.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I hope 17 turns into Super 17 in the next arc.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Spiritus Nox posted:

And, I mean...have we ever had a deep dragon ball villain, if you don't count reformees? Frieza is "I'm awesome and the strongest and want to rule the world forever." Cell is "I'm awesome and the strongest and want to eat people and destroy the world forever." Buu is "BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!" And they're all good villains!

Yeah this is exactly my problem with TFS reviews.

You know Cell and Buu are gonna be ranked up pretty high, and Frieza probably snatch number 1 or 2 because of how ruthless they were/how amazing their fights were/their impact on the series, despite all their personalities pretty much being condensed to "i'm awesome and the strongest and want to rule/destroy the world"

Zamasu is perphaps the first villain to kinda have a motive and personality, even if it was one dimensional.

He killed Goku, and then Chichi and Little Goku, jumped universes and destroyed almost all Ningens and then took his time to savour every second of his Earth killing spree. And killed the Bulma that can create timelines (so in a way he killed the strongest character of the franchise) so he is ruthless too

His fights are perphaps the most divisive part of him. Personally I liked Zamasu's fights more than Goku Black's, mainly because he was spamming his immortality to get cheap shots in. Granted Black Goku's "lol I just don't know what the poo poo anymore" fight was also fun. When they merged the interest of the fights shifted more towards Goku, Vegeta and Trunks than to what Merged Zamasu could do.

And finally, his impact on the series so far, depending how you look at it he is either the first villain to win, or the first villain to cause the heroes to lose.

So yeah, TFS ranking is more of the style of "If we don't like it, objectivity goes out the window".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

piccolo is the first villain to win

he killed goku and raditz, plus his dad killed krillin. tao pai pai is the first one to cause the heroes to lose because he kicked goku's rear end

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Blockhouse posted:

So the actual name of nre the arc is likely "universe survival" since dragon ball also uses 'uchuu' to refer to the 12 universes as well as space in general

so it's going to be Hunger Games but with the Dragonball multiverse, isn't it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

lezard_valeth posted:

So yeah, TFS ranking is more of the style of "If we don't like it, objectivity goes out the window".

I mean, it's ultimately an opinion piece but if this was totally true Broly wouldn't even be on the list and instead stuffed in a trashcan with a picture of poo taped to the side.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Manatee Cannon posted:

piccolo is the first villain to win

he killed goku and raditz, plus his dad killed krillin. tao pai pai is the first one to cause the heroes to lose because he kicked goku's rear end

piccolo is barely a villain

the worst thing he does is destroy the world martial arts tournament arena (with zero casualties)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he was trying his best ok, don't belittle my friend piccolo's accomplishments

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gonna be honest, I don't really care much about Gohan as being the "main" protagonist of anything. I like that Super has Goku as a protagonist beyond just a plot-device hero because he's a better character.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

clearer shot of the promo image

RANGER

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Some Space Park is gonna get the poo poo ranged out of it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think Broly is pretty cool, to be honest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

clearer shot of the promo image

RANGER

Android 17's Park Ranger Duties becoming onscreen canon is the only thing I wanted.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Rhonne posted:

I hope 17 turns into Super 17 in the next arc.

He was a pretty even match for Piccolo, so hopefully we get a rad fight where 17 has to charge the Special Beam Cannon while dodging and multi-forming all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Android 17's Park Ranger Duties becoming onscreen canon is the only thing I wanted.

he's only joining this group cuz the new villains poached some buffalo or something.

• Locked thread