Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Leperflesh posted:

If you can't sell a red VW Beetle in the San Francisco Bay Area, you're not trying.

This is a new beetle, not an air cooled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nm posted:

This is a new beetle, not an air cooled.

Yeah, I know.

SF is jam packed full of people who buy cars because they look cute, it's not just the aircooled VW scene. Probably the dealbreaker isn't even the no-smog (which makes it technically illegal to even sell as an operable vehicle, lol)... it's the sideswipe damage.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
what does danno want for the VW? and can you deliver it to TN?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Over 500 under 1000 and I do not know. I realistically doubt it this winter

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Its 18° and I just domed myself on the corner of the underside of the drivers side step

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Just take off your hat, no icepack required.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The cute little snow birds I've started throwing out seed for have taken to following me from the bushes by the house to the bushes by the truck while I walk. They chirp and take adorable little snow baths. I call this the happy trail of tears now

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I like the cinder block windbreak for the BBQ danno. Being a fellow flatlander, I know your pain.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Im out of time on the Fastback. Ive been getting pictures of Rosie sleeping on my laundry back home :(

Dad says they couldnt sell the red Bug and i can still have it if I get to California...

Dude, why are you worrying about the fastback now. It doesn't look like its going anywhere!

Start thinking about it next spring after you've ridden the thunderhorse and been back home to Rosie

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I Bought A Truck: The Happy Trail Of Tears

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
A Long Time Coming: A Happy Ending for 14": Or how I learned to stop worrying and enjoy the tears.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I know this may be a little early, but is there a planned route along the Fury Road to Florhalla?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

My Man Shran posted:

I know this may be a little early, but is there a planned route along the Fury Road to Florhalla?

South east to Tennessee then south to Orlando

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I call this the happy trail of tears now

ah, the fury choad

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!
the other road of bones

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Keep out of mountains and such and you'll probably be fine.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That takes you right by my section of swampland, assuming I-75 to hwy 50 instead of 27 to avoid the tolls and stay to slightly more populated areas if the war rig needs to be coaxed into staying running.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Having safe GoonStops would probably be a good idea for the trip to FL right?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I thought someone was going to drive a chase car, but that doesn't seem like the case, especially this close to christmas.

Instead, put the Jeep on dollies, strap a blow-up doll in the charred remnants of the driver's seat, and tow it behind the truck to Florida.

E: Work out some way to tow it back home. I think at this point, you have to return with something, 14. Even if it's only to give gremlin the closure he needs by returning the body to him for proper burial.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 15, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was kind of figuring it would be sane to fly back to Seattle from Florida.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

14 BAR RIFF posted:

South east to Tennessee then south to Orlando

So are you going to cut down at Knoxville and go through Chattanooga, or are you going to go I-81 to I-26 and go through Asheville? Or maybe there's another way through TN that I'm not aware of (I live right at the 81-26 interchange and always go 26 to get to FL, but I'm always going to the east coast when I make it down there). That truck may not like the mountains too much so I'm assuming not 26.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So, 14, are you cutting doughnuts across danno's lawn yet?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

empty baggie posted:

So are you going to cut down at Knoxville and go through Chattanooga, or are you going to go I-81 to I-26 and go through Asheville? Or maybe there's another way through TN that I'm not aware of (I live right at the 81-26 interchange and always go 26 to get to FL, but I'm always going to the east coast when I make it down there). That truck may not like the mountains too much so I'm assuming not 26.

Picking up I-24 in Illinois and going through Nashville, then catching I-75 in Chattanooga would be the most direct route.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Oh please come through Asheville i wanna see the war rig.

Also it's a small world on craigslist, I kinda prefer the grille on this one

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Picking up I-24 in Illinois and going through Nashville, then catching I-75 in Chattanooga would be the most direct route.

That's what I assumed, but if it was the 26 route, I could have offered a place to crash for the night on the way. But also the border of TN and NC and around 50 miles past on 26 is nothing but curvy ups and downs that would be pretty drat horrifying while driving that truck.

My only other advice is to be wary of the fog on 75 before Chatty (without looking at a map, this stretch may be avoided by going straight from Nashville to Chattanooga) They have warning lights up, but there have been more than one terrible wreck in that stretch of road, one of which killed 12 people. It's not as big of a deal now that safety measures have been put into place, but depending on the time of day and weather, it's something to be aware of.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/30729258/25th-anniversary-of-i-75-fog-crash

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 15, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

empty baggie posted:

That's what I assumed, but if it was the 26 route, I could have offered a place to crash for the night on the way. But also the border of TN and NC and around 50 miles past on 26 is nothing but curvy ups and downs that would be pretty drat horrifying while driving that truck.

My only other advice is to be wary of the fog on 75 before Chatty (without looking at a map, this stretch may be avoided by going straight from Nashville to Chattanooga) They have warning lights up, but there have been more than one terrible wreck in that stretch of road, one of which killed 12 people. It's not as big of a deal now that safety measures have been put into place, but depending on the time of day and weather, it's something to be aware of.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/30729258/25th-anniversary-of-i-75-fog-crash
That stretch of 75 has never been a problem when I've driven it, although the Bowater plant sure makes things smell bad.

There's a big, long, steep hill to descend on I-24 at Sewanee, Monteagle Mountain, coming down off the Cumberland Plateau into the Tennessee River valley (technically the Sequatchee River valley, but they're connected). That's had its own share of bad wrecks and runaway trucks. Dave needs to keep it slow and easy and use lots of engine braking if he comes that route. I put the clutch in and let my car coast up to 80 or 90 for the fun of it, but that's not a good plan with a big, old truck with questionable brakes.

He's much better off staying west of the Appalachians generally. There's no route devoid of potential problems, but I-24 is probably the safest.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

That stretch of 75 has never been a problem when I've driven it, although the Bowater plant sure makes things smell bad.

There's a big, long, steep hill to descend on I-24 at Sewanee, Monteagle Mountain, coming down off the Cumberland Plateau into the Tennessee River valley (technically the Sequatchee River valley, but they're connected). That's had its own share of bad wrecks and runaway trucks. Dave needs to keep it slow and easy and use lots of engine braking if he comes that route. I put the clutch in and let my car coast up to 80 or 90 for the fun of it, but that's not a good plan with a big, old truck with questionable brakes.

He's much better off staying west of the Appalachians generally. There's no route devoid of potential problems, but I-24 is probably the safest.

No way I'd go down 24 through Monteagle in that thing. He'd probably be better off keeping 65 to Montgomery and taking smaller roads down into the panhandle.

Little slower, but considerably less pants-making GBS threads.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

angryhampster posted:

No way I'd go down 24 through Monteagle in that thing. He'd probably be better off keeping 65 to Montgomery and taking smaller roads down into the panhandle.

Little slower, but considerably less pants-making GBS threads.

I wouldn't take I-65 all the way to Montgomery, I'd get on US280 in Birmingham, and take that all the way down/over back to I-75. That's the quickest route from the Birmingham area down to central Florida.

EDIT: Actually, going down to Montgomery and taking US82 across to I-75 would take him by Radium Springs, where he could take a dip and get some of that proper War Boy glow.

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 15, 2016

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I thought the plan was to avoid the interstate all together in that beast? Christmas traffic in a 55mph cop magnet is bound to be fun.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Crotch Fruit posted:

I thought the plan was to avoid the interstate all together in that beast? Christmas traffic in a 55mph cop magnet is bound to be fun.

Just need a shitload of those PBA stickers all over the truck.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think people keep forgetting that the L05 is probably near double the power of the I6 the truck came with.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fermented Tinal posted:

I think people keep forgetting that the L05 is probably near double the power of the I6 the truck came with.

Even still, that thing is going to sway and blow around a lot with an empty bed and it'll probably get straight squirrelly above 60mph.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The bed's framed entirely by wood if the pictures aren't lying. I would consider disassembling the tailgate, and chopping the bed sides down to like 2' tall or whatever height the first wooden crosspieces are at. Then just harvest the hardware and toss it in the height-reduced bed. It'll take off a lot of weight, and likely help with stability since the rotten sides will be less prone to shaking the rear end-end of the truck as they wobble in the wind.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So are you going to swap the SBC into the jeep when you get to Florida and drive that to California?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Fermented Tinal posted:

The bed's framed entirely by wood if the pictures aren't lying. I would consider disassembling the tailgate, and chopping the bed sides down to like 2' tall or whatever height the first wooden crosspieces are at. Then just harvest the hardware and toss it in the height-reduced bed. It'll take off a lot of weight, and likely help with stability since the rotten sides will be less prone to shaking the rear end-end of the truck as they wobble in the wind.

Looking at the pictures, it looks like the stakes sit in brackets at the bottom of the bed, so it might even be possible to just lift the bed front and sides out of the brackets, and lay them flat on the bed and ratchet strap them down. That way the cutting could be kept to a minimum.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
I'm worried about reducing the weight in the back too much over snowy/freezing roads. Before, there was going to be a car or jeep in the back, now it's just empty.

Or am I overthinking on something this heavy overall?

Also, this thing have a functional cigarette lighter? Because an electric car blanket might not be amiss.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

TheNothingNew posted:

I'm worried about reducing the weight in the back too much over snowy/freezing roads. Before, there was going to be a car or jeep in the back, now it's just empty.

Or am I overthinking on something this heavy overall?

Also, this thing have a functional cigarette lighter? Because an electric car blanket might not be amiss.
It is a thing that some people with trucks get bags of sand or similar and put them in the bed to help with traction in winter. That said, I've never driven a truck and haven't really ever driven in snowy/icy conditions, so I don't know if that's something that actually helps, or if it's something that people just do because people have always done it.

Decreasing the rear profile to avoid getting blown off the road by high winds doesn't sound like the worst idea, especially if the sides come off easily as suggested by n0tqu1tesane.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Y'all are need in to dial it back. I'm the fastest jeepslinger in the west, I got this :clint:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I'm the fastest jeepslinger in the west, I got this :clint:

HOLD MY BEER OWL PELLETS, WATCH THIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Forecasted weekend low of -30°F :stare:

• Locked thread